Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'm sorry, but that clip of jf3 is not reassuring in the least.  Yes he launched it out there, but good Lord, go back and watch his lower half.  He is basically doing what looks like a jump pass.  He looked similar on his A-day TD pass.  Passes like that will get picked off more often or not.  His lower end mechanics may have been fixed, but from the videos we have, they are really bad. Really BAD.

1:30 Mark is the pass I'm referring to.

Yeah he is definitely not a polished passer. He has a lot of work ahead of him. But he could do it. Seems like he really is putting in the overtime.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Not to mention it was into double coverage and our secondary completely misplayed it. Should have been a pick.  Actually looks like Franklin's head is turned 180° just after he lets it go. Just heaved it up for grabs.

I mean, I would say these things, but it might upset some of our fan base, so I won't.   ;)

I have seen him make that same pass before where he throws and turns his body afterwards to avoid contact. It is a bad habit but something a good QB coach should be able to coach out of him. However, he sets he feet nicely (IMO) in the pass just before the 1:30 mark. Questions should be answered whether we can develop QBs this season.

Was Pat Sullivan one of our better quarterbacks?  1969 as a sophomore he threw for 16 touchdowns but also 16 interceptions.  As a matter of fact his three years including his Heisman year he still threw for close to as many interceptions as touchdowns.

Coaches must show confidence with whomever they pick to start, but we as fans must do the same.  In my opinion players feed off of the support and can also go into a shell if they have failures and the fans don't get behind them.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah he is definitely not a polished passer. He has a lot of work ahead of him. But he could do it. Seems like he really is putting in the overtime.

I agree he is really trying. I love his work ethic. I've been told many time that he is a tremendous worker. That's a huge compliment from a coach.

Whether Sean makes faster decisions or JF3 passes better, I just want to win. Either way, I really don't care. 

11 hours ago, Charhair said:

Rewatching the 2013 iron bowl, it's crazy how comfortable NM got in that offense. He was running laps around the Alabama D (maybe he just knew the secret, I guess he did the same in 14). Every read he made, whether it was a handoff or a keep or a screen pass, was perfect. On his keeps, he would just spread out their defense until he found his gap.

makes me really want jf3 to win to have that dynamic crazy speed factor.

also watched the sec network preview on auburn tonight. They picked us going either 5-7 or 6-6, my recording cut out before their last pick. Either way, that should piss this team off. Alabama, Clemson, Arkansas a d lsu were automatic L's as far as they were concerned. 

They ended up picking us to go 6-6.  The host had to pick the final 2 games because McElroy and that other guy couldn't agree about the Georgia game and Texas A&M game.

12 hours ago, AUinfusion said:

Lots of people look good in a small clip. JFIII couldn't take the starting job from a guy who finished JUCO with zero D1 offers (and who was a backup himself to the current Ole Miss QB at that same JUCO). I hope Franklin has a great career here, but he missed open WRs, put the ball on the ground, and made bad in-game decisions from what I saw in the documentary. As near as I can tell, all he brings to the table is "fast", unless he has made tremendous strides at QB recently.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

And yet, isn't going to be really weird if by some longshot he wins the QB competition over a preseason Heisman candidate and elite 11 winner?

Way past weird and into "tragic" if some guy that didn't have the tools to play QB at FSU and didn't have the tools to start at JUCO becomes Auburn's starting QB. My thought when we signed him was that we've acquired a really dangerous kick returner.

17 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

SO NOW THIS SITE IS THE FONT POLICE AND YOU'RE THE CHIEF...I'm shocked you can read with that mentality. Do you correct typos, punctuation, spelling, ad infinitum?I'll put my football background as a player and coach against yours any day. My informed comment about the qb race comes directly from players...I wasn't trying to wildly speculate from video snippets as so many wannabes...I was just sharing what I was told. If it doesn't come to fruition then I'll question them. If it was me I would have a very limited package in the red-zone for JFIII to take advantage of his elusiveness.

