Post a picture

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

DUDE! Love it! All of it! Got dangit, got my blood flowing now. Love the seating as well! Man, there are endless possibilities with the reclaimed materials. 

When one is actively engaged in that stuff, it makes driving from point A to point B like a scavenger hunt. Especially in rural areas where all sorts of outbuildings are falling to pieces.

Just curious...Did you run that recovered wood through a planer or what?   Nice finished look.  

I have a little Ryobi 12 planer (portable but weighs a ton) which is great for thinning wood and cleaning up the surface of rough wood.   When I made the desk the interior cubbies were made from  1/4 inch walnut which started as 3/4 inch.....so by the time I got the wood to desired thickness I had a bout $10 of sawdust /chips on the floor.  Did that work outside and put the sweepings in a garden.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just curious...Did you run that recovered wood through a planer or what?   Nice finished look.  

I have a little Ryobi 12 planer (portable but weighs a ton) which is great for thinning wood and cleaning up the surface of rough wood.   When I made the desk the interior cubbies were made from  1/4 inch walnut which started as 3/4 inch.....so by the time I got the wood to desired thickness I had a bout $10 of sawdust /chips on the floor.  Did that work outside and put the sweepings in a garden.

I didn’t. It was all sanded after cutting to width on a table saw. 

It is still pretty rough, but that’s how I wanted it. Lots of texture. (A full wine glass will stand up on it.) There are nails heads and even bird shot in the surface of the wood. I finished with several coats of spar urethane, lightly sanding between coats. 

A planer, router, band saw, radial arm saw, and joiner are all on my “to buy” list.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
No, not a planet
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I didn’t. It was all sanded after cutting to width on a table saw. 

It is still pretty rough, but that’s how I wanted it. Lots of texture. (A full wine glass will stand up on it.) There are nails heads and even bird shot in the surface of the wood. I finished with several coats of spar urethane, lightly sanding between coats. 

A planer, router, band saw, radial arm saw, and joiner are all on my “to buy” list.

Went through that same list and process...every time I built something I would "expense" a new tool into the cost.  I worked a block from a large Sears store and frequently spent a lunch hour lusting over their power tools.   Now it is Lowe's for me and they have some really cool stuff...much better than in the days when I was outfitting my shop. Dewalt Radial arm saw was my first big purchase in 1975 or 76....still works great. Have a very small basement shop but can rip 8 foot pieces with it 😊. So can build about anything.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I haven’t been to this thread in a while. Y’all got me wanting to start another project now. My wife will thank you. 

Trying to post some pictures myself. Phone not cooperating   

Edited by alexava
  • Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, alexava said:

I haven’t been to this thread in a while. Y’all got me wanting to start another project now. My wife will thank you. 

Trying to post some pictures myself. Phone not cooperating   

keep trying.....:)

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 8:27 PM, AU64 said:

It’s funny that you mentioned the books earlier. I have always built stuff totally by “feel”. Take a few measurements, look at some pictures, eyeball some stuff, etc. By the grace of God, my things usually come out pretty good. Well, I bought my first woodworking book last night. Dammit. I think I’m officially hooked. 

I spent an an hour last night researching planers. We have a Harbor Freight close by that, while I like their stuff, I think I’m going to invest in some nicer tools.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I spent an an hour last night researching planers. We have a Harbor Freight close by that, while I like their stuff, I think I’m going to invest in some nicer tools.

I hear ya. I tend to view Harbor Freight as a place to go to see if you really need a particular product. If you find out that you do, then you replace the one you got there with something of higher quality. 

Which really isn't a dig at Harbor Freight. A lot of their stuff is exactly what I need at a price I can live with. I'm glad they're there. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hear ya. I tend to view Harbor Freight as a place to go to see if you really need a particular product. If you find out that you do, then you replace the one you got there with something of higher quality. 

Which really isn't a dig at Harbor Freight. A lot of their stuff is exactly what I need at a price I can live with. I'm glad they're there. 

Precisely. I’ve found that the HF tools do just fine, until you get your hands on a higher quality tool. Then it’s like...

8ABD697D-BDBF-4AF4-B281-11E0A9B6B0A5.gif

3 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Precisely. I’ve found that the HF tools do just fine, until you get your hands on a higher quality tool. Then it’s like...

8ABD697D-BDBF-4AF4-B281-11E0A9B6B0A5.gif

Hah!

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Precisely. I’ve found that the HF tools do just fine, until you get your hands on a higher quality tool. 

That's my experience.....started out buying what I could afford and HF was not around but something like it...still  have the dust collector I bought in 1977 but over the years everything else except the radial arm saw has been replaced and upgraded several times.  .  I bought a table top wood lathe from the which was robust but very basic..... I made a few things and then sold it and never got into lathe work.   Sometimes buying "basic" is not satisfying for very long. 

Otherwise, early on I  had Craftsman which offered several quality and price levels.   So...at over the years I  accumulated five drills, had three power saws,  two 3 inch belt sanders, three routers, a 10" miter (chop)  saw, a couple sabre saws,  a couple power hand planers, the flat Ryobi planer,  16 inch band saw, several small orbital sanders, and a Tiger saw (great for taking out walls or studs) and some other items.  I never had a real work shop so everything I have is suitable for table top work on my solid core door tables......clamp it in place to drill or sand or rout ...and then put the tool back in it's place.   I learned from the older guys that having the right tool is the key to doing the job efficiently and well.   Some day my wife will have a heck of a "shop sale" ...

