JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

16 hours ago, johnnyAU said:
1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

First I will start with a disclaimer, only time I've seen JF3 play for AU was at A-Day. But I'm told by people who coach football for a living that JF3 can not pass worth the damn. And this is from some guys who have seen JF3 throw in the last couple of weeks. Couple this with the documentary and I don't know where to start with Gus. Man. Deep deep deep problems at the QB position. 

I am hearing different from people who are watching him a lot this summer. I am by no means a scout but i have watched him a couple of tines this sunmer also and he is getting better throwing the football imo. Im not saying he is lighting the world on fire throwing the football but   saying that he is improving.  I should know a lot more tomm about how much better he is looking. 

Altima, you are definitely correct about JF3 being behind SW and JJ throwing the football during the spring and at Aday. Heck I am not saying now that he is above those two throwing the football. I think he is above those two when it comes down to overall play for the best qb.  Aday shouldn't count at all because JF3 was handicapped being in the orange jersey. I seem to remember the greatest college football player in history having a pretty bad Aday with Cam going like 1 for 4 I believe and if I remember correctly his throws looked bad that day. 

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also let me say this I have no clue yet who is going to start vs Clemson. I know who the coaches are hoping takes control to be the guy because he gives us the higher ceiling. 

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

First I will start with a disclaimer, only time I've seen JF3 play for AU was at A-Day. But I'm told by people who coach football for a living that JF3 can not pass worth the damn. And this is from some guys who have seen JF3 throw in the last couple of weeks. Couple this with the documentary and I don't know where to start with Gus. Man. Deep deep deep problems at the QB position. 

I heard similar comments from a couple of folks that have watched a few of the QB/WR drills since about the 2nd week of July.  My "source" if you can call 'em that, comes from a Sean White biased opinion though.... so I'm not sure how much honesty there is in their comments about JF3?

After reading this thread, I don't think I'll watch the documentary.  I don't want to form a personal opinion about a kid that had a camera in his face 24/7.  My own son  is in the middle of two-a-days in full pads with HS football this week - I'd hate to see what a little punkass he could be if his every action was on film. YIKES!)

JF3 threw 110 passes at EMCC.  The documentary showed about ten of them.  Not sure how people are judging his abilities solely from this limited (and heavily edited) exposure.

I'm sure a lot of you are the same people who were screaming that NM wasn't good enough to play QB at Georgia, so why are we signing him.  Relax, and have a little faith.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

I heard similar comments from a couple of folks that have watched a few of the QB/WR drills since about the 2nd week of July.  My "source" if you can call 'em that, comes from a Sean White biased opinion though.... so I'm not sure how much honesty there is in their comments about JF3?

After reading this thread, I don't think I'll watch the documentary.  I don't want to form a personal opinion about a kid that had a camera in his face 24/7.  My own son  is in the middle of two-a-days in full pads with HS football this week - I'd hate to see what a little punkass he could be if his every action was on film. YIKES!)

Like I said before I am by no means a coach or scout who can judge if JF3 can throw well enough to play in the SEC.  I have just seen him throw a couple times this summer without pads on and it looked to me like he could throw the ball good enough to be our starter. 

WDE, I will be right there with u if JF3 doesn't take control of the starting position within the next 2 weeks then our qb situation is a mess. The fact alone that we signed JF3 and our coaches are hoping he takes control of the QB position from SW and JJ after both have been here for a while tells you that our coaches don't feel we can win big with either of them. 

Imo JF3 will take control and win the starting nod vs Clemson. Like Bird said yesterday though I don't like the fact that we will not be able to bring him along slowly like we did with NM with us having crucial games to start the season.

Again, for the hundredth time...Cam and JF3's ADay's were nothing alike.  One could lead a team down the field and make all the throws...and one could not.  Cam threw the ball little too hot and too high to 3rd string receivers. JF3 could not make the simplest of throws during ADay, which has nothing to do with whether you can run or not.

