JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

1 hour ago, YesWeCam said:

Why do folks care this much about JF3 as a passer? He was brought here to be a DTQB, and primarily a running QB that has a threat to throw it some.

In 2013 Marshall averaged 18 attempts per game at 59% completion percentage to have LESS than 11 completions per game, which was the fewest in the entire SEC.

I fully believe JF3 can match these numbers.

You believe he can match Marshall's numbers. Based upon what exactly? it can't be on Franklin's game experience since he has practically none. And from what I understand Marshall was a much better passer than Franklin is. 

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

You believe he can match Marshall's numbers. Based upon what exactly? it can't be on Franklin's game experience since he has practically none. And from what I understand Marshall was a much better passer than Franklin is. 

Well I would hope if FSU or us is going to take a QB then he can make 10 completions per game given 18 attempts....maybe I'm wrong. I just think that's a very low bar to set and I would think JF3 (and hopefully any SEC QB) can do that.

23 hours ago, DAG said:

No, you play whoever is in the best position to get you a victory and ask questions later. UL got smart and did this with Lamar Jackson in the 2nd half against us, last year.

Exactly....which is why i previously brought up if Gus would be willing to pull SW say if we got down by 14-17 points by halftime to Clemson. Lamar gave UL a big spark and provided a lot of problems for our defense and he was a true freshman. He was clearly very raw with passing but it was hard for teams to account for his running ability and ability to extend plays for UL. His passing percent wasn't great at all and we still almost lost that game.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Either way, when it's 3rd and 8 and everyone knows it's going to be a pass, we need to be able to consistently complete that pass.

Or we can fool everyone with a wrap around draw up the middle! :drippingsarcasm7pa:

So who do you want starting for you? A redshirt Sophomore, who has been with the program for 3 years now. 

OR

what amounts to a true Freshman who has been with the program for less than 6 months. 

Looking down from 30,000 feet, give me the redshirt Sophomore.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

So who do you want starting for you? A redshirt Sophomore, who has been with the program for 3 years now. 

OR

what amounts to a true Freshman who has been with the program for less than 6 months. 

By that logic, you could also say:

1) True Senior, been with the program for 4 years

2) RS Sophomore, been with the program for 3 years

3) True Junior, been with the program for 8 months.

So I take it from 30,000 feet you want the senior?

25 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Exactly....which is why i previously brought up if Gus would be willing to pull SW say if we got down by 14-17 points by halftime to Clemson. Lamar gave UL a big spark and provided a lot of problems for our defense and he was a true freshman. He was clearly very raw with passing but it was hard for teams to account for his running ability and ability to extend plays for UL. His passing percent wasn't great at all and we still almost lost that game.

His percentage wasn't stellar, but he did rack up 100 yards in the air in one half.  Those are pretty good numbers for someone who only threw 20 passes and only completed 9.

39 minutes ago, YesWeCam said:

Well I would hope if FSU or us is going to take a QB then he can make 10 completions per game given 18 attempts....maybe I'm wrong. I just think that's a very low bar to set and I would think JF3 (and hopefully any SEC QB) can do that.

Just remember that if you expect John to match Nick, he has to match 2014 Nick, not 2013 Nick, because he's not going to have Prosch and Robinson.

13 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

By that logic, you could also say:

1) True Senior, been with the program for 4 years

2) RS Sophomore, been with the program for 3 years

3) True Junior, been with the program for 8 months.

So I take it from 30,000 feet you want the senior?

How you can make that connection is beyond me. Nowhere do I mention a senior. 

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

His percentage wasn't stellar, but he did rack up 100 yards in the air in one half.  Those are pretty good numbers for someone who only threw 20 passes and only completed 9.

Just remember that if you expect John to match Nick, he has to match 2014 Nick, not 2013 Nick, because he's not going to have Prosch and Robinson.

True we definitely don't have a GR.  With the combo of KP and CO I would say our fb position should be as good as 2013. KP has a toughness about him like Prosch did and is a very physical player and good blocker. We should be better at the OG position though. We have two potential All SEC guards.

27 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

How you can make that connection is beyond me. Nowhere do I mention a senior. 

Pretty straightforward. You cited experience/years in the program as reasons that Sean is a better choice than John. Engineer pointed out that, according to those metrics, Jeremy is superior to Sean. 

47 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It isn't...which is why i feel JF3 could do the same if needed. 

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

True we definitely don't have a GR.  With the combo of KP and CO I would say our fb position should be as good as 2013. KP has a toughness about him like Prosch did and is a very physical player and good blocker. We should be better at the OG position though. We have two potential All SEC guards.

