Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation

AUDub

Caveat:  Yes, it's still a "he said, he said, others (press & WH staff)  said" issue.  ...which is exactly why we need a truly unbiased independent investigator/committee with adequate resources and both subpoena AND prosecutorial power.

But I'd like to say:  If I needed an ally, someone I could trust  to protect his and my a$$ while doing things correctly, making a powerful stand, and being logical, consistent and ethical,  I'd certainly trust Comey over Trump.  So if he indeed wrote such a memo, I'd believe his words over Trump's.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone is obviously coordinating. You know BB, thing is, Trump haters do not understand that Trump voters gave a go to hell Washington vote. No trust period, Congress, the WH, and sure as hell not the press. 

34 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Someone is obviously coordinating. You know BB, thing is, Trump haters do not understand that Trump voters gave a go to hell Washington vote. No trust period, Congress, the WH, and sure as hell not the press. 

The only problem with that mentality is when you are so married to it you refuse to see actual issues. You give the man a free pass on anything because of it. Critical thinking has been disposed of completely. You're giving the benefit of the doubt to a degree you'd never give anyone else   

44 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

So you trust no one-- but Trump. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

The only problem with that mentality is when you are so married to it you refuse to see actual issues. You give the man a free pass on anything because of it. Critical thinking has been disposed of completely. You're giving the benefit of the doubt to a degree you'd never give anyone else   

No sir Titan. I have not given anyone a free pass nor have the majority Trump supporters.You have no business telling me or anyone who gives whom "benefit of doubt". You have Admin powers on this board. Your power ends there. 

Just now, TexasTiger said:

So you trust no one-- but Trump. 

Never said that. As a matter of fact I said we do not trust the WH - stands for White House. Trump lives there. Baron and Melania moving in this summer.

7 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No sir Titan. I have not given anyone a free pass nor have the majority Trump supporters.You have no business telling me or anyone who gives whom "benefit of doubt". You have Admin powers on this board. Your power ends there. 

Calm down with the theatrics. I'm calling a spade a spade. Don't like it?  Tough. You are dismissing things with Trump you'd be screaming bloody murder about if it were Obama or another Dem. 

You know it. I know it. Everyone with a functioning brain knows it. 

From Reddit:

"Wonder why the national security folks decided to start leaking now. Whatever could have pushed them over the edge. I have absolutely no idea. 

Firing their boss and then the next day spilling highly sensitive classified intel to hostile nations? Nahhhhh couldn't be."

I can only imagine the tribal drumbeat and shouting to impeach Hillary if she'd had a first four months like this followed by divulging highly classified info to Russia.  Funny how those same politicians, and AUFamily posters, are so quiet.

President Trump needs an intervention. Without that, we need his resignation. Republicans who are reflexing defending the self-inflicted wounds of this President have no need for him with Mike Pence in the wings. They should save their credibility, instead of behaving exactly like the Democrats they’ve pilloried for eight years. President Trump beat Hillary Clinton, he appointed Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court, and now he risks everything else. There will be no wall. There will be no Obamacare repeal. There will probably not even be substantive tax reform.

None of that has anything to do with Democrat opposition and everything to do with his failure to lead.

http://theresurgent.com/no-more-benefit-of-the-doubt/

Line of the day (in bold):

...Our institutions depend on people who have enough engraved character traits to fulfill their assigned duties. But there is perpetually less to Trump than it appears. When we analyze a president’s utterances we tend to assume that there is some substantive process behind the words, that it’s part of some strategic intent.

But Trump’s statements don’t necessarily come from anywhere, lead anywhere or have a permanent reality beyond his wish to be liked at any given instant.

We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/15/opinion/trump-classified-data.html

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I can only imagine the tribal drumbeat and shouting to impeach Hillary if she'd had a first four months like this followed by divulging highly classified info to Russia.  Funny how those same politicians, and AUFamily posters, are so quiet.

They'd be apoplectic. They'd be correct too. 

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

You are seriously confused if you think the press is the problem.  

In fact, this has been a perfect illustration of how important of a role the press plays in our freedom.

12 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

I predicted this wouldn't happen until after the mid-terms.   Trump has exceeded even my low expectations.  

11 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

They'd be apoplectic. They'd be correct too. 

Exactly.  This shouldn't be a partisan thing.  It shouldn't be an "establishment" vs the rank and file thing.  It shouldn't be about Trump.  It's about what was allegedly done.  And I realize that there needs to be an actual investigation and some proof.  But at some point you just realize, if you aren't bending over backwards to defend someone, that the story that makes the most logical sense is that he did it.  The leaps you have to make to come up with a scenario where this is just lies doesn't really make sense to me.

