Let's talk about Sean

bigbird

Sometimes it's not the drop that matters so much as down and distance , where it is on the field and what we miss out on by not making those catches. It's understandable for them to drop some here and there, just as it is for a QB to miss a wide open receiver because he's too amped up or under pressure. Just saying, determining where and when these negative plays take place would tell the tale of our struggles. Regardless of who's doing or not doing what, it's needs to get cleaned up. That's what winning teams do. They fix the small stuff. Also...if the OL was gelling and performing well, highly doubtful we'd be having this conversation anyway.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, leglessdan said:

Sometimes it's not the drop that matters so much as down and distance , where it is on the field and what we miss out on by not making those catches. It's understandable for them to drop some here and there, just as it is for a QB to miss a wide open receiver because he's too amped up or under pressure. Just saying, determining where and when these negative plays take place would tell the tale of our struggles. Regardless of who's doing or not doing what, it's needs to get cleaned up. That's what winning teams do. They fix the small stuff. Also...if the OL was gelling and performing well, highly doubtful we'd be having this conversation anyway.

Tony Stevens is an interesting case. He can come up big on 3rd down plays, but he also will have that one terrible drop. He also tripped over himself while in stride lol. However, without him, we would be in some serious trouble. Give and take I guess.

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Not sure what thread we were discussing it in, but this is the play I was referring to when I said Sean took a sack on a play that was well called in the red-zone and executed pretty well. At the 4 and 5 second mark of this video, you will see Davis come open at the top of the screen heading to the back corner of the endzone. He is one on one with no help and has plenty of room for a pass over the top of the defender who goes under the route. SW looks right at him and starts to make the throw at the 6 second mark. Instead, he pulls it down and takes the sack at the 7 second mark.

Sean pulls the ball down because our player released his defender and the defender was coming at his head. Better blocking up front and then Sean has time to square his shoulders and make the correct throw. If he floated that ball and it was picked, everyone wold be furious at him.

Just now, DAG said:

Tony Stevens is an interesting case. He can come up big on 3rd down plays, but he also will have that one terrible drop. He also tripped over himself while in stride lol. However, without him, we would be in some serious trouble. Give and take I guess.

I'd like to see more of the young guys too. They may very well go out there and light it up in game environments.

Just now, aushrink said:

Sean pulls the ball down because our player released his defender and the defender was coming at his head. Better blocking up front and then Sean has time to square his shoulders and make the correct throw. If he floated that ball and it was picked, everyone wold be furious at him.

I mean in the RZ you are not going to get more than 3-4 seconds if you are lucky to get it off. Not saying this is SW fault one way or another but he did have about 4-5 seconds if I counted right. It didn't help that he was motioned to one side of the field.

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

Not sure what thread we were discussing it in, but this is the play I was referring to when I said Sean took a sack on a play that was well called in the red-zone and executed pretty well. At the 4 and 5 second mark of this video, you will see Davis come open at the top of the screen heading to the back corner of the endzone. He is one on one with no help and has plenty of room for a pass over the top of the defender who goes under the route. SW looks right at him and starts to make the throw at the 6 second mark. Instead, he pulls it down and takes the sack at the 7 second mark.

That got a liitle discussion in StatTiger's "Upon Further Review" thread. I commented in response to you here**. and McLoofus had another comment here. (It's a short thread at two pages, so not near so hard to wade through as the monster the SW thread is becoming. Anyone know the record for the longest non-game thread in the history of AUF? ;) )

**My comment from that thread: "If you're talking about the play I think you are on the roll out to the left, he never had his shoulders squared or time to get his feet set in any way to deliver that ball. I thought he should have thrown it away rather than take the sack, in his his post-game interview he said the same thing himself. But I don't know that I think he should have attempted that pass."

To which I'll add, looking at the clip you have embedded, I really don't ever see a receiver that even early in the play could be called "open." I think if SW tries to make that throw, it's an INT in the end zone. I'll stick with he should have thrown it away rather than take the sack.

