Starting Clemson DE Hurt

Plaric

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Expect Chandler Cox to do some pretty good things this year.  Surprisingly no one is talking about him.

I'll talk about him with ya. Totally agree. Reminds me of Eric Smith, maybe better hands. Reminds me of Peyton Hillis a little, too. Hoping he'll be a bright spot if the QB can just get the ball to him.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If they do have to Blitz because of this I hope we have added the TE to pass when teams blitz as that is one of the best ways to beat the blitz.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I'll talk about him with ya. Totally agree. Reminds me of Eric Smith, maybe better hands. Reminds me of Peyton Hillis a little, too. Hoping he'll be a bright spot if the QB can just get the ball to him.

You both might like this article posted this morning.  When they talk about him working out, I immediately thought of Jay Prosch.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/gritty_weight_room_leader_chan.html

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

You both might like this article posted this morning.  When they talk about him working out, I immediately thought of Jay Prosch.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/08/gritty_weight_room_leader_chan.html

Awwww man... now you've got me wanting to see him go all Tre Smith on bama this year :)

4 minutes ago, WDE Matty said:

Run it right at the backup till they load the box and then light up the sky!

I am going to be really surprised if Clemson does not load up the box from the opening kick and dare us to light up the sky.  

wde

Clemson's secondary lost 3 players to the NFL and is probably their biggest weak spot entering the season. We have a lot of questions at QB of course, but I'd be a little surprised if Clemson's game plan is to play so heavily against the run considering their weakness. Also, that highlights how big the injury to their top DE is, since they are going to be relying more than normal on pressuring the QB to take stress off of a young and inexperienced secondary.

32 minutes ago, AUTUmike said:

Clemson's secondary lost 3 players to the NFL and is probably their biggest weak spot entering the season. We have a lot of questions at QB of course, but I'd be a little surprised if Clemson's game plan is to play so heavily against the run considering their weakness. Also, that highlights how big the injury to their top DE is, since they are going to be relying more than normal on pressuring the QB to take stress off of a young and inexperienced secondary.

Agreed.  If our corners can stay healthy and stay fresh I really like our chances of winning this.  In my eyes, if we can have just an improved quarterback (doesn't have to be heisman worthy) we will win.  I really like what I see on defense.  What I am really impressed with is the redshirt freshmen this year that are way under the radar.  Now with all of this excitement I have pent up, I need to find a way for the next 16 days to go by without killing me.

50 minutes ago, AUTUmike said:

Clemson's secondary lost 3 players to the NFL and is probably their biggest weak spot entering the season.

And they reloaded with 2 Seniors, one RS Junior & a Soph.

Just now, VipersStrike1 said:

Are they any good?  We certainly have a lot of seniors, juniors and sophomores who some people barely have faith in to find the field, let alone replace exiting top players.

3 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And they have Venables as their DC who rebuilt their D from 2014 going into 2015 as well.

wde

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Are they any good?  We certainly have a lot of seniors, juniors and sophomores who some people barely have faith in to find the field, let alone replace exiting top players.

They all played last season.

6 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

And they have Venables as their DC who rebuilt their D from 2014 going into 2015 as well.

wde

4 returning starters in 2015. Finished #10 in Total Defense.

4 returning starters in 2016.

But according to the vast majority this season, it's too many lost to the draft to reload.

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

4 returning starters in 2015. Finished #10 in Total Defense.

4 returning starters in 2016.

But according to the vast majority this season, it's too many lost to the draft to reload.

Talent AND coaching is nice to have.

wde

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Venables is the real deal.

Look at that... something I TOTALLY agree with you on. I have no opinion, yet, of Steele, but I would totally trade him, and a coach to be named later, for Venables.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Yea... so did a lot of our players that people have no faith in.

On the defensive side? Only probable starters on the defensive side I'm not confident on are Davidson and Holsey. Every other starter, I believe we're solid.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Look at that... something I TOTALLY agree with you on. I have no opinion, yet, of Steele, but I would totally trade him, and a coach to be named later, for Venables.

With Smart now a HC, the argument can be made Venables is the best DC in the game.

31 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

With Smart now a HC, the argument can be made Venables is the best DC in the game.

After we see bama and Georgia play this year, we may find out that he was the best even before Smart became a head coach.

3 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

On the defensive side? Only probable starters on the defensive side I'm not confident on are Davidson and Holsey. Every other starter, I believe we're solid.

I figured you would have mentioned the linebackers outside of Williams or mentioned Cowart.  Holsey played really well before he got hurt.  My only reservation on him would be how well can he turn and cut on the knee if he is corner.  But he is very similar to Countess where he can play every secondary position.  I like Davidson because of his maturity. He had to be good enough to at least start A-Day although I am curious of who will start across from Lawson.   He has been on campus for 8 months now which is very helpful

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I figured you would have mentioned the linebackers outside of Williams or mentioned Cowart.  Holsey played really well before he got hurt.  My only reservation on him would be how well can he turn and cut on the knee if he is corner.  But he is very similar to Countess where he can play every secondary position.  I like Davidson because of his maturity. He had to be good enough to at least start A-Day although I am curious of who will start across from Lawson.   He has been on campus for 8 months now which is very helpful

I was impressed with Darrell and Tre Williams.

I don't think anyone understands why Cowart can't lock down the DE spot opposite of Lawson.

7 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

I was impressed with Darrell and Tre Williams.

I don't think anyone understands why Cowart can't lock down the DE spot opposite of Lawson.

From what I have read, Cowart expected to dominate like he did in high school and really never faced adversity on the field.  When he got beat in practice last year and Garner did his famous "de-recruiting," his confidence was way down.  He also had serious maturity issues.  I forget the exact quote but people were saying walk on linemen were wanting to go up against him and asking "he was a 5-star recruit?"  Apparently he is headed in the right direction this year and has grown up a lot (even though he was arrested).  I don't know if he is there yet to start however.  I would either give that spot to Davidson, Holland, or James III.

Archived