Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Quoting myself here, not because I'm impressed with my own words but instead so that there's some context for the tweet I'm going to post below (and so I'm not attacking anybody else). Several of us discussed last year- after Stat told us the same thing going into the season- that the inexperience of our QBs was compounded by the inexperience of those around them. I'm not using it as an excuse for our overall performance as an offensive team this year- no HC gets a pass two years in a row- but when assessing any Auburn QB's performance in 2016, you really need to think about the following IMO:

Damn! This makes me excited about next two years with this offense!

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't know where that came from but from the post that was quoted that particular post yes he did, this one not so much

That was his response after being asked what he suggested to remedy our issues. After taking the above quoted view for several hours.

15 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Damn! This makes me excited about next two years with this offense!

Lots of production from our underclassmen on the other side of the ball, too. 

I really want Gus to figure it out. Not only is this roster loaded with talent, but these are good kids with winning attitudes. I truly think it's a special team. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I said some of the stuff you mentioned. Sort of but you took what I said out of context. Yes I said the excuse thing. But it's true. Nobody made excuses for the other qb's and it's the same offense, the same coaches. 

When he throws the long ball I'm sure people well give him credit for it. I promise you as soon as he throws a couple of long passes the adamant cheer leaders will come in and you will see many I thought they said....posts. But he has to do it. And he's played more than enough games to do it so it's no big deal just something he has to work on. What trips me out is the reaction to saying he has to work on it. 

You're right about pressure, long accuracy, drops, route running, etc..the thing about it is every other qb on earth has gone through that as well.

Now if you lean on being not as hard on players that's just the poster you are, I have no problems. If you're hard on players that's the poster you are no problems. But the people I've seen be hard on other qb's and when one qb is getting blasted misses a throw and the response is he's scared and he can't throw and the other qb gets blasted and it's he's tough it's the o line fault....yeah that's hypocrisy. I'm going to say something about it. 

As far as the sw gets attacked and hated movement....You literally have no more than 3 guys that does that. Nobody can name more than 3 posters....everybody else offers critique on him and don't even talk bad about him and it's everybody hates him.

A poster talks good about another qb it's everybody hates sw or are you so and so's dad or uncle....have you seen ANYBODY do that to anybody else? Cleco has a shirt on with sw face on it right now but did anybody attack him? 

Nobody is attacking sw for real. When somebody tried to say he had a bad game I was the first to call that out and that's literally the worst thing that has been said about him. Think about the stuff that's been said about other players...

Oh and Brady didn't have deep threat wr's as soon as he did he broke records....Brady can throw the long ball

I think a lot of people piled up on JJ because of what we had seen of him previously and what we "expected" him to be capable of. A lot of us myself included thought JJ would come into the starting role and blaze the field and keep the momentum going on his shoulders. Unfairly I admit. We all saw how that turned out and what continues to plague him mentally. I blame that on Gus. That said. Just like Sean, JJ had things outside of himself that factored into his performance as well. The difference I see is how it's handled by each of them. Sean seems to have more grip and hasn't fallen apart under the pressure, with JJ it seemed the pressure only compounded his mental slump. I don't think there's any dispute that JJ has a better arm, without a doubt has to better physique and stature to be successful as a QB, but something's just not right about him. I hate it for the kid too, I was his biggest fan coming into last season. I wish we could rewind and figure out what went wrong.

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Either someone made a mistake or the blocking assignments were poor in the first place.        

I'm voting the latter, considering that we have plenty of other blocking issues as well. Kozan and Smith are good linemen... I can't see them continually screwing up their assignments.

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lots of production from our underclassmen on the other side of the ball, too. 

I really want Gus to figure it out. Not only is this roster loaded with talent, but these are good kids with winning attitudes. I truly think it's a special team. 

Agreed.  The current team may not be world beaters this year, but they are primed for an amazing 2-year run.  It also says A LOT about how our recruiting is improving. We've had top 10 classes for a while, now, but we're finally stating to see early production from recruits, which was something that was missing except in a small handful of players.

On 9/25/2016 at 1:20 AM, bigbird said:

Did he miss some throws, yes. However I haven't seen a AU QB stand in the pocket and take hits in a long time. Cam didn't, Nick didn't(neither were asked to). The last I can think of was Cox or maybe Nix.  I have always been a SW fan and I'm unapologetic to that.  He is tough as nails, delivers a good ball, and commands the offense. 

