Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

The first pick white threw he chased the safety to the endzone without a limp. He may have still been hurting but end of the year everybody has some type of injury. 

His second int was as bad as jj int's. There were literally five defenders in that area.  It's ok, he just had a bad game. It happens it's ok to say that....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

You can't compare one QBs injury to the other.

Of course. I almost typed that into that post.

The problem I have with many opinions on this board is his injury caused him to have a poor Bowl game when both INTs were a result of poor decisions and the official Auburn website announced "Sean White's knee and foot are good to go."

6 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

What game did he injure his foot?

His foot was injured in the middle of the Ole Miss game.

6 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Bowl game:

"Sean White's knee and foot are good to go."

Yea... because he was totally going to say "Our starting quarterback is still injured".

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

The problem I have with many opinions on this board is his injury caused him to have a poor Bowl game when both INTs were a result of poor decisions and the official Auburn website announced "Sean White's knee and foot are good to go."

So you don't think the rest of his performance in the bowl game besides the 2 INTs was sub par for him?  I sure do.  And that is what I and everyone else have been attributing to the injury, not the INTs, which several of us have agreed were just bad decisions.

Whatever...

You win Viper.  Sean is a horrible quarterback who should never see the field again. Whoa to Auburn if they even think of letting him play or we won't win a single game in 2016. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The first pick white threw he chased the safety to the endzone without a limp. He may have still been hurting but end of the year everybody has some type of injury. 

His second int was as bad as jj int's. There were literally five defenders in that area.  It's ok, he just had a bad game. It happens it's ok to say that....

The first INT was a 7-yard direct throw to a Safety because he unloaded it instead of taking a sack.

The 2nd INT was a lob on a wheel route, not identifying the CB covering the slot WR.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

His foot was injured in the middle of the Ole Miss game.

Yea... because he was totally going to say "Our starting quarterback is still injured".

You win Viper.  Sean is a horrible quarterback who should never see the field again. Whoa to Auburn if they even think of letting him play or we won't win a single game in 2016. 

Yeah because that is exactly what he said. He said SW is a terrible QB..SMH

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Never said that.

Said " The problem I have with many opinions on this board is his injury caused him to have a poor Bowl game when both INTs were a result of poor decisions "

FWIW - It's "Woe"

I am an admitted SW fanboy, but if JF3 can be consistent enough to give us even a modicum of success in this clip I am all for him taking the reigns.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So you don't think the rest of his performance in the bowl game besides the 2 INTs was sub par for him?  I sure do.  And that is what I and everyone else have been attributing to the injury, not the INTs, which several of us have agreed were just bad decisions.

Whatever...

As DAG pointed out earlier, he made 61.5% of his throws in the Bowl game. He was 58% for the season, so he fared a little better in the Bowl game, another reason I'm not buying the injury excuse.

What I am buying is he threw 1 TD and 4 INTs for the season, which explains why he.....

...made horrible decisions on two throws in the Bowl game, one of them a pick six, that believe it or not, can cost a close game.

"Whatever"?

Whatever his decision-making problem is, he needs to fix it, before we end up with another .500 regular season...or worse.

56 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I suspect JF3 has already been working his package. 

Careful with the wording...

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I am an admitted SW fanboy, but if JF3 can be consistent enough to give us even a modicum of success in this clip I am all for him taking the reigns.

With his speed, at the very least he needs to be hitting at a high percentage the short passes. That will open up the bombs down the field. 

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

With his speed, at the very least he needs to be hitting at a high percentage the short passes. That will open up the bombs down the field. 

I think the concern is not always turning straight to his feet and keeping his eyes down the field. Just in that clip I didn't see him read through any progressions to find an open man... maybe the offense was 1 option and then run. I am not sure

12 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I think the concern is not always turning straight to his feet and keeping his eyes down the field. Just in that clip I didn't see him read through any progressions to find an open man... maybe the offense was 1 option and then run. I am not sure

He got some work to do, but he is still in it because has a skill set that can't be taught.