Small hand tools?  you can never have too many and of course I converted to batteries as they came along...and became more powerful.    I hung in with B&D and DeWalt for a long time but now have Ryobi and Makita tools which are quite good.   I went on building missions for a number of years and having lots of tools was useful since everyone did not have them and we could loan them out. 

Fine Woodworking.  This is a great magazine....but humbling ...whenever I was feeling pretty good about my work, this would get me back down to earth.   If you are thinking about doing some furniture, get someone to give it to you as a gift.....these are magazines you can keep forever as reference and idea source.  

https://subscribe.finewoodworking.com/pubs/TP/FWW/sem_May2017.jsp?cds_page_id=216244&cds_mag_code=FWW&id=1549031636353&lsid=90320833563044339&vid=1&utm_medium=cpc&cds_response_key=W1032PPC&utm_term=standardads&utm_source=yahoo&utm_campaign=Y_B_FWW_TopPerform_US_E

Rockler and Woodcraft Supply are good sources of ideas too.....and sometimes for hardware,    I still  have lots of old magazines pre-2000  but likely they are probably  no longer in business 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So...at over the years I  accumulated five drills, had three power saws,  two 3 inch belt sanders, three routers, a 10" miter (chop)  saw, a couple sabre saws,  a couple power hand planers, the flat Ryobi planer,  16 inch band saw, several small orbital sanders, and a Tiger saw (great for taking out walls or studs) and some other items.

Are you... are you Ron Swanson???

Image result for ron swanson gif

(This is intended to be a compliment presented humorously.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The good thing about the internet is that Amazon , Ebay and other sources have good quality name brand tools at impossible to beat prices.   When I was still in the market for things like this, I shop Lowes and see what I like...and then go on line to make the buy...and even Lowes on line wins out but Amazon Prime is hard to beat since the freight is covered.  JMO but it's a good idea to buy the best quality you can afford....mostly you get what you pay for...

• Like 1

Oh, also, I meant to say thanks for the tip on your "kit" methodology. I could stand to be more precise with my cuts and such- I measure twice and often still end up cutting thrice- but that's still a great idea worth trying. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

JMO but it's a good idea to buy the best quality you can afford....mostly you get what you pay for...

Hard lesson learned.

Much like the "measure twice, cut once" philosophy, I've found that it's better to research twice and buy once. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Are you... are you Ron Swanson???

Image result for ron swanson gif

(This is intended to be a compliment presented humorously.)

Almost that bad....first job at 11 as paper boy and from then forward,  until I retired in 2000 the longest I was without a job was my senior year at AU. My daughter says there is "work" in our genes...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, also, I meant to say thanks for the tip on your "kit" methodology. I could stand to be more precise with my cuts and such- I measure twice and often still end up cutting thrice- but that's still a great idea worth trying. 

The kit methodology came from not having much working room so organization and planning was essential.   If you are not oriented to "engineering" your projects you can get some ideas of what and how from plans you can find on line.  Mine were just in a notebook on 8 x 11 graph paper.....but a sketch and dimensions for every part. Saved me a lot of time once I get to the assembly process....

Henry Ford had a good idea back then....we discussed some of them when he was planning out the Model T.:)    

PS....you probably learned ...PP prevents PPP

Edited by AU64
  • Like 1

Ava drew this. The longer I stare at it, the funnier it gets. 

iI1sxGZ.jpg

The funniest thing is the fact that she is actually a pretty good artist. This, however, may be her best work. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hard lesson learned.

Much like the "measure twice, cut once" philosophy, I've found that it's better to research twice and buy once. 

Of course there's the ole measure once, cuss twice method. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, AUDub said:

Ava drew this. The longer I stare at it, the funnier it gets. 

iI1sxGZ.jpg

The funniest thing is the fact that she is actually a pretty good artist. This, however, may be her best work. 

Lesson here...don't ever say or do anything you aren't willing to share with everyone you know.   Old saying from my mom...."little pitchers have big ears".

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, McLoofus said:

OK...here is where the magic happens.....well, some of it...😄

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

This is worthy of a lengthier discussion when I have more time but off the top of my head I have to ask what those tubes or pipes are in the middle picture? Is that some sort of exhaust?

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This is worthy of a lengthier discussion when I have more time but off the top of my head I have to ask what those tubes or pipes are in the middle picture? Is that some sort of exhaust?

Dust collection...there is a bag filter off to the right with a suction line made from clothes dryer exhaust ....the housing over the saw catches most of the sawdust from the blade.   I turn the dust collector on when I am cutting stuff and it does pretty good job of pulling dust into the bag.  

This is the basement and I have to try and keep dust under control ….or the HVAC intake will distribute it throughout the hose which wifey does not like.   JMO but a pretty good dust collector is a must if you have an inside shop.

This is part of a daylight basement and I also do messy stuff outside on a paved patio under the deck...like running the planer which generates lot of dust and chips.   The little saw station room is only about 4 feet wide x 30 feet... and the area back to the left is wood storage....plus small stuff under the table   Best thing is that I can rip an 8 foot board in either direction but no way to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood onto the table so I usually get Lowes to pre-cut for me if the job needs it. .

My wife stays away from here.  I offer these pictures as evidence that you don't need a fancy shop to have fun and do some pretty nice projects. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

This is quickly becoming my favorite thread...

I spent about an hour at Lowe’s today, salivating over the tools. My list is growing quickly. I need to stay away from my wife’s amazon prime account for a day or two.

*ETA- Perhaps we should make a wood shop club?

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just for the record, I straightened up before taking the pix.

• Haha 2