JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

Lol. At least I know it's not personal. 23 you should've learned from my past....now just stick to critiquing the other qb's or you might get hurt! 

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I don't mean to be an ass but if this were the case why did Gus offer and get commits from JJ, Sean White & Tyler Queen? That is 3 wasted scholly's at QB and 3 wasted years (2013, 2014 & 2015) on QB recruiting. Again more red red flags. 

Tyler queen is a runner. Or at least was, I don't know the case now

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

For discussion's sake, in 2013 even announcers were saying, Gary Danielson was the first to call it out I believe, that opposing coaches were not thinking it was a true read. Gus was telling NM whether to give to Tre or keep it before the ball was snapped. It probably wasn't like this 100% of the time, but it was enough for those watching film on AU to feel this way because at times, if you are making a true read, it is obvious when you are supposed to give or keep it. There were plenty of times where if NM kept the ball he would've had a huge gain. It was clearer in 2014 when the incorrect "read" was made/called because in '13, the entire left side of the line would be on their backs because of Kozan, Prosch, and G-Rob. 

Gus either didn't trust NM to make the proper read or he was micromanaging a play pre-snap on plays that require post-snap decisions.

I'm one of those that don't believe that Marshall was the zone-read wizard many make him out to be. I think he has great instincts once he's on the move, and made a lot out of a little on numerous occasions, but I think, like you said, Robinson, Prosch, and Kozan made him look like a world beater in 2013.  If he was so good, his production wouldn't have dropped so much in 2014... in fact, he should have improved with a year under his belt.

That being said, the fake zone-read is still effective, because you are still, statistically, going to guess right as often as you are going to guess wrong. Get an Offensive Coordinator who can recognize defensive tendencies and that percentage jumps dramatically in your favor.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm one of those that don't believe that Marshall was the zone-read wizard many make him out to be. I think he has great instincts once he's on the move, and made a lot out of a little on numerous occasions, but I think, like you said, Robinson, Prosch, and Kozan made him look like a world beater in 2013.  If he was so good, his production wouldn't have dropped so much in 2014... in fact, he should have improved with a year under his belt.

That being said, the fake zone-read is still effective, because you are still, statistically, going to guess right as often as you are going to guess wrong. Get an Offensive Coordinator who can recognize defensive tendencies and that percentage jumps dramatically in your favor.

Yup, I don't think anyone is saying -- or at least any rational people -- that it was such a bad thing that NM wasn't truly reading the defense as evidenced by our incredible offensive success between 2013 and 2014. It just burns a little when you see the OLB or DE crash hard and selling out to stop the give to the RB and the QB not make the correct "read" because it's the difference between a 2 yard gain and what could possibly be a big play considering what kind of open field nightmare NM was for defenses. His football version of a basketball crossover was incredible.

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I play NCAA14 on Xbox and the zone read is deadly and easy to run clearly NM was reading the DE.

<Font/yellow>

ALL STREAKS ALL DAY BRO

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Clemson is NOT the game you want to start an inexperienced QB with shaky passing skills and who's only been exposed to the playbook for a few months.  You go with a guy that has been in the system, has SEC game time experience and knows how electric JHS will be at night.  You go with a guy that's not a liability and one who you know can move the ball down the field - a guy that can manage the offense and has experience with sideline communication, etc.  Sean White starts vs Clemson with a mix of Jeremy Johnson in certain series.  They can let JF3 get his feet wet vs ArkyState in week 2.

No, you play whoever is in the best position to get you a victory and ask questions later. UL got smart and did this with Lamar Jackson in the 2nd half against us, last year.

