Baseball vs uat Game 3

That was a painful weekend of baseball . That sweep probably made bama's baseball season a success aside from severely damaging our post season standings. 

I expect that sometime today E will give us a revised look at the RPI which is not going to be pretty 

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I agree with what you list, especially number 2. Baseball has become a big man sport like everything else. We have very few guys that look the part which means we are not a power hitting team. If you are not a power hitting team, in turn you better be a contact hitting team. We are not. Our efforts against a breaking pitch, leave a lot to be desired. We strike out a lot and do not look good doing it. Most of our hitters have no confidence in hitting the breaking pitch, which leaves them susceptible to fast balls. Saw us take a lot of fast balls over the weekend.

I imagine that our opponents for the remainder of the season and tournaments will give us heavy doses of breaking pitches.

Agreed. I have noticed the past few weeks that opponents coaches have us scouted very well. This weekend doesn't define our season. I believe Butch and his boys have done an excellent job, but he needs to get more of his guys on the roster. He and his staff are excellent recruiters. 

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That was a painful weekend of baseball . That sweep probably made bama's baseball season a success aside from severely damaging our post season standings. 

I expect that sometime today E will give us a revised look at the RPI which is not going to be pretty 

Well stated. We had a chance to make a bold statement about who was in charge in baseball in the state of Alabama. We blew it. Need to shake it off and finish very strong now. 

It was like what coach T said in his interview after the DH Saturday. This team seems to quit playing loose, and seemed to struggle to get ahead or stay ahead. Alabama played with nothing to lose..and we played to keep from losing and play tight.

If you look at the stats it kind of proves it...

1. in 33 innings this weekend we were behind or tied in 29 of them. So for only 4 innings did we ever have the lead. amazing.

2. Never could get the big inning. We had so many RISP, with less than 2 outs and could not get any runs out of it, or just 1.

3. We gave up 22 runs and 7 of them were unearned. At many at crucial times.

Playing at home should have given us the edge to win these close games...but when we never could keep a lead for long, it played on us mentally it seemed. 

I keep seeing a RPI of somewhere in the 36-38 range. Would there be anything that could get us back in the hosting conversation? LSU has a top 20 RPI so sweeping them would help but Ole Miss is in the same boat, mid 30's. Couldn't believe that we gave up 3 HRs to that same kid this weekend. Estes couldn't have hit those breaking balls at the end of this game. makes me wonder why we didn't try to let me bunt at the end of the game to push runners. Even Gabe knew they were not going to throw him a fast ball.

29 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I keep seeing a RPI of somewhere in the 36-38 range. Would there be anything that could get us back in the hosting conversation? LSU has a top 20 RPI so sweeping them would help but Ole Miss is in the same boat, mid 30's. Couldn't believe that we gave up 3 HRs to that same kid this weekend. Estes couldn't have hit those breaking balls at the end of this game. makes me wonder why we didn't try to let me bunt at the end of the game to push runners. Even Gabe knew they were not going to throw him a fast ball.

I think it's a judgement call. Sometimes down 2, it's hard to give up an out. And the pitchers that were in there so late, were not their best pitchers, so CT might have thought to let him hit in this situation. And our bunting had not been very good.

On the other hand...the meat of the order would have been up, if Estes had sacrificed. So who knows.

I think the big thing is they missed Daniel Roberts bat in the middle there somewhere... 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. I have noticed the past few weeks that opponents coaches have us scouted very well. This weekend doesn't define our season. I believe Butch and his boys have done an excellent job, but he needs to get more of his guys on the roster. He and his staff are excellent recruiters. 

I've said it before ... it goes back to the Georgia series ... our inability to handle the breaking balls really showed in that series.  

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I've said it before ... it goes back to the Georgia series ... our inability to handle the breaking balls really showed in that series.  

