Jf3 vs OMac

bigbird

The whole situation seems to be a really dubious one in all honesty. In terms of playing in the slot, JFIII may have the speed to thrive there, however, typically (Depending on which type of slot that we are even talking about.) The slot is a position for your most experienced WRs, not just a speed guy. The question has to be asked about how well does he know the route tree and be VERY savvy in his running to be able to threaten fast Nickel Backs lined up against him and or dedicated to him. Last year, there was Ricardo Louis playing that slot position and getting some speed sweep looks, which would be sort of a watered down hybrid role of what OMacc did. Still, he had enough ability as a WR to not lead to a situation where people were ultimately disregarding the pass game. JFIII would have to be a viable threat as a receiver to even be effectively used in this role, otherwise you take an offense, which already has suspect passing ability and nearly completely dedicate it to the run, just with different hands. That would leave only 2 viable WRs, depending on who the RB was since Kerryon does have some pass catching ability. Because of our lack of a decent TE, and our H-Backs being primarily run-blockers, teams would simply place a safety or large corner into the nickel and let him play closer to the line to mitigate the threat of not having enough defenders there to cover a triple option. Going back to a system where you remove a credible pass threat with an occasional one and hinge on speed with a suspect QB situation spells trouble.....

When you're playing with a QB that isn't a top flight QB and you don't have a TE working inside close enough to the line of scrimmage to act as a safe check-down, you need to have a veteran slot who can bail him out or that QB is going to be sitting the rest of the season out with an injury.

Good points all around, thanks Flex. Always enjoy reading your posts.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole situation seems to be a really dubious one in all honesty. In terms of playing in the slot, JFIII may have the speed to thrive there, however, typically (Depending on which type of slot that we are even talking about.) The slot is a position for your most experienced WRs, not just a speed guy. The question has to be asked about how well does he know the route tree and be VERY savvy in his running to be able to threaten fast Nickel Backs lined up against him and or dedicated to him. Last year, there was Ricardo Louis playing that slot position and getting some speed sweep looks, which would be sort of a watered down hybrid role of what OMacc did. Still, he had enough ability as a WR to not lead to a situation where people were ultimately disregarding the pass game. JFIII would have to be a viable threat as a receiver to even be effectively used in this role, otherwise you take an offense, which already has suspect passing ability and nearly completely dedicate it to the run, just with different hands. That would leave only 2 viable WRs, depending on who the RB was since Kerryon does have some pass catching ability. Because of our lack of a decent TE, and our H-Backs being primarily run-blockers, teams would simply place a safety or large corner into the nickel and let him play closer to the line to mitigate the threat of not having enough defenders there to cover a triple option. Going back to a system where you remove a credible pass threat with an occasional one and hinge on speed with a suspect QB situation spells trouble.....

When you're playing with a QB that isn't a top flight QB and you don't have a TE working inside close enough to the line of scrimmage to act as a safe check-down, you need to have a veteran slot who can bail him out or that QB is going to be sitting the rest of the season out with an injury.

Right about the slot role in general pertaining to other offences. However, Gus commonly uses a smaller scat back type at slot for the jet sweeps and screens, as well as a more traditional WR for the down field routes.

o

Louis was a pretty sized guy...not the usual jet sweep kinda guy...?

Right about the slot role in general pertaining to other offences. However, Gus commonly uses a smaller scat back type at slot for the jet sweeps and screens, as well as a more traditional WR for the down field routes.

o

Louis was a pretty sized guy...not the usual jet sweep kinda guy...?

I said commonly. He used Roc in that role some too, he wouldn't necessarily be considered a small scat back. I was just referring to Grant and Omac types he's used there.

JFIII will be the QB, not Sean White. We do not need a repeat of last year. Jeremy Johnson doesn't need to be in there either. JFIII...JFIII.

I hope he starts and our offensive motto is like 2013. We are going to run it try and stop it, sprinkle in 10-15 passes per game. Our D will be improved. Otherwise we are looking at 7-8 wins with SW at qB.

On the other hand, if he doesn't take the QB job, it'd be a shame not to have him somewhere on the field occasionally with the ball in his hands with that kind of speed and elusiveness.

I'd agree that there are better options for the slot...and add that I do hope the TE plays a more significant role in the passing game that it has in the past few years.

I would say SW should probably start, but we can't let opposing defenses know they can blitz and completely shut us down. How long will it take to get good QB play again?

SW or JF3, we at least get something we didn't have for two-thirds of last season--accuracy or a running ability.

Teams succeed without mobile QBs. In fact it is typically considered the norm. Now, the offense needs to be geared towards whomever we start. This has really been our issue recently. Get receivers running legitimate routes and use a play action appropriately; watch the whole world open up for us. Most importantly, no designated read options or bubble screens without any blockers.

Digressing, this topic is about the comparison of McCalebb and JFIII so I think we can avoid the QB hate in this thread.

If Gus starts White and trys to use the same offense he did last year then :puke:/> .

On the other hand, if he doesn't take the QB job, it'd be a shame not to have him somewhere on the field occasionally with the ball in his hands with that kind of speed and elusiveness.

I'd agree that there are better options for the slot...and add that I do hope the TE plays a more significant role in the passing game that it has in the past few years.

