Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's amazing that it's gotten this far and nobody's suggested that Gus may be sandbagging, or that Jeremy might actually be the guy, or that JFIII "just" needs to be better at everything that a quarterback does other than run a ball, or that Sean is slow, or that Rhett might be a good QB coach, or that Rhett might not be a good QB coach, or that our quarterbacks threw interceptions last year, or that it would be good if they threw very few interceptions this year but bad if they threw very many interceptions this year, or that Gus is probably going to choose the guy who gives us the best chance of winning, i.e. the head football coach in charge of winning football games wants the best football players to play in the football games, or that some teams on our schedule last year were better than others, or that it's usually not best to start a true freshman at quarterback, or that an offense's run game might also affect the passing game, or that Sean got injured last season...

Like, it's crazy that none of that stuff has come up. You'd think it all would have come up like dozens of times and that almost every one of those things would've been discussed in the first 5 pages of the thread. 

Sincerely,
Part of the Problem

You may be on to something..................humm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

8 pages and counting

But speed has dropped to 5pages/day.

I need more power, Cap'n!

43 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

There is a very good chance that Gus already knows who he will pick and isn't announcing for the strategy of it. I believe that is how Gus thinks. There is no use in getting into all the back and forth except for discussion purposes only. Some just need to find something to obsess on until opening day. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the emotion of somebody's frustration about not knowing what they want to know when they want to know it. JMHO :dunno: 

This could very well be the case. Despite the 'experts' here who think they know, they actually don't.

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's amazing that it's gotten this far and nobody's suggested that Gus may be sandbagging, or that Jeremy might actually be the guy, or that JFIII "just" needs to be better at everything that a quarterback does other than run a ball, or that Sean is slow, or that Rhett might be a good QB coach, or that Rhett might not be a good QB coach, or that our quarterbacks threw interceptions last year, or that it would be good if they threw very few interceptions this year but bad if they threw very many interceptions this year, or that Gus is probably going to choose the guy who gives us the best chance of winning, i.e. the head football coach in charge of winning football games wants the best football players to play in the football games, or that some teams on our schedule last year were better than others, or that it's usually not best to start a true freshman at quarterback, or that an offense's run game might also affect the passing game, or that Sean got injured last season...

Like, it's crazy that none of that stuff has come up. You'd think it all would have come up like dozens of times and that almost every one of those things would've been discussed in the first 5 pages of the thread. 

Sincerely,
Part of the Problem

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This could very well be the case. Despite the 'experts' here who think they know, they actually don't.

Why not....Gus may just be at the point that he does not want to spend the next 10 days defending his QB decision to people who saw is "selection" throw an INT in practice ....or fumble a hand-off.....and want to know if he made the correct decision. JMO but it's hard to believe at this point that he is truly undecided.

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Why not....Gus may just be at the point that he does not want to spend the next 10 days defending his QB decision to people who saw is "selection" throw an INT in practice ....or fumble a hand-off.....and want to know if he made the correct decision. JMO but it's hard to believe at this point that he is truly undecided.

Yep

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I will on page 49 just to piss Golf off

Heads will roll if you piss off us old farts.

Serious question....do any of you guys think that Gus might just wait until game time to show who the starter is when we walk out for the first drive of the game? 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Put all 3 QBs on the field for the first snap. Put JJ out wide. Have SW lined up in the gun. Bring JF3 in motion from the slot on the opposite side of JJ. Give it to him on the sweep, and have him pitch it back to JJ who finds Nate Craig-Meyers deep down the middle of the field for his first college catch for 40 yards.

:bananadance::bananadance: 

Isn't this similar to what Louisville tried against us last season first play? It didnt fare so well, if memory serves me

2 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Serious question....do any of you guys think that Gus might just wait until game time to show who the starter is when we walk out for the first drive of the game? 

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Especially with what Bird has pointed out.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sir Ian could blow a snot bubble on the stage like few Shakespearian actors before or since.

It' snot unusual to be loved by anyone....

Sorry.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sincerely,
Part of the Problem

I think I suggested this a few pages back. 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I agree with that notion. However, I personally think that they are going to take away the running option no matter who the QB is. I truly believe they are going to stack box, play press man outside and dare us to beat them by passing. I guess we will find out.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree they will stack the box. I believe every team will do it. Well, until we can prove we can pass consistently when we need to. That, to me, is the most necessary thing we need from our QB. 

I wouldn't press them. I would play catch man or bump and run and try to disrupt our unproven/inexperienced receivers.  I would also mix in cover 3 (I hate cover 3) because Gus' routes hardly ever attack underneath zones.