I am sure it has been said in this forum many times, but I have to put my 2 cents worth in. I have not seen this documentary myself, but from what a lot of people are saying JF3 did not look good in it! I think it's a little unfair to make judgements about his ability from a doc. that is trying to get ratings and stir up controversy etc... He was also playing in a system that was totally different than the Gus system, and it did not show his strengths in running the ball and the zone read option he will use in AU's offense. I am excited about the prospect of him starting! Having said that I trust Gus to start the qb which gives us the best chance of winning games. I will withhold judgement until a couple weeks into fall practice concerning JF3's ability to start and play well in the SEC!!!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I am sure it has been said in this forum many times, but I have to put my 2 cents worth in. I have not seen this documentary myself, but from what a lot of people are saying JF3 did not look good in it! I think it's a little unfair to make judgements about his ability from a doc. that is trying to get ratings and stir up controversy etc... He was also playing in a system that was totally different than the Gus system, and it did not show his strengths in running the ball and the zone read option he will use in AU's offense. I am excited about the prospect of him starting! Having said that I trust Gus to start the qb which gives us the best chance of winning games. I will withhold judgement until a couple weeks into fall practice concerning JF3's ability to start and play well in the SEC!!!

From the review I read on the documentary, John was featured, but not on the field. The review said that the coach ran a pass first offense and didn't use John pretty much for that reason.

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

From the review I read on the documentary, John was featured, but not on the field. The review said that the coach ran a pass first offense and didn't use John pretty much for that reason.

Or maybe because his coach did not have confidence in his passing whereas the other kid was pretty sharp.   It is curious that a 3* players who was not a starter in Juco and does not appear to have been recruited by any major school....yet has drawn so much praise over nothing.   Usually when AU recruits a 3* this board is covered with derisive comments.

After watching the program, I'm not giving him + or - for what I saw.   Looks like we have a lot to learn about him on the football field.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

1. Jeremy Johnson will not take every single QB snap of the first 3 games. EDIT: And every single QB1 rep of the preseason.
2. Sean might not get hurt.
3. Xavier Dampeer will be starting at center.
4. Braden Smith has another year under his belt.
5. Austin Golson won't be learning a new position on the fly with a rotating cast of untalented or inexperienced QBs behind him.
6. Neither Kerryon Johnson, Chandler Cox, Kamryn Pettway nor Jalen Harris will be freshmen.
7. Duke Williams is gone.
8. Nate Craig-Myers, Kyle Davis, Marquis McClain, Eli Stove and Landon Rice have joined the team.
9. Ryan Davis and Stanton Truitt might not get hurt.
10. Darius Slayton should be ready to contribute.
11. Marcus Davis and Jason Smith have another year under their belts. (I'm hearing this doesn't really matter that much with Tony Stevens.)
12. Our best RB might actually start the season and stay on the field.
13. Peyton Barber, who won one game for us and then didn't get drafted, and Roc Thomas are gone. 
14. Malik Miller and Kam Martin have joined the team.
15. Gus said he'll be more "hands on" this season, whatever that means.
16. Herb Hand
17. Kodi Burns, for better or for worse.

I could probably go on. Not trying to be a jerk, but this offense will look much different than last year's. 

This guy is such a know-it-all...

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Having said that I trust Gus to start the qb which gives us the best chance of winning games. 

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Or maybe because his coach did not have confidence in his passing whereas the other kid was pretty sharp.   It is curious that a 3* players who was not a starter in Juco and does not appear to have been recruited by any major school....yet has drawn so much praise over nothing.   Usually when AU recruits a 3* this board is covered with derisive comments.

After watching the program, I'm not giving him + or - for what I saw.   Looks like we have a lot to learn about him on the football field.

This is one of those facts that makes me feel like once the season starts the main feeling on this board will be "well, all those signs were there why exactly did we buy any of the hype?"

Only thing I'm holding out hope for is that Nick Marshall did not have a good TD/INT ratio in juco and am hoping for our staff to be able to pull some QB goodness out of JF3 like they did NM.

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm just quoting what I read in a review... since I don't have Netflix. Of course your same question can be posed about the people who deride John, as they don't know anything about him on the field, either.  Obviously Lashlee saw something in him when he blew away a cupcake for over 200 yards and 6 touchdowns in 1 half. Hopefully Lashlee is a better judge of talent than to be blown away just by gaudy numbers from one game, and saw something in John's ability to make him worth the offer. he kid sure is working hard to make the best of his chance, whether he makes it or not.

