Jacobs Hired Another Search Firm

PowerOfDixieland

He can't take a dump without hiring a search firm.  Did he really need that to find Chip Lindsey, or is he just interested in covering his ass every time he makes a move?  He couldn't be any more gutless.  

When Auburn began its 10-day search for a new offensive coordinator after Rhett Lashlee left for UConn on Jan. 12, athletic director Jay Jacobs hired a search firm to get coach Gus Malzahn a list of candidates.  It came back with “20 to 25” names. Malzahn narrowed them down to Chip Lindsey.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/ad-jay-jacobs-auburn-hired-search-firm-to-come-up/article_e64b1c76-ea5e-11e6-bb08-8f680f09a921.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think it is common place.  Why not have a firm also provide options outside of the front runner.  If the front runner is the best option one can always fallback to that.   It makes good business since to me.  As well as also creates conversations for potential backfil later.  

One should never just interview one candidate.  

I would think this is needed unless you only want to look at one or two guys. You need to, not only see who you want but see who is interested and who can be practically considered. I would think to do it right it there is a little more involved that here is a list I found on the internet. 

An AD should always have a list of replacements. It should be constantly updated and be ready to use.  JJ doesn't ever seem to have one or have the ability to generate one with out help.

For a brief announcement, 

didn't it seem to include a veritable

whirlpool of cross currents?

“It’s important that Gus hires who he wants to hire>>>>

“I think it’s important that if Gus finally puts down the headset and lets somebody else call the plays^^^^^

“He has to make decisions what he thinks is best for this program,> v < ^

Would love to see the 20-25 names the Search Firm gave Jacobs. 

Did Auburn hire a search firm when searching for a new DC?

When the new president is hired, he needs to procure the services of a search firm to find Jacobs replacement.

9 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Same old POD doing the same old thing.  What's wrong with hiring a search firm? Nothing that I can see. You need better material, man.

His job is to run the athletic department.  To hire competent coaches to run their programs.  Not to hire someone else to babysit.  He is the Mickiest Mouse of AD's ever. Man.

Everyone knew CRL was on the way out. He couldn't get hired last year, so they helped him get hired this year. But any head coach who knows an assistant is leaving (1) has a list of top prospects and (2) has those names vetted by the administration before the vacancy occurs.

There are two possible reasons Jacobs gets directly involved in the search and hiring of assistant coaches. (1) Jacobs and the big donors have lost confidence in CGM and now feel it necessary to step in and take charge in the process. And/or (2) CGM had told Jacobs he wanted to hire Briles, in which case Jacobs slapped him down and had the search firm create a list that did not include Briles.

I'm inclined to think it was the first reason. CGM is no longer the genius wonder coach. He's dangling by a thread.

JMO

2 minutes ago, AURex said:

Everyone knew CRL was on the way out. He couldn't get hired last year, so they helped him get hired this year. But any head coach who knows an assistant is leaving (1) has a list of top prospects and (2) has those names vetted by the administration before the vacancy occurs.

There are two possible reasons Jacobs gets directly involved in the search and hiring of assistant coaches. (1) Jacobs and the big donors have lost confidence in CGM and now feel it necessary to step in and take charge in the process. And/or (2) CGM had told Jacobs he wanted to hire Briles, in which case Jacobs slapped him down and had the search firm create a list that did not include Briles.

I'm inclined to think it was the first reason. CGM is no longer the genius wonder coach. He's dangling by a thread.

JMO

Gus is in over his head, but he is much closer to the surface than Jay Jacobs ever will be.

wde

Ah, but JJ has to deal with the big donors. If CGM were winning and demonstrating that he really is the great wizard of offense, JJ would not have the big donors breathing down his neck. As things stand now, JJ and the heavy hitters no longer have confidence in CGM, so JJ is obliged to step in. He can't just rubber stamp whatever CGM prefers.

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

Ah, but JJ has to deal with the big donors. If CGM were winning and demonstrating that he really is the great wizard of offense, JJ would not have the big donors breathing down his neck. As things stand now, JJ and the heavy hitters no longer have confidence in CGM, so JJ is obliged to step in. He can't just rubber stamp whatever CGM prefers.

