JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

Cam Newton, Deshaun Watson and Jameis Winston didn't just make their respective teams better....they would make any offense better. You can take that type of QB out of this discussion regarding just Malzahn's offense. Those guys are game changers that have all the tools in the toolbox. Very much different than just a run first QB that throws it deep every now and then. Those guys could lean on any part of the game at any time.  They were (and are) just that special. 

Someone brought up Tulsa numbers under Gus. He still tried to balance it out or even run a bit more with that high octane offense. 

In 2007, they passed it 564 times and ran it 562 times. In 2008, they passed 423 times and ran it 674 times. It's not like he was trying to be pass-happy even then. He just had some guys that could sling it a bit and used it to their advantage when he could, but his emphasis was still on the running game.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cole256 said:

If his philosophy was the case then he thinks jj has the best chance....

Yeah I don't think he gets that one bit. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don't think he gets that one bit. 

Not at all. But what's funny is how combative he is about it when four people has tried to explain

4 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

Lamar wasn't just a better runner than the QB he replaced, he was actually a better QB overall.  

His passing was sub par at best. Bolin led them in the Clemson game...a game they only lost by 3 points. It was more the personnel matchup but as the season went on Lamar's passing did improve but i did watch some of there games after they played us and his passing was not good at all. He was downright erratic a lot of the time which is why he and Bolin often split time but due to his ability to run and throw on the run it presented teams with big problems. When he improves his passing..he's going to be very dangerous.

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

His passing was sub par at best. Bolin led them in the Clemson game...a game they only lost by 3 points. It was more the personnel matchup but as the season went on Lamar's passing did improve but i did watch some of there games after they played us and his passing was not good at all. He was downright erratic a lot of the time which is why he and Bolin often split time but due to his ability to run and throw on the run it presented teams with big problems. When he improves his passing..he's going to be very dangerous.

This is accurate. He was nowhere near the better passer during game 1. Did anyone see his initial throw? It was like Jason Smith. Still, Petrino realized his "passing QB" were not getting it done and said, "kid, make something happen." He led a spark. Rome wasn't built in a day. He still had work to do with mechanics and accuracy, but everyone saw the potential and game-changing athleticism that he possessed. By the end of the year, he was essentially the starter. I wish people would stop making things up to fit their narrative. Now, this doesn't mean Louisville other QBs were great because they were not, but they were more polished passers and upperclassmen.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

This is accurate. He was nowhere near the better passer during game 1. Did anyone see his initial throw? It was like Jason Smith. Still, Petrino realized his "passing QB" were not getting it done and said, "kid, make something happen." He led a spark. Rome wasn't built in a day. He still had work to do with mechanics and accuracy, but everyone saw the potential and game-changing athleticism that he possessed. By the end of the year, he was essentially the starter. I wish people would stop making things up to fit their narrative. Now, this doesn't mean Louisville other QBs were great because they were not, but they were more polished passers and upperclassmen.

Lamar wasn't a better passer...but an overall better QB, with a higher upside. He actually a few really good throws in that game if you go back and look. Some bad ones too, but he was thrown into the fire a bit as a true Freshman in a big game. Raw, but really talented.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Agree. Not saying JF3 is Lamar but it's possible there could be a similar outcome if we choose to go with JF3. 

I finally got the chance to watch this.  I thought the production was very well done.  It showed all phases of JUCO football, good and bad.  It is a different world.  I have a new respect for kids that go through the JUCO system to get what they want, a D1 opportunity. 

I think the MVP at EMCC (and probably any other JUCO) is the Academic Advisor.  My goodness, what a tough job that girl has.  She definitely is underpaid.  That coach better be giving her a large percentage of his bonus money.  Is Netflix going to do a Season 2?

watched the first two episodes.  well done show.  some of the kids came across as a bit cocky and entitled and indifferent, but not all that different than I was at 19-20.  and I had no athletic skills to be cocky about.  what really stuck out is that some of those kids have no business in college -- even junior or community college.  we should bring back trade schools at the high school level.

47 minutes ago, Butthead said:

watched the first two episodes.  well done show.  some of the kids came across as a bit cocky and entitled and indifferent, but not all that different than I was at 19-20.  and I had no athletic skills to be cocky about.  what really stuck out is that some of those kids have no business in college -- even junior or community college.  we should bring back trade schools at the high school level.

Good point...or even at the CC level. 

There used to be many excellent trade schools when the US was more into manufacturing but demand for graduates dropped I guess and the educators and politicians were looking for ways to take the pressure off the state universities and converted the trade schools into community colleges leaving nothing in their wake for kids who might not be college material ....but still need a way to earn a living.  

Not a football discussion of course, but the change in emphasis means that guys are attending those CCs who are not even Juco academic material....but they can play football so that's something I guess....but what do they do after their eligibility is up?    

Lord.  I watched the final episode last night.  What a Charlie Foxtrot.  That coach should have been fired after the last game -- dude is a hypocrite of the highest order.  It was bad enough that he cursed the refs and opposing coaches at every opportunity, but calling two time outs at the end of the first half when up 48-0 only escalated a ticking bomb.

Also amazing to me (and I am not recruiting expert) that J5 played little, torched a terrible team while Lashlee was there, and gets an offer the following week.

Anyone know where that D-tackle ended up (#90)?  You get that kid into a real strength program, he might be something.  Kid makes plays.

