JF3 in Netflix Documentary- airing 7/29

During Marshall's last 21 games as an Auburn Tiger, he had an incredible QBR of 153.6. Only Jason Campbell (154.9) was better than Marshall during his last 21 games.

Marshall was 249-412-9-3606yds-30 TD's and 1578-yds rushing and 21 td's during his last 21 games as an Auburn Tiger.

Marshall produced 5184-yds and 51 TD's during his last 21 games.
Campbell produced 4213-yards and 29 TD's during his last 21 games.
Sullivan produced 5309-yards and 47 TD's during his last 21 games.
Craig produced 5687-yds and 42 TD's during his last 21 games.
Nix produced 4585-yards and 31 TD's during his last 21 games.

I get the thought process some have of trying to compare JFIII with NM in terms of their paths to Auburn but we have the luxury of knowing what kind of passer NM would become as an Auburn Tiger. Anyone comparing JFIII to NM at this point is not being fair to NM or JFIII for that matter. Cam Newton ended up being the "Bo Jackson" of the QB position. Nick Marshall ended up being the "Carnell Williams" of the QB position. As of right now, JFIII is the Onterio McCalebb of the QB position and I hope he becomes the "Tre Mason" of the QB position.
If Franklin can end up being the kind of a passer NM became, than Auburn will win a boat load of games with an improved defense.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

We are hearing different thibgs if you are hearing JF3 isnt progressing.JF3 is progressing over the summer. Also I wasn't saying we are going to run 75-80% of the time I was saying I believe we have the talent to win 9 games doing so. Do yall actually believe we have any shot to win a title with SW at qb?  SW is a very good qb, but i am sorry he just isnt the right fit for our system unless Gus goes to a pass first attack. The risk may be a lot higher with JF3 but so is the reward. NM was definitely damn good but I think you are overstating that opponents had much respect for his passing ability. Not saying that he was a bad passer but teams were worried about the read option 1st and foremost with NM amd Mason. NM had a lot of wide open passing lanes to throw and JF3 will have the same.  NM had ice in his veins and made some of the biggest throws in Auburn history. That Alabama game is 2014 you are speaking of NM threw a ton of deep balls which JF3 actually does pretty well. NM plays DB in the NFL which shows how good of an athlete is he and also shows he was not a very polished passer. NM is one of my favorite Auburn players of all time so please don't take any of this as me trying to talk him down. Gus won't be hitting the panic button if he starts JF3. 

The thing is we do not know if SW, JJ or JF3 are very good QBs. They have potential to be good QBs, but we do not have concrete evidence for any of the three. That is the biggest dilemma. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Wait a min....chimes! That's you?! I don't know what handle I thought I was reading but I'm just now realizing! What up my dude! Welcome back! Man I'm glad to see you! Somebody to argue with that won't go tell on me! 

Now what can I correct you about today fam??

Haha thanks for the warm welcome, Cole. Good to be back.

23 minutes ago, DAG said:
27 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

During Marshall's last 21 games as an Auburn Tiger, he had an incredible QBR of 153.6. Only Jason Campbell (154.9) was better than Marshall during his last 21 games.

Marshall was 249-412-9-3606yds-30 TD's and 1578-yds rushing and 21 td's during his last 21 games as an Auburn Tiger.

Marshall produced 5184-yds and 51 TD's during his last 21 games.
Campbell produced 4213-yards and 29 TD's during his last 21 games.
Sullivan produced 5309-yards and 47 TD's during his last 21 games.
Craig produced 5687-yds and 42 TD's during his last 21 games.
Nix produced 4585-yards and 31 TD's during his last 21 games.

I get the thought process some have of trying to compare JFIII with NM in terms of their paths to Auburn but we have the luxury of knowing what kind of passer NM would become as an Auburn Tiger. Anyone comparing JFIII to NM at this point is not being fair to NM or JFIII for that matter. Cam Newton ended up being the Bo Jackson of the QB position. Nick Marshall ended up being the Carnell Williams of the QB position. As of right now, JFIII is the Onterio McCalebb of the QB position.
If Franklin can end up being the kind of a passer NM became, than Auburn will win a boat load of games with an improved defense.

Stat you are correct NM was a stud and my 2nd favorite Auburn player of all time behind Cam. I am saying that with his running ability and the offense we run helped NM get a lot looks at open wr. I do not think NM would have had those stats say if he played at LSU or a pass first school like Texas Tech. This is why JF3 needs to be our starter. CGM and the offense we run helped develope NM into one of the great all time Auburn players. JF3 will get those same passing lanes. Whether or not he can take advantage of them like NM did we will see. I am not saying JF3 will be NM that would be crazy to say at this point but he could be very comparable if he can get more consistent with his passing. I am just saying I am excited of what could be of JF3 turns out like I think he will. Everyone should be hoping and praying that JF3 will be good enough passing to get the job. We could be scary good if he is. 