So consensus is SW has a weak arm, lead feet, and makes poor decisions.  Why have our coaches told him he has a chance to be the starting QB?  In his best interest they should have cut him loose in the spring so he could tear it up at a JUCO this fall then go somewhere next fall that would be a better fit for his skill set.

4 minutes ago, autan said:

So consensus is SW has a weak arm, lead feet, and makes poor decisions.  Why have our coaches told him he has a chance to be the starting QB?  In his best interest they should have cut him loose in the spring so he could tear it up at a JUCO this fall then go somewhere next fall that would be a better fit for his skill set.

What are you talking about?

54 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

That's some good film.  From the way people talk about his time in JuCo, you wouldn't think he would have enough minutes for a reel that long. 

I do see one of the things that may be keeping Gus from giving him the nod.  The way he carries the football when he's running is a forced fumble waiting to happen. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

100% agree. He made some plays that were as bad or worse than Jeremy but it seems he gets more benefit of the doubt. Maybe because JJ was more hyped but still...we should judge them equally. The numbers say that JJ was the better QB last year. I don't have a horse in the race just want the best man to play and win for Auburn

10 minutes ago, autan said:

Despite the page count, I think that where we're still at is:

“As of Saturday, Malzahn said it was "too good a competition" to name a starter as of yet”

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/when_has_gus_malzahn_auburn_na.html

I like SW more than the next, but I think Franklin can win it if Gus tailors the offense to limit the turnovers. We can win with a dynamic running attack but we have to have the O-line like 2013. We only averaged 173 passing yards that year (61% completion). That was enough to keep everyone honest.

I think its doable.

We also need to remember our defense that year, gave up 420 yards a game. I think we will be much improved. So even if we dont have a Nick Marshall, i think we can kick some ass with some more turnovers from the D, less turnovers from the O, and a decent run game.

2 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

SO NOW THIS SITE IS THE FONT POLICE AND YOU'RE THE CHIEF...I'm shocked you can read with that mentality. Do you correct typos, punctuation, spelling, ad infinitum?I'll put my football background as a player and coach against yours any day. My informed comment about the qb race comes directly from players...I wasn't trying to wildly speculate from video snippets as so many wannabes...I was just sharing what I was told. If it doesn't come to fruition then I'll question them. If it was me I would have a very limited package in the red-zone for JFIII to take advantage of his elusiveness.

I have to disagree.

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

Can't glean much from that other than he's fast, and can heave it up. Sure can't tell what kind of QB he will be. No short or imtermediate throws, not progressions, etc. I'm guessing we will find out soon. Even if not starting against Clemson, he will play a good bit I would think.

5 hours ago, TheStrength said:

While we're all trying to look into the crystal ball, the "coaches mic'd up" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l9LiWUsrs) video shows Jeremy getting reps w/ what appears to be the 1s, running for the 1st (maybe "using his legs more this season"), and receiving praise from CRL for putting together a nice offensive drive.

- JFIII was shown in the video getting praise as well.

- Woody Barrett is shown making a great throw to either Jamel Dean or Eli Stove (who made an equally impressive catch).

- SW is shown doing warmups.

I'm not advocating drawing any conclusions about who is starting solely from 30 seconds of video per player. Just another datapoint that I hadn't seen applied in the 36 pages of this thread.

Man alive that is a great catch by Eli Stove #12!

31 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's some good film.  From the way people talk about his time in JuCo, you wouldn't think he would have enough minutes for a reel that long. 

I do see one of the things that may be keeping Gus from giving him the nod.  The way he carries the football when he's running is a forced fumble waiting to happen. 

Agreed. This has got to be a problem. Hopefully he gets this under control.

And sorry for the double post, ever since the website change, its near impossible for me to double quote.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Man alive that is a great catch by Kyle Davis #12!

*** Eli Stove is #12 correct?

Archived