We looked putrid swinging at breaking balls. You don't try to knock curve balls out of the park by swinging as hard as you can. You wait for the ball to break and take a good controlled swing and get the barrel of the bat on the ball. This should be BT's 1st priority the next couple of weeks focusing our hitters on learning how to hit a breaking ball.

36 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

We looked putrid swinging at breaking balls. You don't try to knock curve balls out of the park by swinging as hard as you can. You wait for the ball to break and take a good controlled swing and get the barrel of the bat on the ball. This should be BT's 1st priority the next couple of weeks focusing our hitters on learning how to hit a breaking ball.

While I agree with you, if you can't hit it now you are not going to correct that in the next few weeks. I would imagine/hope that they have been working on it all year long. If they have, it means we have a lot guys that have "trouble with the curve".

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

While I agree with you, if you can't hit it now you are not going to correct that in the next few weeks. I would imagine/hope that they have been working on it all year long. If they have, it means we have a lot guys that have "trouble with the curve".

Although I agree with you mostly, we should be able to focus on this problem (extra batting practice with curve balls, and physical instruction) at least to the point to where we can put the ball in play and quit striking out so much. If not, when we face the first really good breaking ball pitcher in the postseason we may as well not go on the field.

Butch needs to learn that you do not let a crappy UAT team come to your stadium and take all 3 games.

That weekend series was sick to watch. We made UAT look like a national champion ball club and we couldn't do crap.

Coming into that weekend series, Auburn was 32-14 overall and 14-7 in the SEC. Mean while, Alabama was 15-29 overall and only 2-19 in the SEC.

Another great hire by Jay Jacobs.

7 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Well stated. We had a chance to make a bold statement about who was in charge in baseball in the state of Alabama. We blew it. Need to shake it off and finish very strong now. 

We have more losses to Alabama than the rest of the SEC combined.  YUCK!

There's a chance to rebound and take care of business and kick LSU in the teeth!

13 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Coming into that weekend series, Auburn was 32-14 overall and 14-7 in the SEC. Mean while, Alabama was 15-29 overall and only 2-19 in the SEC.

I actually think he has did one he'll of a job.  This is our best team in how many years?

16 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Last year Auburn was contending for last place, this year they were contending for first place. I'd say that was an incredible turn around. Jay Jacobs doesn't deserve any grief for this hire. 

2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Although I agree with you mostly, we should be able to focus on this problem (extra batting practice with curve balls, and physical instruction) at least to the point to where we can put the ball in play and quit striking out so much. If not, when we face the first really good breaking ball pitcher in the postseason we may as well not go on the field.

Inability to hit a curve has kept a lot of otherwise good hitters out of the majors....and hitting one is not easy to teach as I understand it.

I do wonder if some of our guys have trouble recognizing the curve...picking up the spin or whatever.   Every now and then someone gets a "hanger" and drives it....but even those freshmen pitchers in the late innings had our better hitters beating the ball into the dirt....and into double plays.  

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

What the hell?

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

What the hell?

Helps to know some of the posters before you react....that is a good example...:)

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Helps to know some of the posters before you react....that is a good example...:)

Laughs. 

Oh I know who it is. But that last statement is ridiculous, even for him.

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

Laughs. 

Oh I know who it is. But that last statement is ridiculous, even for him.

I found it to be pretty typical...but mostly I just skip over his comments...:dunno:  maybe i should pay more attention....

12 hours ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

No

It had already been discussed that losing even 1 to bama may make it a lock that we don't host. Getting swept at home?  Id be more worried about this weekend having a hangover effect and losing the next 2 series while looking poor and wondering if we even make the tourney than I would about hosting. 

EDIT:

Then again, win every single game left on the schedule including every game in the SEC tourney and who knows...but we all know after getting swept by one of the worst teams in the country that ain't happenin' 

It's JMHO but I think this series was the worst coaching I've seen form this staff  in awhile. I could cite a lot of examples but no need. For sure it wasn't all on coaching but they share some blame. Anyhow it's history so nothing to do but move on.

Archived