I would love JF3 to prove a consistent accurate passers.  I do think our O would be very dynamic with him.  

I do wonder though, with this year's schedule being as front loaded as it is, is Gus going to be able to bring JF3 along as slowly as he did with NM.

25 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This is why JF3 needs to be our starter.

No, that is only your opinion. You must be JFIII's cousin or something with your tireless advocacy of him. 

46 minutes ago, DAG said:
16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I would love JF3 to prove a consistent accurate passers.  I do think our O would be very dynamic with him.  

I do wonder though, with this year's schedule being as front loaded as it is, is Gus going to be able to bring JF3 along as slowly as he did with NM.

Very good point Bird.  NM showed signs during the Miss State game, but really didn't hit his stride until the A&M game.

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To piggy back on this,  how short of a leash would SW have if he is the starter if we are not moving the ball consistently? 

33 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

To piggy back on this,  how short of a leash would SW have if he is the starter if we are not moving the ball consistently? 

A very short one...this is why us fans are scratching our collective heads...There is a reason the coaching staff felt the need to go after JF3 once the season concluded. I am still praying and hoping we just go back to the 2009 offense. I know most are not for a 2 QB system but it might be beneficial this year.

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

A very short one...this is why us fans are scratching our collective heads...There is a reason the coaching staff felt the need to go after JF3 once the season concluded. I am still praying and hoping we just go back to the 2009 offense. I know most are not for a 2 QB system but it might be beneficial this year.

Seems like we moved the ball most of the time when SW was at QB....just could not get it in the end zone which I greatly blame on Gus for some questionable play calling in the red zone.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

All of you need to slow down and take my lead. Haven't you noticed the more kind and more gentle Cole? Trust me it's the way to be

Yep and I totally agree...less stress that way

12 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Oh I know u wasn't trying to hide behind the keyboard and trash him. I admit that the show didn't make him look like the best of teammate. Any player in the country that had a camera following them all day would have looked the same way though. Also a college kid with a camera following him all day you know he is trying to look hard and cool for the camera. JF3 is not like the way that show made him look. Both his former college coaches endorsed him and told our coaches he would be a perfect fit here. Speaking of that show what happened to the big dl that wanted the Auburn offer? It never said where he signed.

it did at the end.  if you are referring to Ollie #90. he signed with Nichols state.

as for thee show, none of the kids looked good at one point or another.  the coaches were even worse.  if this is what college athletics has evolved to in the past 30 years, I am glad I was an athlete when I was. too much disrespect from everyone concerned.  pretty much a clear picture of the state of our country as a whole..........................

My wife watched this series with me.  After it was over, I was explaining the qb situation this season and asked her if she wants the other guys to beat Franklin for the job (she wasn't crazy about how his attitude was portrayed)

her reply......... Who else could they start?  They have no other option.

I have zero emotion invested in the battle, but will laugh my @$$ off if my wife called it with all of the "experts" we have on here.

4 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

We are hearing different thibgs if you are hearing JF3 isnt progressing.JF3 is progressing over the summer. Also I wasn't saying we are going to run 75-80% of the time I was saying I believe we have the talent to win 9 games doing so. Do yall actually believe we have any shot to win a title with SW at qb?  SW is a very good qb, but i am sorry he just isnt the right fit for our system unless Gus goes to a pass first attack. The risk may be a lot higher with JF3 but so is the reward. NM was definitely damn good but I think you are overstating that opponents had much respect for his passing ability. Not saying that he was a bad passer but teams were worried about the read option 1st and foremost with NM amd Mason. NM had a lot of wide open passing lanes to throw and JF3 will have the same.  NM had ice in his veins and made some of the biggest throws in Auburn history. That Alabama game is 2014 you are speaking of NM threw a ton of deep balls which JF3 actually does pretty well. NM plays DB in the NFL which shows how good of an athlete is he and also shows he was not a very polished passer. NM is one of my favorite Auburn players of all time so please don't take any of this as me trying to talk him down. Gus won't be hitting the panic button if he starts JF3. 

It's all good... we can agree to disagree.

But, from the several practices I saw in the spring, Franklin's passing was cringe worthy.  He's a talented kid, but Jeremy and White were well ahead of Franklin (throwing the ball).  That being said, I haven't seen any of them since the spring ended, so Franklin may be getting a lot better... cause he's gonna have to get A LOT better. 

Gus was definitely giving him one-on-one attention from what I saw, but Franklin was still noticeably behind the other two.

Anything can happen in camp tho... we've seen it before.

Ok so to sum this thread up, if you were for sw starting you're still for him starting and if you think jf3 has potential he will start. Sounds about right?

