Naming a Starting QB at Auburn

RunInRed

1 minute ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

If they believe JJ has figured out the stuff in his head does he get it?

I can't see how he doesn't. His ceiling is higher than the other 2 for sure. A Jeremy at his best is a very good QB. I don't think that is the case, though, or he would have already won the job. With that being said, I still think that he is the safest bet against Clemson, based on experience.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I can't see how he doesn't. His ceiling is higher than the other 2 for sure. A Jeremy at his best is a very good QB. I don't think that is the case, though, or he would have already won the job. With that being said, I still think that he is the safest bet against Clemson, based on experience.

Based on what happened last year, I would think that if they thought JJ wasn't capable, they would have been giving JFIII and SW all the reps and not letting him in. I mean they said he was a practice all star last year so it wouldn't benefit them to see him in practice again.. All the reports are saying JFIII and SW which makes me believe that its JJ. 

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A 4 QB system has failed less often than a 2 QB system

never heard of a 4 QB system.  If all 4 QBs are excellent, then we have a dilemma of sorts.  It would be funny if Gus did this, and we beat the crap out of Clemson. I know this will never happen. I just like to bring a bit of humor to the table to get everyone off of their negative take on this situation.  I think we will be fine this season, I honestly do. It is time to drop a MOAB full of positive vibes on the team and all of naysayers or whatever you call them.

1 hour ago, TheStrength said:

While we're all trying to look into the crystal ball, the "coaches mic'd up" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l9LiWUsrs) video shows Jeremy getting reps w/ what appears to be the 1s, running for the 1st (maybe "using his legs more this season"), and receiving praise from CRL for putting together a nice offensive drive.

- JFIII was shown in the video getting praise as well.

- Woody Barrett is shown making a great throw to either Jamel Dean or Eli Stove (who made an equally impressive catch).

- SW is shown doing warmups.

I'm not advocating drawing any conclusions about who is starting solely from 30 seconds of video per player. Just another datapoint that I hadn't seen applied in the 36 pages of this thread.

1. Woody didn't throw that ball, it was Devin Adams

2. Eli Stove made the catch. Jamel Dean is a DB who is out indefinitely with a knee injury

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Definitely.  But if that were the case, I don't know that there would even be a competition.  Of course, the competition could be a smoke screen or a competition for #2.

I've wondered if part of the ongoing competition may be due to Gus crowning JJ as the starter very early last year (earlier than he had ever named a starter at Auburn before), and wanting to avoid some issues that came along with that, like the hype potentially getting to Jeremy and, at lest mentally for the backups it would be difficult to *really* feel like you need to be game-ready when the starter is already the 2015 Heisman short-list (esp since the backups were young guys).

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

1. Woody didn't throw that ball, it was Devin Adams

Yep, I was thinking "the QB that isn't JFIII, JJ, SW", and didn't cross reference the number.

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Shhhhh... you're not supposed to reveal the secret identity of our starting QB.

Gus' best-kept secret of all.

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

It's been stated on here by some, that Gus goes ultra-conservative in games because of something that burns them, so perhaps he's handling "information" the same way this year.  I realize that he's ALWAYS tight with certain types of info.  But this preseason, it does seem like the AU practice facility is a CIA Black Site.

Just a thought....

Yeah, Auburn renamed their practice facilities this week to "Area 51".  Since fall camp ended, has the media been allowed to view any part of practice since?

23 hours ago, DAG said:

0 Tds, 2 interceptions, 103 yards. 61.5 % Completion percentage. Got to love half stories.

not calling you out, BTW. Glad you posted the other side.

Hope there's more to the rest of that story. Jeff Klein thinks that sux.

22 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes... that is what Sean needs to work on more than anything else... making good decisions quickly.  His accuracy is up there with some of the top QBs.  He can read a defense and use his progressions.  He's poised under pressure... but his brain doesn't process fast enough, yet (or at least it didn't last year). He still needs to the game to slow down for him more, which isn't overly uncommon for a red shirt freshman. 

That being said, his accuracy and zip in the bowl game was still not as good as it had been because of his injury.  

There was zero chance for him to zip either of those INTs in for completions. Both INTs, the defender had perfect coverage. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady couldn't have done it.

They were horrible decisions to let the ball go, that had nothing to do with an injury.

