JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

12 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

JF3 is a dynamic runner, better than NM imo. NM was a magician with the read though.  Coaches have been working JF3 hard for him to learn to master the ball fake and knowing when to run and when to hand the ball off.

There is no question in my mind that in straight line speed, JF3 is faster than NM. Also, I do believe Gus will create his offensive philosophy around JF3 skill set. I just hope to goodness he does the same for SW, who is not a QB read player. To be fair, JF3 had a big learning curve and both offenses of his previous school did not suit his style of play.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished the series last night, here are some of my takeaways:

1. After watching the show, go back and watch JF3's highlights. The show portrays him as a non-factor in some games that he throws TDs in. (Remember that EMCC wore white tops and black pants in John's 6 TD game) Now, that's not to say that he is a great passer or made EMCC's offense what it was, but he did play more and was more of a factor than the show implied.

2. Never judge a book by its cover. I really felt bad for Ollie. Did he do everything he could've done to qualify? No, he definitely made it hard on himself. But he's a hell of a football player, and from what the show said, it sounded like he wanted an Auburn offer. 

3. These guys, no matter their backgrounds, seem like really good kids. When you talk about how cocky they are, how condescending of the coaches they are, also remember that the series is called Last Chance U for a reason. What do you think would happen to DJ Law if he doesn't graduate and go play at UAB like he plans to? I would bet it's nothing good. These guys are literally fighting for their future, which makes tensions a liiiiiiitle high. Cut them some slack.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

There is no question in my mind that in straight line speed, JF3 is faster than NM. Also, I do believe Gus will create his offensive philosophy around JF3 skill set. I just hope to goodness he does the same for SW, who is not a QB read player. To be fair, JF3 had a big learning curve and both offenses of his previous school did not suit his style of play.

Oh JF3 is definitely faster than NM. I also think he is a better runner being vision etc. 

The academic counselor stood out to me. Her dedication and genuine personal interest in those kids getting opportunities fir a better life is what stiid out to me.  And here she is a single mother in the middle of nowhere Mississippi.  I would like to see her move on to a place like AU and give herself and her daughter a better life.

As for the players, I kept thinking of Duke W and hiw he blew his opportunity at AU. These kids' background and family structure is generally lacking and they make self destructive decisions.

Maybe the Auburn Culture is better then EMCC is.  Therefore maybe there will be more growth as far as maturity goes.  

However that being said, If JFIII is the QB this year I expect us to look very similar to WV Pat White teams.  Dynamic and explosive.  I think our with our young, raw wide receivers that might not be a terrible thing to be a running team.  If last years WR class were all redshirt sophmores or Juniors I'd expect White to clearly be the QB but Marcus Davis and Tony Stevens haven't stepped up to be go to guys except in very rare circumstances.  That's no slam on either, Marcus from all accounts is a great teammate and respresentative of AU.  

So for me it's 50/50 on the Qb battle for those 2.  I clearly thought White looked the best as a QB in the A-day game but White is solid and not as dynamic.  

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

So for me it's 50/50 on the Qb battle for those 2.  I clearly thought White looked the best as a QB in the A-day game but White is solid and not as 

White may have looked better in the Aday game, but you have to realize the qbs were wearing red.  That means JF3 couldn't use his skills. Of the qbs would have been live during Aday JF3 would have outperformed SW imo. Also I agree with u on Marcus Davis and Tony Steven's.  I don't think either of these guys is just going to break out and turn into a stud as a senior. We will definitely be run heavy with JF3. Imo we can win 9 games running 75-80% of the time because of the talent we have. If JF3 hits his stride like I expect throwing the football we can win the SEC.

23, never heard you so high on a player before but you definitely see more and around more with the players.  How are the players taking to JFIII?  Is he their buddy or is he their leader?

All of you need to slow down and take my lead. Haven't you noticed the more kind and more gentle Cole? Trust me it's the way to be

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

23, never heard you so high on a player before but you definitely see more and around more with the players.  How are the players taking to JFIII?  Is he their buddy or is he their leader?

I am just really stoked at what our offense will be able to do this year if JF3 plays like I expect him too. I know we lost two NFL OT, but our Oline is going to be stout. We probably have the two best fb in the SEC with KP and Cox. Then our wrs should be strong as a unit. I don't expect any one player to just break out and get over 1,000 yards but I expect solid contributions from all of them. If I were comparing our offense this year to 2013, I would give 2013 the advantage with NM at qb. I am gonna say rbs would be a draw with Mason and JR. Mason obviously set records, but I am really high on JR. The reason I say I would call it a draw is I think the 2016 rbs are better as a unit than the 2013. I would give 2016 the advantage at the fb and wr position. The OL obviously 2013 had Greg Robinson so they get advantage at OT and C with Dismukes. I would easily take the 2016 OG though considering we still have one from 2013 in Kozan then BS is a monster. That leaves te,  I always considered CJ as a big wr so I would give 2013 te the advantage catching the football. However I will give 2016 TR the advantage overall. I think Rice will be a stud and I think both will be better blockers than CJ was. The reason I am comparing to 2013 is I think this 2016 offense will be very similar.