From what I've seen of John, both on the highlight reel, the scrimmage field, and the doc, he has a long way to go before he can run the Nick Marshall offense. Who knows if he can get there, but from what I've seen, he lacks the two things that made the offense click. 1) His arm strength down the field pales in comparison. Nick was a rare bird. He had a stronger arm than Cam. He was a wrist flick for 50 yards, and John just doesn't have that. Not many do. 2) His ball handling is below average. Nick was a damn wizard. His ball handling was the underrated key to our success in 2013, and it's no coincidence the team lost the game his ball skills failed him (2014 A&M). John is a better/faster runner, but he's sloppy with the ball and unconvincing on the fake. I'd rather have the guy a step slower that doesn't get hit for the first 15 yards over the blazer that can't create space off the read. 

He has had time to work. I don't think anything can solve the first thing, which is why he has to be more accurate than Nick was in the intermediate game. He won't hurt teams as consistently over the top. Sean had more zip on the ball downfield than John. The second one can absolutely improve. If it does and his intermediate/short passing gets more consistent, he's the starter. If he can't ace the run game, Sean will be the much better player. 

More zip downfield?? I have to see some type of film proof of that before I can believe that. NM also had one of the best deep threats in college football as his WR.

9 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

My wife watched this series with me.  After it was over, I was explaining the qb situation this season and asked her if she wants the other guys to beat Franklin for the job (she wasn't crazy about how his attitude was portrayed)

her reply......... Who else could they start?  They have no other option.

I have zero emotion invested in the battle, but will laugh my @$$ off if my wife called it with all of the "experts" we have on here.

You don't seem like a John Madden, yourself.

8 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

From what I've seen of John, both on the highlight reel, the scrimmage field, and the doc, he has a long way to go before he can run the Nick Marshall offense. Who knows if he can get there, but from what I've seen, he lacks the two things that made the offense click. 1) His arm strength down the field pales in comparison. Nick was a rare bird. He had a stronger arm than Cam. He was a wrist flick for 50 yards, and John just doesn't have that. Not many do. 2) His ball handling is below average. Nick was a damn wizard. His ball handling was the underrated key to our success in 2013, and it's no coincidence the team lost the game his ball skills failed him (2014 A&M). John is a better/faster runner, but he's sloppy with the ball and unconvincing on the fake. I'd rather have the guy a step slower that doesn't get hit for the first 15 yards over the blazer that can't create space off the read. 

He has had time to work. I don't think anything can solve the first thing, which is why he has to be more accurate than Nick was in the intermediate game. He won't hurt teams as consistently over the top. Sean had more zip on the ball downfield than John. The second one can absolutely improve. If it does and his intermediate/short passing gets more consistent, he's the starter. If he can't ace the run game, Sean will be the much better player. 

The problem is, the other two, who positives are supposed to be their passing abilities, are average at best. They aren't particularly excellent in anything else. Based on the A day game, I would hardly call any of them a much better player than the other. Especially since we didn't get to see a true QB-read offense.

First I will start with a disclaimer, only time I've seen JF3 play for AU was at A-Day. But I'm told by people who coach football for a living that JF3 can not pass worth the damn. And this is from some guys who have seen JF3 throw in the last couple of weeks. Couple this with the documentary and I don't know where to start with Gus. Man. Deep deep deep problems at the QB position. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

The problem is, the other two, who positives are supposed to be their passing abilities, are average at best. They aren't particularly excellent in anything else. Based on the A day game, I would hardly call any of them a much better player than the other. Especially since we didn't get to see a true QB-read offense.

I can't recall the last time an A Day game revealed a new star.   Take another look at the video and watch the offense which was awful....because of the play calling and the miss-matched teams WRs who did not seem to know the routes or poor communication, etc.....looked like day #1 of fall practice to me.   

I don't know what Gus's intention was for the game...maybe just to have a day where guys like Cox could carry the ball.....but it was not a game-like situation in any way.....just a scrimmage.....so I think it's a mistake to assess ANY player based on that game.  JMO.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I can't recall the last time an A Day game revealed a new star.   Take another look at the video and watch the offense which was awful....because of the play calling and the miss-matched teams WRs who did not seem to know the routes or poor communication, etc.....looked like day #1 of fall practice to me.   

I don't know what Gus's intention was for the game...maybe just to have a day where guys like Cox could carry the ball.....but it was not a game-like situation in any way.....just a scrimmage.....so I think it's a mistake to assess ANY player based on that game.  JMO.

Well when I provide stats from last year, you guys make excuses about that too. So, pick your poison. Quite frankly, I am basing it on what I saw last year, in addition to the stats, concluding with the A Day game. The accumulation of all that did not show me anyone primed to lead us to be a contender.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree. 

Archived