2018 4* LB Channing Tindall

ellitor

Keith Marshall was a 5*, too, right? 700+ yards as a true freshman.

Also, Sony Michel got over 200 carries as a freshman in 2015 because Marshall and Chubb were both hurt. RB3 got 26 carries against us that year. They won the game.

That's where this stuff matters to me. I'll take KJ over anybody. KP did really well in our offense. But when I hear people tell me that Barrett needs another year, or that KMart and Miller aren't capable, it makes me sick. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

That is all I was saying and what I thought the argument was about.

There has been a thousand arguments about the number of carries our backs should have throughout multiple threads. Ask Loofus, he should know what the argument is about given that he’s participated in every one of them.  If there is an argument that Georgia’s backs are more talented, that is different. I do believe they are more talented but then again, they have won recruiting battles against us.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But when I hear people tell me that Barrett needs another year, or that KMart and Miller aren't capable, it makes me sick. 

K Mart and Malik Miller weren’t feature back material last year. If they were, Gus would’ve utilized them in their sophomore year in the SECCG. They had plenty of garbage time to get their feet wet. They had plenty of practice time to know their assignments but they still didn’t gain their confidence of their HC. There are reasons for that. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

There has been a thousand arguments about the number of carries our backs should have throughout multiple threads. Ask Loofus, he should know what the argument is about given that he’s participated in every one of them.  If there is an argument that Georgia’s backs are more talented, that is different. I do believe they are more talented but then again, they have won recruiting battles against us.

and that exactly is what I was arguing. To me the number of carries argument is a different argument.

41 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

and that exactly is what I was arguing. To me the number of carries argument is a different argument.

There has been a large RB mismanagement argument going on since tbe SECCG and all aspects of it- RB repetition and workloads, timely talent evaluations, and RB recruiting have all been under scrutiny. I don’t think there has been any mismanagement but to each his own. I think Gus has featured one back since he’s been here and I don’t foresee that changing much. This will be all from me on this subject, for now.

On 12/29/2017 at 3:55 PM, aujeff11 said:

There has been a large RB mismanagement argument going on since tbe SECCG and all aspects of it- RB repetition and workloads, timely talent evaluations, and RB recruiting have all been under scrutiny. I don’t think there has been any mismanagement but to each his own. I think Gus has featured one back since he’s been here and I don’t foresee that changing much. This will be all from me on this subject, for now.

You're correct, he has.

It can also be argued that since he's been here, even as an OC, we've never had 2 backs that were really superstars on the roster at the same time... at least when they were all healthy. Dyer was a rock star in 2010, and shared carries with Cam (the closest thing we've had to a real 2-back tandem), then took himself out of the game with his extra circulars after that. Tre was a machine who seemed to get better with more carries. CAP was a solid back, but he was a step down from Tre. Jovon was incredible, but he couldn't stay healthy and out of trouble long enough to make a difference. Barber did the absolute most he could with what he has, but he was never going to be a superstar. Grant & O-Mac were specialty backs who excelled at what they did, but weren't every-down guys. Roc couldn't stop getting hurt. Kerryon wasn't really Kerryon until this year after he adjusted his game, and he and Pettway couldn't seem to ever both be healthy at the same time.

All that to say, and as may have mentioned we don't get why, we need to figure out how to recruit better backs. It seems like we frequently have the best back in the league, at least statistically, but bama, Georgia, and LSU consistently have a more well rounded stable of top backs.  

And I just realized that I wrote all of that in a threat for a Linebacker that is going to another school...

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

And I just realized that I wrote all of that in a threat for a Linebacker that is going to another school...

Yeah but you were rolling!

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Yeah but you were rolling!

I was... I needed to think about something other than work for a few minutes and it turned into a rant. I guess I still haven't gotten over Cam Akers not even giving us a second look. Maybe FSU will continue to suck with their new staff and we can get him as a grad transfer or something.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I was... I needed to think about something other than work for a few minutes and it turned into a rant. I guess I still haven't gotten over Cam Akers not even giving us a second look. Maybe FSU will continue to suck with their new staff and we can get him as a grad transfer or something.

I’m pretty butthurt about not getting elite backs as well. Has to be some negative recruiting going on. Malzahn gives high volumes of reps to his star backs and he lets his backs become the star of the offense and usually a leader of the SEC leaderboards. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m pretty butthurt about not getting elite backs as well. Has to be some negative recruiting going on. Malzahn gives high volumes of reps to his star backs and he lets his backs become the star of the offense and usually a leader of the SEC leaderboards. 

Yup... but they don't get the big NFL $$$. I guarantee you that is what bama, Georgia, and LSU are selling. While they have guys like Gurley, Ingram, Fournette, and Henry eating up yards on Sundays, we have Tre who flamed out mentally, CAP, who just can't break through to the next level, Barber, who's again doing more than he should be able to but is no superstar, and Grant who is a specialty back.

Archived