Jf3 vs OMac

bigbird

Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this. The whole thread has been civil and enjoyable to read. Thanks everyone.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this. The whole thread has been civil and enjoyable to read. Thanks everyone.

Oh I'm not done yet brother!

I would say SW should probably start, but we can't let opposing defenses know they can blitz and completely shut us down. How long will it take to get good QB play again?

SW or JF3, we at least get something we didn't have for two-thirds of last season--accuracy or a running ability.

I would say SW should probably start, but we can't let opposing defenses know they can blitz and completely shut us down. How long will it take to get good QB play again?

SW or JF3, we at least get something we didn't have for two-thirds of last season--accuracy or a running ability.

Teams succeed without mobile QBs. In fact it is typically considered the norm. Now, the offense needs to be geared towards whomever we start. This has really been our issue recently. Get receivers running legitimate routes and use a play action appropriately; watch the whole world open up for us. Most importantly, no designated read options or bubble screens without any blockers.

Digressing, this topic is about the comparison of McCalebb and JFIII so I think we can avoid the QB hate in this thread.

I would say SW should probably start, but we can't let opposing defenses know they can blitz and completely shut us down.

This has little to do with the QB, either of them from last year. This was play calling and dropped passes. If there is no vertical passing threat or a guaranteed 1st down run - play calling- and any open WR down field either can't get open or drops the pass then the defense will blitz at will.

Teams succeed without mobile QBs. In fact it is typically considered the norm. Now, the offense needs to be geared towards whomever we start. This has really been our issue recently. Get receivers running legitimate routes and use a play action appropriately; watch the whole world open up for us. Most importantly, no designated read options or bubble screens without any blockers.

Digressing, this topic is about the comparison of McCalebb and JFIII so I think we can avoid the QB hate in this thread.

If Gus starts White and trys to use the same offense he did last year then :puke: .

Excellent post

If Gus starts White and trys to use the same offense he did last year then :puke: .

I don't think he has any choice but to be more confident in *all* of his personnel on offense this year. And he should be. We're deeper and much more experienced than we were last year... except on OL... grrr. #leavegolsonatcenter

I don't think he has any choice but to be more confident in *all* of his personnel on offense this year. And he should be. We're deeper and much more experienced than we were last year... except on OL... grrr. #leavegolsonatcenter

I don't think the OL is going to be a problem this year. QB and Gus Rhett's play calling are my concerns.

I agree about they play calling. If we run an O similar to 09 with Tate and Todd using multiple power runs, play action passing, and pre-snap motion/misdirection then we have the pieces in place to be very dangerous. It all rest in the play calling for me.

I agree about they play calling. If we run an O similar to 09 with Tate and Todd using multiple power runs, play action passing, and pre-snap motion/misdirection then we have the pieces in place to be very dangerous. It all rest in the play calling for me.

This. I'm really not sure what the outcry is, we'll be fine with SW. Hell, Todd had a noodle arm. Last year was geared towards JJ, then JJ happened and injuries and the playbook never recovered.

This. I'm really not sure what the outcry is, we'll be fine with SW. Hell, Todd had a noodle arm. Last year was geared towards JJ, then JJ happened and injuries and the playbook never recovered.

I think this is the most I've seen us all on the same page in quite some time.

It just takes people listening to me...and temporarily banning the old codger.

I keeeeeeeed...at least the first part.

I love this stuff. Why does it seem like offensive coaches stop doing this after a year or 2 at a place?

For the love of football, can we please run that buck sweep getting JR on the edge with Kozan and Smith pulling out in front! That was a beautiful sight in 09/10 with Isom and Berry!

For the love of football, can we please run that buck sweep getting JR on the edge with Kozan and Smith pulling out in front! That was a beautiful sight in 09/10 with Isom and Berry!

I agree and think it could be more effective with the current three

I'm in no rush to move JF3 to another position if he doesn't win the starting job. We still need a viable backup at QB b/c we know SW can be prone to injury. I get the fact we want him on the field but just like JJ last year there were packages in place to get him on the field. I'd like to see the same with JF3 if not the starter b/c he has amazing speed but i don't see why some are so quick to move him to another position. There's no comparison to him and OMac beyond speed IMO.