Well, there is a really good chance that they play a bit more balanced. Think about it, Outside of KJ, there really is no established RB who has dealt damage last year. The receivers are more of a threat since we have the experience there with Tony Stevens, Truitt, and Smith etc. They're mainly probably going to want to be balanced against the run because especially if SW is in, there is no need to really be so hard against a team with little running threat. Especially since Boulware, Lamar, and Smith have plenty of range and athleticism to play against the run as well as solid zones, also they're fairly tall. (I actually hung out with Tre when Carl brought him over to our apartment on his visit. He is as tall as me as a freshman ILB). Also, I wouldn't see them pressing if they were really trying to play the run. I don't think I need to tell you how hard it can be at times to play the run out of catch or press man. You're locked in with the receiver making yourself an easy block, if they send the receivers out on a dummy route, you've still got to cover them to make sure there is no RPO or Run-Pass Option going on. When playing with eyes on the receiver as you have to do in man, you can't watch the backfield to provide edge support like you can do in zone which means your ability to stop the run is diminished. Really I'd see them playing a Cover-3 Rolling Invert Sky look where they actually play the 2 OLBs out towards the flat/curl area and establish a mix of integrity against the run and pass. Either that or just base cover 2 because that's the best of both worlds. Man is sort of not really advised against this offense until they really prove where their strength lies. Also the worst thing you can do against athletic tall receivers is to put shorter CBs against them. We have 6'2 - 6'4 receivers on the edge so that's a nightmare. I wouldn't want to put corners in a situation where they're playing one on one man against a receiver with a HUGE catch radius. Doesn't matter how imperfect the QB is, the receivers can either out-muscle them, or just jump for ball. And again, there are also going to be difficult to play the run with your CBs having to focus on chasing down and tangling with a long receiver who can probably block and man-handle them, or run a chase-off route and run the corner out the picture. I'd probably see Stevens placed on the boundary against the boundary corner since he is the designated run stopper. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Well, last year, he announced the starting QB well ahead of the season opener and said he'd be a Heisman candidate. He didn't have to defend that choice. Everybody bought in. Maybe this year he's decided to go atr it a little differently -- not name a QB but proclaim the best defensive line in the country . Sigh.

IMO, I'm beginning to think Auburn coaches should just keep their cards tight to the vest and leave us guessing along with the opponents. Which might be exactly what they are doing regarding the QB choice right now. I just wish they had done the same regarding the D.

21 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Well, there is a really good chance that they play a bit more balanced. Think about it, Outside of KJ, there really is no established RB who has dealt damage last year. The receivers are more of a threat since we have the experience there with Tony Stevens, Truitt, and Smith etc. They're mainly probably going to want to be balanced against the run because especially if SW is in, there is no need to really be so hard against a team with little running threat. Especially since Boulware, Lamar, and Smith have plenty of range and athleticism to play against the run as well as solid zones, also they're fairly tall. (I actually hung out with Tre when Carl brought him over to our apartment on his visit. He is as tall as me as a freshman ILB). Also, I wouldn't see them pressing if they were really trying to play the run. I don't think I need to tell you how hard it can be at times to play the run out of catch or press man. You're locked in with the receiver making yourself an easy block, if they send the receivers out on a dummy route, you've still got to cover them to make sure there is no RPO or Run-Pass Option going on. When playing with eyes on the receiver as you have to do in man, you can't watch the backfield to provide edge support like you can do in zone which means your ability to stop the run is diminished. Really I'd see them playing a Cover-3 Rolling Invert Sky look where they actually play the 2 OLBs out towards the flat/curl area and establish a mix of integrity against the run and pass. Either that or just base cover 2 because that's the best of both worlds. Man is sort of not really advised against this offense until they really prove where their strength lies. Also the worst thing you can do against athletic tall receivers is to put shorter CBs against them. We have 6'2 - 6'4 receivers on the edge so that's a nightmare. I wouldn't want to put corners in a situation where they're playing one on one man against a receiver with a HUGE catch radius. Doesn't matter how imperfect the QB is, the receivers can either out-muscle them, or just jump for ball. And again, there are also going to be difficult to play the run with your CBs having to focus on chasing down and tangling with a long receiver who can probably block and man-handle them, or run a chase-off route and run the corner out the picture. I'd probably see Stevens placed on the boundary against the boundary corner since he is the designated run stopper. 

I would like to make a suggestion to the MODs:

How about from now, until game day, Flex is the only one that is allowed to post?

Can we make that happen?

9 minutes ago, AURex said:

Well, last year, he announced the starting QB well ahead of the season opener and said he'd be a Heisman candidate. He didn't have to defend that choice. Everybody bought in. Maybe this year he's decided to go atr it a little differently -- not name a QB but proclaim the best defensive line in the country . Sigh.

IMO, I'm beginning to think Auburn coaches should just keep their cards tight to the vest and leave us guessing along with the opponents. Which might be exactly what they are doing regarding the QB choice right now. I just wish they had done the same regarding the D.

Agree 100% would suit me for the coaches to be much more nebulous about what they are expecting but I think there is pressure on the coaches to keep the AU brand prominently displayed in the state sports pages and blogs and of course there are AU fans who demand to know all the details....even when it might be to AU's interest to be less forthcoming. 

So, whether there is "news" or not, Gus in particular , is out there talking about the team, being chatty with the sports hacks...and coach speak or not, the more questions he answers, the sooner he will say some things that he will regret later.

Flex, I hope you are studying to become a football coach. I really enjoy your posts and your knowledge level, even if I can't understand half of it. You've got a great way of explaining things that I think would benefit those that play the game. 

Like I said, even though I don't like it, I'd run 3 and yes, I'd have the OLB playing like you said. To me, knowing Gus' love for the wheel, deep out, and post, I would stay out of 2 unless you inverted the corners and safeties. Even then, there are two many holes that Gus' tree exploits in 2. I'd play a lot of 4 and 6 just because I don't like 3 due to losing your OLB

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sincerely,
Part of the Problem

One internet SN Oktoberfest for you...sir.

4 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

200.gif

Archived