I think LSU/Coach O just made a good hire for their

AUIH1

OC position in Canada (former OC at Pitt).  I give Coach O credit, he kept Aranda as DC which was huge and now has made a quality OC hire.  

wde

I'm taking a wait and see on this one.  The guy has a pretty good track record, but I'm not sure his style is going to be a good fit for LSU in SEC play.  It may also depend on how he fills out his staff.

Agreed very good hire IMO. LSU could be quite the beast with coach O recruiting and coordinators that can handle the schematic part. 

Yep...LSU stepped up their game with this hire IMO....no more Saban-lite from their offense.  A team to be reckoned with next year if they can solve their QB problem.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/lsu-names-pitts-matt-canada-as-its-new-offensive-coordinator-143836970.html

53 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I wonder how this hire affects Lowell Narcisse:dunno:

It's kind of up in the air. He hasn't coached an offense that utilizes a dual-threat, to this point, so that could push him away.  At the same time, his offenses have been pretty prolific, so that may make Narcisse want to give him a shot.  My gut tells me that he's going to have to sell Narcisse, if he wants him, which he may not. He might want pocket passers.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm taking a wait and see on this one.  The guy has a pretty good track record, but I'm not sure his style is going to be a good fit for LSU in SEC play.  It may also depend on how he fills out his staff.

Agree.  He had a very good year at Pitt, but this is his third team in 3 years.  He was fired at NCST the year before for "not utilizing the talent they had".  When Bert left Wisky, he opted not to bring him to Ark.  He hasn't seemed to draw much interest as HC material which is also interesting for a "successful" P5 OC these days. Of course, LSU has way more talent than he has ever had available to him, other than having no decent QBs on the team.

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This...he got canned at NCST..put up big numbers, but it was in the ACC...so I am in wait and see mode as well

9 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

This...he got canned at NCST..put up big numbers, but it was in the ACC...so I am in wait and see mode as well

He's going to have heads and shoulders better talent at his disposal than he's ever had in his coaching career.  He's going to have a top level defense to compliment his offense, and some of the best facilities and support staff in the country.  Canada has to be licking his chops to get his hands on those RBs, WRs and especially the TEs (he uses the TE heavily in his offense.)  Ed O made a good hire IMO, and if he'll let the man do is job LSU will challenge for the West.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

He's going to have heads and shoulders better talent at his disposal than he's ever had in his coaching career.  He's going to have a top level defense to compliment his offense, and some of the best facilities and support staff in the country.  Canada has to be licking his chops to get his hands on those RBs, WRs and especially the TEs (he uses the TE heavily in his offense.)  Ed O made a good hire IMO, and if he'll let the man do is job LSU will challenge for the West.

No doubt he's got to be stoked about the talent he will have at his disposal. My questions are more about his scheme than anything else.  Even bama is moving to more of a dual-threat, fast paced, spread type of offense. He's known for being primarily pro-style and has never run his QB.  It make me wonder if he's not going to suffer a similar fate as Bielema, trying to plug Big-10 schemes into the SEC.

49 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

No doubt he's got to be stoked about the talent he will have at his disposal. My questions are more about his scheme than anything else.  Even bama is moving to more of a dual-threat, fast paced, spread type of offense. He's known for being primarily pro-style and has never run his QB.  It make me wonder if he's not going to suffer a similar fate as Bielema, trying to plug Big-10 schemes into the SEC.

Except he was in the ACC at Pitt.....and got a good QB nailed down on day #2  a pro-style kid who had flirted with OM while committed to LSU but looks solid there.  I see no reason why a pro-style QB can't win in the SEC if he has the arm and receivers.   

Just now, AU64 said:

Except he was in the ACC at Pitt.....and got a good QB nailed down on day #2  a pro-style kid who had flirted with OM while committed to LSU but looks solid there.  I see no reason why a pro-style QB can't win in the SEC if he has the arm and receivers.   

Me either... as long as the scheme he's playing in can handle SEC Defenses.

14 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Me either... as long as the scheme he's playing in can handle SEC Defenses.