Yeah, I suppose that was my thinking. Just get him the ball somehow. I thought maybe slot was the spot but some far more informed football minds have set us straight on that. It seems a wildcat-esque package might be the answer.

As for TE, I wonder if we might instead see a lot more passing to the RBs and HBs. I think Landon Rice might give us something but I can't imagine us having a true weapon there this year.

I would say SW should probably start, but we can't let opposing defenses know they can blitz and completely shut us down. How long will it take to get good QB play again?

SW or JF3, we at least get something we didn't have for two-thirds of last season--accuracy or a running ability.

Teams succeed without mobile QBs. In fact it is typically considered the norm. Now, the offense needs to be geared towards whomever we start. This has really been our issue recently. Get receivers running legitimate routes and use a play action appropriately; watch the whole world open up for us. Most importantly, no designated read options or bubble screens without any blockers.

Digressing, this topic is about the comparison of McCalebb and JFIII so I think we can avoid the QB hate in this thread.

If Gus starts White and trys to use the same offense he did last year then :puke:/> .

If White lands the starting QB job, he won't be running the zone read very often. He'll have plenty of weapons around him.

Thanks, I've been saying this every time somebody likes to throw out he'd be a hell of a wr or he can easily play o mac's role....

Did O Mac or Grant catch that many passes from that slot type position? I don't remember that they did, mostly running. I could be wrong but I sure don't remember them as much of pass threats.

I just hope whoever wins the Starting QB jobs is efficient. Not the JJ during the beginning of the season or the SW that played in the Birmingham bowl and in other duties throughout the year 1 TD pass isn't going to cut it. Honestly I am hoping one of the Vets emerges because they have the knowledge of how the offense works and seem to be better passers. Our WR's are supposed to be good. It would be nice for someone to actually thrown them the ball.

I just hope whoever wins the Starting QB jobs is efficient. Not the JJ during the beginning of the season or the SW that played in the Birmingham bowl and in other duties throughout the year 1 TD pass isn't going to cut it. Honestly I am hoping one of the Vets emerges because they have the knowledge of how the offense works and seem to be better passers. Our WR's are supposed to be good. It would be nice for someone to actually thrown them the ball.

Post edited. We don't bash the players here.

I think it is probably ambitious to think the WRs will be good very early. i certainly hope they are but it will take some quick maturing. this is the only reason i think JF3 even has a chance to be named starter.

In all honesty, it could work and if it did, he would be ideal. His height is good as a WR and his speed is obviously there. Just depends on is he a good route runner or would he be running verts all day and just hopefully catching something. As stated before, you want him to be able to cut through the middle of the field otherwise you'd have to put him on the edge to let him operate like Sammy did in terms of running vertical almost every pass.

In all honesty, it could work and if it did, he would be ideal. His height is good as a WR and his speed is obviously there. Just depends on is he a good route runner or would he be running verts all day and just hopefully catching something. As stated before, you want him to be able to cut through the middle of the field otherwise you'd have to put him on the edge to let him operate like Sammy did in terms of running vertical almost every pass.

Seems to me that the key point with our receivers is to have a quarterback who can hit them on the move. We seem to throw a great number of "spot " passes and depend on the receiver to break coverage after he has the ball.

Baylor and other teams seem to develop their passing game with quick passes into the gaps behind the linebacker and hit the receiver in full stride. We just don't seem to do much of that?

I think you'll see more quick passes this season, in lieu of those long developing plays/routes we have been seeing. Besides that, who's to say it is ambitious to think one or more of the hotshot WR's that have just arrived will make an impact? It happens at schools all across the country every year. Just look at A&M and Bama last season alone. That's just in the SEC West.

I think you'll see more quick passes this season, in lieu of those long developing plays/routes we have been seeing. Besides that, who's to say it is ambitious to think one or more of the hotshot WR's that have just arrived will make an impact? It happens at schools all across the country every year. Just look at A&M and Bama last season alone. That's just in the SEC West.

Agree, wide receiver seems to be a role , along with running back , that freshmen can move into right away. Speed, guts, and good hands can go a long way .

Agree, wide receiver seems to be a role , along with running back , that freshmen can move into right away. Speed, guts, and good hands can go a long way .

+2. My only question with the young WRs is will they be able to handle the big moments in games; mental aspect. I fully expect the true freshmen and soph. guys to outperform our veteran WRs. Besides Marcus Davis. I just think Kyle and Nate are just that good and just gammers overall. They know the playbook then they're going to make an impact. It's about will we give them the chance early on. I really hope we do!

Post edited. We don't bash the players here.

Have you responded to other post when almost everyone put down Jeremy Johnson or is because I mentioned white? For awhile I have noticed Mods defending white when he was average at best last season. Just asking...

+2. My only question with the young WRs is will they be able to handle the big moments in games; mental aspect. I fully expect the true freshmen and soph. guys to outperform our veteran WRs. Besides Marcus Davis. I just think Kyle and Nate are just that good and just gammers overall. They know the playbook then they're going to make an impact. It's about will we give them the chance early on. I really hope we do!

Agreed. Look at all the freshmen receivers in the SEC that have had great years over the last decade.

Depends on more than that...he actually will have to be able to catch. He needs to be able to block. He has to be able to take hits. And at this state he will actually need to have alot of natural instincts because he didn't practice the position over spring and summer

Archived