Maybe his legs and decision making are so great that he overcomes his arm (and the weird swivel windup he has to do to throw a long ball), and I'm hoping for that..but I can;t imagine him being much more than a redzone or change of pace QB at the moment.

I respect your inside information, but I think you're blinded with wishful thinking.

AU devil I hardly remember Cams Aday performance. I was in school at AU at the time. I just seem to remember that he had a very bad performance. I just looked it up he was 3 of 8 for 61 yards while Caudle and Trotter had very good performances. I do think you are wrong when you say that JF3 not being able to run didn't affect his Aday game performance.  The defense not having to really worry about that definitely affects the scheme and coverage. A qb like JF3 gets a much better feel and rhythm during the game when he can run the ball.  I agree he could not make some simple throws but that's what we are hoping he has improved. Also what's my wishful thinking? I just want to win no matter who the qb is. I do wish and hope that JF3 improves his passing because imo we can win the SEC with him at qb but not with the other two. I also agree that his performance during the spring would make you believe that he can't be a qb in the league atm. We need to remember though this was his first time being the qb @ Auburn and the first time he had run our offense. He is more comfortable with the offense now and hopefully this will lead to better results. Someone mentioned yesterday Pat White and WV who was not good throwing the football but they won a lot of games and the offense was dynamic. I believe that we will have a good enough rushing attack this year where JF3 won't have to be great throwing the football. If he can keep from turning the ball over and make enough throws I think we can win a lot of games. Again I am not a football coach and this is all just my opinion.

24 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Again, for the hundredth time...Cam and JF3's ADay's were nothing alike.  One could lead a team down the field and make all the throws...and one could not.  Cam threw the ball little too hot and too high to 3rd string receivers. JF3 could not make the simplest of throws during ADay, which has nothing to do with whether you can run or not.

Maybe his legs and decision making are so great that he overcomes his arm (and the weird swivel windup he has to do to throw a long ball), and I'm hoping for that..but I can;t imagine him being much more than a redzone or change of pace QB at the moment.

I respect your inside information, but I think you're blinded with wishful thinking.

Just watching the FSU spring game from 2014.  JFIII does not look perfect but he throws some nice balls here and there and his speed is exceptional.  I know it is just a spring game but looks like there is plenty there for CGM to work with.  He is obviously not thick like Nick was but it does not seem totally out of the question that he could be a reasonable facsimile eventually.  It may be wishful thinking but I am guessing he will be out there against Clemson.  

1 minute ago, austudnt23 said:

AU devil I hardly remember Cams Aday performance. I was in school at AU at the time. I just seem to remember that he had a very bad performance. I just looked it up he was 3 of 8 for 61 yards while Caudle and Trotter had very good performances. I do think you are wrong when you say that JF3 not being able to run didn't affect his Aday game performance.  The defense not having to really worry about that definitely affects the scheme and coverage.  I agree he could not make some simple throws but that's what we are hoping he has improved. Also what's my wishful thinking? I just want to win no matter who the qb is. I do wish and hope that JF3 improves his passing because imo we can win the SEC with him at qb but not with the other two. I also agree that his performance during the spring would make you believe that he can't be a qb in the league atm. We need to remember though this was his first time being the qb @ Auburn and the first time he had run our offense. He is more comfortable with the offense now and hopefully this will lead to better results. Someone mentioned yesterday Pat White and WV who was not good throwing the football but they won a lot of games and the offense was dynamic. I believe that we will have a good enough rushing attack this year where JF3 won't have to be great throwing the football. If he can keep from turning the ball over and make enough throws I think we can win a lot of games. Again I am not a football coach and this is all just my opinion.

If he can get to the level of Pat White I'll be ecstatic...maybe he can.  They're very similar.   Cam's performance was better than the 3-8 indicates.  I was there and paying attention...a few were too high, some dropped..one TD went right through a slow white guy's arms.  You knew the guy needed to get only a few things straightened out to be an NFL QB.