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

To which I'll add, looking at the clip you have embedded, I really don't ever see a receiver that even early in the play could be called "open." I think if SW tries to make that throw, it's an INT in the end zone. I'll stick with he should have thrown it away rather than take the sack.

I it actually looks like he intended to throw it away, or at least go for the corner, but Godchaux came in so fast that it shocked him and he just protected the ball.

4 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

That got a liitle discussion in StatTiger's "Upon Further Review" thread. I commented in response to you here**. and McLoofus had another comment here. (It's a short thread at two pages, so not near so hard to wade through as the monster the SW thread is becoming. Anyone know the record for the longest non-game thread in the history of AUF? ;) )

**My comment from that thread: "If you're talking about the play I think you are on the roll out to the left, he never had his shoulders squared or time to get his feet set in any way to deliver that ball. I thought he should have thrown it away rather than take the sack, in his his post-game interview he said the same thing himself. But I don't know that I think he should have attempted that pass."

He had a split second window to throw it high to the back pylon...feet were not set and shoulders not turned though.  Not many QBs that could make that throw.

10 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

I'd like to see more of the young guys too. They may very well go out there and light it up in game environments.

Same here. A lot of potential among them. Slayton has been very impressive. Although, I am not surprised about this, I have to ask...where the heck is Jason Smith?

Well that's what football is....yeah it's harder to pass in the redzone....this is where arm strength matters a little more.  And you can't take a sack right there you have to get rid of it

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

11 more pages that's all I need. Come on............................

Sean White and a bag of Doritos...Compare and contrast.

4 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He had a split second window to throw it high to the back pylon...feet were not set and shoulders not turned though.  Not many QBs that could make that throw.

Yup. That's why in my linked response from the other thread I said "...he never had his shoulders squared or time to get his feet set in any way to deliver that ball."  Like I said before, the real mistake on that play to my mind was taking the sack instead of throwing it away.  That's the kind of mistake that he can learn from and correct though, and I'm sure he's studied the film and heard about it from CRL some too. (He also admitted in the post-game interview right after the game that taking that sack was a mistake.)

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Sean White and a bag of Doritos...Compare and contrast.

No way am I gonna take a taste of Sean White. Nope. Just ain't gonna do it. ;D

51 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Then my theory that Gus needs a good O-Line for his offense to work is totally shot.  I officially can't explain how he can do what he did at Tulsa and not do it here.

Different calibre of athletes? Maybe the uber athletic d ends in this league are messing stuff up. 

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

11 more pages that's all I need. Come on............................

Are you on commission?

Here you go. 

Auburn’s top priority? Fixing red zone woes

57e718029f765.image.jpg?resize=300%2C2491 image

Todd Van Emst/tvemst@oanow.com

Auburn quarterback Sean White looks to make a throw against LSU on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016 in Auburn. 

Updated 

The way Auburn’s victory over LSU ended in the final seconds last Saturday was memorable. It created another thrilling chapter in a storied rivalry. It made the purple-and-gold Tigers’ decision to fire longtime head coach Les Miles the next day all the more dramatic.

But it didn’t have to be that way.

Of the Auburn offense’s 11 drives Saturday, seven reached LSU territory and six reached the red zone. But none of them ended in touchdowns in offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee’s 2016 debut calling the plays.

Those drives resulted in six Daniel Carlson field goals and one failed fourth-and-goal run from the 1-yard line. Had any one of them ended in a touchdown, LSU likely would not have been in a position to win or even tie the game on its final drive.

That’s why Auburn’s top priority this week has been being more productive in the red zone, head coach Gus Malzahn said. Through four games, the Tigers’ rank 127th in the nation in red zone touchdown percentage, scoring just seven in 22 trips (31.82 percent).

The only team in the country with a worse mark is SMU, where Malzahn’s friend Chad Morris’ team has scored just three touchdowns in 18 trips (16.67 percent).

“That’s our No. 1 thing from an offensive standpoint that we have to solve,” Malzahn said. “We’re going to focus on that like crazy. You will see some different things in the red zone moving forward, put it that way.”