He is growing up in front of us and had one heck of a game. Even though the team struggled a lot of the game, the struggle can not be attributed to Sean. He played really well.

Sean reminds me of an exact replica of Brandon Cox in the way he plays....I think Brandon may have had a more accurate/stronger pass (or maybe he just had better talent around him), but the playing styles are exactly the same.

I have no problem with SW right now, I think the play calling has been suspect up until now and if he could have been the primary QB for the majority of the game against Clemson, I think we have one more win in the bag.....just my opinion.

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Either someone made a mistake or the blocking assignments were poor in the first place.       

I'm guessing it was a player mistake. The way D linemen are stunting, linebackers moving, and there is complete uncertainty of who will blitz and who will drop back, it's very easy to get confused on which guy to block. Very often if somebody ends up needlessly double teaming a defensive player, it's because they made the wrong split-second read. And I mean split second because if one OL is a split second too late reading the defense, then the play usually ends up getting blown up. The rule is to block the inside guy or the guy that is closest to the QB and to communicate. But it's easier said than done.

I don't know how anybody can just assume it was a coaching mistake.

7 minutes ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

Sean reminds me of an exact replica of Brandon Cox in the way he plays....I think Brandon may have had a more accurate/stronger pass (or maybe he just had better talent around him), but the playing styles are exactly the same.

I have no problem with SW right now, I think the play calling has been suspect up until now and if he could have been the primary QB for the majority of the game against Clemson, I think we have one more win in the bag.....just my opinion.

Sean is far, far more mobile than Cox was. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

I think a lot of people piled up on JJ because of what we had seen of him previously and what we "expected" him to be capable of. A lot of us myself included thought JJ would come into the starting role and blaze the field and keep the momentum going on his shoulders. Unfairly I admit. We all saw how that turned out and what continues to plague him mentally. I blame that on Gus. That said. Just like Sean, JJ had things outside of himself that factored into his performance as well. The difference I see is how it's handled by each of them. Sean seems to have more grip and hasn't fallen apart under the pressure, with JJ it seemed the pressure only compounded his mental slump. I don't think there's any dispute that JJ has a better arm, without a doubt has to better physique and stature to be successful as a QB, but something's just not right about him. I hate it for the kid too, I was his biggest fan coming into last season. I wish we could rewind and figure out what went wrong.

People think that when I post I'm pushing for him to play...But that's not so, I used to say jj sucked until I was told not to anymore. I thought he shouldn't have gotten pulled after the lsu game because I knew if that call was made he would probably be done. Looks like I was right. 

I'm a pretty hard evaluator myself so I get it but I'm just saying it's not right to be super hard on some guys and not others. All these things said now I said in that thread I made last year when I was called every name in the book. So in my mind no need to talk about it now.

Sammie Coates? I was the guy who was called stupid for saying he was important and actually better than Duke. I talked about barber not being that good. Talked about o line and drops....literally a year ago.

When jj started and we beat a&m I saw people still attack him for the things they say is holding sw back. 

Sw is the starter because he handles himself better than jj under pressure....So when sw gets pressure it's stupid to complain he shouldn't get it...qb's getting pressured drops the production of every qb. Sw is the starter because he makes better decisions under pressure but yeah it would be great if any qb didn't have to deal with that....But every qb does. Every qb has wr have drops. I didn't hardly see anybody talk about the bad throws that the wr's caught though....nothing more than way to give the wr a chance sw....

I would say this about jf3 or jj if they were playing and people were just pointing out everybody else mistakes but when sw played they just put the blame on him.

Just like I'm not going to listen to somebody say sw didn't play a good game last week when if jf3 had done that everybody would be saying he played a good game. My thing is be fair and honest

28 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Agreed.  The current team may not be world beaters this year, but they are primed for an amazing 2-year run.  It also says A LOT about how our recruiting is improving. We've had top 10 classes for a while, now, but we're finally stating to see early production from recruits, which was something that was missing except in a small handful of players.

I don't want to start the in the future stuff. I think they can be world beaters. I think we have the talent to be very good right now. I think it's really just improving this red zone thing and we're literally just as good as anybody. That and throwing on first down a little and throwing down field a little. 

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm voting the latter, considering that we have plenty of other blocking issues as well. Kozan and Smith are good linemen... I can't see them continually screwing up their assignments.

I agree. It looked more like XD should have taken the MLB with KP running right behind him. Whether it was a mistake or bad blocking assignments, I guess we'll probably never know. Something was wrong though because you don't normally run up the middle and leave the MLB unblocked.   

