Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

This discussion is not long enough if we are at 35 pages and nobody has talked about how excellent it could be if JF3 cultivated a HUGE part of Nick Marshall's 2013 success repertoire: unbelievable, defense freezing play action fakes (which defenses seemed more prepared for against Nick in 2014). A defense that does not respect a QB's arm might be more likely to sell out on the play action fake plus, IF the D does NOT buy the fake, a mobile QB can escape a huge yardage loss. Not saying our coaches have not thought of this, just an interesting thought to spy on when JF3 gets in the game.

Okay carry on with the twinkie vs cupcake comparisons...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

This discussion is not long enough if we are at 35 pages and nobody has talked about how excellent it could be if JF3 cultivated a HUGE part of Nick Marshall's 2013 success repertoire: unbelievable, defense freezing play action fakes (which defenses seemed more prepared for against Nick in 2014). A defense that does not respect a QB's arm might be more likely to sell out on the play action fake plus, IF the D does NOT buy the fake, a mobile QB can escape a huge yardage loss. Not saying our coaches have not thought of this, just an interesting thought to spy on when JF3 gets in the game.

Okay carry on with the twinkie vs cupcake comparisons...

That's been discussed. :dunno:

My thoughts, TIFWIW, which ain't very much.

The folks who are downing a 2QB system think of it in terms of the old Steve Spurrier method of running the exact same offense, but pulling guys when they do something you don't like. This method can negatively affect any momentum of the offense, and even worse significantly impact the QBs confidence.  

I do think that a "2QB system" is going to be our best bet an potent offense this year.  If the light comes on for JJ he would likely be our best QB overall, but even in that case he doesn't have anywhere near the mobility of JF3.  SW doesn't have the ability to ever be an explosive runner, but he can develop into a really good, accurate passer.  JF3's passing can improve and he could develop into a decent passer, but he will never be Peyton Manning.  However, his speed and athleticism are off the charts.  If he focuses on the timing of exchanges and the quick decisions that come with the QB Triple Read Option, he could run that to perfection.

If we run a QB Triple RO type O with JF3, very similar to the 2013&14 O with Marshall, and we run it 70-80% of the time with him in the game, and then have SW or JJ come in and run a PA Pass O with similar formations and motions, but has more complex routes and we run it 50-60% of the time when he is in the game I think we can have an explosive O that is fluid, yet confusing for the opposing D.

The blocking schemes would be very similar, the handoff exchanges would be very similar, and adding more routes for the receivers would not be much of a stretch in this O (the routes are few and basic). So it's not like the other 10 players on the field would have to learn 2 completely different offenses.  However, the way that it looks to the D would be very different.  Blitzing, pass coverages, and run assignments would look considerably different.  So the defenses would have to adjust a lot more.  In order to maximize effectiveness, JF3 would have to do the PA Pass elements enough to keep the D honest, and JJ or SW would have to run the QBTRO enough to keep the D honest.    

This type of 2QB system can maximize the effectiveness of the offense and only experience minor issues that typically accompany a 2QB system.

Your thoughts?

41 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

23, heard jay tate speak on Cube show this morning- he said JFIII hasnt thrown well. What have you seen or what has Jay seen for yall to have completely opposite opinions? Honest question, not doubting anyone but its curious to see two different reports of JFIII

I have seen him a few times this summer. He is by no means a polished passer, but like I have said he has made improvements since the spring. I am not saying JF3 is about to light the world up throwing the football. I am saying that from what I have seen he can get the job done in this offense with what will be required of him throwing the ball. NM was far from a polished passer or even a good passer his first fall. I saw NM practice a few times leading up to the opener vs Washington State and I had serious concerns about him being able to throw the ball. As long as JF3 can continue to improve throughout the year as NM did in 2013 he will do well in this offense. The problem is that we start with Clemson and have 3 big games in the 1st month of the season. NM had Washington State, Arky State, Miss State, LSU then a by week to start the year where as JF3 would start with Clemson, Arky State, A&M and LSU. This imo is the only reason we could see SW starting vs Clemson is the experience factor and the fact that he has started in a big game environment before. That is not a knock on SW either it is just imo JF3 has a much higher ceiling with what he can do in the offense than SW. We need JF3 to be able to throw the deep ball and have around 150 yards a game through the air to have a very good offense imo. I have said before I am no scout, but I think JF3 is capable of leading us to a big year. The only info I can give is that the coaches wanted JF3 to win the job because of them believing if he plays up to his potential the offense will be special with him at the helm. 

Gus has never shown the coaching accume to want to play to weaknesses of players to setup others.  However he's never needed to.  

If you are expecting a QB to come out and be a game changer I don't think we are setting up to be that this year.  If your expectation is Playoffs or bust then you might be disappointed.  I do think we can win our share and can win any game we play.  Will that happen?  I doubt it but I expect an improvement in QB play but improvement needs to be made at many offensive positions.

14 hours ago, 75 Walk On said:

Guys I have six children and all should come out the same way if we raised them the same; but that's not reality.  They all learn differently, respond to criticism and pressure differently.

i say this after reading so many posts to offer my opinion.  Coach Malzahn has forgotten more football than anyone on this site ever knew most likely.

he knows how to develop talent just as most major college coaches do; but those who are successful in this business are consistent with recruiting, and surround themselves with coaches that buy into their process.

i think Gus realized this last year and made changes including his own involvement.  Great things are ahead of us!