An interesting point....these days I'm not sure which SEC defenses are considered exceptional.....and I figure that some of the poor offenses in the conferences have allowed many SEC teams to rack up pretty good defensive numbers.    I saw Pitt play a few games this year...or part of some games and their O looked pretty lively...might be interesting with the talent LSU will make available to him.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

An interesting point....these days I'm not sure which SEC defenses are considered exceptional.....and I figure that some of the poor offenses in the conferences have allowed many SEC teams to rack up pretty good defensive numbers.    I saw Pitt play a few games this year...or part of some games and their O looked pretty lively...might be interesting with the talent LSU will make available to him.

Yea... the way I see it, it could go either way.  He could either reinvigorate LSU's O, or he could have a QB that's running for his life against Bama, AU, etc. Gotta say... I hope for the latter.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... the way I see it, it could go either way.  He could either reinvigorate LSU's O, or he could have a QB that's running for his life against Bama, AU, etc. Gotta say... I hope for the latter.

I hope for the very latter, running for his life against AU, and running wild against bama.  Sounds better to me ?

Not sure everyone read the article all the way to the bottom but you should be excited if your an LSU about this language.

“Coach O and Joe have been very clear about what they expect,” said Canada. “With the talent already here and what we will recruit, we can put together one of the best offenses in the country. We’re going to develop quarterbacks, score points and bring some excitement to the offense here at LSU.”

46 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

Not sure everyone read the article all the way to the bottom but you should be excited if your an LSU about this language.

That's exactly what LSU needs.  Miles' offense was too predictable and he was too stubborn to get innovative or creative with the play calling.  For years, he refused to step back and let his OC take control of the offense.  He got too conservative and tried to force his offensive philosophy; then he'd just revert back to the run and wouldn't let the passing game have a chance to blossom.  It became obvious after last years near miss firing that Les was a Tiger incapable of changing his stripes and LSU had no choice but to can him.  

Miles is a great man, and a wonderful human being/family man - but he was getting paid a king's ransom to contend for the West every year and LSU gave him ample opportunities to  field a productive/effective offense.  In the end, he proved that with tons of talent at his disposal he just couldn't do it.

Keep in mind that Cam Cameron was getting paid about1.5M as OC....and Les did not get much for his money

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Keep in mind that Cam Cameron was getting paid about1.5M as OC....and Les did not get much for his money

Les and Cam were best buddy's, best man at this wedding,etc.  Les no longer had any leverage with LSU left and he couldn't sacrifice his best friend to save his job this time.  Les had already proven with multiple OC's prior to Cam that he couldn't evolve his offense and couldn't develop a QB.

Auburn will find themselves in a similar situation if Gus/Rhett continue down the path they've chosen for the past 2 seasons.  The juvenile and often times inept play calling coupled with an inability to develop a QB, and questionable roster management could be Gus' undoing if he doesn't wake up and make changes.

41 minutes ago, keesler said:

Les and Cam were best buddy's, best man at this wedding,etc.  Les no longer had any leverage with LSU left and he couldn't sacrifice his best friend to save his job this time.  Les had already proven with multiple OC's prior to Cam that he couldn't evolve his offense and couldn't develop a QB.

Auburn will find themselves in a similar situation if Gus/Rhett continue down the path they've chosen for the past 2 seasons.  The juvenile and often times inept play calling coupled with an inability to develop a QB, and questionable roster management could be Gus' undoing if he doesn't wake up and make changes.

Considering what Les got for his money with Cam....RL is grossly underpaid  :)  

But football is the most nepotistic (is that a word ?) business of any I know...everyone looking after their best friends and protégés and paying them inflated salaries when they can get away with it  But in the end, hardly any HC goes down with the ship if he can help it...and friendship can only go so far.  I expect that's the situation here too.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But in the end, hardly any HC goes down with the ship if he can help it...and friendship can only go so far.  I expect that's the situation here too.

At the same time, when you are making 1-6 million/year... it doesn't take many years before you get into "go ahead fire me... I don't need the money" mode.

Archived