2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

49 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Running Backs at Cam Akers level are not afraid of competition. Some athletes are just better than most others and he is one of them.

I'd be more concerned with older guys already on campus and the staff's habit of putting lots of emphasis on seniority. 

Of course, high school kids have their own criteria when looking at schools though.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the running back position (in particular), I'd say the staff has consistently leaned toward productivity. Heck, even last year, Barber was our most productive guy early in the season. The deal with Jovon Robinson had little to do with his seniority or productivity, but they went with Barber and Kerryon over Roc despite the fact that Roc had more experience coming into the season. Moving backward in time, Tre Mason won the job based on his on-field performance; same for Cameron Artis-Payne.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We have not had a 5 star High School RB commit since Michael Dyer in the 2010 class. I just do not get why these elite RB and DT QB recruits would not want to come to Auburn to play for gus after they see what has done with every RB and how great Cam and Marshall were with Gus.

Roc Thomas was a 5 star in the 2014 class.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Roc Thomas was a 5 star in the 2014 class.

I have a feeling you LOVE doing that to people and telling people they are wrong... lol but yah you got me. your right why did I forget him? probaly because the last 3 five star rbs period HS or JUCO we have signed have not finished their career at AU.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have a feeling you LOVE doing that to people and telling people they are wrong... lol but yah you got me. your right why did I forget him? probaly because the last 3 five star rbs period HS or JUCO we have signed have not finished their career at AU.

I don't love doing that to other people. It's just something unfortunately I'm OCD about.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't love doing that to other people. It's just something unfortunately I'm OCD about.

haha fair enough. Unfortunately roc never flashed 5 star potential at AU that Dyer did or even jovon showed at the end of last year.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think is was certainly fair for E to say this. It does point out our recruiting at RB is just fine. Mason was a 4 star and in his senior year he got to attend the Heisman ceremony, not bad. 

21 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I think is was certainly fair for E to say this. It does point out our recruiting at RB is just fine. Mason was a 4 star and in his senior year he got to attend the Heisman ceremony, not bad. 

To be fair it was his junior year cause he left early. I'll take productivity over stars any day. 3 or 5 star, as long as thru keto the trend of being good and 1000 yard rushers im good

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude, don't be so sensitive.

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Dude, don't be so sensitive.

bro I put lol so clearly that means I am cool with it. maybe your a haha kind of guy though.

great strides forward.:big:

On 10/6/2016 at 4:48 PM, ellitor said:

Image result for obsessive compulsive gif

39 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

any chance Akers was in Starkville today? He has to like the chance to be a 25-30 carry guy at AU.

IDK the answer to that but another big target was in Buggs!!!! He had to love the fat guy td he saw by Monty!!! WOOOOOO!!!!

9 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

any chance Akers was in Starkville today? He has to like the chance to be a 25-30 carry guy at AU.

I am not sure  he would think he would get that many touches  given  we will have 8 other scholarship tailbacks on roster as things stand now.

KJ

Bubba

Malik

K-Mart

Truitt

Barrett

Alaric

Matthews

Yes Akres is a more talented Runner then all those guys except maybe KJ. However there is more to being a running back then being a runner. For example pass blocking is an important skill to Coach Horton. He will lean to playing  the player  who runs  and blocks well. Freshman typically have the toughest time learning to pass block. It's either tough to grasp or some just don't have the desire to.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

IDK the answer to that but another big target was in Buggs!!!! He had to love the fat guy td he saw by Monty!!! WOOOOOO!!!!

True. Although Buggs needs to pick things up himself. He's been very unimpressive this season especially for a 5 star on one site. Unless he turns things around I would rather the staff look elsewhere for a Juco DT or a SDE.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

True. Although Buggs needs to pick things up himself. He's been very unimpressive this season especially for a 5 star on one site. Unless he turns things around I would rather the staff look elsewhere for a Juco DT or a SDE.

reminds me of another certain 5 star juco player we got recently where things did not end well who had a meh last juco season. Spoiler: NOT DUKE.

On 10/6/2016 at 1:50 PM, Tiger said:

I'd be more concerned with older guys already on campus and the staff's habit of putting lots of emphasis on seniority. 

I believe our current team has thrown a giant monkey wrench into that theory.  Just look at our wide receivers... no favoritism for seniority there.

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I believe our current team has thrown a giant monkey wrench into that theory.  Just look at our wide receivers... no favoritism for seniority there.

Consider me super glad we are deviating from that pattern!

14 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Cam has to love the potential he can have in this AU offense.  Combined with the success we've had with guys named Cam, what is he waiting on?

He's not high on AU. Our chances of landing him are probably around 5%.

17 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Cam has to love the potential he can have in this AU offense.  Combined with the success we've had with guys named Cam, what is he waiting on?

Most are projecting Cam to Ole Miss. I hate this because I think a Akers/Patterson backfield for Ole Miss will make them very tough. Frankly, I am hoping the NCAA comes down hard on e Miss and Cam rethinks where he will go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2016 at 10:10 AM, JFDTiger80 said:

Most are projecting Cam to Ole Miss. I hate this because I think a Akers/Patterson backfield for Ole Miss will make them very tough. Frankly, I am hoping the NCAA comes down hard on e Miss and Cam rethinks where he will go.

Or maybe Ole Miss will fall into a complete nose dive to finish the season, and AU will keep playing at or above their current level. That has to look fairly good to a talent like Cam.

Hey, a fan can dream. 

Just now, AUDevil said:

Laughable that the truly elite RBs like Cam Akers aren't falling over themselves to come to AU. Gus produces with 3 and 4 stars.

I do not mean to knock the kid (of course everyone says that before they criticize a person lol) but if Gus can get Peyton Barber to 1k yards he truly can get ANYONE there. 

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I do not mean to knock the kid (of course everyone says that before they criticize a person lol) but if Gus can get Peyton Barber to 1k yards he truly can get ANYONE there. 

Peyton went for 84 and a TD yesterday for the Bucs. Of course, the guy ahead of him went for a buck fitty...

Archived