Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I am an admitted SW fanboy, but if JF3 can be consistent enough to give us even a modicum of success in this clip I am all for him taking the reigns.

It scares me to death to see him carry the football like a loaf of bread!!!

3 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

ive been noticing that since the netflix doc.   Even when he passes the line of scrimmage he doesn't tuck.   But others here have mentioned he has improved his ball handling when i spoke up about it.   We will see this year

20 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

JFIII looks very good in this clip. He has a soft throw of which is not a bad thing at all. His accuracy seems to be on spot.  He deserves to be on the field as much as possible.  I do not care if he carries the ball like a bag of cow $hit as long as he can hold onto the ball!  I do know that he needs to make sure that the ball is an extension of his arm & hand and that nothing this side of the big red 200 foot tall turd in bammer's stadium, could pry it out of his hands & arm. I need some rest folks. No sleep in the past 36 hours due to a very bad reaction of some meds the doctor is trying out on me. Seriously folks.

IS there not any of our QBs that don't scare us about something they lack or create into mistakes?

JJ - Doesnt read defenses well. Throws it regardless of his vision of not seeing underneath coverages.

SW - Doesnt throw a good deep ball. apt to be injury prone. can't seem to get it into the endzone when he does get the team into the redzone.

JFIII - built like a toothpick. inaccurate thrower. Doesnt have ANY experience at this level of competition. Carries the ball loosely and prone to turning it over.

Soooooo...who is the lucky QB for us to watch guide our offense, and do as we bite our nails and say ohhhh...#$%& when they make a mistake..)))

2 hours ago, autan said:

So consensus is SW has a weak arm, lead feet, and makes poor decisions.  Why have our coaches told him he has a chance to be the starting QB?  In his best interest they should have cut him loose in the spring so he could tear it up at a JUCO this fall then go somewhere next fall that would be a better fit for his skill set.

Don't forget turnover prone.

And discard the nice games he had against Arkansas, Kentucky, and OM. Despite the fact two of the three had winning records and won bowls all three of those teams sucked so his performance in those three games do not count

The saddest thing to me about this 39 page conversation is how little JJ is mentioned and I guess the odds must not be more than 1% that he will start against Clemson...and only slightly higher that he will play any meaningful time?   :dunno:

The guy has all the physical tools....if you designed a QB he would look like JJ....the arm, the physical size, better than average foot speed and a HS record that was probably as good as any player we've recruited.....plus he is in his 4th season.  

And yet, he is rarely mentioned in the discussions except to re-discuss the problems he had last year..... which perhaps still plague him but I'm not sure we know that.    I do wonder what is going on in his mind.....approaching his final year, apparently he has been  given up on by most AU people...and maybe his coaches too..... yet staying at AU rather than moving along to some lower category school like some of his former team mates. 

He's worked his butt off in the heat and humidity and far as we know he is still eager to play.....at least I'm hoping that is the case because no matter how things look with SW and JF3, the time might come when JJ is the guy needed to make an important play and I hope he is ready. ...and I think he will be.

17 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

JFIII looks very good in this clip. He has a soft throw of which is not a bad thing at all. His accuracy seems to be on spot.  He deserves to be on the field as much as possible.  I do not care if he carries the ball like a bag of cow $hit as long as he can hold onto the ball!  I do know that he needs to make sure that the ball is an extension of his arm & hand and that nothing this side of the big red 200 foot tall turd in bammer's stadium, could pry it out of his hands & arm. I need some rest folks. No sleep in the past 36 hours due to a very bad reaction of some meds the doctor is trying out on me. Seriously folks.

Lots of people look good in a small clip. JFIII couldn't take the starting job from a guy who finished JUCO with zero D1 offers (and who was a backup himself to the current Ole Miss QB at that same JUCO). I hope Franklin has a great career here, but he missed open WRs, put the ball on the ground, and made bad in-game decisions from what I saw in the documentary. As near as I can tell, all he brings to the table is "fast", unless he has made tremendous strides at QB recently.

4 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

Lots of people look good in a small clip. JFIII couldn't take the starting job from a guy who finished JUCO with zero D1 offers (and who was a backup himself to the current Ole Miss QB at that same JUCO). I hope Franklin has a great career here, but he missed open WRs, put the ball on the ground, and made bad in-game decisions from what I saw in the documentary. As near as I can tell, all he brings to the table is "fast", unless he has made tremendous strides at QB recently.

And yet, isn't going to be really weird if by some longshot he wins the QB competition over a preseason Heisman candidate and elite 11 winner?

It just seems crazy to me to 1) lose your top two RBs pre-season and 2) bring in a really good group of WRs, and then decide that we're going to rely on the guy who is the least threat throwing the ball. We don't have a Tre Mason right now, and the chances that JFIII is actually as good of a runner / zone read QB as Nick was is slim, IMHO, simply because NM was so gifted at both. If it were me (and I admit it would be my first football team decision ever), I would try to create more of a pass presence with White and the WRs to hopefully make running a big easier. 