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This is one of those facts that makes me feel like once the season starts the main feeling on this board will be "well, all those signs were there why exactly did we buy any of the hype?"

Only thing I'm holding out hope for is that Nick Marshall did not have a good TD/INT ratio in juco and am hoping for our staff to be able to pull some QB goodness out of JF3 like they did NM.

Well, to me if it is just hype and people wanting it to be true, it is because of what we saw last year on the field. We saw below average QB play and the resulting record to go with that. Our QB's ranked 8th (JJ) and 11th (SW) in the league based on QB rating. Yardage wise neither cracked the top 13.  To some including me there just not much last year to believe it will be better this year. Will JF3 be better on passing and pass rating than that? Probably not, but I think the hope is that the running game becomes much more dynamic that it was last year.

6 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Well, to me if it is just hype and people wanting it to be true, it is because of what we saw last year on the field. We saw below average QB play and the resulting record to go with that. Our QB's ranked 8th (JJ) and 11th (SW) in the league based on QB rating. Yardage wise neither cracked the top 13.  To some including me there just not much last year to believe it will be better this year. Will JF3 be better on passing and pass rating than that? Probably not, but I think the hope is that the running game becomes much more dynamic that it was last year.

Yes, it kills me that people refuse to acknowledge the less than stellar performances from our two 4 star QBs, one the proclaimed Heisman future winner and the other, the winner of elite 11 QB competition. Seems to me, we wouldn't be in this predicament, if there was some reason concrete evidence to look to the stars. I digress though.

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes, it kills me that people refuse to acknowledge the less than stellar performances from our two 4 star QBs, one the proclaimed Heisman future winner and the other, the winner of elite 11 QB competition. Seems to me, we wouldn't be in this predicament, if there was some reason concrete evidence to look to the stars. I digress though.

I am not much of a proponent of reading the " stars "… Prefer to wait and see what happens after they arrive at Auburn before pronouncing them as our starter or whatever.  Just noting that FK3 has gotten a lot of hype out of a modest college career.

What do you mean JFIII hasn't done anything? He clearly outran some guys on the worst team in their own league in one half of one game last year....He is the second coming of Nick Marshall out there. I mean, he couldn't start over a kid that couldn't get a walk on invite to MSU, but hey....he's fast.   ;)

Seriously people... why do we feel the need to bash our players? 

John is above average fast and is working his butt off to be the best QB he can be.  Sean is above average accurate, when he's not hurt, and has the potential to be very dangerous with a solid receiver corps to throw to.  Let's leave it at that and let the best man win the start.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Seriously people... why do we feel the need to bash our players? 

John is above average fast and is working his butt off to be the best QB he can be.  Sean is above average accurate, when he's not hurt, and has the potential to be very dangerous with a solid receiver corps to throw to.  Let's leave it at that and let the best man win the start.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I'm not saying he's as good, but it's important to remember that across the four main rating systems, JF3 averaged the same star rating as Marshall. That said, the current QB situation is inexcusable, and Gus has a reputation to earn back. How many years should he be given to do that, who knows.

A shadow passed over my heart when I read above the nightmare scenario of opposing defenses loading up the box because they do not fear Franklin's passing. Then watching an endless loop of 1st down dive plays for 2 yard gains.

I have a more comforting thought of White hitting the occasional pass to keep the defense honest while our stud tailback and the new improved oline take over the LOS.

19 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

What do you mean JFIII hasn't done anything? He clearly outran some guys on the worst team in their own league in one half of one game last year....He is the second coming of Nick Marshall out there. I mean, he couldn't start over a kid that couldn't get a walk on invite to MSU, but hey....he's fast.   ;)

Somebody else says this but do it to sw you're angry at them calling them jf3 brother or something though

Archived