Somebody has been busy

What does it matter who throws well? All we do is bubble screens and Hail Marys anyway. If JF3 is struggling with that, he might as well move to scat back. Lol

16 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I have seen him a few times this summer. He is by no means a polished passer, but like I have said he has made improvements since the spring. I am not saying JF3 is about to light the world up throwing the football. I am saying that from what I have seen he can get the job done in this offense with what will be required of him throwing the ball. NM was far from a polished passer or even a good passer his first fall. I saw NM practice a few times leading up to the opener vs Washington State and I had serious concerns about him being able to throw the ball. As long as JF3 can continue to improve throughout the year as NM did in 2013 he will do well in this offense. The problem is that we start with Clemson and have 3 big games in the 1st month of the season. NM had Washington State, Arky State, Miss State, LSU then a by week to start the year where as JF3 would start with Clemson, Arky State, A&M and LSU. This imo is the only reason we could see SW starting vs Clemson is the experience factor and the fact that he has started in a big game environment before. That is not a knock on SW either it is just imo JF3 has a much higher ceiling with what he can do in the offense than SW. We need JF3 to be able to throw the deep ball and have around 150 yards a game through the air to have a very good offense imo. I have said before I am no scout, but I think JF3 is capable of leading us to a big year. The only info I can give is that the coaches wanted JF3 to win the job because of them believing if he plays up to his potential the offense will be special with him at the helm. 

Agree 100%. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

15 more pages........come on

This should help.  Disclaimer; meant for levity only.

The first 17 seconds is how the "talking heads" and some Auburn fans believe the athleticism and swagger of the QB candidate will win the starting position.

The last 3 seconds, if SW is named the starter, represents the "rigid rod of reality".

43 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What does it matter who throws well? All we do is bubble screens and Hail Marys anyway. If JF3 is struggling with that, he might as well move to scat back. Lol

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Remember after the Washington State game, how the Wash St QB said "if we had a QB we could be a good team".

23 is right that the coaches wanted JF3 to win the job. They think his ceiling is higher and the O can be more dynamic. However, he has not improved as much as they had hoped for with regards to ball security and his passing.

This O can be potent with SW if Gus opens up the passing game like he should and Sean improves his reaction/decision time. Just as it could be potent with JF3 if he could drastically improve his passing. JMO

It should come down to 2 today according to Jay Tate on cube show this am.  Game week prep really cranks up today per that convo.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Thanks for the response- good to see that perspective of NM at this point and JFIII at this point

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

23 is right that the coaches wanted JF3 to win the job. They think his ceiling is higher and the O can be more dynamic. However, he has not improved as much as they had hoped for with regards to ball security and his passing.

This O can be potent with SW if Gus opens up the passing game like he should and Sean improves his reaction/decision time. Just as it could be potent with JF3 if he could drastically improve his passing. JMO

I can see that....after all they picked Cam and Nick out of Juco and did great with them....so maybe they figure that is the formula...

Random thought: I'd love to know what the thought process was with Jason Smith. Was a move back to QB considered? Was it offered and declined? Has he entrenched and himself and does he- wisely, probably- see his future at WR? 

The race was practically already over when he got his brief opportunity last year. What would have happened if he'd made it here one year later? Would he be the guy with "the higher ceiling"?

Hopefully there's nothing controversial or too thread-jacky about this. Mods, feel free to zap it if appropriate. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Random thought: I'd love to know what the thought process was with Jason Smith. Was a move back to QB considered? Was it offered and declined? Has he entrenched and himself and does he- wisely, probably- see his future at WR? 

The race was practically already over when he got his brief opportunity last year. What would have happened if he'd made it here one year later? Would he be the guy with "the higher ceiling"?

Hopefully there's nothing controversial or too thread-jacky about this. Mods, feel free to zap it if appropriate. 

One thing I know about Smith is he committed the worst possible sin last year.  He was given one opportunity to pass and threw an interception.  The last thing you wanted to do in 2015 was throw an interception because that was Gus's hot button last year.  

I also think Smith has entrenched himself as one of our more reliable receivers, though that may change if any of the freshman 5 really come on strong and he hasn't upped his game. 

I think we are emphasizing the wrong thing here. Lots of "Can JF3 be like Nick Marshall for us?" rather than "Can Golson and Cox be like Greg Robinson and Prosch for us?" Prosch/G-Rob were the true keys to that 2013 offense IMO. Even Nick Marshall wasn't as productive on the ground once they left us.

15 hours ago, 1913-14 said:

SEAN WHITE...JJ IS BACK UP AND JFIII NOT IN ROTATION...JUST SAYIN'

Comic Sans? Credibility is gone faster than I can read what you wrote.

While we're all trying to look into the crystal ball, the "coaches mic'd up" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l9LiWUsrs) video shows Jeremy getting reps w/ what appears to be the 1s, running for the 1st (maybe "using his legs more this season"), and receiving praise from CRL for putting together a nice offensive drive.

- JFIII was shown in the video getting praise as well.

- Woody Barrett is shown making a great throw to either Jamel Dean or Eli Stove (who made an equally impressive catch).

- SW is shown doing warmups.

I'm not advocating drawing any conclusions about who is starting solely from 30 seconds of video per player. Just another datapoint that I hadn't seen applied in the 36 pages of this thread.

Just now, Harp_AU2013 said:

If they believe JJ has figured out the stuff in his head does he get it?

Definitely.  But if that were the case, I don't know that there would even be a competition.  Of course, the competition could be a smoke screen or a competition for #2.

Archived