Here's to hope!

Let me double down on that.  In the latter stages of the spring game, he is slinging the ball around and completing passes in the intermediate range and the commentators are praising his "mechanics."  Maybe the sky is not falling.  Pulling for whoever wins the job but based on what we saw last year, JFIII looks like he should have a good chance to be the man. 

Our coaches saw something in JF3 so I'm going to trust them. People were flaming them over NM & look how that turned out. I'm not saying I expect the same result but I trust the coaches on this one. 

I know that the coaches brought in JF3 as a QB alone. That said, maybe the reason behind it wasn't so much that SW wasn't good enough, but rather we had absolutely no one else on our team to play QB. If Sean had gotten hurt and we hadn't brought in JF3, then who do you have to play? The coaches knew JJ was not going to be the answer.

Yes, I know the coaches want JF3 to win the job because he could be electric. However, by all accounts I have, he has not progressed as much as they had hoped. I do know both QBs expect to start. Again, I don't care who starts as long as we are competitive and successful.  The next  2 weeks will be very enlightening.

47 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

If he can get to the level of Pat White I'll be ecstatic...maybe he can.  They're very similar.   Cam's performance was better than the 3-8 indicates.  I was there and paying attention...a few were too high, some dropped..one TD went right through a slow white guy's arms.  You knew the guy needed to get only a few things straightened out to be an NFL QB.

Here's to hope!

I'm with you with the hope.. a qb like JF3 gets into a rhythm and a better flow for the game when he runs and gets hit. That's why I think that the Aday performance was affected by him being in the orange. When he knows he basically can't run and has to sit back and be a pocket qb it doesn't flow well. I agree with you Pat White and JF3 are very similar. I would say JF3 has the stronger arm but both have accuracy problems. JF3 wont have to be dead accurate he will just have to get the ball to where the wr can make a play because there will be alot of open wr with defenses gearing up to stop the run. Yeah I don't remember much about the Cam Aday performance so I will trust what you saw and observed. 

I hope Gus doesn't mention one word about the QBs publicly for the next month.  I want him to give vanilla commentary on their performance....total coach speak and not give a clue as to which one will take the reigns.... I hope he never names the starter and makes the whole country wait till the first snap vs CU.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That said, maybe the reason behind it wasn't so much that SW wasn't good enough, but rather we had absolutely no one else on our team to play QB. If Sean had gotten hurt and we hadn't brought in JF3, then who do you have to play?

That's a good point.  Having more depth allows the coaches to run with SW more than last year, which is what it will take for the zone read elements to be successful.  As we saw against MSU, and as you have pointed out earlier, SW is not slow.  He is deceptively quick enough to get past the linebackers.  Not having enough bodies at the QB position last year may have been more of a reason for limiting the QB runs by both SW and JJ.  If we are running the zone read, there needs to be at least a small threat that the QB could tuck it and run.

34 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I know that the coaches brought in JF3 as a QB alone. That said, maybe the reason behind it wasn't so much that SW wasn't good enough, but rather we had absolutely no one else on our team to play QB. If Sean had gotten hurt and we hadn't brought in JF3, then who do you have to play? The coaches knew JJ was not going to be the answer.

Yes, I know the coaches want JF3 to win the job because he could be electric. However, by all accounts I have, he has not progressed as much as they had hoped. I do know both QBs expect to start. Again, I don't care who starts as long as we are competitive and successful.  The next  2 weeks will be very enlightening.

Everyone around the program feels SW is a good qb. It's more about when SW is the starting qb for us it takes away a dimension of our offense and this affects all the other areas of offense. If the defense can focus only on the rbs and know when we run the read the rbs will get it 75% or more of the time it is hard to run our offense. Bird you are a coach and know alot more than me about football and schemes etc. I am just saying what the feeling around the program is. Even though SW is not slow the defense knows he is not going to beat them with his legs. He can make a few olays a game but would never be able to make plays like NM. With NM and Cam obviously the defense knew they could beat them running the ball. Now we could change the offense around some and SW could be very effective. SW would be very good in an offense  where throwing the ball and accuracy are the main objectives of the QB. We need a qb that scares opposing defenses running the ball in the offense CGM wants to run in order to win championships.

