Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

None of this will matter when Stidham gets here

Maybe so, maybe not, but I sure hope that he does get here and gives us another fun conversation next summer.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe so, maybe not, but I sure hope that he does get here and gives us another fun conversation next summer.

So  if Stidham comes next year and White beats him out for the job will people finally come to the conclusion that White is a fairly respectable quarterback ? 

There seems to be more similarity between White and Cox than many people realize . If I recall correctly, Auburn people were always waiting on someone to beat out Cox for the job but it just did not seem to happen. 

7 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Mizzou QB leads the league in yards and has over a 165 QBR so I don't think they would consider it.

I wonder if that 79 spot they put on the mighty Delaware State Hornets affected those numbers at all. Either way, he started the last eight games of their season last year and played in all 12. Still more experienced than Sean. 

Not arguing with you, by the way. Just using your post to further the point I was making was somebody else.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There seems to be more similarity between White and Cox than many people realize . If I recall correctly, Auburn people were always waiting on someone to beat out Cox for the job but it just did not seem to happen. 

Where is the similarity? White hasn't even beat him out yet. He beat out an athlete that doesn't know the playbook. 

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder if that 79 spot they put on the mighty Delaware State Hornets affected those numbers at all. Either way, he started the last eight games of their season last year and played in all 12. Still more experienced than Sean.

There you go again just trying to confuse things with valid questions, good information, supportable conclusions and logic. How do you ever expect to make a point like that? ;)

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Where is the similarity? White hasn't even beat him out yet. He beat out an athlete that doesn't know the playbook. 

Well, the entire world seemed to think JF3 was going to be our QB, and of course JJ was just warming up for the Heisman last year.   All any player can do is beat out the guys on the team who are competing for the job.  Cox was always thought to be too slow, not have enough arm or something but seemed to hang in there.  So just suggesting that predicting next year before the successor QB even shows up is kind of a stretch. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Well, the entire world seemed to think JF3 was going to be our QB, and of course JJ was just warming up for the Heisman last year.   All any player can do is beat out the guys on the team who are competing for the job.  Cox was always thought to be too slow, not have enough arm or something but seemed to hang in there.  So just suggesting that predicting next year before the successor QB even shows up is kind of a stretch. 

Cox beat Bama all four years and he's a legend. White is going to be a legend for having ten thousand total yards, ten TDs, and be one of the most polarizing players to ever play for Auburn. 

3 hours ago, selias said:

That's a dangerous throw without stopping to square his shoulders and set his feet. The end zone is only 10 yards deep and if the pass is a floater you're looking at potential INT. Eat the sack and take the points :)

Yea I think he had a guy in the back of the end zone behind a defender if he throws a jump ball only his guy could catch to the back pylon... but not sure you don't get a pick if you don't throw it perfectly and on the run like that with the pressure... maybe actually better to the sack there, or even better to throw it away than try to force it if you have another down...  

50 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hasn't JF3 been here since before spring practice? You're telling me that he still doesn't know the playbook? That's the excuse? BS. 

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So  if Stidham comes next year and White beats him out for the job will people finally come to the conclusion that White is a fairly respectable quarterback ? 

Who said he wasn't respectable ?

I just feel that Stidham has more potential, as evident by how he played as a true freshman and would be utilized well in our offense. Just my opinion. 

I can have one of those right ?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

-He didn't even get quality practice reps in 2014, much less any game reps. Was he even officially QB3 in '14?
-He didn't get a single game snap until the 4th game of 2015. 
-He was hurt the 2nd half of 2015.
-Did he even get half the snaps in the season opener this year?

Claiming "3rd year in the system" really, really doesn't float here. 

As for which other teams would trade their QB for him, I agree with the four you mention. As for those other two, no, UGA probably wouldn't trade their super duper recruit for Sean, and bama's been successful with every QB they've had for almost 10 years starting with John Parker Wilson, so who knows. Texas A&M probably wouldn't trade their guy who started a bowl game when Sean was still in high school. Not sure about Arkansas and their RS JR who at least saw action in 8 games over two seasons before this season- with two years as the backup to one guy running the same offense he is- but I imagine they might factor in that extra year of experience, sure. Nah, Ole Miss probably isn't going to trade their senior and 2nd-year full-time starter, who is probably the best QB in the league. Could Sean beat out the mighty Nick Fitzgerald at MSU? I'd be surprised if you told me for sure that he couldn't.

You made it clear in the offseason that you just really want a DT QB. You share that opinion with many. You even seem to have some inside info that the coaches would rather have a DT QB. That's fine- in fact, any coach with a brain would rather have a dual threat QB if the guy can actually play the position- but it seems that opinion is leading you and many others to make inaccurate observations about Sean White. 

