Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Come on, that quote from the Clemson DC is bravado talk, which is what we expect from our opponent. Do you expect them to say, we are worried if it will be a DT QB like JF3 or a drop back passer like SW. Or that Clemson must prepare for both which limits us to be solidly prepared. No, he put it back on us...lol.

Nothing should scare you..just know that we really after ALL these threads and posts and back and forth over our QBs, dont know what we have until we see it exexute against Clemson. And what i HOPE...is to see a QB emerge than shows moxie in the face of fire...and still can find a way to move our offense and score in the Redzone...

And yes if we are seemingly unprepared against a potential play off team, especially at the QB position, We will get embarrassed . That should be a great concern with all of our other unknowns .

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, SouthGATiger said:

If it's SW...sure hope they open up the aerial playbook for him. Can't expect him to be Cam or Nick and run the zone read all game. 

I do hope they don't go conservative in the passing game if we have any chance of winning. BUT, SW is not a aerial kind of QB to me. Now JJ is, but we might end up with scoring 3-4 TDs through the air, but throw like 4-5 interceptions in the process too with JJ..lol.

26 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If you were just an unbiased spectator, or if you merely read SW's stat line in the paper from a different QB, I highly doubt you'd consider that a great game. Knowing that three drives stalled in the redzone, two from within the five yard line, I don't know that an argument exists that shows he had a good game without cherry picking the stats.

I agree the OM was not a great game for White. However, I reread my post and don't see where  I stated he had a great game. A  matter of semantics I suppose. Obviously not for you but for me, completing 12 passes for 258 yards against an SEC defense is a 'nice' game. I also seem to recall Auburn had penalties called on offense in two of the drives you mention above. But I don't see your reasoning anyway about the stalled drives being a testament to whether he had a good game or not. Unless he threw interceptions or missed a wide open receiver. I imagine there were plays in the redzone where he was not in the game or his role was merely handing the ball to a tailback on a running play.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

This is what scares me. It seemed just a week ago CRL was prepping us for JF3 to not be ready at QB . Now , Rumors (which can be false) point to JF3 making a run at starting . It seems to me that the coaching staff is exhausting every opportunity to ensure JF3 the opportunity to start. I can be 100 % wrong but that is okay it is just my opinion. I am a little baffled at this moment and I don't really buy into the notion that they are keeping Clemson on their toes. Clemson does not care. Not just my words , their DC said as much in a presser pretty bluntly.

What? Me Worry?

“I could (not) care less. Doesn’t matter one bit to us,” the fifth-year Clemson defensive coordinator said Tuesday, according to The Post and Courier. “It’s not coachspeak. We’re going to do what we do and adjust as it goes. That’s up to them, whether or not they have confidence in their guy.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Clemson-DC-doesnt-care-about-Auburn-QB-battle-46931286

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

What? Me Worry?

“I could (not) care less. Doesn’t matter one bit to us,” the fifth-year Clemson defensive coordinator said Tuesday, according to The Post and Courier. “It’s not coachspeak. We’re going to do what we do and adjust as it goes. That’s up to them, whether or not they have confidence in their guy.”

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Clemson-DC-doesnt-care-about-Auburn-QB-battle-46931286

Yeah I just edited that in my original response haha. That is a straight up challenge .

I definitely take the quote as coach speak.  No matter what he says, he is having to game plan and rep against two very drastically different offenses.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I definitely take the quote as coach speak.  No matter what he says, he is having to game plan and rep against two very drastically different offenses.

Even though he said it is not coach speak ? Lol. Of course he has to game plan for two people , that is what he gets paid to do . But to think we have some strategic edge because he has to do so is nonsense . They don't care who we trot out there and quite frankly if we are being honest why should they ? None of our QBs have proved enough to warrant that respect . We got to prove it .

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Even though he said it is not coach speak ? Lol. Of course he has to game plan for two people , that is what he gets paid to do . But to think we have some strategic edge because he has to do so is nonsense . They don't care who we trot out there and quite frankly if we are being honest why should they ? None of our QBs have proved enough to warrant that respect . We got to prove it .

No, they don't care, but if you are having to rep against a zone/read and a passing O, your aren't maximizing practice reps. That is an advantage. Anytime you have to split reps or add different scripts it takes away from maximum potential. That's why balanced trams are so much harder to defend and game plan against.

It would mostly affect the DEs and LB.

I don't think it's coach speak. I don't think he cares. Either way it's no reason for him to be concerned about the our qb. Plan will be to get either one to make decisions. Put the ball in their hand. If I was playing at corner I'm looking to have a field day because there isn't any film out that would scare me at all. 

Maybe our game plan should be to run JJ and pass with JF.

Clemson won't be prepared for that. My heart won't be either....

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I just edited that in my original response haha. That is a straight up challenge .

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No, they don't care, but if you are having to rep against a zone/read and a passing O, your aren't maximizing practice reps. That is an advantage. Anytime you have to split reps or add different scripts it takes away from maximum potential. That's why balanced trams are so much harder to defend and game plan against.

It would mostly affect the DEs and LB.

I agree with that notion. However, I personally think that they are going to take away the running option no matter who the QB is. I truly believe they are going to stack box, play press man outside and dare us to beat them by passing. I guess we will find out.

Just now, WDavE said:

Maybe our game plan should be to run JJ and pass with JF.