Jeff Berger comes to mind as a comparison to Sean.

13 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I agree. It looked more like XD should have taken the MLB with KP running right behind him. Whether it was a mistake or bad blocking assignments, I guess we'll probably never know. Something was wrong though because you don't normally run up the middle and leave the MLB unblocked.   

Man....  if XD had read that and launched straight out to the MLB... he would have hit him at or past the goal line and into their second level... whole different play and possibly drove him backwards or at least held that opening for a second and enough for KJ to get to the goal line and probably fight his way in... totally different outcome of that play probably...

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am like Bird I don't understand why so many don't think SW can be a winner. 

1. Clemson the total lack of a QB philosophy by the HC and OC plus total lack of blocking didn't allow any QB to look good. D kept us in we actually had a slight chance of winning.

2. Arky State - O hitting on all Cylinders - Quality of opponent had a lot to do with that.

3. Texas A&M - O-Line Problems - to many big losses on 1st down. SW also was not as sharp as he could have been - Pressure does that to a QB,

4. LSU - O-Line played better in that negative plays were much better then against Clemson and A&M. Play calling was better. Still to many obvious 3rd down passing situations but SW actually saved 1st down multiple times. Was 19-26 with two dropped passes and two bad passes.  Got us to Red Zone we didn't get TD's. When we get to Red Zone we go real conservative. If we think about throwing it is with QB rolling which removes half the field as an option to throw to.  Also pass routes we run in End Zone are predicated on receiver being wide open I have yet to see us try a back shoulder throw in the end zone. Is that because SW can't make that throw, Our Receivers are not tall enough, or our coaches don't want to take a chance. I don't know.

Somebody said those of us who like SW make excuses for him O-Line, bad play calling, etc. There is some truth to that but it seems to happen every time we are in Red Zone.  When Nick was here there were times we just gave the ball to RB 's in the Red zone and we scored no trickery we just beat people up front. If that happened just once or twice in LSU game we would have won handily and everybody would be bragging what a great QB SW was.

As for those who say he can't throw the long ball. Tom Brady is not very good at the long ball it sure hasn't hurt his career.  SW has completed a few long passes this year the difference is after catching the passes none of our receivers have broken that one tackle and taken it to the house.  Once you get over 30 yards all QB's accuracy goes down. But by hitting one every now and then and missing one every now and then you keep the D honest.

Yep, I am probably one of the people you are talking about and I stand corrected. I do not think SW will lose us games. I do not believe he will win us games either. If everyone around him elevates their games, then we are in a good position. If something is slightly off, is he able to elevate his game to mask that discrepancy? Is he the playmaker to do that? I guess we will see. I will eat my crow if he does.

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't want to start the in the future stuff. I think they can be world beaters. I think we have the talent to be very good right now. I think it's really just improving this red zone thing and we're literally just as good as anybody. That and throwing on first down a little and throwing down field a little. 

I agree that we have some solid talent on this team, and could be very good right now, but even with adjustments, I don't see this team being the kind of juggernaut that they have the chance to be as everyone matures, and we fill a couple of holes, over the next 2-3 years, and then hopefully moving forward from there.   

Don't get me wrong.  I'm certainly not writing this season off. I'm just reveling in the potential that lies ahead. It really feels like, for the first time in a very long time, Auburn is building a foundation instead of just continually patching holes with JuCo players and seeing 1-2 good years out of their 4 year players.

56 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You and I usually agree. But the key to every good to great Auburn team is the O-line. Next year we lose Kozan and Braden Smith is eligible to leave early. They are the two best players we have seen on the O-line this year. Leff will also graduate  and none of the people behind him have been able to beat him out and Dampeer will be gone. We will be replacing 3 and maybe 4 of our starting linemen next year.  On D we lose Lawson, Adams and Ford. I think these players can be replaced but losing the nucleus of your O-line and two key D-linemen makes it tough.

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You and I usually agree. But the key to every good to great Auburn team is the O-line. Next year we lose Kozan and Braden Smith is eligible to leave early. They are the two best players we have seen on the O-line this year. Leff will also graduate  and none of the people behind him have been able to beat him out and Dampeer will be gone. We will be replacing 3 and maybe 4 of our starting linemen next year.  On D we lose Lawson, Adams and Ford. I think these players can be replaced but losing the nucleus of your O-line and two key D-linemen makes it tough.

