Jf3 vs OMac

bigbird

I agree about they play calling. If we run an O similar to 09 with Tate and Todd using multiple power runs, play action passing, and pre-snap motion/misdirection then we have the pieces in place to be very dangerous. It all rest in the play calling for me.

This. I'm really not sure what the outcry is, we'll be fine with SW. Hell, Todd had a noodle arm. Last year was geared towards JJ, then JJ happened and injuries and the playbook never recovered.

There is the AUF patented phrase again : We'll be fine.

You seem to think that the offense was ineffective because our offense was geared to one particular QB but that one guy didn't pan out leaving the next QB up with a short stack of cards. Which begs two questions:

1. Why could we not adjust the playbook for the next guy?

Lastly

2. Is this going to happen every time we have a backup?

GREAT question....I mean we don't know how to make adjustments? They started playing Saw in the weakest part of our schedule where we could have won three straight games without a qb. We really going to lean on that excuse?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree about they play calling. If we run an O similar to 09 with Tate and Todd using multiple power runs, play action passing, and pre-snap motion/misdirection then we have the pieces in place to be very dangerous. It all rest in the play calling for me.

This. I'm really not sure what the outcry is, we'll be fine with SW. Hell, Todd had a noodle arm. Last year was geared towards JJ, then JJ happened and injuries and the playbook never recovered.

You seen to think that the offense was ineffective because our offense was geared to one particular QB but that one guy didn't pan out leaving the next QB up with a short stack of cards. Which begs two questions:

Lastly

1) when you install an offense for 6 months and it goes to s*** in 3 weeks, you can't recover over night. Especially in the SEC. We got better as the year went on, but nobody predicted JJs downfall. Throw in the turnovers and the playbook changed drastically as the season went on. You can't really prepare for that as a head coach.

2) if the back up has a different set of skills then yes it will. Look at 08 as an example. Kodi and Todd couldn't run the same offense but they were attempting to make them.

You'd think no matter what that we could make it work even if the starter goes down for the season. I think it's just that we need more quality players at QB

Agree, what is the point of being 3 deep at quarterback if only one of them can actually run the offense?

When you're three deep but each QB has different skill sets you're in trouble.

You seen to think that the offense was ineffective because our offense was geared to one particular QB but that one guy didn't pan out leaving the next QB up with a short stack of cards. Which begs two questions:

Lastly

1) when you install an offense for 6 months and it goes to s*** in 3 weeks, you can't recover over night. Especially in the SEC. We got better as the year went on, but nobody predicted JJs downfall. Throw in the turnovers and the playbook changed drastically as the season went on. You can't really prepare for that as a head coach.

2) if the back up has a different set of skills then yes it will. Look at 08 as an example. Kodi and Todd couldn't run the same offense but they were attempting to make them.

You'd think no matter what that we could make it work even if the starter goes down for the season. I think it's just that we need more quality players at QB

And after you take the option and qb power runs out what is the difference in skill set?

Lastly

And after you take the option and qb power runs out what is the difference in skill set?

not much. i don't remember (if you are referring to jj and sw) us having any option.

Lastly

Agree, what is the point of being 3 deep at quarterback if only one of them can actually run the offense?

Sad...I remember at one point Gus had the infamous reputation of being able to win with any type of QB. Times have quickly changed.

Also, crazy how we are back around to this QB discussion again after a JF3-OMac comparison.

I know..I know..It is only July.

I'm not saying he can't win with them, I'm saying you're not going to make that switch overnight and then to have to do it again after an injury is a problem.

Lastly

Sad...I remember at one point Gus had the infamous reputation of being able to win with any type of QB. Times have quickly changed.

Also, crazy how we are back around to this QB discussion again after a JF3-OMac comparison.

I know..I know..It is only July.

Its up to Gus to resurrect his reputation as a jack of all trades offensive Mensa-man then. His reputation obviously took a hit from the offensive performances last year. Gus bolting to get some quick legs from juco makes it seem like he is more comfortable with DT QB's also so maybe he is not as versatile many people would like to think. That reputation doesn't mean diddly squat though. If we do better with DT quarterbacks, then stick with them. Just win baby!!

Rather JF3 play QB and ball.

I think we all know JFIII will be taking the first snaps on Sep. 3

I don't think this at the moment. Maybe I will after summer is over and fall camp starts. I like the potential of JF3 but as of today, I see SW taking the first snap. I think experience will be looked at more than potential in the first game against the #2 team in country and work the other guys in. JF3 will definitely have some packages and if those go well, we could see him more throughout.

People are quick to forget, O mac was running to the outside and even when there was a chance to break it like Grant. He was quick but very scared of getting hit. He saw pressure and would go out.

People are quick to forget, O mac was running to the outside and even when there was a chance to break it like Grant. He was quick but very scared of getting hit. He saw pressure and would go out.

i don't think he was scared at all. He was smart. Sometimes he looked like he could have got more I think it was the instructions he got and habit that took him out.

i don't think he was scared at all. He was smart. Sometimes he looked like he could have got more I think it was the instructions he got and habit that took him out.

It was smart. I remember he got lit up once and for the rest of the game he was headed for the sidelines. Quick as a cat though

The only problem with having JF3 and Martin in the same backfield is that their running strength is in the same area, the outside. The reason OMac was so good is the threat from Cam's inside power.

I think Martin is going to be ok between the tackles.

