Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

11 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Hmmm. Seems to me you just indicted the coaches and the plays that are being called. Remember, you go to war with the troops you have, not the troops you wish you had. 

Wow. The great White Hype. SMH.

As fas as Malzahn only having "one offense that works", all those offensive records from Tulsa say howdy! And that record for TD passes set so long ago by Pat Sullivan which was broken in 2009 is waving at ya too! Also, see StatTiger's "Notes on Red Zone Offense" from today. But before you see that post from Stat, let me ask you to answer this question:

Was AU's TD percentage better in the red zone in 2009 with Chris Todd or in 2010 with Cam Newton?  Was it better in 2009 with Chris Todd or better in 2013 with Nick Marshall?  (No peeking at Stat's post before you answer!)

People have called Sean White the "Great White Hype" for a long time now. Don't act like he's being racist. Looking at you too, imaotiger

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Tiger Scout said:

i am sick of stats. we have a different schedule each year and you guys want to take stats from a entire year last year and compare them to 4games of stats this year. you can find stats to support any argument. according to most of you sean white should win the heisman.  one more thing every team in college football has receivers that drop balls. so quit acting like that is the only problem with the qb play.

And here we go again with someone putting words into the mouths/posts of others that have not been said. Show me so much as one post from anyone that says SW should win the Heisman this season or even be mentioned in the same breath as that award. Just one.

Also, you keep talking about "problems with QB play." What are those problems? Can't complete passes? Nope. He has an outstanding pass completion rate. Fumbles all the time? Nope. Is an interception machine? Nope. Is too dense or too lazy to study the playbook and see the field? Nope. So instead of being vague ("probelms with QB play"), you and the few that are with you on that train you're riding might oughta try forming a cogent argument. 

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

QBs need to be accurate about 13 or 14 times out of 20.  WRs need to catch the ball 18-19 times out of 20.  Sean is afforded a few more bad passes than WRs are afforded drops.  He gets (and should get) a little more slack when he misses a throw.

Or we could be fair and call a missed touchdown pass a missed touchdown pass just like we say receivers dropped two touchdown passes. Sean's missed touchdown pass literally only required throw and catch. 

Both positions are on scholarship for their craft. One might have a lineman ready to T off on them and the other night have a linebacker ready to T off on them after the fact. 

LMAO at those who say I don't understand basic football principles. ??

7 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

And here we go again with someone putting words into the mouths/posts of others that have not been said. Show me so much as one post from anyone that says SW should win the Heisman this season or even be mentioned in the same breath as that award. Just one.

Also, you keep talking about "problems with QB play." What are those problems? Can't complete passes? Nope. He has an outstanding pass completion rate. Fumbles all the time? Nope. Is an interception machine? Nope. Is too dense or too lazy to study the playbook and see the field? Nope. So instead of being vague ("probelms with QB play"), you and the few that are with you on that train you're riding might oughta try forming a cogent argument. 

Out of likes, but completely agree

26 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Wow...way to cherry pick a statement. Actually... It's not the playbook so much as it is the "play calls" at times. Sean's completing passes, he's also making some bad throws too. He can't wish us into victory. I swear, it's like you guys want to ignore the other 10 guys on the field and put the troubles solely on SW. That's total bull****.

Adage: The QB gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Corollary 1: The average run of the mill fan tends to not really be a student of the game and often has little actual idea what they are talking about.

Corollary 2: For every complex problem there is an easy and simple solution that also happens to be wrong.

15 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

It was only the Texas A&M game where he was removed from the game because our offense "needed a shot in the arm." And guess what?

In that game, SW's completion percentage was sky high and he didn't throw an interception either. Completion percentage doesn't mean Jacksquat.

Yet, Lionheartkc says SW played "lights out" that game. 

5 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Adage: The QB gets too much credit for wins and too much credit despite the losses.

Put a little Auburn fanboy flavor into it. You're welcome.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe if you're comparing him to Nick Marshall.

As Stat pointed out, Sean is more accurate on deep throws than Cam was. Doesn't make his last name Manning, but this "he can't throw the deep ball" concept is bizarre to me. Almost as bizarre as saying that our red zone problems have all been his fault. Yes, the dude who still only has about half a full season's worth of healthy starts under his belt has made some mistakes. Imagine that. 

This is his 3rd year in the system. So saying he had made mistakes with half a season worth of stats doesn't really float here. I will ask you a question which SEC teams would trade their current qb for SW? I can name a few LSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and USC. Who else? I know UAT wouldn't and I very seriously doubt UGA would and they are starting true freshman. 

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Also, ironically, if the WR's didnt bail out the quarterback every now and then, there would have not been a near perfect percentage to begin with. Which is the problem in saying "if not for the drops." 