Prosch was a first team All-American as a sophomore at Illinois. He was a 250 lb senior in 2013. He was on Bruce Feldman's "Freaks" list. Saying that Pettway and/or Cox "should" be that good seems, again, awfully optimistic to me. They might be more dynamic touching the ball- so much so, in fact, isn't Pettway going to be playing at a lot at RB?- but being the OG lined up in the backfield that Prosch was, paving the way for Marshall or in this case Franklin... man, that's a tough act to follow. 

By the way, I am a big fan of both guys. They're going to be difference makers starting this year. I just think that 2016 sophomores Pettway and Cox don't very closely resemble 2013 senior Jay Prosch. 

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

OR

You start whoever gives you the best opportunity to win. End of discussion. With that being said, If the game was tomorrow, I would think SW would be starting. Now whether he finishes the game that way is another talking point.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Prosch was a first team All-American as a sophomore at Illinois. He was a 250 lb senior in 2013. He was on Bruce Feldman's "Freaks" list. Saying that Pettway and/or Cox "should" be that good seems, again, awfully optimistic to me. They might be more dynamic touching the ball- so much so, in fact, isn't Pettway going to be playing at a lot at RB?- but being the OG lined up in the backfield that Prosch was, paving the way for Marshall or in this case Franklin... man, that's a tough act to follow. 

By the way, I am a big fan of both guys. They're going to be difference makers starting this year. I just think that 2016 sophomores Pettway and Cox don't very closely resemble 2013 senior Jay Prosch. 

I know how good Prosch was trust me. But KP and CC are both capable of being very good blockers. Yes KP could play some rb this year also. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Pretty straightforward. You cited experience/years in the program as reasons that Sean is a better choice than John. Engineer pointed out that, according to those metrics, Jeremy is superior to Sean. 

My fault.

I guess.

Nowhere in any discussion of the pros and cons of the starting qb has Johnson's name been put forward.  I wrongly assumed Johnson need not be mentioned since he was benched for the RS Sophomore last season. 

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

You start whoever gives you the best opportunity to win. End of discussion. With that being said, If the game was tomorrow, I would think SW would be starting. Now whether he finishes the game that way is another talking point.

My point is the qb most likely to give you the best opportunity to win is going to be the 3 year guy with game experience as opposed to someone like Franklin who has hardly broke a sweat in a game since 2013.

Imagine when CC and KP are seniors (assuming they stay). If NCM, KD, ES and DS are developed well by that point, look out in 2018.

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

My point is the qb most likely to give you the best opportunity to win is going to be the 3 year guy with game experience as opposed to someone like Franklin who has hardly broke a sweat in a game since 2013.

That's your philosophy. I don't agree with it.

8 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

IMO any offense (not just Malzahn's) is more dynamic with a DT QB as opposed to a true pocket passer. It adds another dimension to a QB that a defense has to worry about. The problem with DT QBs is that their passing is generally not on the same level as the equivalent pocket passer. There are exceptions to that rule (in recent years, Cam Newton and Jameis Winston are notable DT QBs who are good passers in their own right), and those exceptions typically are VERY highly sought after. 

FSU runs a more pro-style offense that is focused on moving the ball down the field using a balanced attack. Their offense was more dynamic with a DT QB. (Example: Jameis Winston)

TCU/Texas Tech run more air-raid style spread offenses that is focused on moving the ball down the field through the air. Their offense is more dynamic with a DT QB. (Example: Patrick Mahomes)

Kansas State runs a power-run based offense from the shotgun. Their offense was more dynamic with a DT QB. (Example: Jake Waters)

There are countless other examples, but in College Football nowadays, offenses with QBs who also pose a running threat force the defense to account for another factor, which gives an advantage to the offense. 

Good stuff here

I'm just saying none of you know how good this guy can pass. And to be honest none of you saw sw make any incredible accurate throws either. We're arguing unknown variables. There is no way if the gap was as big as some of you are making there wouldn't even be a qb battle

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That's your philosophy. I don't agree with it.

If his philosophy was the case then he thinks jj has the best chance....

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Lamar wasn't just a better runner than the QB he replaced, he was actually a better QB overall.  

Jovon being kicked off could make the qb decision easier. We no longer have a stud rb that can run inside. Kerryon is a stud but I don't believe he is a JR or Tre Mason type that can take the beating. This definitely pushes KP to have to take some carries at RB. Not gonna lie this was a big loss. I had no clue this was coming I knew he had been in an altercation but something else must have happened. I haven't seen much of Malik Miller and what he can do besides a couple practices and high school.

Archived