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

No skin off my nose but before you judge too harshly.... I've been on this forum long enough, "we" see a lot of trolls who create accounts just to drop unsubstantiated bombs upon the forum, or start off "friendly" and then when they get their post count high enough to create threads they turn out to be bammers, etc.

So when you drop info with no history of posting on this site before, and don't cite a source, people are skeptical.

As for the font statement..he was just being funny.  I thought it was funny....didn't you?

Don't take it too hard.  Just come with a good take and if you're legit...everybody will warm up to you.

War Eagle!

seems I've been judged...I don't get on forums often...just tried to clear a little smoke and my font is criticized...are you kidding me? Don't care about post counts nor threads and players don't want to be cited... BTW, 1913-14 are in reference to two of Auburns greatest seasons...WDE

24 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The saddest thing to me about this 39 page conversation is how little JJ is mentioned and I guess the odds must not be more than 1% that he will start against Clemson...and only slightly higher that he will play any meaningful time?   :dunno:

The guy has all the physical tools....if you designed a QB he would look like JJ....the arm, the physical size, better than average foot speed and a HS record that was probably as good as any player we've recruited.....plus he is in his 4th season.  

And yet, he is rarely mentioned in the discussions except to re-discuss the problems he had last year..... which perhaps still plague him but I'm not sure we know that.    I do wonder what is going on in his mind.....approaching his final year, apparently he has been  given up on by most AU people...and maybe his coaches too..... yet staying at AU rather than moving along to some lower category school like some of his former team mates. 

He's worked his butt off in the heat and humidity and far as we know he is still eager to play.....at least I'm hoping that is the case because no matter how things look with SW and JF3, the time might come when JJ is the guy needed to make an important play and I hope he is ready. ...and I think he will be.

Maybe so. Mentally though, showed last year he has been broken. Tiger Woods has all the physical tools too, but his mind is broken, and now he is a non-factor

15 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

seems I've been judged...I don't get on forums often...just tried to clear a little smoke and my font is criticized...are you kidding me? Don't care about post counts nor threads and players don't want to be cited... BTW, 1913-14 are in reference to two of Auburns greatest seasons...WDE

Little before my time but nice references.  Good for you!

I hope to get more insights from you as the year goes on but friend....you gotta have a thicker skin than that.  Heck, have you SEEN the back and forths just on THIS thread??

I shudder to think what would happen to your feelings if you said something REALLY controversial.

Good luck to ya' and War Eagle!

I just thought this was a football forum...not a font forum(done for emphasis)...hee hee

Just now, 1913-14 said:

I just thought this was a football forum...not a font forum(done for emphasis)...hee hee

There ya go bud, that's much easier to read.WDE

16 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Why is this the second time I've seen this today

I'm sorry, but that clip of jf3 is not reassuring in the least.  Yes he launched it out there, but good Lord, go back and watch his lower half.  He is basically doing what looks like a jump pass.  He looked similar on his A-day TD pass.  Passes like that will get picked off more often or not.  His lower end mechanics may have been fixed, but from the videos we have, they are really bad. Really BAD.

1:30 Mark is the pass I'm referring to.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Next time you see a HIGHLIGHT film of a QB that shows his inaccurate passes, let me know. 

Rewatching the 2013 iron bowl, it's crazy how comfortable NM got in that offense. He was running laps around the Alabama D (maybe he just knew the secret, I guess he did the same in 14). Every read he made, whether it was a handoff or a keep or a screen pass, was perfect. On his keeps, he would just spread out their defense until he found his gap.

makes me really want jf3 to win to have that dynamic crazy speed factor.

also watched the sec network preview on auburn tonight. They picked us going either 5-7 or 6-6, my recording cut out before their last pick. Either way, that should piss this team off. Alabama, Clemson, Arkansas a d lsu were automatic L's as far as they were concerned. 

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm sorry, but that clip of jf3 is not reassuring in the least.  Yes he launched it out there, but good Lord, go back and watch his lower half.  He is basically doing what looks like a jump pass.  He looked similar on his A-day TD pass.  Passes like that will get picked off more often or not.  His lower end mechanics may have been fixed, but from the videos we have, they are really bad. Really BAD.

I agree. He doesnt look like someone that just needs a tweak here or there. I have a really hard time believing he can be an every down SEC QB, not this season anyway. Wouldnt mind being wrong about it, but I doubt it.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not to mention it was into double coverage and our secondary completely misplayed it. Should have been a pick.  Actually looks like Franklin's head is turned 180° just after he lets it go. Just heaved it up for grabs.

I mean, I would say these things, but it might upset some of our fan base, so I won't.   ;)

12 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Not to mention it was into double coverage and our secondary completely misplayed it. Should have been a pick.  Actually looks like Franklin's head is turned 180° just after he lets it go. Just heaved it up for grabs.

I mean, I would say these things, but it might upset some of our fan base, so I won't.   ;)

You just did? How old are you? 5?

Archived