Red zone woes aren’t a problem Malzahn-coached teams have typically dealt with.

In his final year at Tulsa in 2008, the Golden Hurricane ranked eighth in the nation. In his one year at Arkansas State in 2012, the Red Wolves ranked 33rd. Auburn ranked 13th, 26th and 66th, respectively, while Malzahn was the offensive coordinator from 2009-11, then 13th, 40th and 52nd from 2013-15 after he became the head coach.

In each one of those seasons, Auburn scored touchdowns on at least 59 percent of red zone drives. This year, the Tigers’ offense has scored four touchdowns against Arkansas State and just three in their other three games combined.

So what’s changed?

“I think it’s all of the above,” Malzahn said. “It’s just an overall evaluation of all of the above. An evaluation of the scheme and what fits our players, the play calling and all of the above.”

Auburn ran 75 plays against LSU on Saturday totaling 388 yards. On the 59 it ran outside the red zone, it averaged 6.15 yards per play. On the 16 it ran in the red zone, it averaged 1.56.

Yes, much of that has to do with the shortened field. But of the 11 run plays and five pass plays Auburn called, none resulted in gains of more than seven yards and three went for no gain or a loss. Quarterback Sean White was 2 of 4 for 9 yards, and was sacked once for a loss of 8.

The Tigers called runs on all five of the first down plays they had inside the 20 and, despite converting 8 of 14 third downs outside the red zone, went 0 for 5 on third down inside.

One of those third downs came from the 1, when Kamryn Pettway was stopped for no gain on an up-the-middle handoff from White. Auburn went for it on fourth down that drive, but Kerryon Johnson was also stopped for no gain on a read-option keep.

“We just got to make plays,” Johnson said. “When you have the ball on the 1-yard line, it doesn’t matter what the coaches call or what the defense does. Whoever has the ball has to get in, and I didn’t. That’s the bottom line.”

Auburn should have a better chance this Saturday. Unlike Texas A&M and LSU defenses allowing touchdowns on 33.33 and 20 percent of red zone drives, respectively, Louisiana-Monroe allows touchdowns at a 56.25 percent clip.

The Tigers just have to make the plays.

“Right now we just keep crashing into a wall,” wide receiver Ryan Davis said. “Once we get through that wall, I feel like our offense is just going to take off to another level.”

http://m.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/auburn-s-top-priority-fixing-red-zone-woes/article_7adfe5dc-8679-11e6-a59a-9fd5974b949f.html?mode=jqm

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are you on commission?

Here you go. 

Auburn quarterback Sean White looks to make a throw against LSU on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016 in Auburn. 

Updated 

The way Auburn’s victory over LSU ended in the final seconds last Saturday was memorable. It created another thrilling chapter in a storied rivalry. It made the purple-and-gold Tigers’ decision to fire longtime head coach Les Miles the next day all the more dramatic.

But it didn’t have to be that way.

Of the Auburn offense’s 11 drives Saturday, seven reached LSU territory and six reached the red zone. But none of them ended in touchdowns in offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee’s 2016 debut calling the plays.

Those drives resulted in six Daniel Carlson field goals and one failed fourth-and-goal run from the 1-yard line. Had any one of them ended in a touchdown, LSU likely would not have been in a position to win or even tie the game on its final drive.

That’s why Auburn’s top priority this week has been being more productive in the red zone, head coach Gus Malzahn said. Through four games, the Tigers’ rank 127th in the nation in red zone touchdown percentage, scoring just seven in 22 trips (31.82 percent).

The only team in the country with a worse mark is SMU, where Malzahn’s friend Chad Morris’ team has scored just three touchdowns in 18 trips (16.67 percent).

“That’s our No. 1 thing from an offensive standpoint that we have to solve,” Malzahn said. “We’re going to focus on that like crazy. You will see some different things in the red zone moving forward, put it that way.”

Red zone woes aren’t a problem Malzahn-coached teams have typically dealt with.