If Gus utilizes his talent right, there is no reason why we shouldn't have a successful offense with all the playmakers we have on the offensive end. If SW is behind the pocket, there should be a ton of options for some quick hitters to get the ball outside to the flats and let our athletes work. We do not always have to go for the home run.

A concept i was wishing for all last season. It was all or nothing.

I'm in no rush to move JF3 to another position if he doesn't win the starting job. We still need a viable backup at QB b/c we know SW can be prone to injury. I get the fact we want him on the field but just like JJ last year there were packages in place to get him on the field. I'd like to see the same with JF3 if not the starter b/c he has amazing speed but i don't see why some are so quick to move him to another position. There's no comparison to him and OMac beyond speed IMO.

I can get with that. I guess I kind of thought of that as another position, but then again Tebow was definitely a quarterback in 2006.

Now, if Franklin can play slot and wildcat, then that gives the advantage of different looks without changing personnel. Ditto for KJ at wildcat and RB, although snapping the ball to 3 guys during a game might be a bit much. I dunno.

I want to see the kid play, but if he's not a good passer, then I don't want him to be our starting QB. If we don't have a guy who can be a competent QB, then I'll just be over the whole thing and start looking forward to finding out who our next coach is.

I think we all agree that we don't want the kid wasting away on the bench no matter what.

If Gus utilizes his talent right, there is no reason why we shouldn't have a successful offense with all the playmakers we have on the offensive end. If SW is behind the pocket, there should be a ton of options for some quick hitters to get the ball outside to the flats and let our athletes work. We do not always have to go for the home run.

A concept i was wishing for all last season. It was all or nothing.

It feels like it has been that way since Gus became our HC. Screens and bombs for the most part in the passing game.

I can get with that. I guess I kind of thought of that as another position, but then again Tebow was definitely a quarterback in 2006.

Now, if Franklin can play slot and wildcat, then that gives the advantage of different looks without changing personnel. Ditto for KJ at wildcat and RB, although snapping the ball to 3 guys during a game might be a bit much. I dunno.

I want to see the kid play, but if he's not a good passer, then I don't want him to be our starting QB. If we don't have a guy who can be a competent QB, then I'll just be over the whole thing and start looking forward to finding out who our next coach is.

I think we all agree that we don't want the kid wasting away on the bench no matter what.

I certainly wouldn't have a problem if JF3 doesn't start. My main concern would be a viable backup with moving him permanently to another spot as some have suggested. We simply don't have the QB talent and depth to do that if SW is the starter IMO. I'm all for him being moved all over the field....just not a full time move since we wouldn't have a backup QB. I feel like we have a lot weapons with speed but JF3 would be a nice mix up for the offense. I've seen enough of JJ...i'd rather us take our chances with JF3 if needed as a backup QB.

WarEagle1983, you've accomplished a very rare achievement. I think you've changed my mind on the Internet.

:bow:

PS- I'm totally still pulling for Woody to be amazing, LOL

WarEagle1983, you've accomplished a very rare achievement. I think you've changed my mind on the Internet.

:bow:

PS- I'm totally still pulling for Woody to be amazing, LOL

Haha! I better take record of this then! I think Woody is going to be good as well. Just concerns me with tossing a true Freshman in games even if it's 5,6,7 etc games down the road if we needed him to start but I certainly like Woody a lot.

Nah I don't agree with it's all on the offensive play calling. Yes running sw was stupid but it's not like he ran him alot. Just too many excuses for me, everybody from the top to bottom just needs to execute better period. They say some attitudes need to change as well. That's pretty much it

Jf3= 6'0 Omac = 5'11

JF3 = 175 Omac = 170

Jf3 = 4.28 OMac = 4.34

I realize JF3 was brought in to compete for the QB position, but he would thrive in OMac's role. I believe that having SW as QB with Jovon as RB and JF3 as the speed/slot player would allow Gus to utilize the misdirection aspect of his O and open up a lot of running and passing lanes. Thoughts?

I just think that the threat of the QB running has to be part of that mix. I would thing the RB from Baylor in the Omac role and JF3 at QB would give us three solid running options on any one play. Two of the guys are so quick is that you only need a moments hesitation for them to be past the defender and Jovon has already shown he has great ability to run to daylight. I think it would remind us of the running game from 2013.

Outside of the A day game I have no idea on JF3 passing other than what I have read here.

this

Archived