2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

On 10/27/2016 at 3:31 PM, lionheartkc said:

Actually, I have no problem understanding Holloman or Hand.  Holloman is in a time were, first Auburn was a place where good receivers go to die, and now we're loaded and breaking the rotation will be tough.  As for Hand... not to say he got paid, but bama does pay well.

I get it if someone doesn't like the whole family feel of Auburn... I mean, I don't get it, but different strokes and all. What I really do not get is a top running back choosing Ole Miss over us. There are so many more places where a running back could get... well... more. Auburn, on paper, is the BEST place for a running back to land. Ole Miss isn't even in the top 20.

It's probably something to do with a girl... nothing makes us guys stupider than a girl :)

I just remember getting hyped for Hand because he took a unofficial here with Karibi Dede right after he took over the Head Coaching Job at his high school. He said well they showed me a construction site ( where the wellness Kitchen was being built.)  Like really dude? really? thats all you got out of your visit? Come on bro!!! That quickly killed any hope I had that we had a snowballs chance in hell of landing him.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/27/2016 at 1:40 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I just remember getting hyped for Hand because he took a unofficial here with Karibi Dede right after he took over the Head Coaching Job at his high school. He said well they showed me a construction site ( where the wellness Kitcheb was being built.)  Like really dude? really? thats all you got out of your visit? Come on bro!!! That quickly killed any hope I had that we had a snowballs chance in hell of landing him.

I want to run it down Hands throat! Throw Evans and Foster in too.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

i wonder since he was kinda favored to Ole Miss, if this game had any impact on him looking harder at AU.

Ole Miss equals less talent and less competition at rb. Maybe he's thinking big fish in a little pond.

From all sources, some informed and some probably not, Akers simply does not like the Auburn atmosphere. Team, campus and probably Toomer's lemonade don't suit his tastes. That's hard for us to understand but it happens on rare occasion. If he's truly not a "fit" here both AU and Akers are better off if he goes elsewhere.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

His loss. Why Auburn doesn't attract anymore  stud RB's than they do is still surprising.

It doesn't really matter when our 3 stars end up being one of the best backs in the country.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

From all sources, some informed and some probably not, Akers simply does not like the Auburn atmosphere. Team, campus and probably Toomer's lemonade don't suit his tastes. That's hard for us to understand but it happens on rare occasion. If he's truly not a "fit" here both AU and Akers are better off if he goes elsewhere.

Not suprising at all since he was committed to bama at first. How bama and AU sell themselves is completely different. Kid appreciates the no nonsense business approach and not the family angle we live by and sell. I get it.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It doesn't really matter when our 3 stars end up being one of the best backs in the country.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you.... Matters to me because you'd think stud RB's would want to play for Auburn. Three star RBs leading the SEC in rushing is the exception not the norm.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Maybe it doesn't matter to you.... Matters to me because you'd think stud RB's would want to play for Auburn. Three star RBs leading the SEC in rushing is the exception not the norm.

Devan Barrett is a absolutely filthy stud animal adonis. Our last 2 five star rbs did not exactly work out the best for us. Hell last 3 if you want to count dyer being booted after 2 successful seasons. our last 3 five star rbs did not finish their careers at AU.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Devan Barrett is a absolutely filthy stud animal adonis. Our last 2 five star rbs did not exactly work out the best for us. Hell last 3 if you want to count dyer being booted after 2 successful seasons. our last 3 five star rbs did not finish their careers at AU.

Kerryon is a five star talent? Our last few five stars at RB had talent. Cannot predict future off the problems. Cannot predict Roc being scared to get hit or his fumbles. Why don't you look at the success rate of ALL the four star and five star, blue chip RBs and not just at a small sample size. 

I think GWill has a valid point. The last three 5 stars we have had have been a bust (meaning they haven't worked out), maybe if we spent less time chasing 5 stars and scouting and developing 3 and 4 stars, that have immense desire to succeed, then maybe we will continue to have RBs who over achieve. JMHO :dunno:

I mean we put alot of time and money into recruiting Javon, two scholarships, untold money bringing him here and trying to convince him to choose us; the likelihood of 5 stars having attitude problems is greater than 3 or 4 stars who really want to play and end up becoming team players. I know we could give examples all day long, but it is hard to argue about the last three 5 stars not working out for us.  

43 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I mean we put alot of time and money into recruiting Javon, two scholarships, untold money bringing him here and trying to convince him to choose us; the likelihood of 5 stars having attitude problems is greater than 3 or 4 stars who really want to play and end up becoming team players. I know we could give examples all day long, but it is hard to argue about the last three 5 stars not working out for us.  

For one, I don't care to have a recruiting strategy versus production level debate. I clearly stated that I didn't understand why the blue chip RBs have never chomped at the bit to play for Auburn given our success at running the ball. We are always among the leagues leaders at rushing the football. Once we led the SEC two years in a row. One year we even led the whole nation. 

Number two, if I wanted to have a recruiting strategy debate,I'd say the following excerpted comment is baseless and nothing but opinion.  

52 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

the likelihood of 5 stars having attitude problems is greater than 3 or 4 stars who really want to play and end up becoming team players

ESPN considered Kerryon Johnson a five star, is he not working out just fine for us? He was a top 50 high four star on 247 as well. He has an amazing attitude and is an extremely polite young man. 

