Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. If the guy with the least amount of their coaching wins the job based mostly on his athleticism, then I don't see it as an endorsement of Gus's and Rhett's coaching skills.

I can see where one would see it the other way- if Franklin gets better under their tutelage than he has in all his previous years combined, then they must be good coaches- but really it would only mean that he's gotten his passing and ball security skills up to "adequate for a guy who is electric with the ball in his hands". 

There is no way I can see him being a polished passer by Clemson. My thinking is they hope he can make the easiest passes possible while utilize his speed for the QB read. I cannot see too many intermediate passes from JF3 and I honestly can't see him passing the ball over 20 something times. If he does start , I am thinking we are going to control clock by running the ball, play field position and let the defense live up to its reputation.

No clue if this will really work. I just want the coaches to decide their QB and whoever they pick , remain confident in that QB. 

Just now, DAG said:

I just want the coaches to decide their QB and whoever they pick , remain confident in that QB. 

I really wonder if they failed both guys in that regard last year. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

In the SEC East? I doubt it. I am not even talking about the true freshman QB. The good thing about good running games and tough defenses is that it can make up for youth . Last year, UGA had zero QBs , basically played the wildcat half the time, without Chubb and still won 9 games all due to their defense and lack of QB talent in the east.

i can't imagine they would be worst with Chubb coming back and their defense . If anything on par with last year . 

I agree for the most part. I don't keep up with UGA much so I have no idea what shape they're in as far as WR and OL goes. I'm sure Kirby will have a good defense.

i was just saying, if Chubb/Michelle gets hurt (again....) and they have to start leaning on their passing game a little more then they may be in for a rough little stretch. Much like our defense last year without Carl.

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree. If the guy with the least amount of their coaching wins the job based mostly on his athleticism, then I don't see it as an endorsement of Gus's and Rhett's coaching skills.

I can see where one would see it the other way- if Franklin gets better under their tutelage than he has in all his previous years combined, then they must be good coaches- but really it would only mean that he's gotten his passing and ball security skills up to "adequate for a guy who is electric with the ball in his hands". 

I just don't think there is any way that Gus puts him out there as the starter if he doesn't win the job outright, and the only way he does that is if he has improved dramatically... which would be a function of good coaching that he apparently didn't get at FSU and JuCo, since his JuCo and even his A-Day footage showed bad mechanics, poor ball protection, etc.

Knowing Gus's tendencies, if John isn't showing that he can make a serious difference, he'll go with Sean as the least risky option. He's not going to put a guy out there who's a constant interception/fumble risk just because he's athletic. I really believe, if John starts, there was some quality coaching involved.  I guess he could have learned everything from Michael Vick and his QB coach......

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I really wonder if they failed both guys in that regard last year. 

JJ had to get pulled . I think they failed SW from the get go when they chose to quit letting him play his style after that one pick from Miss.State.

Hard for a QB to get in a rhythm when you decide to handicap him with conservative play calling. At least for that game that is what I saw and I believe Mississippi state saw that as well and put it on cruise control. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I just don't think there is any way that Gus puts him out there as the starter if he doesn't win the job outright, and the only way he does that is if he has improved dramatically... which would be a function of good coaching that he apparently didn't get at FSU and JuCo

Several thoughts:
-He doesn't have to be terribly good to be better than JJ
-Again, dramatic improvement still doesn't mean he's gotten "good" in the aspects of quarterbacking where he needed to improve. According to film and practice reports- as you point out- he needed dramatic improvement just to work his way up to "okay". No, Gus and Rhett don't deserve a ton of credit for getting him up to "okay", especially when...
-...the fact that they had more success than a JUCO coach and an FSU staff who wasn't so desperate that they had to waste time trying to turn a project into their starter doesn't really mean much. Make no mistake, that is the difference here. Gus is desperate. Franklin's previous coaches were not. Which is why I brought up Jason Smith. If we were in the same shape in Spring 2015 that we were in Spring 2016, I'm not so sure they're not still trying to give him "every opportunity to win the job". His credentials and film as a JUCO QB were superior to Franklin's. Difference is, last year we thought we had a Heisman-caliber guy. This year, we're desperate to find somebody decent enough not to screw it all up.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Several thoughts:
-Again, dramatic improvement still doesn't mean he's gotten "good" in the aspects of quarterbacking where he needed to improve. According to film and practice reports- as you point out- he needed dramatic improvement just to work his way up to "okay". No, Gus and Rhett don't deserve a ton of credit for getting him up to "okay", especially when...
-...the fact that they had more success than a JUCO coach and an FSU staff who wasn't so desperate that they had to waste time trying to turn a project into their starter doesn't really mean much. Make no mistake, that is the difference here. Gus is desperate. Franklin's previous coaches were not. Which is why I brought up Jason Smith. If we were in the same shape in Spring 2015 that we were in Spring 2016, I'm not so sure they're not still trying to give him "every opportunity to win the job". His credentials and film as a JUCO QB were superior to Franklin's. Difference is, last year we thought we had a Heisman-caliber guy. This year, we're desperate to find somebody decent enough not to screw it all up.