Clemson won't be prepared for that. My heart won't be either....

We should also start Gray King at left tackle. They won't know what hit 'em!

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with that notion. However, I personally think that they are going to take away the running option no matter who the QB is. I truly believe they are going to stack box, play press man outside and dare us to beat them by passing. I guess we will find out.

I agree they will stack the box. I believe every team will do it. Well, until we can prove we can pass consistently when we need to. That, to me, is the most necessary thing we need from our QB. 

I wouldn't press them. I would play catch man or bump and run and try to disrupt our unproven/inexperienced receivers.  I would also mix in cover 3 (I hate cover 3) because Gus' routes hardly ever attack underneath zones.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I agree they will stack the box. I believe every team will do it. Well, until we can prove we can pass consistently when we need to. That, to me, is the most necessary thing we need from our QB. 

I wouldn't press them. I would play bump and run and try to disrupt our unproven/inexperienced receivers. 

I agree which is why if JF3 does start, it is impeccable that he makes all the easy throws and takes what the defense gives him. That is what made NM so good. He wasn't always on target , for example, the first big pass against Bama in "13, but you still had to respect or risk giving up a big play.

Edit: quite honestly, I need to say this about all of our QBs.

2 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Well I agree that is a poor completion rate. 

But let's also take into consideration the 21.5 yard per completion average. Or do you choose want to continue to carp on the negative part of his game without including positive aspects.

He got his only TD of the season. Also threw an INT.

It wasn't a nice game.

But by all means, continue to search for that silver lining in the haystack.

What in the heck is taking him so long to name a guy? What could any of these guys possibly do in the next 9 days to earn the starting nod? It's gotta be mentally demanding on the three QB's to have to keep going with no closer. Perhaps that's why Gus is waiting. 

There is a very good chance that Gus already knows who he will pick and isn't announcing for the strategy of it. I believe that is how Gus thinks. There is no use in getting into all the back and forth except for discussion purposes only. Some just need to find something to obsess on until opening day. Don't allow yourself to get caught up in the emotion of somebody's frustration about not knowing what they want to know when they want to know it. JMHO :dunno: 

Put all 3 QBs on the field for the first snap. Put JJ out wide. Have SW lined up in the gun. Bring JF3 in motion from the slot on the opposite side of JJ. Give it to him on the sweep, and have him pitch it back to JJ who finds Nate Craig-Meyers deep down the middle of the field for his first college catch for 40 yards.

:bananadance::bananadance: 

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What in the heck is taking him so long to name a guy? What could any of these guys possibly do in the next 9 days to earn the starting nod? It's gotta be mentally demanding on the three QB's to have to keep going with no closer. Perhaps that's why Gus is waiting. 

I know exactly why Gus is waiting.

Somebody on campus told my cousin's girlfriend's mom's brother, who then told my other cousin, who then told my brother, who then told me that Gus is rumored to be a Big Big fan of the AU Family forums and he's waiting until this thread reaches 51 pages to name his starter.

However, reportedly, he's disappointed at the lack of effort of the posters on this thread because if they REALLY meant it there would be a lot of "+1" or "This" or Stupid Jokes or Memes posts to get us to 51 pages Auburn Fast.

That's what I heard anyway...

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I know exactly why Gus is waiting.

Somebody on campus told my cousin's girlfriend's mom's brother, who then told my other cousin, who then told my brother, who then told me that Gus is rumored to be a Big Big fan of the AU Family forums and he's waiting until this thread reaches 51 pages to name his starter.

However, reportedly, he's disappointed at the lack of effort of the posters on this thread because if they REALLY meant it there would be a lot of "+1" or "This" or Stupid Jokes or Memes posts to get us to 51 pages Auburn Fast.

That's what I heard anyway...

Image result for I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

8 pages and counting

It's amazing that it's gotten this far and nobody's suggested that Gus may be sandbagging, or that Jeremy might actually be the guy, or that JFIII "just" needs to be better at everything that a quarterback does other than run a ball, or that Sean is slow, or that Rhett might be a good QB coach, or that Rhett might not be a good QB coach, or that our quarterbacks threw interceptions last year, or that it would be good if they threw very few interceptions this year but bad if they threw very many interceptions this year, or that Gus is probably going to choose the guy who gives us the best chance of winning, i.e. the head football coach in charge of winning football games wants the best football players to play in the football games, or that some teams on our schedule last year were better than others, or that it's usually not best to start a true freshman at quarterback, or that an offense's run game might also affect the passing game, or that Sean got injured last season...

Like, it's crazy that none of that stuff has come up. You'd think it all would have come up like dozens of times and that almost every one of those things would've been discussed in the first 5 pages of the thread. 

Sincerely,
Part of the Problem

4 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

There is a very good chance that Gus already knows who he will pick and isn't announcing for the strategy of it. I believe that is how Gus thinks.

I don't believe that. If anything, HCs want to name a starter as early as possible to provide cohesion, but most importantly, reps for the starter.

Gus has proven since 2009 naming Todd by mid-August that he prefers ASAP too. No one is clear-cut this time.

I truly believe all 3 will play with White & Franklin getting the most snaps, even if a starter is named between now and gametime.

Then it will be a "feel-out" process during the game for Gus to see who makes the offense click better.

Archived