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

The academic counselor stood out to me. Her dedication and genuine personal interest in those kids getting opportunities fir a better life is what stiid out to me.  And here she is a single mother in the middle of nowhere Mississippi.  I would like to see her move on to a place like AU and give herself and her daughter a better life.

As for the players, I kept thinking of Duke W and hiw he blew his opportunity at AU. These kids' background and family structure is generally lacking and they make self destructive decisions.

AMEN.....a sad commentary on our society....having to cajole these guys to even take a pencil and notebook to class.   

She definitely has the missionary spirit but frankly is wasting her time on guys like Ollie and others who were not identified but obviously had no interest in gaining even a basic JUCO education which was probably about as difficult as the typical HS.

I was not happy with the HC.....the cursing and brow-beating was a put-off.... but after thinking more about it, that's probably all his players might respond to considering their past.    " Back in the day" the coaches would have been physically busting those guy's chops....but now the coaches can just scream at what were mostly unresponsive players who pretty much ignored him.

Just finished the series. What'd the coach expect his players to do when their teammates are getting stomped out on the field? He bows up whenever someone crosses him but he expects these guys to just take a beating and look the other way? Whoever said he's the biggest hypocrite they've seen wasn't lying. Someone needs to find a spot for Ms. Wagner at their school/company asap. That's a quality woman right there.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Maybe the Auburn Culture is better then EMCC is.  

Watching how things are at EMCC was revolting and depressing   If the Auburn culture is not better than EMCC, we have a serious problem and need new leadership from top to bottom.

Unless JF3 proves he can complete the simplest of passes, we won't score many points.  There will probably be 5 or 6 games that come down to a critical 3rd and 10 in the fourth quarter...our guy has to be clutch in those situations.

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

White may have looked better in the Aday game, but you have to realize the qbs were wearing red.  That means JF3 couldn't use his skills. Of the qbs would have been live during Aday JF3 would have outperformed SW imo. Also I agree with u on Marcus Davis and Tony Steven's.  I don't think either of these guys is just going to break out and turn into a stud as a senior. We will definitely be run heavy with JF3. Imo we can win 9 games running 75-80% of the time because of the talent we have. If JF3 hits his stride like I expect throwing the football we can win the SEC.

We will not win championships (or be in contention) if we cannot throw the ball.  If we're running it 75-80% of the time, we won't be very good.  We cannot survive with a one-deminsional offense.  We did it in '13 because we could.  Nick Marshall was good enough to complete some big-time passes when he needed to (but most times he didn't have to).

People love to crap on Nick Marshall, but he was so good that opponents HAD to respect his passing ability.  He was underrated and under valued as a passer, but Nick was damn good. (check some of the throws he made in '13)  Hell, he threw for 500 hundy against alabama in '14...  that says it all.

The truth is Franklin isn't even in Nick Marshall's league right now.  I'm sorry, I'll just go ahead and say it, the kid can't throw.  Coaches and players are 'hoping' he comes along, but it's not happening as fast as they'd planned...

The fact remains, if Franklin starts against Clemson, Gus has undoubtedly hit the panic button, and will show desperation...  The vultures will start circling.  Fingers will definitely be pointed at Gus for having to once again rely on a JUCO project at QB.  People will scream that he can't evaluate, then develop his talent in the SEC.

Clemson will eat our lunch if we can't throw the ball...  just my opinion.

1 hour ago, chimesAU said:

Someone needs to find a spot for Ms. Wagner at their school/company asap. That's a quality woman right there.

She is a keeper. Maybe there aren't a whole lot of choices of suitors in Scuba. She definitely cares for those kids like she does her daughter. It's great to have someone like that to be a mother figure to some of these kids from a challenging upbringing that are trying to pursue their dreams. The show was good.  I wish the other QB would have pursued football at his next stop.  He was gritty and seemed very coachable.

12 minutes ago, Altima said:

We will not win championships (or be in contention) if we cannot throw the ball.  If we're running it 75-80% of the time, we won't be very good.  We cannot survive with a one-deminsional offense.  We did it in '13 because we could.  Nick Marshall was good enough to complete some big-time passes when he needed to (but most times he didn't have to).

People love to crap on Nick Marshall, but he was so good that opponents HAD to respect his passing ability.  He was underrated and under valued as a passer, but Nick was damn good. (check some of the throws he made in '13)  Hell, he threw for 500 hundy against alabama in '14...  that says it all.

The truth is Franklin isn't even in Nick Marshall's league right now.  I'm sorry, I'll just go ahead and say it, the kid can't throw.  Coaches and players are 'hoping' he comes along, but it's not happening as fast as they'd planned...