Jovon (not "javon") was a five star talent that was well worth the recruitment just based on his talent alone. Without the attitude, he would've easily beaten out 3* Peyton Barber for the starting spot and would've went well over 1000 yards. Easily.  Michael Dyer's talent was well worth the recruitment as well.  Nobody could guess that Michael Dyer would change so much after he won the National Championship as a true freshman. Every five star out there isn't like Dyer. They all won't become busts thanks to off the field incidents. There are plenty of good five stars out there and there are countless three stars out there that have needed discipline for their actions.

Suggesting that we shouldn't go after them because they're inclined to have a bad attitude is dumb. Straight up dumb. 

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I think GWill has a valid point. The last three 5 stars we have had have been a bust (meaning they haven't worked out), maybe if we spent less time chasing 5 stars and scouting and developing 3 and 4 stars, that have immense desire to succeed, then maybe we will continue to have RBs who over achieve. JMHO :dunno:

It is not about recruiting any or all 5-star, but the correct 5-star.   There is a reason they are ranked that high because their talent but that does not mean they will succeed.   The coaches have to do their homework and bring in the right ones.   

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Kerryon is a five star talent? Our last few five stars at RB had talent. Cannot predict future off the problems. Cannot predict Roc being scared to get hit or his fumbles. Why don't you look at the success rate of ALL the four star and five star, blue chip RBs and not just at a small sample size. 

dyer, roc and jovon were all 5 stars on at least 1 site.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

dyer, roc and jovon were all 5 stars on at least 1 site.

And Kerryon. I can see why you would choose to leave him off the list. Doesnt support your agenda.

WOW, aujeff, you really read between the lines in what someone is saying. Reading things into what someone says is a bad habit and usually leads to a lot of misunderstandings,  do you have problems communicating with those around you? you really should just take what someone is saying and NOT what you want it to say. 

I don't think GWill has any kind of agenda, i just think he is trying to say that the fact that someone is a 5 star doesn't mean a lot and to chase after 5 stars isn't wise, that's all. Sounds like maybe you've had too much caffeine, back away from the coffee and we'll all be a lot better. 

Oh, by the way, thanks for correcting me about Jovon's name, clearly typed too quickly and didn't check. :hellyeah:

12 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

WOW, aujeff, you really read between the lines in what someone is saying. Reading things into what someone says is a bad habit and usually leads to a lot of misunderstandings,  do you have problems communicating with those around you? you really should just take what someone is saying and NOT what you want it to say. 

I don't think GWill has any kind of agenda, i just think he is trying to say that the fact that someone is a 5 star doesn't mean a lot and to chase after 5 stars isn't wise, that's all. Sounds like maybe you've had too much caffeine, back away from the coffee and we'll all be a lot better. 

Oh, by the way, thanks for correcting me about Jovon's name, clearly typed too quickly and didn't check. :hellyeah:

You said,

50 minutes ago, lala said:

the likelihood of 5 stars having attitude problems is greater than 3 or 4 stars who really want to play and end up becoming team players. 

This is not the case and I didn't put those words in your mouth. If you need to convey your message more clearly ,be my guest

17 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I just think he is trying to say that the fact that someone is a 5 star doesn't mean a lot and to chase after 5 stars isn't wise, that's all.

Who is chasing after five stars. I've said three times I'm not worried about the recruiting strategy. As I've said over and over again, I'm more so miffed as to why we are not getting more looks from the blue chip recruits. So maybe you should put your coffee down as well ☕️

38 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And Kerryon. I can see why you would choose to leave him off the list. Doesnt support your agenda.

what site was kerryon a 5 star on? I seriously did not know that. My agenda is were Auburn we don't need "elite" talent to get elite results at rb. Its not like were only getting a bunch of 2 and 3 stars at rb either.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

My agenda is were Auburn we don't need "elite" talent to get elite results.

Well then why go after Carl Lawson, Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, etc? Talent can be developed and it can come prepackaged.

ESPN had Kerryon as a 5*.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Well then why go after Carl Lawson, Derrick Brown, Marlon Davidson, etc? Talent can be developed and it can come prepackaged.

I edited it and put for rbs. I agree with you on other positions but for rb we can get by just fine with high 4 stars and the lot. WOOOO LETS GO NOW! enough of this bickering its pointless fam! WAR DAMN EAGLE!!! lets dab on em!

To not go after 5 star running backs is the most idiotic thing I've ever read.  Just because Gus has success with 3 and 4 stars?????  Auburn has plenty of $$$ to recruit everyone the coaches think will help keep us in the top of college football.  And they have the time to do it as well.  That's what they get paid millions and hundreds of thousands to do.

2 minutes ago, tinman said:

To not go after 5 star running backs is the most idiotic thing I've ever read.  Just because Gus has success with 3 and 4 stars?????  Auburn has plenty of $$$ to recruit everyone the coaches think will help keep us in the top of college football.  And they have the time to do it as well.  That's what they get paid millions and hundreds of thousands to do.

lol no one is advocating not going for the best recruits.  We are pointing out the huge success we have had with ANY rb gus has had regardless of how many stars.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no one is advocating not going for the best recruits.  We are pointing out the huge success we have had with ANY rb gus has had regardless of how many stars.

My bad then.  I mis-read you post.  I read it as "we're Auburn and we don't need no 5 star running backs".  Sorry.

Archived