Martin is going to add a real step to our RB position. He will not take the role from Jovon or Kerryon, but he will add some unique wrinkles. Before he leaves AU, he could be a very special player. Give him a few years to grow and add some weight. This year, I see him in the OMAC role and special teams role, but he will play.

Of course all of this is predicated on no injuries to Jovon or Kerryon. Injuries could change everything.

I would guess that Pettway and Miller would be ahead of Martin for RB1 reps. Not because he's too small- man, are we ever obsessed with weight at that position- but because he likely has skills in space that most of our other guys don't. It was the same thing with Roc. He wasn't too small to play RB.

I hope like hell that we can get Franklin in space with the ball, even if he does win the QB job.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm hearing Kam Martin may be the fastest player on the team after his arrival. Several Auburn folks were blow away by his speed.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm hearing Kam Martin may be the fastest player on the team after his arrival. Several Auburn folks were blow away by his speed.

Just watch his film and you'll know that he's fast enough to be very excited about.

Besides, alexeva knows the only standard that matters...

I feel like that really started after that hit he took against Clemson in '10 i believe.

None the less, he knew when he needed to turn it up field. Just look at that run he had against LSU the same year

Rather JF3 play QB and ball.

I think we all know JFIII will be taking the first snaps on Sep. 3

I don't think this at the moment. Maybe I will after summer is over and fall camp starts. I like the potential of JF3 but as of today, I see SW taking the first snap. I think experience will be looked at more than potential in the first game against the #2 team in country and work the other guys in. JF3 will definitely have some packages and if those go well, we could see him more throughout.

I feel this way as well. It's highly likely whomever the starter is game 1 will not be the starter by the end of the season. I think experience is going to be highly valued by Gus unless JF3 passing has tremendously improved since spring. Unfortunately i don't think our QB situation will not be settled until game 3 or 4 despite who starts up until that point. I'm just hoping that one of them can step up and control of the position and the team quickly because we don't have time to mess around.

The whole situation seems to be a really dubious one in all honesty. In terms of playing in the slot, JFIII may have the speed to thrive there, however, typically (Depending on which type of slot that we are even talking about.) The slot is a position for your most experienced WRs, not just a speed guy. The question has to be asked about how well does he know the route tree and be VERY savvy in his running to be able to threaten fast Nickel Backs lined up against him and or dedicated to him. Last year, there was Ricardo Louis playing that slot position and getting some speed sweep looks, which would be sort of a watered down hybrid role of what OMacc did. Still, he had enough ability as a WR to not lead to a situation where people were ultimately disregarding the pass game. JFIII would have to be a viable threat as a receiver to even be effectively used in this role, otherwise you take an offense, which already has suspect passing ability and nearly completely dedicate it to the run, just with different hands. That would leave only 2 viable WRs, depending on who the RB was since Kerryon does have some pass catching ability. Because of our lack of a decent TE, and our H-Backs being primarily run-blockers, teams would simply place a safety or large corner into the nickel and let him play closer to the line to mitigate the threat of not having enough defenders there to cover a triple option. Going back to a system where you remove a credible pass threat with an occasional one and hinge on speed with a suspect QB situation spells trouble.....

When you're playing with a QB that isn't a top flight QB and you don't have a TE working inside close enough to the line of scrimmage to act as a safe check-down, you need to have a veteran slot who can bail him out or that QB is going to be sitting the rest of the season out with an injury.

The whole situation seems to be a really dubious one in all honesty. In terms of playing in the slot, JFIII may have the speed to thrive there, however, typically (Depending on which type of slot that we are even talking about.) The slot is a position for your most experienced WRs, not just a speed guy. The question has to be asked about how well does he know the route tree and be VERY savvy in his running to be able to threaten fast Nickel Backs lined up against him and or dedicated to him. Last year, there was Ricardo Louis playing that slot position and getting some speed sweep looks, which would be sort of a watered down hybrid role of what OMacc did. Still, he had enough ability as a WR to not lead to a situation where people were ultimately disregarding the pass game. JFIII would have to be a viable threat as a receiver to even be effectively used in this role, otherwise you take an offense, which already has suspect passing ability and nearly completely dedicate it to the run, just with different hands. That would leave only 2 viable WRs, depending on who the RB was since Kerryon does have some pass catching ability. Because of our lack of a decent TE, and our H-Backs being primarily run-blockers, teams would simply place a safety or large corner into the nickel and let him play closer to the line to mitigate the threat of not having enough defenders there to cover a triple option. Going back to a system where you remove a credible pass threat with an occasional one and hinge on speed with a suspect QB situation spells trouble.....

When you're playing with a QB that isn't a top flight QB and you don't have a TE working inside close enough to the line of scrimmage to act as a safe check-down, you need to have a veteran slot who can bail him out or that QB is going to be sitting the rest of the season out with an injury.

Welp. I now know a little more about football than I did a few moments ago.

Thanks Malcolm.

this is why i was so bummed about losing Roc. i was hoping/thinkinghe was that true threat from the slot or the backfield and a solid RB1 depth.

Right about the slot role in general pertaining to other offences. However, Gus commonly uses a smaller scat back type at slot for the jet sweeps and screens, as well as a more traditional WR for the down field routes.

Thanks, I've been saying this every time somebody likes to throw out he'd be a hell of a wr or he can easily play o mac's role....

Archived