I don't get this concept of wide receivers bailing out the QB.  The QBs job is to place the ball where the wide receiver can catch it. If the wide receiver catches it, he's done his job.  Do you expect every pass to be right on the numbers?  This goes back to the whole conversation of "team sport"

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This is his 3rd year in the system. So saying he had made mistakes with half a season worth of stats doesn't really float here. I will ask you a question which SEC teams would trade their current qb for SW? I can name a few LSU, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and USC. Who else? I know UAT wouldn't and I very seriously doubt UGA would and they are starting true freshman. 

Yet Sean has better numbers than both bama and Georgia's QBs.  His QB rating is better than bama, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and South Carolina. Hmmmmmmm.....

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't get this concept of wide receivers bailing out the QB.

Understood. Which makes it laughable that people are going to declare that I don't understand basic football principles.  

Seriously, if a receiver is running a slant and the pass is behind them, they can either make an incredible adjustment or catch it one handed, or it's an incompletion. In the two former cases, the QB was bailed out.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Understood. Which makes it laughable that people are going to declare that I don't understand basic football principles.  

Seriously, if a receiver is running a slant and the pass is behind them, they can either make an incredible adjustment or catch it one handed, or it's an incompletion. In the two former cases, the QB was bailed out.

Yet the ball was catchable... In fact, there are a lot of times where the QB places a ball where the receiver has to work for it because it keeps it away from the defender... but the QB is still placing the ball where he knows his receiver can catch it.  Is it always the best placement, no.  Is it always where the QB intended to place it, no. But, once again, the QBs job is to place the ball where his receiver can make a play on it.  If the pass is complete, both players did their job. I see no "bailing out".

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Yet the ball was catchable... In fact, there are a lot of times where the QB places a ball where the receiver has to work for it because it keeps it away from the defender... but the QB is still placing the ball where he knows his receiver can catch it.  Is it always the best placement, no.  Is it always where the QB intended to place it, no. But, once again, the QBs job is to place the ball where his receiver can make a play on it.  If the pass is complete, both players did their job. I see no "bailing out".

lol. I'm starting to see why our receivers never receive any love.

As long as it's in the same zip code, it should be caught. Am I doing this right? 

20 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

-He didn't even get quality practice reps in 2014, much less any game reps. Was he even officially QB3 in '14?
-He didn't get a single game snap until the 4th game of 2015. 
-He was hurt the 2nd half of 2015.
-Did he even get half the snaps in the season opener this year?

Claiming "3rd year in the system" really, really doesn't float here. 

As for which other teams would trade their QB for him, I agree with the four you mention. As for those other two, no, UGA probably wouldn't trade their super duper recruit for Sean, and bama's been successful with every QB they've had for almost 10 years starting with John Parker Wilson, so who knows. Texas A&M probably wouldn't trade their guy who started a bowl game when Sean was still in high school. Not sure about Arkansas and their RS JR who at least saw action in 8 games over two seasons before this season- with two years as the backup to one guy running the same offense he is- but I imagine they might factor in that extra year of experience, sure. Nah, Ole Miss probably isn't going to trade their senior and 2nd-year full-time starter, who is probably the best QB in the league. Could Sean beat out the mighty Nick Fitzgerald at MSU? I'd be surprised if you told me for sure that he couldn't.

You made it clear in the offseason that you just really want a DT QB. You share that opinion with many. You even seem to have some inside info that the coaches would rather have a DT QB. That's fine- in fact, any coach with a brain would rather have a dual threat QB if the guy can actually play the position- but it seems that opinion is leading you and many others to make inaccurate observations about Sean White. 

I agree with you Jeff. There are times when a receiver makes an incredible catch to bail out a QB. As much as I would like my QB to be as accurate as possible, even more than that put the ball in the end zone. I think some on here think i am hating on SW. I just have not seen him lead the team to the end zone consistently enough. There are a number of factors included in that and a portion of that is Sean himself.

3 minutes ago, vhsandaufan said:

I agree with you Jeff. There are times when a receiver makes an incredible catch to bail out a QB. As much as I would like my QB to be as accurate as possible, even more than that put the ball in the end zone. I think some on here think i am hating on SW. I just have not seen him lead the team to the end zone consistently enough. There are a number of factors included in that and a portion of that is Sean himself.

110 percent agree. War Eagle!

I'll absolutely agree that a WR can bail out a QB. Duke Williams bailed out Nick Marshall several times in '14, and Ricardo Louis provided the bail out of all time the year before that. Darvin Adams bailed Cam out a couple times in 2010. 

Not one single WR bailed out either of our QBs last year.

It definitely goes both ways. Imagine how bad it sucked to be a WR at Auburn in '11 and '12. Probably about as crappy as it was to be Sean White in the red zone against Arkansas in 2015. 

39 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Miss State, LSU, Kentucky, Vandy, SCAR definitely would

UGA, Mizzou, UF all arguably might

Bama, aTm, Arky, Ole Mi$$, UTk definitely would not

4 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Georgia wouldn't trade away Eason. 

10 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Three seniors, a redshirt junior and a freshman on, by far, the most talented roster in the nation in that last group. 

12 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Mizzou QB leads the league in yards and has over a 165 QBR so I don't think they would consider it.

Archived