My guess is it will be JJ but they want to put the pressure on him to make sure there is no repeat of last year. Also want to be sure that a backup is ready. I suspect JF3 has already been working his package. Also need to keep SW on the team so they are assuring him JJ will have a short string.JMO  WDE

3 hours ago, Charleston Tiger said:

Comic Sans? Credibility is gone faster than I can read what you wrote.

SO NOW THIS SITE IS THE FONT POLICE AND YOU'RE THE CHIEF...I'm shocked you can read with that mentality. Do you correct typos, punctuation, spelling, ad infinitum?I'll put my football background as a player and coach against yours any day. My informed comment about the qb race comes directly from players...I wasn't trying to wildly speculate from video snippets as so many wannabes...I was just sharing what I was told. If it doesn't come to fruition then I'll question them. If it was me I would have a very limited package in the red-zone for JFIII to take advantage of his elusiveness.

7 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

There was zero chance for him to zip either of those INTs in for completions. Both INTs, the defender had perfect coverage. Peyton Manning or Tom Brady couldn't have done it.

They were horrible decisions to let the ball go, that had nothing to do with an injury.

Funny how I never even implied that... 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Funny how I never even implied that... 

"That being said, his accuracy and zip in the bowl game was still not as good as it had been because of his injury."

7 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

SO NOW THIS SITE IS THE FONT POLICE AND YOU'RE THE CHIEF...I'm shocked you can read with that mentality. Do you correct typos, punctuation, spelling, ad infinitum?I'll put my football background as a player and coach against yours any day. My informed comment about the qb race comes directly from players...I wasn't trying to wildly speculate from video snippets as so many wannabes...I was just sharing what I was told. If it doesn't come to fruition then I'll question them. If it was me I would have a very limited package in the red-zone for JFIII to take advantage of his elusiveness.

You may very well be right. But you still used comic sans. The Natty Light of fonts.

:poke: ;D

9 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

No skin off my nose but before you judge too harshly.... I've been on this forum long enough, "we" see a lot of trolls who create accounts just to drop unsubstantiated bombs upon the forum, or start off "friendly" and then when they get their post count high enough to create threads they turn out to be bammers, etc.

So when you drop info with no history of posting on this site before, and don't cite a source, people are skeptical.

As for the font statement..he was just being funny.  I thought it was funny....didn't you?

Don't take it too hard.  Just come with a good take and if you're legit...everybody will warm up to you.

War Eagle!

I recall Nick Marshall injuring his knee against Ole Miss in 2013.

Funny how it never affected his accuracy or zip or footing or leg plant or anything next time he played, which was 14 days later in College Station.

Yet White's injury easily lingered into the Bowl game and most certainly affected his accuracy, zip, footing, leg plant and all variations thereof according to the majority of this board.

When will the guy ever heal?

The guy's like "Cowboy" Bob Orton, donning the arm cast half his career...

http://www.kayfabenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/bob_orton_cast.jpg

4 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Funny how it never affected his accuracy or zip or footing or leg plant or anything next time he played, which was 14 days later in College Station.

Yet White's injury easily lingered into the Bowl game and most certainly affected his accuracy, zip, footing, leg plant and all variations thereof according to the majority of this board.

It was actually the foot injury that prevented him from planting that was the issue. He played the first half of the Ole Miss game with the knee injury and was fine.  

20 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Wow... lighten up Francis.  You can't have spent much time on the net if this is your first experience with people poking fun at Comic Sans.  Believe me, as a creative professional, if I were to use it, I'd NEVER live it down.

23 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

Don't let the crazy morons bring you down. Please keep posting!

16 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

When will the guy ever heal?

The guy's like "Cowboy" Bob Orton, donning the arm cast half his career...

http://www.kayfabenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/bob_orton_cast.jpg

You can't compare one QBs injury to the other. We never knew the actual extent of their injury, and if you watched Marshall run 2 weeks later, he looked fine, but when White tried to run after he came back, everyone could tell he was limping and couldnt function the same way. Injuries affect players differently. 

Now if you just have a problem with White as QB injured or not, that is a different story...

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It was actually the foot injury that prevented him from planting that was the issue. He played the first half of the Ole Miss game with the knee injury and was fine.  

What game did he injure his foot?

Bowl game:

"Sean White's knee and foot are good to go."

Archived