A Head Coach Challenge

StatTiger

34 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

A bit like Martin Luther's decree nailed on the door of his nearby church back in the 1400s.  Does anyone believe that any coach or player reads our posts on this site?

There's at least one on the staff that does.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I kind of follow what you are saying... No, telling him he has to evolve is not making him a "yes man".  Telling him he has to run a specific scheme, recruit specific players, etc would be making him a "yes man".  Pointing out that the rest of the college football world is adapting and he needs to adapt or die is just being honest with him. 

I don't think Rhett is a "yes man" either. I don't even think he is a bad OC. What I think it that he and Gus being together isn't doing any good for either because it keeps them in a silo of their own creation.  All Rhett has really known is Gus, so he has had no opportunity to learn from others.  All Gus has really known is Rhett, so he has also had limited opportunity to learn from others (Hand potentially being an exception).

The best way to grow is to surround yourself with people who have different ideas, and be open to those ideas. Telling a coach that he needs to do that is nothing more than doing what's best for the team. Hopefully, seeing what Steele did with our D will open Gus up to that on the O.

The problem with using wins as the only measurement of success is that you aren't taking into account that a great player (like Stidham has the potential to be) can cover up for a lot of issues, and when that player leaves, you crash and burn (see Dan Mullen). At the same time, laying down some arbitrary level of performance expectation and then firing someone without outlining the points of failure that have been identified and giving them the opportunity to correct them (an ultimatum, if you must) is just bad management.

lionheart, thank you that's exactly what I was trying to say. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

There's at least one on the staff that does.

Hey Bird! Which coach are you talking about? This would be good to know.

5 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Bird! Which coach are you talking about? This would be good to know.

Not gonna put that out there

Just now, bigbird said:

Is it a defense coach or offensive coach? This does not single out anyone.

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Is it a defense coach or offensive coach? This does not single out anyone.

Does he frequent Waffle House when we win?

• Like 1

When we travel to New Orleans and Roswell, NM, we always try to find a Sam's Club on our route to fill up with gas and take a peeze break. We stopped  at the Sam's Club near Auburn in Opelika I think.

The Iron Bowl was on the TVs in the multi-media section. It was near the end of the 1st quarter. I was appalled to see at least 3 or 4 bammer fans who worked for Sam's. This was in such bad taste. If I was the general manager at that store, being an Auburn fan would be my first requirement for being hired. A bammer working there is likely a poor worker who cannot spell turd. I think I will call Uncle Donald and tell him about this!

Gus and Rhett's play calling stunk all year. Something has to give so we won't have to go through that awful smell again in 2017.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus and Rhett's play calling stunk all year. Something has to give so we won't have to go through that awful smell again in 2017.

Let me guess bring in Kendall and Barbie

• Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 0:52 PM, doc4aday said:

A bit like Martin Luther's decree nailed on the door of his nearby church back in the 1400s.  Does anyone believe that any coach or player reads our posts on this site?

Hi Doc, actually it was 1517 (1600s), Oct. 31st, 1517 in Whittenberg, Germany. In Reformed circles, within Christianity, October 31st is known as Reformation Day. In fact, this coming year marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Lots of things planned to celebrate it! 

2 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

Hi Doc, actually it was 1517 (1600s), Oct. 31st, 1517 in Whittenberg, Germany. In Reformed circles, within Christianity, October 31st is known as Reformation Day. In fact, this coming year marks the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Lots of things planned to celebrate it! 

Well goodness had no idea..........does that mean lots of beer drinking?????

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Well goodness had no idea..........does that mean lots of beer drinking?????

Well, Luther was German!

18 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

That is cool information. I usually have bits and pieces of information here and there, but not all of the facts!

33 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

That is cool information. I usually have bits and pieces of information here and there, but not all of the facts!

Ha! I know what you mean! I think it is pretty cool, so that's why I shared it! 

WDE!

On 12/2/2016 at 3:42 PM, bigbird said:

Come on.... We all know it's Gus. :big:

• Like 1