That wasn't so hard. Thanks for removing the Comic Sans. No need to yell.

2 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Hoke is saying the same thing as austudnt23 JF3 made a late push for the starting ABOUT spot.

If he's truly making a push and it's not just a deductive process- in other words, if he's rising above the other guys and they're not just sinking below him- then I'll be excited to see what he can do. It's an unlikely story, but this is Auburn. Unlikely stories are what we do. 

I think the coaches are going to select the QB that gives the team the best chance to win.  I know all coaches say that when there is a QB battle going on but the coaches know better what talent each QB.  Now which person that is selected let's go get a BIG win over Clemson.  

14 hours ago, DAG said:

And yet, isn't going to be really weird if by some longshot he wins the QB competition over a preseason Heisman candidate and elite 11 winner?

But... won't that mean that Gus and Rhett are actually REALLY good QB coaches?

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Not necessarily. Maybe he is just settling down. After all, he is a JUCO ;)

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

The saddest thing to me about this 39 page conversation is how little JJ is mentioned and I guess the odds must not be more than 1% that he will start against Clemson...and only slightly higher that he will play any meaningful time?   :dunno:

The guy has all the physical tools....if you designed a QB he would look like JJ....the arm, the physical size, better than average foot speed and a HS record that was probably as good as any player we've recruited.....plus he is in his 4th season.  

And yet, he is rarely mentioned in the discussions except to re-discuss the problems he had last year..... which perhaps still plague him but I'm not sure we know that.    I do wonder what is going on in his mind.....approaching his final year, apparently he has been  given up on by most AU people...and maybe his coaches too..... yet staying at AU rather than moving along to some lower category school like some of his former team mates. 

He's worked his butt off in the heat and humidity and far as we know he is still eager to play.....at least I'm hoping that is the case because no matter how things look with SW and JF3, the time might come when JJ is the guy needed to make an important play and I hope he is ready. ...and I think he will be.

The thing about JJ - if he ISN'T ready mentally this time around and goes out and lays an egg against Clemson, the reaction from the fanbase will be really, really ugly.  "How could you put him out there after what we witnessed last year?"  How do you test that readiness in practice without the 86,000 screaming fans and fans watching your every move on TV? 

Agreed that he DOES appear to have all the physical tools, but the mental aspect is so big in sports.   I have to give speeches in my job.  I know the info backwards and forwards, yet I STILL get nervous and it has impacted my performance in some of those presentations.  The level of nervousness has declined over time with more experience, but it's still there.  With the world watching last year, he laid an egg and then another and another, and it's difficult to shake that lasting memory despite the fact he had some decent performances later in the year.  I'm rooting for the kid as it would be one heckuva comeback story if he did take the reigns and lead this team to some big wins.     

2 hours ago, McFU said:

They ended up picking us to go 6-6.  The host had to pick the final 2 games because McElroy and that other guy couldn't agree about the Georgia game and Texas A&M game.

What do A&M and UGA have that makes them so good this year? Same for Arky? The only three teams I actually think are tough are Clemson, LSU, and Bama. And LSU's OLine is getting worse by the day

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

The saddest thing to me about this 39 page conversation is how little JJ is mentioned and I guess the odds must not be more than 1% that he will start against Clemson...and only slightly higher that he will play any meaningful time?   :dunno:

The guy has all the physical tools....if you designed a QB he would look like JJ....the arm, the physical size, better than average foot speed and a HS record that was probably as good as any player we've recruited.....plus he is in his 4th season.  

And yet, he is rarely mentioned in the discussions except to re-discuss the problems he had last year..... which perhaps still plague him but I'm not sure we know that.    I do wonder what is going on in his mind.....approaching his final year, apparently he has been  given up on by most AU people...and maybe his coaches too..... yet staying at AU rather than moving along to some lower category school like some of his former team mates. 

He's worked his butt off in the heat and humidity and far as we know he is still eager to play.....at least I'm hoping that is the case because no matter how things look with SW and JF3, the time might come when JJ is the guy needed to make an important play and I hope he is ready. ...and I think he will be.