There isn't any inaccurate observation. Up to this point SW has been an average qb. I am basing this on his on the field play, win loss record, and stats.  How can you make any other assunption

3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Hasn't JF3 been here since before spring practice? You're telling me that he still doesn't know the playbook? That's the excuse? BS. 

That's what he and '23 are both saying. I'm starting to wonder if JFIII has the discipline to make himself study.

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

That's what I've heard. Are you not a pseudo-insider? You tell me.

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If White beats out Stidham, I don't know if any of us will recover from the shock.  As accurate as White is, Stidham is a dual-threat, so he automatically has more weapons and is by all accounts going to be an elite QB as soon as he suits up at his next school.

1 minute ago, CleCoTiger said:

That's what he and '23 are both saying. I'm starting to wonder if JFIII has the discipline to make himself study.

And that's what I don't buy. Either he's really that dense and can't pick up what is a relatively simple offense compared to a lot of other systems (ie getting a lot if not most of the calls/instructions from the sidelines) or he wasn't told to learn it. Either way, it's a failure of coaching and it just seems extremely difficult to think that even this staff, which has made enormous blunders thus far this month, was really that stupid as to mistreat what could be their #1 DT guy that way. 

Idk if Franklin just isn't that good or what but whatever it is, that explanation just doesn't make a lot of sense. 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

If White beats out Stidham, I don't know if any of us will recover from the shock.  As accurate as White is, Stidham is a dual-threat, so he automatically has more weapons and is by all accounts going to be an elite QB as soon as he suits up at his next school.

Of course Stidham isn't here, and he may never be here. And even if he is here, if SW and the Tigers  gel into an offensive juggernaut before this season is out, well, a lot of coaches have a hard time sitting down a proven winner at QB.  Even if they're willing to sit a winner down, and it remains to be seen if AU becomes that with SW pulling the trigger of course, we may still be counting our chickens before they hatch on Stidham.  No one else has said it so let me put this out there: The opening at LSU may be a game changer on Stidham and all things Briles as well. If we get Stidham, fine. Let the chips on the QB battle fall where they may. But it seems awful premature to anoint Stidham the starter before he ever gets here and SW has a chance to compete (again, assuming that SW shows that he can be the QB that I think he can be.) 

2 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Idk if Franklin just isn't that good or what but whatever it is, that explanation just doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Jalen Ramsey (old FSU CB now plays for Jax) tweeted about him saying something along the lines of "you've transferred three times and still can't start? Maybe it's not the school bro" during the Clemson game. 

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Jalen Ramsey (old FSU CB now plays for Jax) tweeted about him saying something along the lines of "you've transferred three times and still can't start? Maybe it's not the school bro" during the Clemson game. 

Steve Smith Sr. is going to shut his mouth for good the next time they play. Ramsey is a damn punk.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

So just wondering ..JF3 had half a year to learn the play book....and apparently is not ready yet if comments above are true.  Is the play book that much of an issue...would Stidham have the same trouble?   

Maybe we need a simpler play book...somehow freshmen seem ready to play at a number of schools.  They make freshman mistakes but I wonder if their coaches are only allowing them to run about 1/2 or less of their playbook.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So just wondering ..JF3 had half a year to learn the play book....and apparently is not ready yet if comments above are true.  Is the play book that much of an issue...would Stidham have the same trouble?   

Maybe we need a simpler play book...somehow freshmen seem ready to play at a number of schools.  They make freshman mistakes but I wonder if their coaches are only allowing them to run about 1/2 or less of their playbook.

I also said JF3 is an "athlete." As in he is too raw as well. The playbook isn't his only problem. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Steve Smith Sr. is going to shut his mouth for good the next time they play. Ramsey is a damn punk.

He does run his mouth too much, however, in this instance, he might not be wrong. I am truly baffled as to why the AU staff wouldn't offer the kid from V.Tech and still bring JF3 in as an athlete.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I also said JF3 is an "athlete." As in he is too raw as well. The playbook isn't his only problem. 

I understand that...and was roundly criticized on this site when I said that about 6 months ago.  The loud voices assured everyone that he was a QB and was recruited to be a QB....and that he would be our QB this year.  And wasn't he recruited by FSU as a QB too.  

In this case I agree with you but you have to admit, this is the third school that has tried to make him a QB...and maybe it's time to pull the plug on that effort and put him somewhere that will enable him to use his athleticism.

Just now, DAG said:

He does run his mouth too much, however, in this instance, he might not be wrong. I am truly baffled as to why the AU staff wouldn't offer the kid from V.Tech and still bring JF3 in as an athlete.

He isn't wrong. It's just something you shouldn't put out in public regarding your ex teammates.

Listen to Ramsey tell the media, as a rookie, that he doesn't respect 16 year pro Steve Smith Sr. ...lol

Archived