But the bottom line is, I'm not refusing to let this go because I dislike Trump or want him to fail.  I never want a POTUS to fail.  Their failures affect us all.  Obviously some of you won't agree, but I'm glad he got Gorsuch through to the SCOTUS.  I'm happy when he does something good.  But the things that keep trickling out are the very things I was most worried about with him.  But even if it were someone else as POTUS doing this, I'd be just as pissed and wanting it to be front page news.  Shouldn't we all want this?

33 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Exactly.  This shouldn't be a partisan thing.  It shouldn't be an "establishment" vs the rank and file thing.  It shouldn't be about Trump.  It's about what was allegedly done.  And I realize that there needs to be an actual investigation and some proof.  But at some point you just realize, if you aren't bending over backwards to defend someone, that the story that makes the most logical sense is that he did it.  The leaps you have to make to come up with a scenario where this is just lies doesn't really make sense to me.

But the bottom line is, I'm not refusing to let this go because I dislike Trump or want him to fail.  I never want a POTUS to fail.  Their failures affect us all.  Obviously some of you won't agree, but I'm glad he got Gorsuch through to the SCOTUS.  I'm happy when he does something good.  But the things that keep trickling out are the very things I was most worried about with him.  But even if it were someone else as POTUS doing this, I'd be just as pissed and wanting it to be front page news.  Shouldn't we all want this?

You would think so, but partisanship knows no bounds with some.  As Chuck Todd noted today in his twitter, 31% of the population supported Nixon to the bitter end.

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

One can read your posts and reach logical conclusions.

6 hours ago, AUUSN said:

None of that has anything to do with Democrat opposition and everything to do with his failure to lead.

http://theresurgent.com/no-more-benefit-of-the-doubt/

Exactly! :thumbsup:

If he showed any hint of competent leadership, people might be more willing to keep a more open mind or give him the benefit of the doubt.  But let's look at his leadership record  since taking office:

Made a big deal of, but lied about, the size of his inauguration crowd,

Failed on his first attempt at health care reform,

Failed on his first attempt at "immigrant vetting/Muslim ban", and second attempt still hasn't clear the courts,

Failed on his first choice for National Security Adviser,

Changed his tune on China as a 'currency manipulator',

Contradicted his own staff's/spokepersons' public announcements,

Failed to fully divest himself from his businesses,

Lets his sons run his business and appoints his daughter and son-in-law to White House positions, with apparently no concern about public perceptions regarding nepotism or conflicts of interest,

Repeatedly attacks/demeans the courts, the press, and people exercising their rights "peaceably to assemble and to petition ... for a redress of grievances", with seeming contempt for Constitutional separation of powers, checks and balances, and the First Amendment,

Launched one military strike that failed to put an airfield out of commission and launched another military strike that led to the death of a Navy SEAL as well as civilians, missed the primary human target, and yielded relatively little in the way of useful intel.

Fired the acting Attorney General after she warned him that Flynn was compromised, but didn't fire Flynn until 18 days later,

Appointed an Attorney General who failed to tell 'the whole truth' under oath to Congress about his conversations with Russians, and 'recused' himself from the Russian investigation, then wrote a memo recommending the firing of the head of that FBI investigation.  Yet that FBI director is gone while said AG apparently still has the full faith and confidence of the President,

Reneged on campaign promises to 'drain the swamp', assure that no one loses health care, and to 'Lock Her Up',

At the very least, mishandled the Comey firing and the meeting with Russian Foreign Minister & Ambassador from a public relations standpoint,

Continues to tweet nonsense, ad hominem attacks, and possibly self-incriminating information,

Still hasn't explained how Mexico will pay for his Wall, 

...and seems oblivious the PR appearance of his vacations and golf trips to his properties, even if he's perfectly within his rights to take such trips.

Even if suspicions of obstruction of justice, Russian ties/collusion, and mishandling of classified information are all proved to be unfounded, what about his four months in office would give any rational person confidence in his leadership abilities?

At some point, republicans will realize that the misery that comes from impeachment will be shorter lived then the consistent pain that comes from the outright embrace or the look the other way tactic currently being applied to Trump. Do republicans really think the man will suddenly change into a competent Republican figure they can stay behind? At some point, a recognition will come that it's better to part ways than to be known as the party that continuously allowed this behavior to occur. A hundred years of scandals condensed into 4 months. If only someone could have possibly seen this coming.......

33 minutes ago, shabby said:

At some point, republicans will realize that the misery that comes from impeachment will be shorter lived then the consistent pain that comes from the outright embrace or the look the other way tactic currently being applied to Trump. Do republicans really think the man will suddenly change into a competent Republican figure they can stay behind? At some point, a recognition will come that it's better to part ways than to be known as the party that continuously allowed this behavior to occur. A hundred years of scandals condensed into 4 months. If only someone could have possibly seen this coming.......

Presumably, that's sarcasm. ;)

No one should be surprised. He's been a narcissistic psychopath from the get go:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/the-frontline-interview-jack-odonnell/

Archived