The one and only reason you aren't hearing much about Jeremy is that there is nothing coming out of camp/practice that leads anyone to believe that the coaches are even considering him.  Every bit of insider info points to a battle between Sean and John with Jeremy getting back-up duty.  If someone with access to practice would say "Jeremy has really started showing up these past few practices", or something like that, I would hope there would be some positive chatter here.  You are absolutely right that, of all of our QBs, he has the best measurables.

As far as working his butt off in the heat and humidity, he's vying for the starting job at QB, not to get out of gun and drug charges in Louisiana, so I'm not sure that's relevant :)

Just now, Auhud08 said:

What do A&M and UGA have that makes them so good this year? Same for Arky? The only three teams I actually think are tough are Clemson, LSU, and Bama. And LSU's OLine is getting worse by the day

They aren't Auburn.

If these QB's don't start wearing pants with pads to cover up their knees, AU may be looking to its 4th and 5th options before the season is over.  These QB's are basically running around in shorts out there with no knee protection whatsoever.  The trend seems to be shorter and shorter pants, and I just don't like it.  No sir, I don't. 

"And Sean White takes the field.  Tim, is....is he wearing speedo's?"

"Uh...yes Bob, it does appear he's taking this "shorter pants" trend to a whole new level...."

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

How exactly would this make them really good QB coaches? Could it be that JF3 just earned a starting position against two players that has been in Auburn system for multiple years?

if anything it would really make me question the reasons as to why the QBs we recruited to lead the way were once again outdone by a JUCO qb.

It wouldn't surprise me if somehow Gus could really utilize JF3 athletic ability to scheme around and make this offense lethal, however.

9 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

This is what I was saying. It wasn't even "what can auburn do to win against ark/tamu type team?

it was "no way they beat Arkansas"

"Bama haha that's a no brainier"

"no way auburn can score with Clemson"

13 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

UGA will have Chubb back which will make a huge defense along with their usual stout defense .

we should be able to beat Arkansas and the Aggies.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

UGA will have Chubb back which will make a huge defense along with their usual stout defense .

we should be able to beat Arkansas and the Aggies.

With a true freshman qb. Sure, we are all giving this kid the benefit of the doubt (for the most part) that he'll at least do an okay job...but I don't know. But a true freshman QB under a first year head coach, with a loaded (yet EXTREMLEY injury prone) backfield. They could be in big trouble, real quick.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

How exactly would this make them really good QB coaches? Could it be that JF3 just earned a starting position against two players that has been in Auburn system for multiple years?

if anything it would really make me question the reasons as to why the QBs we recruited to lead the way were once again outdone by a JUCO qb.

It wouldn't surprise me if somehow Gus could really utilize JF3 athletic ability to scheme around and make this offense lethal, however.

Agree. If the guy with the least amount of their coaching wins the job based mostly on his athleticism, then I don't see it as an endorsement of Gus's and Rhett's coaching skills.

I can see where one would see it the other way- if Franklin gets better under their tutelage than he has in all his previous years combined, then they must be good coaches- but really it would only mean that he's gotten his passing and ball security skills up to "adequate for a guy who is electric with the ball in his hands". 

5 minutes ago, Charhair said:

With a true freshman qb. Sure, we are all giving this kid the benefit of the doubt (for the most part) that he'll at least do an okay job...but I don't know. But a true freshman QB under a first year head coach, with a loaded (yet EXTREMLEY injury prone) backfield. They could be in big trouble, real quick.

In the SEC East? I doubt it. I am not even talking about the true freshman QB. The good thing about good running games and tough defenses is that it can make up for youth . Last year, UGA had zero QBs , basically played the wildcat half the time, without Chubb and still won 9 games all due to their defense and lack of QB talent in the east.

i can't imagine they would be worst with Chubb coming back and their defense . If anything on par with last year . 

Archived