The fact remains, if Franklin starts against Clemson, Gus has undoubtedly hit the panic button, and will show desperation...  The vultures will start circling.  Fingers will definitely be pointed at Gus for having to once again rely on a JUCO project at QB.  People will scream that he can't evaluate, then develop his talent in the SEC.

It is very easy to defense a team that runs 75-80% of the time. Especially with the speed, size, and athleticism the teams we play have. 8 and 9 man boxes would be the norm. 

22 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It is very easy to defense a team that runs 75-80% of the time. Especially with the speed, size, and athleticism the teams we play have. 8 and 9 man boxes would be the norm. 

This is what I've been saying. I'm not saying he's got to be Bradyesque but he's got to be- at the very least- decent throwing the football. 

Wait a min....chimes! That's you?! I don't know what handle I thought I was reading but I'm just now realizing! What up my dude! Welcome back! Man I'm glad to see you! Somebody to argue with that won't go tell on me! 

Now what can I correct you about today fam??

Watched the whole thing. Still dont think JFIII was really disrespectful. Even in the last game when everyone was talkin trash ab the HC he separated himself. Maybe its just me. 

4 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I am just really stoked at what our offense will be able to do this year if JF3 plays like I expect him too. I know we lost two NFL OT, but our Oline is going to be stout. We probably have the two best fb in the SEC with KP and Cox. Then our wrs should be strong as a unit. I don't expect any one player to just break out and get over 1,000 yards but I expect solid contributions from all of them. If I were comparing our offense this year to 2013, I would give 2013 the advantage with NM at qb. I am gonna say rbs would be a draw with Mason and JR. Mason obviously set records, but I am really high on JR. The reason I say I would call it a draw is I think the 2016 rbs are better as a unit than the 2013. I would give 2016 the advantage at the fb and wr position. The OL obviously 2013 had Greg Robinson so they get advantage at OT and C with Dismukes. I would easily take the 2016 OG though considering we still have one from 2013 in Kozan then BS is a monster. That leaves te,  I always considered CJ as a big wr so I would give 2013 te the advantage catching the football. However I will give 2016 TR the advantage overall. I think Rice will be a stud and I think both will be better blockers than CJ was. The reason I am comparing to 2013 is I think this 2016 offense will be very similar.

Mmmm...I want this to be true to badly. I have to agree with Altima in that SW being an adequate starter is preferable. It should not take Mr. JUCO Superman to have decent QB play. On a side note, how did JF3 have the same recruiting ratings as NM (lower on 247, higher on Rivals)--aside from NM being one of the shiniest diamonds in the rough ever? JF3 will be great for speed sweeps, though (remember all those awesome speed sweeps Zachary and McCallebb ran in '09 and '10?)

11 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Mmmm...I want this to be true to badly. I have to agree with Altima in that SW being an adequate starter is preferable. It should not take Mr. JUCO Superman to have decent QB play. On a side note, how did JF3 have the same recruiting ratings as NM (lower on 247, higher on Rivals)--aside from NM being one of the shiniest diamonds in the rough ever? JF3 will be great for speed sweeps, though (remember all those awesome speed sweeps Zachary and McCallebb ran in '09 and '10?)

I keep hearing this O-Mac speed sweep. If anything JF3 will have the Kodi Burns role of 09, while SW has the Chris Todd role. Being a sweep guy is more than just motioning over. Both of those guys could also catch in the flats.

I finished the series this afternoon.  I just checked and my perfect wife is still alive, so academic counselor Ms. Wagner will not get a proposal from me.  I understand that there are at least 7 single men around her age.  What is wrong with them?

2 hours ago, Altima said:

We are hearing different thibgs if you are hearing JF3 isnt progressing.JF3 is progressing over the summer. Also I wasn't saying we are going to run 75-80% of the time I was saying I believe we have the talent to win 9 games doing so. Do yall actually believe we have any shot to win a title with SW at qb?  SW is a very good qb, but i am sorry he just isnt the right fit for our system unless Gus goes to a pass first attack. The risk may be a lot higher with JF3 but so is the reward. NM was definitely damn good but I think you are overstating that opponents had much respect for his passing ability. Not saying that he was a bad passer but teams were worried about the read option 1st and foremost with NM amd Mason. NM had a lot of wide open passing lanes to throw and JF3 will have the same.  NM had ice in his veins and made some of the biggest throws in Auburn history. That Alabama game is 2014 you are speaking of NM threw a ton of deep balls which JF3 actually does pretty well. NM plays DB in the NFL which shows how good of an athlete is he and also shows he was not a very polished passer. NM is one of my favorite Auburn players of all time so please don't take any of this as me trying to talk him down. Gus won't be hitting the panic button if he starts JF3. 

45 minutes ago, '76 Tiger said:

I finished the series this afternoon.  I just checked and my perfect wife is still alive, so academic counselor Ms. Wagner will not get a proposal from me.  I understand that there are at least 7 single men around her age.  What is wrong with them?

Either she is bat crap crazy behind the scenes or they do not want to deal with the little one.

Archived