Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador

AUUSN

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Look doofus, the only people from the NSC in the meeting were McMaster and Powell.  Neither was interviewed by the WAPO.  End of story because McMaster, after conferring with each person who attended the meeting, both Powell and Tillerson confirmed that the WAPO story is FALSE.  Or better said, FAKE NEWS, again !

If I were you, I'd wait for a full tweet cycle before taking such definitive positions.

"Not a Trumpbot" my ass.   <_<

5 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

The one silver lining here is that journalism has stepped up its game 200 fold from just 2 years ago.

Not that hard to report on a train wreck.  

Trump the candidate could afford to "make the news".  Trump the president, not so much.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

If I were you, I'd wait for a full tweet cycle before taking such definitive positions.

But there was a time Obama wore a Tan suit. Tipper was really upset.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

As I said, I'm not a DJT supporter.  I just don't like all the fake news going around, especially the WAPO fake news.

20 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

But there was a time Obama wore a Tan suit. Tipper was really upset.

Your dementia has confirmed itself.  Never said anything about a tan suit.  More fake news.  lol

this may well be a violation of the President’s oath of office. Questions of criminality aside, we turn to the far more significant issues: If the President gave this information away through carelessness or neglect, he has arguably breached his oath of office. As Quinta and Ben have elaborated on in some detail, in taking the oath President Trump swore to “faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States” and to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States” to the best of his ability. It’s very hard to argue that carelessly giving away highly sensitive material to an adversary foreign power constitutes a faithful execution of the office of President.

Violating the oath of office does not require violating a criminal statute. If the President decided to write the nuclear codes on a sticky note on his desk and then took a photo of it and tweeted it, he would not technically have violated any criminal law–just as he hasn’t here. He has the constitutional authority to dictate that the safeguarding of nuclear materials shall be done through sticky notes in plain sight and tweeted, even the authority to declassify the codes outright. Yet, we would all understand this degree of negligence to be a gross violation of his oath of office.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/bombshell-initial-thoughts-washington-posts-game-changing-story

3 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Your dementia has confirmed itself.  Never said anything about a tan suit.  More fake news.  lol

axJmn.gif

Some facts of the story:

1) The four Americans in the meeting were DJT, Tillerson, McMaster and Powell. 

2) The WAPO never interviewed any of those Americans to confirm/deny the story.

3) The WAPO is citing "secret" sources.

4) McMaster, the Nat'l Security Advisor denies that secret info was revealed.  Apparently he would know if a breach in security since he's the head of the frickin' NSC.  Yet a WAPO

"secret" source rebuts him.  Laughable. 

As I said, I'm not a DJT supporter.  I just don't like all the fake news going around, especially the WAPO fake news.

You have done nothing to show it's fake. Your move. 

Just now, Elephant Tipper said:

Some facts of the story:

True

True

Anonymous sources. Deep Throat, anyone?

4) McMaster, the Nat'l Security Advisor denies that secret info was revealed.  Apparently he would know if a breach in security since he's the head of the frickin' NSC.  Yet a WAPO

Read what he said carefully. It was a carefully worded statement. Again, he denied something the Post didn't even allege. 

?

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

You have done nothing to show it's fake. Your move. 

And you have nothing to prove that there is "news", well, except fake news.

I don't have to prove that it's fake.  McMaster did that.  Remember him ?  The National Security Adviser who was actually in the room and said that the WAPO story is "FALSE".

16 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

And you have nothing to prove that there is "news", well, except fake news.

I don't have to prove that it's fake.  McMaster did that.  Remember him ?  The National Security Adviser who was actually in the room and said that the WAPO story is "FALSE".

He alleged something they didn't even report was false. He didn't address the main thrust of the story. Why do you think that is? 

"How to weasel word 101," and you're buying it hook, line and sinker. 

57 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

No. This was most likely a whistleblower in the IC. The article says the full transcipt exists and was circulated to a limited number of recipients. Likely one of the IC officers or officials felt compelled enough by the President's actions to actually give the full transcript to WaPo. The way they reported they were withholding details indicates they have those details.

According to Judge Andrew Napolitano, the Supreme Court has already ruled on such.  The WAPO, according to him, is free to publish what info they've withheld. 

According to Judge Andrew Napolitano, the Supreme Court has already ruled on such.  The WAPO, according to him, is free to publish what info they've withheld. 

That's a non sequitur. They chose not "at the urging of officials who warned that revealing them would jeopardize important intelligence capabilities." They are also well within their rights to do so, but are exercising restraint. 

1 hour ago, Elephant Tipper said:

So, the only Americans in the meeting were DJT, Powell, McMaster and Tillerson, none of whom was interviewed by the WAPO to confirm their story.  How is it that the IC came about this info ?  Hmmmm ?   lol 

You don't have a clue about how meetings in the Whitehouse work and how information is distributed after the fact do you?   

26 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Some facts of the story:

OK genius, let me break this down for you.  Please note that of the two of us, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with a degree in Mass Communication, has won awards for reporting, and worked in the field.

It is not incumbent of any news organization to have to interview anyone, so if WaPo trusts their sources (and there have to be multiple corroborating the story before they run with it), then they can publish.  WaPo can always go back and print statements from the administration if they so choose.

It's also common practice to use anonymous sources and has been for years.  This is done to protect the source from repercussions.  For example, if two anonymous sources work in the White House but can confirm the same story, you withhold their names to protect them.  This does two things:  keeps them from losing their job / livelihood and keeps a source open for the reporter to return to later.  We would never know about Watergate if it wasn't for anonymous sources.  There's also a reason that some journalists have gone to jail rather than revealing their sources.  It's to protect those people.

And as has been noted several times now, McMaster has not denied that classified info was shared.  He never really addressed the claims made in the report during his quick statement.

One last thing:  this story has been confirmed independently by several other news agencies after WaPo initially published the report.  It's not just one reporter anymore with this info.

Archived