Agree, but Jay Jacobs owns the Gus experiment just like he owns the Chizik experience.

wde

On 2/4/2017 at 3:34 PM, AUIH1 said:

Agree, but Jay Jacobs owns the Gus experiment just like he owns the Chizik experience.

wde

Yeah? And what's your point? Going back to 2009 there have been a total of three teams to win the SEC Championship in football. Two SEC teams have won national championships in that span, and three have played for national championships (one a rematch of an SEC regular season game.).

Alabama - SEC Champs 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 (National champs 2009, 2011, 2015. Lost in the playoff first round 2014 to tOSU, lost in championship game 2016)
AU - SEC Champs 2010, 2013 (BCS National Champs 2010, lost to FSU in 2013)
LSU - SEC Champs 2011  (Lost the rematch in the BCS with bammer in 2011.)

Prior to JJ and Chiz and Malzahn, AU's last "recognized" national championship? 1957.

Has it been a perfectly smooth ride? Nope. But neither has it been a total disaster save for Chiz's last year in 2012.  AU just happens to be competing in the SEC at the same time that bammer has a $aban ally in charge at the NCAA (Emert) and has the REC organized and in full extra benefit mode in a way that no other team will be allowed to do.

I don't get the JJ hate. I just don't. Considering what our Tigers have been up against, and considering history. the seven seasons since 2009 (outside of that 2012 thing) have been just not been the disaster that some want to make them out to be. Again, from above, the only team with more than one SEC Championship and a national championship and the opportunity to play for another not named Alabama is....our AU Tigers.  Not Florida. Not LSU. Not UGA. Not Tennessee. Auburn.

27 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yeah? And what's your point? Going back to 2009 there have been a total of three teams to win the SEC Championship in football. Two SEC teams have won national championships in that span, and three have played for national championships (one a rematch of an SEC regular season game.).

Alabama - SEC Champs 2009, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016 (National champs 2009, 2011, 2015. Lost in the playoff first round 2014 to tOSU, lost in championship game 2016)

Prior to JJ and Chiz and Malzahn, AU's last "recognized" national championship? 1957.

Has it been a perfectly smooth ride? Nope. But neither has it been a total disaster save for Chiz's last year in 2012.  AU just happens to be competing in the SEC at the same time that bammer has a $aban ally in charge at the NCAA (Emert) and has the REC organized and in full extra benefit mode in a way that no other team will be allowed to do.

I don't get the JJ hate. I just don't. Considering what our Tigers have been up against, and considering history. the seven seasons since 2009 (outside of that 2012 thing) have been just not been the disaster that some want to make them out to be. Again, from above, the only team with more than one SEC Championship and a national championship and the opportunity to play for another is....our AU Tigers.  Not Florida. Not LSU. Not UGA. Not Tennessee. Auburn.

I can agree with this...not sure where all the hate comes from...JJ gets all the blame when things look bad but no credit when things are good...hiring search firms is a common practice not sure how that makes someone incompetent...

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

An AD should always have a list of replacements. It should be constantly updated and be ready to use.  JJ doesn't ever seem to have one or have the ability to generate one with out help.

Couldn't the same thing be said about Gus or any HC for that matter -- that he should have a list of potential replacements for his assistant coaches ready for contingencies?  I seem to recall that Tuberville (when he was here) had made that comment. 

10 minutes ago, AUloggerhead said:

Couldn't the same thing be said about Gus or any HC for that matter -- that he should have a list of potential replacements for his assistant coaches ready for contingencies?  I seem to recall that Tuberville (when he was here) had made that comment. 

Gus had a list.

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

I don't get the JJ hate. I just don't. Considering what our Tigers have been up against, and considering history. the seven seasons since 2009 (outside of that 2012 thing) have been just not been the disaster that some want to make them out to be. Again, from above, the only team with more than one SEC Championship and a national championship and the opportunity to play for another is....our AU Tigers.  Not Florida. Not LSU. Not UGA. Not Tennessee. Auburn.

Archived