In his final year at Tulsa in 2008, the Golden Hurricane ranked eighth in the nation. In his one year at Arkansas State in 2012, the Red Wolves ranked 33rd. Auburn ranked 13th, 26th and 66th, respectively, while Malzahn was the offensive coordinator from 2009-11, then 13th, 40th and 52nd from 2013-15 after he became the head coach.

In each one of those seasons, Auburn scored touchdowns on at least 59 percent of red zone drives. This year, the Tigers’ offense has scored four touchdowns against Arkansas State and just three in their other three games combined.

So what’s changed?

“I think it’s all of the above,” Malzahn said. “It’s just an overall evaluation of all of the above. An evaluation of the scheme and what fits our players, the play calling and all of the above.”

Auburn ran 75 plays against LSU on Saturday totaling 388 yards. On the 59 it ran outside the red zone, it averaged 6.15 yards per play. On the 16 it ran in the red zone, it averaged 1.56.

Yes, much of that has to do with the shortened field. But of the 11 run plays and five pass plays Auburn called, none resulted in gains of more than seven yards and three went for no gain or a loss. Quarterback Sean White was 2 of 4 for 9 yards, and was sacked once for a loss of 8.

The Tigers called runs on all five of the first down plays they had inside the 20 and, despite converting 8 of 14 third downs outside the red zone, went 0 for 5 on third down inside.

One of those third downs came from the 1, when Kamryn Pettway was stopped for no gain on an up-the-middle handoff from White. Auburn went for it on fourth down that drive, but Kerryon Johnson was also stopped for no gain on a read-option keep.

“We just got to make plays,” Johnson said. “When you have the ball on the 1-yard line, it doesn’t matter what the coaches call or what the defense does. Whoever has the ball has to get in, and I didn’t. That’s the bottom line.”

Auburn should have a better chance this Saturday. Unlike Texas A&M and LSU defenses allowing touchdowns on 33.33 and 20 percent of red zone drives, respectively, Louisiana-Monroe allows touchdowns at a 56.25 percent clip.

The Tigers just have to make the plays.

“Right now we just keep crashing into a wall,” wide receiver Ryan Davis said. “Once we get through that wall, I feel like our offense is just going to take off to another level.”

http://m.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/auburn-s-top-priority-fixing-red-zone-woes/article_7adfe5dc-8679-11e6-a59a-9fd5974b949f.html?mode=jqm

What changed? SEC play instead of Arkansas state haha

Just now, DAG said:

The thought of how we are going to be the greatest offense ever this week and comments. Best qb ever, best wr's, the wr coaching will be off the charts, Hastings will be back to being the greatest, we'll have two heismen on the team. It's going to be awesome

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The author really downplayed Gus's problems in the RZ. He had the problems last year as well.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are you on commission?

Here you go. 

Humm..... and you did a great job keep it up

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

The author really downplayed Gus's problems in the RZ. He had the problems last year as well.

Yep, actually it seemed to really begin during 2014 year, even when we had NM. I remember Miss State absolutely torturing us in the RZ. It really killed our momentum. 

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

The thought of how we are going to be the greatest offense ever this week and comments. Best qb ever, best wr's, the wr coaching will be off the charts, Hastings will be back to being the greatest, we'll have two heismen on the team. It's going to be awesome

The honeymoon phase will return this weekend. Maybe, we can take that momentum to SEC play the next week. IMO, there is no excuse to lose to Miss State or Arkansas for that matter. Eventhough, I will say AA is playing lights out and doing a lot more with less. I am very impressed with him.

30 minutes ago, DAG said:

I mean in the RZ you are not going to get more than 3-4 seconds if you are lucky to get it off. Not saying this is SW fault one way or another but he did have about 4-5 seconds if I counted right. It didn't help that he was motioned to one side of the field.

3-4 seconds is on a drop back pass. A rollout tends to be a slower developing play. And as I have said before, Sean's feet are not set, his shoulders are not square and if a receiver is actually open for more than a fraction of a second, I don't see it. Throwing right there is asking for an INT. The sack was not smart, but I don't think trying to make that pass under those circumstances would have been smart either.

Archived