Auburn to Sugar vs. Oklahoma

WarTiger

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't think of any non-SEC coach I'd like to embarrass more than Bob Stoops. He's never moved past that delusional Gator self image and belittling classlessness. Our secondary needs to play its best game of the year and keep Westbrook from making big plays if our d-line doesn't get to Mayfield every single play. Stating the obvious, if Sean, Petway & Kerryon are not ALL 100% it may be a very sour experience for us. If they're in mid season form we can embarrass the Stoop.

Fwiw, every butthurt LSU fan on the planet will be looking forward to belching corndog breath on any Auburn fan they find in or around NOLA. Be safe, AU folks heading to the Big Sleezy.

I'm stoked we are heading to the Sugar Bowl to play OU.

Talking heads will be hyping us up all month, praising our form during our 6-game streak and explaining away the UGA loss as a bad case of the injury bug. I'm not making a statement on the veracity of these arguments, just predicting this is how the hype machine will spin it . . . and it will be good for visibility and recruiting whether it is true or not..

And if we upset the blue blood champ of the weakest P5 conference, even better.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If I'm right, the last time Auburn played Oklahoma was on Jan. 1, 1971 in the Sugar bowl. We lost 40-22. I pray and hope our coaches will do something they haven't been to do much of this season. That is have the players fired up and take Oklahoma down. And if we somehow jump out to a 21 point lead or more, Malzahn and Lashlee doesn't take their foot off the gas. But if we keep going 3 plays and punt or turn the ball over, Oklahoma will kill us.

Actually it was Jan. 1, 1972. The game was played in Tulane Stadium in those days. I was there as Okie QB Jack Mildren ran the wishbone to perfection and we were never in the game. We were behind 31-0 at halftime and lost 40-19. It could have been worse. I was also at the 1984 game when Al Del Greco kicked three field goals as we beat Michigan 9-7. I did graduate work at OK but will be pulling 100% for AU. I think the game will come down to how well we are able to stop their passing. That is the biggest weakness on our defense.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/12/a_look_back_at_auburns_sugar_b.html#0

6 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I wonder what the tune of this board will be when we put 40+ on Okie...

LOL...I'll buy you a few beers and  Perry's steak...your ante?

38 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Steak at Perry's?  You're doing it wrong man!  It's all about the pork chop there.

perrys-pork-chop-e1465421113549.jpg

Just win, baby! Just win!

If Pettway is 100% we rush for 300 yards plus. Their run defense is weak. 

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

Best I can do is like... Chipotle so something. Times are tough.

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Best I can do is like... Chipotle so something. Times are tough.

Pawn-Stars-Rich_240.jpg

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

ahhhhhh classic tubbershell game.

War Eagle! I am happy for AU football players and fans! Hope to be happy for the coaches after witnessing AU was really ready & playcalling was not embarrassing again. I honestly think this game will be decided by AU coaching. Our players deserve a solid win against a top team like OK. 

... & I hope bamr chokes against Washington!!!

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Just win, baby! Just win!

If Pettway is 100% we rush for 300 yards plus. Their run defense is weak. 

I agree but how many yards will Heisman finalist Baker Mayfield have? I love our D but he is the best QB we have seen all season. If y'all think Kelly showed out wait till BM and DeDe show out... This game is gonna be very very tough. Any chance our hurt dbs are back ??? We should be pretty healthy and we're gonna need to be. Mixon and Perine are very good backs also. Turnovers will kill us. Must win turnover battle.

We better learn how to defend that quick dump pass and slant route pass that Chad Kelly used to light up our secondary or Baker Mayfield will have a field day. We're pretty decent against the deep ball, but it always seems those quick, mid field passes are the ones that hurt us the most. Our run defense is pretty solid. I think we match up well against Oklahoma as long as we clean some stuff up with the secondary. Should be a good game. War Eagle. 

I am excited!! We did not have many good breaks this season, and it was about time that a break goes our way in Sugar Bowl!

I am positive we will return everyone healthy, plus hopefully few recruits enrolling early (like Stidham), our extra bowl practice preparation will do wonders for next season. Throw in a win, and we are picking up steam. 

WAR EAGLE

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So you guys are happy that we're playing Oklahoma?

Yes, but nervous too. Happy for our players, who played hard this year, but nervous because our coaches have shown on several occasions this year that they are in over their heads and not ready to coach at this level.

18 hours ago, WinningTradition said:

I think we had a good season. Considering how we started the year we pulled it out. The worst part was a loss to Georgia that shouldn't have happened.

Though no longer relevant to us, the Committee did seem to settle our debate (back then)

as to whether a one-loss team would jump a 2-loss conference champion that beat them.

47 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Yes, but nervous too. Happy for our players, who played hard this year, but nervous because our coaches have shown on several occasions this year that they are in over their heads and not ready to coach at this level.

And there you have it in a nutshell. When the team wins fans say it's because of great players and when the team loses fans say it's because of bad coaching. That is a truism from tee ball through the professional sports. If you can't handle that line of thinking, don't ever get into coaching at any level. Professional coaches know this and it rolls off their backs like water off a duck. However, some dads and moms get shocked by this attitude when they first try helping with Son's baseball or Daughter's soccer. Be ready for it, because that's how it works.

Archived