We are currently slated for one of the best O-Line recruiting classes we've had in years, with a couple of them having rare freshman stating potential (think the crew that ended up being our 2010 line) and we also have several freshman O-Linemen who we are hearing good things about. I doubt VERY much Smith leaves after this lackluster season for the line. I can't imagine a drop off.

As for the D, I see Lawson, Adams and Ford and raise you Davidson, Cowart, and Brown.  I'm not sure who will step up to fill Rudy's shoes, but I'm not overly concerned. 

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'd like to see them throw on first down more too. Put KD or Slayton wide and streak him down the sideline and air it out ala Sammie. Even if it isn't open sling it far down field and out of bounds over the WR. Would open up the run and underneath routes if we did that 5-6 times a game IMO. Might even get enough separation to get a lucky deep completion. I agree with you about Sammie. His drops frustrated me, but I knew he was vital to lengthening the field the secondary had to account for. I think any of our young WRs could fill that role. Trick is OL giving Sean that extra second or 2 to step into that throw.

44 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, really my initial intent was to point out how inexperienced we are across the board on offense. But I am excited about our young guys. 

3 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I'd like to see them throw on first down more too. Put KD or Slayton wide and streak him down the sideline and air it out ala Sammie. Even if it isn't open sling it far down field and out of bounds over the WR. Would open up the run and underneath routes if we did that 5-6 times a game IMO. Might even get enough separation to get a lucky deep completion. I agree with you about Sammie. His drops frustrated me, but I knew he was vital to lengthening the field the secondary had to account for. I think any of our young WRs could fill that role. Trick is OL giving Sean that extra second or 2 to step into that throw.

Hopefully we'll see more of this now that we aren't facing the top 2 pass rushers in the SEC anymore.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

We are currently slated for one of the best O-Line recruiting classes we've had in years, with a couple of them having rare freshman stating potential (think the crew that ended up being our 2010 line) and we also have several freshman O-Linemen who we are hearing good things about. I doubt VERY much Smith leaves after this lackluster season for the line. I can't imagine a drop off.

As for the D, I see Lawson, Adams and Ford and raise you Davidson, Cowart, and Brown.  I'm not sure who will step up to fill Rudy's shoes, but I'm not overly concerned. 

I hope you are right. But two of the O-Linemen coming in next year  are hurt so I expect them to Redshirt. So next year a new Center, Smith at either tackle or guard if you are right about him returning, Golson at tackle hopefully right tackle, Ashley as a starter and probably Kim at Center with either Horton or James as other starter. That is 3 new starters one a freshman.. It might work but it scares me. Maybe a JC guard that would help. Time playing together is super important on the O-line.

If you graded the O-line individually this year the grade probably isn't to bad it is as a unit where different guys make mistakes. One misread makes the whole O-line look bad. Our guys seem to take turns making the mistakes.

We have solid replacements for Lawson and Adams but against LSU Adams was the man. He finally put together a whole game. That is hard to replace.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree that we have some solid talent on this team, and could be very good right now, but even with adjustments, I don't see this team being the kind of juggernaut that they have the chance to be as everyone matures, and we fill a couple of holes, over the next 2-3 years, and then hopefully moving forward from there.   

Don't get me wrong.  I'm certainly not writing this season off. I'm just reveling in the potential that lies ahead. It really feels like, for the first time in a very long time, Auburn is building a foundation instead of just continually patching holes with JuCo players and seeing 1-2 good years out of their 4 year players.

The way our roster cycles you are right IMO. Our down years lately have led to big years when the players become seniors and juniors. Something like 90% of our yards have come from underclassmen. Just wait until they are seniors. 2010 and 2004 were big-time senior led teams that all had growing pains that lasted multiple years.

Think UT this year. Very young the last 2 years but they are turning the corner because they finally have experience under their belts. We can be good to very good next year, but the year after that has the potential to be a 10+ win season contending for the West IMO. Considering a lot of the talent producing right now will still have eligibility at that point. JMO of course

I think this season is going to be the equivalent of our 2011 season for this current group of guys. 

We have got to quit being scared with the playcalling. We refuse to throw on first down against the good teams. We did a lot vs Arky St but thats just arky st. When we go "fast" for the love of God don't run the same play over and over. Its like he is so scared for it to be 2nd and 10. Maybe its because he knows the OL is very poor in pass protection IDK but against the good teams we cannot be so conservative anymore. It cost us vs clemson and TAMU.

Archived