I just started watching it this past week. 2 episode in. I don't see how bad the coach is yet. Sure he has a foul mouth but pretty sure 95% of college football coaches do. JF3 seems like a cocky kid -- in a good way. Only way that can turn bad is if that cockiness turns sour when things don't go his way and it affects team chemistry. Of course, this is only 2 episodes in but it is kind of an awesome look into how juco programs are and how they are run. But boy...that Ronald Ollie kid is something else. Almost seems like he doesn't want to leave juco.

I watched all the episodes.  With the way JF3 talks to and around the coaches on the sideline and in the locker room I can only imagine Jovon Robinson.

7 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I watched all the episodes.  With the way JF3 talks to and around the coaches on the sideline and in the locker room I can only imagine Jovon Robinson.

Well if that's the case, it's only his mouth at this point though we do know that an uncontrolled mouth can get you shot, put in jail or kicked off a football team....so hopefully JF3 will keep it toned down to what Gus finds acceptable.  

Coaches have to put up with the general mouthing off but they usually have limits of what can be considered disrespectful and insubordinate.   Most high strung guys know where the line it.   JF3 had a lot of room for "mouth' at EMCC.....probably less at AU? 

45 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Lord.  I watched the final episode last night.  What a Charlie Foxtrot.  That coach should have been fired after the last game -- dude is a hypocrite of the highest order.  It was bad enough that he cursed the refs and opposing coaches at every opportunity, but calling two time outs at the end of the first half when up 48-0 only escalated a ticking bomb.

Also amazing to me (and I am not recruiting expert) that J5 played little, torched a terrible team while Lashlee was there, and gets an offer the following week.

Anyone know where that D-tackle ended up (#90)?  You get that kid into a real strength program, he might be something.  Kid makes plays.

At the end of the last episode,  they did a followup statement on several key people from the show. Ollie went to Nicholls state in LA.

IDK, with reports of players getting into it with coaches in 3 separate instances over the past 3 seasons with suspensions and/or getting kicked off as punishment it doesn't seem like the message is getting across if they are trying to limit insubordination.

Devil's advocate here: what if they have more room for "mouth", as 64 put it, and the select few bad apples keep pushing until it just reaches a breaking point

Can you tell I'm bored and ready for the season to start?

One thing that caught my attention was when the D lineman was talking with the Southeastern coach, he was hinting at wanting special incentives to go there. Kudos to the coach for saying they will not break the NCAA rules while the camera was rolling.  Either way the idea that the player brought it up is disturbing. They know it is out there.  It truly comes from both sides as far as wanting illegal benefits.  The overall perception portrayed in the media is that the schools are the triggers for those conversations. Just found it as a reminder that both sides are responsible. 

18 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

For those curious, Wyatt Roberts is now on the Miss St roster

Happy for him. Seems like a good kid. Hopefully he can eventually earn a scholarship. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:01 AM, AUBwins said:

One thing that caught my attention was when the D lineman was talking with the Southeastern coach, he was hinting at wanting special incentives to go there. Kudos to the coach for saying they will not break the NCAA rules while the camera was rolling.  Either way the idea that the player brought it up is disturbing. They know it is out there.  It truly comes from both sides as far as wanting illegal benefits.  The overall perception portrayed in the media is that the schools are the triggers for those conversations. Just found it as a reminder that both sides are responsible. 

That one floored me.  This kid was so clueless as to bring up that subject in front of the camera.  SMH.  (The coach had no other option BUT to say "Why NO, we don't do the money thing. We don't break rules."  We know it's out there and happening, but it's amazing that the kid brought it up at that time.  Talk about not using your brain.  He knew enough to not explicitly ask, but lacked enough common sense to NOT say ANYTHING in that regard while the cameras were rolling.  I'm assuming that coach would say the same thing whether the cameras were rolling  or not - at least I hope so, but we know this stuff goes on.)

4 minutes ago, Woodstock Tiger said:

That one floored me.  This kid was so clueless as to bring up that subject in front of the camera.  SMH.  (The coach had no other option BUT to say "Why NO, we don't do the money thing. We don't break rules."  We know it's out there and happening, but it's amazing that the kid brought it up at that time.  Talk about not using your brain.  He knew enough to not explicitly ask, but lacked enough common sense to NOT say ANYTHING in that regard while the cameras were rolling.  I'm assuming that coach would say the same thing whether the cameras were rolling  or not - at least I hope so, but we know this stuff goes on.)

Yeah if I was that coach I would have got up and walked out.  I think you're already giving the kid plenty recruiting him from JUCO.  Giving him the opportunity to get an education at a 4 year school and play for a program with more recognition.  It's not like that kid was sitting on 50 D1 offers.

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Happy for him. Seems like a good kid. Hopefully he can eventually earn a scholarship. 

He'll be the scout team QB State is a little short handed at QB. He had planned on playing intramurals. Hope the best for him.

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

He'll be the scout team QB State is a little short handed at QB. He had planned on playing intramurals. Hope the best for him.

Yeah i did see that. Just hoping down the line he'll be one of the walk on guys to get a scholarship by his JR or SR year if he stays on with the team.

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

Yeah i did see that. Just hoping down the line he'll be one of the walk on guys to get a scholarship by his JR or SR year if he stays on with the team.

Agreed wish the best for him. 

Archived