This is what scares me. It seemed just a week ago CRL was prepping us for JF3 to not be ready at QB . Now , Rumors (which can be false) point to JF3 making a run at starting . It seems to me that the coaching staff is exhausting every opportunity to ensure JF3 the opportunity to start. I can be 100 % wrong but that is okay it is just my opinion. I am a little baffled at this moment and I don't really buy into the notion that they are keeping Clemson on their toes. Clemson does not care. Not just my words , their DC said as much in a presser pretty bluntly.

To me it seems like they are keeping pressure off JJ as long as possible and will put him out there. Thats why we have not heard anything about him recently. I hope he can do it and lives up to his potential. I think everyone would agree that a fully operational JJ would be the best option.

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

To me it seems like they are keeping pressure off JJ as long as possible and will put him out there. Thats why we have not heard anything about him recently. I hope he can do it and lives up to his potential. I think everyone would agree that a fully operational JJ would be the best option.

Haha if JJ trots out there , I imagine there would be a huge gasp from the Auburn fanbase. We would really be in for a tailspin .

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Several thoughts:

All of this.  In fact, if JF3 starts and plays like he did in Juco and on A-Day, it will show incredibly poor coaching to start him.

wde

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Haha if JJ trots out there , I imagine there would be a huge gasp from the Auburn fanbase. We would really be in for a tailspin .

Gus just seems like the loyal type that is going to give him a second chance....

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Why though? What in the world has Sean White done to warrant the benefit of the doubt, more than JJ? JJ has way more experience, JJ has more wins, JJ is physically more likely to last an SEC season, and JJ has a higher upside. People are comparing JJ to pre 2015 JJ and they should be comparing him to the other QB's on the roster. 

Dont care what the fan base thinks if JJ goes out there, our personal feelings wont win games

truth is, not matter how people feel JJ was 4-2  with 16 TD's. He was the best qb we had no hypebole

1 hour ago, VipersStrike1 said:

He went 12 of 28 against Ole Miss.

42.8%

That's a nice game?

Well I agree that is a poor completion rate. 

But let's also take into consideration the 21.5 yard per completion average. Or do you choose want to continue to carp on the negative part of his game without including positive aspects.

12 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

This is exactly what I am expecting. JJ has the most experience and can take a hit. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, he is the best first option to start against what in my book is the best team in the country.

Fact of the matter is that Sean White had less of an opportunity to fail, because he hardly played, and when he did it was against sub par defenses, except Ole Miss. If he had played against Bama, LSU, UGA, and Texas A&M, there is a good chance people would be singing a different tune, when it comes to Sean. 

16 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Why though? What in the world has Sean White done to warrant the benefit of the doubt, more than JJ? JJ has way more experience, JJ has more wins, JJ is physically more likely to last an SEC season, and JJ has a higher upside. People are comparing JJ to pre 2015 JJ and they should be comparing him to the other QB's on the roster. 

Are you really accusing me of giving SW more of the benefit of the doubt than JJ? 

And I would be in a tailspin because it seems like the battle has been between JF3 and SW. It has nothing to do with JJ the QB. It would just be a surprise for me. Not a gasp of oh God this guy sucks . 

30 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Fact of the matter is that Sean White had less of an opportunity to fail, because he hardly played, and when he did it was against sub par defenses, except Ole Miss. If he had played against Bama, LSU, UGA, and Texas A&M, there is a good chance people would be singing a different tune, when it comes to Sean. 