31 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My opinion has remained that they brought him in because he was literally a "can't lose" prospect.  If he could get good enough to win the starting QB job, great.  If he could not, then perhaps he could get good enough to be a quality backup.  If he could not earn #1 or #2 QB solidly, then he's fast enough that you can find something for him to do well.

While a dual-threat QB would be ideal for our O, we don't have one that is ready on the roster. We have a runner and we have a passer. Woody might be the only dual guy we have right now and he needs to RS.  Sean runs as well as JF3 passes.

Looks to me like in 2013 we had 729 rushing attempts and 285 passing attempts which would be 72% rushing and 28% passing.  So I'm guessing if you're good enough you can run the ball even when the other team knows you're going to run the ball (e.g. watch Bama's last drive against us when everyone in the known universe knew Henry was going to get the ball and we couldn't stop it).  If we can run it better than we can pass it, let's run it most of the time.

Check my calculations in case I screwed it up http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

While a dual-threat QB would be ideal for our O, we don't have one that is ready on the roster. We have a runner and we have a passer. Woody might be the only dual guy we have right now and he needs to RS.  Sean runs as well as JF3 passes.

Looking on the bright side, isn't having either a running threat or an accurate passing threat a step up from most of last year, when we had neither? 

19 hours ago, AUBwins said:

To piggy back on this,  how short of a leash would SW have if he is the starter if we are not moving the ball consistently? 

Great question. I've wondered this as well..esp. when if it happens in the Clemson game. I hope all goes well first half but what if we get behind by 10 or 14 points? I think i'd have to be by more points for Gus to consider pulling SW...just my feeling. I mainly feel that way b/c of Gus's stubbornness or having the feeling we can overcome a hole like that. 

57 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Looks to me like in 2013 we had 729 rushing attempts and 285 passing attempts which would be 72% rushing and 28% passing.  So I'm guessing if you're good enough you can run the ball even when the other team knows you're going to run the ball (e.g. watch Bama's last drive against us when everyone in the known universe knew Henry was going to get the ball and we couldn't stop it).  If we can run it better than we can pass it, let's run it most of the time.

Check my calculations in case I screwed it up http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html

Unfortunately you can't look at those numbers in a silo.  Had we not been able to effectively pass, we wouldn't have won at least one of the games we did... Mississippi State.  That game was 66% passing. The big question that remains is, had we tried to play our ground game more, or ramped up the passing more against LSU and Florida State (both about 50-50 passing/rushing), would we have won those games?

You can run at will, but only until you find that DC who has your number... then you better be able to pass.

8 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Great question. I've wondered this as well..esp. when if it happens in the Clemson game. I hope all goes well first half but what if we get behind by 10 or 14 points? I think i'd have to be by more points for Gus to consider pulling SW...just my feeling. I mainly feel that way b/c of Gus's stubbornness or having the feeling we can overcome a hole like that. 

I don't think there's any way, if Sean starts, he gets pulled for John if we are behind. I've never met a coach who goes "we're behind, better concentrate on running it".  I could definitely see it the other way around, however... just like the failed attempt against Georgia last year.  You're behind... pull your ground guy and put in the passer.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

See this lies the problem with most the forum, you go by what "Others" tell you, instead doing a small amount of research and using your own evaluation skills. Do people really think they they evaluated and decided to offer him based on one JUCO game? He was a QB at Florida State, he was 3rd String as a True Freshman. You can even see him throwing during that game . 

He can pass "worth a lick" he is just erratic, which is all lower half( Fundamentals), which was mentioned during the documentary. He has been working on that this summer, what's left is to see where he is now. 

Archived