Softball opens #2 in country

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/spec-rel/013117aaa.html

12400432.jpeg

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Fresh off the greatest season in program history, including a trip to the Women's College World Series Championship Series, the Auburn softball team will begin the 2017 campaign at No. 2, according to the USA Today/NFCA Division I Preseason Coaches Poll released Tuesday morning.

The Tigers' No. 2 ranking is their highest preseason mark ever and is the same position in which they closed the 2016 season.

The back-to-back SEC Tournament champions and WCWS participants have a loaded schedule this upcoming season. Auburn is set to face 10 opponents in the annual preseason poll, including three in the top five.

No. 2 Auburn tangles with No. 1 Oklahoma to kick off the 2017 season in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, Feb. 9. The battle between the highest ranked teams is set for 1 p.m. and can be seen on ESPNU. The Tigers then face off with No. 13 Washington later that evening at 7 p.m., which will be available on the WatchESPN app.

Auburn welcomes three ranked teams to Jane B. Moore Field as No. 14 James Madison (Feb. 25-26), No. 4 LSU (March 10-12) and No. 17 Missouri (April 14-16) are set to make their way to The Plains this season.

The Tigers will be battle-tested this season as they hit the road for tilts with No. 15 Tennessee (March 14), No. 25 USF (March 17), No. 4 Florida (March 25-27), No. 12 Georgia (March 31-April 2) and No. 7 Alabama (May 5-7).

Auburn opens the season across the border, but then entertains 21 consecutive home games beginning with SIU-Edwardsville, Feb. 16.

USA Today/NFCA Division I Coaches Poll

Rank Team Points 2016 Record 2016 Rk.
1. Oklahoma (32) 800 57-8 1
2. Auburn 745 58-12 2
3. Florida State 683 55-10 4
t4. Florida 671 56-7 8
t4. LSU 671 52-18 3
6. Michigan 655 52-7 5
7. Alabama 633 51-14 6
8. UCLA 534 40-16-1 9
9. Oregon 484 48-10 10
10. Arizona 466 40-21 14
11. Louisiana-Lafayette 444 46-9 12
12. Georgia 435 46-20 7
13. Washington 430 39-15 13
14. James Madison 418 50-6 11
15. Tennessee 331 43-16 17
16. Minnesota 295 43-14 20
17. Missouri 271 42-16 15
18. Utah 266 36-21 16
19. Texas A&M 258 39-20 19
20. Kentucky 250 46-14 18
21. Baylor 171 45-14 21
22. Notre Dame 121 43-13 23
23. Florida Atlantic 87 51-9 24
24. Fresno State 65 42-12-1 22
25. USF 47 45-16 25

Awesome.  It would be great to get doubleheader wins among top 15 teams to open the season, including #1.

Glad others are seeing the talent this team has coming this year.  I guess it is the difference of national coaches versus SEC coaches as SEC has us 2nd behind Florida,yet in the national pole we are 2 places ahead of them and 2nd overall.

Either way is great progress for the team.  And maybe this year we can win the regular season as well as the SEC tourney in route to winning it all at the WCWS!

will be number 1 after this weekend when they sweep through this tourney. Football and basketball I have little to no confidence when we play games and am a nervous wreck. Football because of the head coach. Basketball because of our snakebitten history (bruce pearl is the real deal though yo!) but softball? Man! I think we are going to win every game. Clint Myers is the GOAT. He will win AU many national titles before he hangs it up for good and retires. Not a doubt in my mind. Its so nice to go in to every game knowing we will have a great game plan be well prepared and no one will out coach AU.

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

will be number 1 after this weekend when they sweep through this tourney.

Likely not gonna happen. OU is returning nearly everybody including their ace pitcher. We will go 3-1 or 2-2 IMO.

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Clint Myers...will win AU many national titles before he hangs it up for good and retires. Not a doubt in my mind.

Don't think so. He brought his sons with him with the intent on coaching 5-7 years before retiring & letting them take the reigns. We are entering year 4 of that now.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Likely not gonna happen. OU is returning nearly everybody including their ace pitcher. We will go 3-1 or 2-2 IMO.

Don't think so. He brought his sons with him with the intent on coaching 5-7 years before retiring & letting them take the reigns. We are entering year 4 of that now.

Thanks....was wondering about who OK had back....thinking this event might just be a preview of the WCWS later this year.  

Nice thing about softball, the top teams don't dodge anyone in an effort the build a great W-L at the expense of cupcakes.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

I stand by what I said. He will many many national titles before he is done at Auburn regardless of him not coaching that many years here. Enjoy it e. Enjoy the ride!!! WOOOOOO! WAR DAMN CLINT MYERS! THE GOAT!

I, too, have that feeling Auburn is going to pull it out in any game they play.  They proved it several times during their championship run.  Coming back against FSU(or maybe Georgia?) and OK (in game 2) from big deficits.  It is nice to have that hope in a game.  It keeps you tuned in.  It makes it sooo much fun to watch.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

OU is returning nearly everybody including their ace pitcher

Do we know if Parker is starting?  I hope so.  Another chance to see her could help us down the road.

12 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Do we know if Parker is starting?  I hope so.  Another chance to see her could help us down the road.

There's no reason for her not to barring an injury.

Archived