Offense Adapting to QB

WarEagle231

Those of you who are knowledgeable when it comes to offensive strategy, please help. 

My question is, could Auburn transition to an offense like the triple option for this season. I am not suggesting that we permanently switch to that system, maybe just add a package of plays. When you look at teams like Georgia Sothern and Georgia tech who have had a lot of success with much, much less talent, it makes you curious. Even if we just added a play package of 10 or so plays with JFIII it could be lethal. However, it may require a completely different style of blocking for the OL and therefore not be plausible.

Imagine what Georgia Southern or Georgia Tech could do with the talent we have on offense. They would be unstoppable. Georgia Southern took Georgia to overtime last year with a roster of players who would most likely be backups at Auburn. Surely, JKIII could learn a triple option play package over the next few weeks.

Disclosure: I have not lost faith in Sean White or Gus Malzahn. However, I have seen a few years in which we just couldn't seem to get things going in the passing game. If Gus Malzahn's offensive approach in 2011,2015, and 2016 (so far) has a weakness it's that other teams are comfortable loading the box and not worrying about the passing game as much. Running the triple option at least admits that we are not that effective in the passing game and sets us up to have better success running the ball. We saw this with the zone read plays that JFIII ran on Saturday.

My concern is that we stick to the 2015 offensive approach. Then teams continue to ignore the threat of a passing game and bury our offense with blitzes that our OL and QBs can't seem to handle. It's frustrating to watch and we saw Saturday how everything changed when the zone read was used. My thought is that without the passing threat of guys like Cam or Nick, the zone read becomes less effective. However, the triple option adds another layer of confusion that challenges defenses. Is it possible to effectively add at this point?

I have no idea why you all seem to think that JFIII is this sure-fire running dream.  He made at least two incorrect reads in the option game against Clemson (where he should have kept the ball but didn't).  The fact that he isn't the outright starter should already tell you enough.

Just now, metafour said:

I have no idea why you all seem to think that JFIII is this sure-fire running dream.  He made at least two incorrect reads in the option game against Clemson (where he should have kept the ball but didn't).  The fact that he isn't the outright starter should already tell you enough.

Probably wasn't given the freedom to run it?  I think he's not the outright starter b/c his passing abilities are not D1 level.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

I agree though I will say we do not know if he gave to the Rb by design rather than a true read

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Probably wasn't given the freedom to run it?  I think he's not the outright starter b/c his passing abilities are not D1 level.

No, he just made the wrong read.  Franklin is not a read-option QB and never has been.  Not at FSU and not at his JUCO either.  I thought that he also looked blatantly confused after a few plays.

Gus and company would LOVE to recreate the Nick Marshall offense if they could at this point.  The fact that they haven't handed the ball over to JFIII simply tells you all you need to know about how they feel with regards to his readiness to execute a read-option heavy offense.  The idea that he's not the outright starter because of his lack of passing ability is comical: they don't even let Sean White (the PASSER) throw the football.  They aren't holding Franklin back because he's not an elite passer.

1 minute ago, metafour said:

No, he just made the wrong read.  Franklin is not a read-option QB and never has been.  Not at FSU and not at his JUCO either.  I thought that he also looked blatantly confused after a few plays.

Gus and company would LOVE to recreate the Nick Marshall offense if they could at this point.  The fact that they haven't handed the ball over to JFIII simply tells you all you need to know about how they feel with regards to his readiness to execute a read-option heavy offense.  The idea that he's not the outright starter because of his lack of passing ability is comical: they don't even let Sean White (the PASSER) throw the football.  They aren't holding Franklin back because he's not an elite passer.

JF3 would be the #4 guy if you were to put Barrett in the mix. As far as starting QB's. 

The idea was there. The execution is not.  The coaches took a chance and it didn't work out.  Will it eventually? Not sure.

I never said elite passer.  He's nowhere near being a passer, and that's a problem for us when we get to a 3rd and 5.

We also heard rumors of him fumbling in scrimmages...I'm sure that plays heavily into it as well.

We just need to convince all of our opponents to play 2-minute prevent against us the whole game so Sean can pick them apart hitting our wide open receivers.

I am not suggesting that JFIII is the answer. This is not a bench Sean thread.

I'm saying that using a running scheme package like Georgia Southern may be the answer this season. The package could be lead by JFIII, Jeremy, Woody, or possibly even Sean.

Don't think we've got the personnel to run the bone....not clear we have enough running back back depth,  have not seen JF3 actually run an option play yet and it's not evident we have a TE that can block...pretty hard to run the bone without all this....  The biggest concern is all I read about JF3 not being secure with the ball...the bone carries high risk in that regard...putting that in the hands of a guy who has issues in the first place is a  poor formula.  If we tried it, I'm afraid we might get boned (OK, yes, it's corny, cheezy, childish...just couldn't resist). 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

We just need to convince all of our opponents to play 2-minute prevent against us the whole game so Sean can pick them apart hitting our wide open receivers.

In his first start ever, against an SEC team, White went for 188 yards against MSU. In his next three SEC games, he averaged about 255 yards through the air (Kentucky, Ark, Ole Miss). He only threw 10 passes against San Jose, but went for around 108 yards there, I believe? He had terrible game planning, terrible substitution patterns and subpar blocking to contend with against Clemson, and still did OK. I think that, at some point, he deserves some small amount of credit for being able to move the team down the field. Just my two cents worth.