I too would like to see SW against the likes of those defenses . Although , I don't know if I necessarily agree that he had less of an opportunity to fail. To be frank, I do think we beat the Aggies with SW at QB. I also think we still lose to ole miss  with JJ at QB . 

7 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Well I agree that is a poor completion rate. 

But let's also take into consideration the 21.5 yard per completion average. Or do you choose want to continue to carp on the negative part of his game without including positive aspects.

If you were just an unbiased spectator, or if you merely read SW's stat line in the paper from a different QB, I highly doubt you'd consider that a great game. Knowing that three drives stalled in the redzone, two from within the five yard line, I don't know that an argument exists that shows he had a good game without cherry picking the stats.

30 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

If Jeremy gets the start against Clemson, I'm going to have to force myself to not get too optimistic about the season, because what that tells me is that he's got it together and we're going to see what we thought we would see last year.

It would also make me like Gus even more for totally snowing everyone during the off season.

Sean's red zone issues are easily diagnosed, IMO. Malzahn's offense isn't what you'd call a smorgasbord of receiving routes. His redzone offense relies pretty heavily on the QB having an option to run. When Sean stands in the pocket, inside the 10 yard line, he's basically just hoping that a defender completely blows his assignment.

57 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what scares me. It seemed just a week ago CRL was prepping us for JF3 to not be ready at QB . Now , Rumors (which can be false) point to JF3 making a run at starting . It seems to me that the coaching staff is exhausting every opportunity to ensure JF3 the opportunity to start. I can be 100 % wrong but that is okay it is just my opinion. I am a little baffled at this moment and I don't really buy into the notion that they are keeping Clemson on their toes. Clemson does not care. Not just my words , their DC said as much in a presser pretty bluntly.

Come on, that quote from the Clemson DC is bravado talk, which is what we expect from our opponent. Do you expect them to say, we are worried if it will be a DT QB like JF3 or a drop back passer like SW. Or that Clemson must prepare for both which limits us to be solidly prepared. No, he put it back on us...lol.

Nothing should scare you..just know that we really after ALL these threads and posts and back and forth over our QBs, dont know what we have until we see it exexute against Clemson. And what i HOPE...is to see a QB emerge than shows moxie in the face of fire...and still can find a way to move our offense and score in the Redzone...

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Sean's red zone issues are easily diagnosed, IMO. Malzahn's offense isn't what you'd call a smorgasbord of receiving routes. His redzone offense relies pretty heavily on the QB having an option to run. When Sean stands in the pocket, inside the 10 yard line, he's basically just hoping that a defender completely blows his assignment.

Looking at the 2008 Tulsa offense, Malzahn's team reached Redzone 74 times and scored 54 TDs. 32 by ground mail, the other 22 by air mail.  We have a great redzone percentage to this date, but it's too one dimensional one we get to playing top notch defenses. We need the balance of the 2008 offense. 

I took the above info from the following article( Boy, don't we wish we were still this ecstatic about Gus's offenses!):

http://www.warblogle.com/2008/12/28/football/632/

25 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Come on that quote for the Clemson DC is bravado talk, which is what yo expect from your opponent. Do you expect them to say, we are worried if it will be a DT QB like JF3 or a drop back passer like SW. Or that Clemson must prepare for both which limits us to be solidly prepared. No, he put it back on us...lol.

Nothing should scare you..just know that we really after ALL these threads and posts and back and forth over our QBs, dont know what we have until we see it exexute against Clemson. And what i HOPE...is to see a QB emerge than shows moxie in the face of fire...and still can find a way to move our offense and score in the Redzone...

I posted the Clemson quote because I didn't want to be a tool and say something without having evidence as to why I believe it. You know like most of you guys do on these threads.

Of course if I didn't post that then one of you guys would've been like , IN YOUR OPINION. How do you know they don't care!! 

dang if you do, dang if you don't in these threads smh.

BTW here is the quote : I could (not) care less. Doesn't matter one bit to us," V enables said Tuesday, according to the Charleston Post and Courier . "It's not coachspeak. We're going to do what we do and adjust as it goes. That's up to them, whether or not they have confidence in their guy."

Doesn't look like coach speak to me.

Archived