Just now, AUinfusion said:

In his first start ever, against an SEC team, White went for 188 yards against MSU. In his next three SEC games, he averaged about 255 yards through the air (Kentucky, Ark, Ole Miss). He only threw 10 passes against San Jose, but went for around 108 yards there, I believe? He had terrible game planning, terrible substitution patterns and subpar blocking to contend with against Clemson, and still did OK. I think that, at some point, he deserves some small amount of credit for being able to move the team down the field. Just my two cents worth.

Dude... I was joking.  Don't you know that I'm known by several around here as the biggest Sean White homer that there is?  I was just making fun of the fact that he looked like an all star, last week, when Clemson was in prevent.

3 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

We could pull off what Southern has done since 2014, but we would be doomed if we ran the flexbone that Paul Johnson runs. 

Please no, Georgia Tech puts me to sleep.

If the rumors about JF are true, SW may be all we have this season.  IMO, JJ's ship has sailed and WB hasn't been with the team long enough to develop.  I just hope (wish) CGM can (will) adapt the play calling and offensive scheme to SW's strengths.

Well, I've said before I think SW can do it...  now it may not be pretty a lot especially when the D's try an take away what we do best,

SW / offense will struggle at times... it won't be perfect (there will be interceptions but we gotta go wide open full throttle and let it rip) and we HAVE to have good game plans / PLAY CALLING and mid- game ADJUSTMENTS.... plus we have GOT to improve as the season goes, especially those players around / with SW.... but with the defense we may now have, we should be in every game.

The thing that worries me is keeping everybody HEALTHY (man when 2 of our DB's went down against Clemson I was like oh... crap), and especially keeping SW healthy. He is not the do it all everything cam / nick  kinda QB...

The players around him have GOT to step up and raise their level of play to help him out... and every body's got to just go all Will Hastings and ball out...

I swear a walk on... HASTINGS could be the spark plug that ignites this team especially for SW, and isn't that JUST like Auburn??

and a Walk on will lead them...

and if ALL the talented players we have would realize that if they play together as a team they can do anything... they can do anything. 

It could sure be fun. 

Oh and BTW..

The thread title: "Offense Adapting to the QB" is EXACTLY what Gus needs to do going forward for SW and / or which ever QB is playing. Tailor the Offense to suit our strengths and minimize our weakness.   

It is not so much the type of offense we run ( as long as we have recruited to that degree) but the play calling. Football games are like chess matches to some degree. You do have to have the talent to compete but it really comes down to how you call your game. When you become predictable as Gus has become the last couple of years, it give your opponents a large advantage. I mean you can become good at a few things but you can't be predictable what you will call in certain situations. If you bring in a QB that is not a long ball threat or a running threat then you are taking options away from what the defense has to gauge for. You need to play to the strength of your team instead of staying steadfast in one type of offense. I doubt Mike Shula had ever worked with a player of Cam's abilities. Cam did not fit Mike's earlier QBs or offensive style. The first year instead of trying to remake Cam he took his gifts and made an offense that could capitalize on his abilities. Gus did the same thing with not only Cam and Nick but also with his QBs at Arkansas St. and Tulsa. For some reason (maybe Nick's and Cam's success) he is trying to remake these guys into NM or Cam. Problem is it is not going to work. He needs to pick a QB and build to their strength. If that QB goes down then tailor to the new QBs strength. Recruit players to your offense, but if you don't get the recruit that you need then play to the QB you have strengths. WDE

fwiw, it took about a month for Gus to adjust our O to Cam's in your face game day ability. Not a slam of him at all, just saying such things don't turn on a dime. Heck Urban Myth never customized anything to Cam's glaring talents.

Gus needs to just let Sean play and be Sean, he will make mistakes, Gus needs to show faith in his QB and let him play football and stop over thinking everything and put all his gimmick bullcrap plays in a bag and burn them.

21 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

fwiw, it took about a month for Gus to adjust our O to Cam's in your face game day ability. Not a slam of him at all, just saying such things don't turn on a dime. Heck Urban Myth never customized anything to Cam's glaring talents.

Good point.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Gus needs to just let Sean play and be Sean, he will make mistakes, Gus needs to show faith in his QB and let him play football and stop over thinking everything and put all his gimmick bullcrap plays in a bag and burn them.

Can we get Gus to scrap the stupid bubble screen while we are at it?  Or, at least, fake the bubble screen and have the lead WR run a go or crossing pattern?

3 minutes ago, Shift said:

Can we get Gus to scrap the stupid bubble screen while we are at it?  Or, at least, fake the bubble screen and have the lead WR run a go or crossing pattern?

Or...or...or just hear me out. Fake the bubble screen into a bubble on the other side. Boom!

2 minutes ago, api1957 said:
6 minutes ago, Shift said:

Or...or...or just hear me out. Fake the bubble screen into a bubble on the other side. Boom!

Or....... we could just get some downfield blocking from the other receivers and the bubble screen would suddenly work.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Or....... we could just get some downfield blocking from the other receivers and the bubble screen would suddenly work.

Maybe but unless it is executed perfectly, it rarely results in more than a 2-3 yard gain, at least for us.  All in all, for our offense, it has been a very low percentage play which is why I don't understand why Gus is so committed to it.  I mean, I could understand if there was some variation in it from time to time (i.e. fake or throwing to different receiver) but it has become the same ole boring play time and time again that defenders just gobble up.

Archived