Post a picture

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I spent about an hour at Lowe’s today, salivating over the tools. My list is growing quickly. I need to stay away from my wife’s amazon prime account for a day or two.

Problem is that it's probably hard to prioritize what you need....or would like.   As I noted, as I undertook projects I would include the cost of one item into the budget,    usually the tool that would make that job the easiest.  A router, belt sander and orbital sander were early on the list I think which were really nice for finishing the work nicely and over time just added to the collection.   Good routers can be mounted upside down on a special table to function as a shaper.....and  for example and I once had a "drill press" that was a stand that allowed me to clamp a 1/4 inch drill into place and then use the ratchet handle to drill holes. 

Also there are dozens of relatively inexpensive jigs that make work easier and more accurate....and they make good Christmas presents.....and for as long as I can remember, my kids have given me gift cards to Lowes which they call "dad's toy shop". . 

This is a wonderful hobby with great benefits to the entire family.....make furniture, make toys for the kids, etc.  Can't count the number of book case units and built in desks I've built for home, for our  kids, grandkids, our church , etc.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This is quickly becoming my favorite thread...

I spent about an hour at Lowe’s today, salivating over the tools. My list is growing quickly. I need to stay away from my wife’s amazon prime account for a day or two.

*ETA- Perhaps we should make a wood shop club?

Can't imagine how many hobbyists we might have that might not know about this thread/discussion...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Can't imagine how many hobbyists we might have that might not know about this thread/discussion...

True..it's in an obscure location and I just stumbled on it ...think the pix of the bathroom project got it started in this direction.

I enjoy looking at projects that people will undertake or have finished.  All kinds of projects interest me, particularly because I will probably learn something.  How about one of you wordsmiths start an appropriate thread on projects, with pics of what you have done.  64 could show more of his great woodwork. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

I enjoy looking at projects that people will undertake or have finished.  All kinds of projects interest me, particularly because I will probably learn something.  How about one of you wordsmiths start an appropriate thread on projects, with pics of what you have done.  64 could show more of his great woodwork. 

I should be able to get one done during the week if nobody beats me to it. And I agree. I find that my projects happen less when I am looking for something to do and more when I find out that there's something that I never even knew I wanted to do. If that makes any sense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I should be able to get one done during the week if nobody beats me to it. And I agree. I find that my projects happen less when I am looking for something to do and more when I find out that there's something that I never even knew I wanted to do. If that makes any sense.

Do it.

Just my experience but bigger things are sometimes easier to do.   The small stuff ... harder for me to do. …. .jewelry chest for my wife, the clocks, seem to have more margin for error, requires more precision ...and my dexterity is not that great …..so  I'm more proud of some of  my little projects …..and you can do stuff like that in a very small shop....and since labor is free, the cost is pretty modest. .  

Plus sometimes just simple stuff is fun and useful...made up a big set of building blocks for my grandkids when they were small.....2 x 2 x 8 logs, some 4 x 4 x 1 flat pieces , and a few other sizes  (30 or 40 pieces) made from scrap left from a deck project.   Cut the pieces and then sanded and poly finish without sharp edges and some different sizes and just kept them in  a box in the grandkids room.    They loved to stack and build towers or buildings, etc. with them until they were nearly teens.  Cut the pieces from scrap and finished them on a 3 x 21  belt sander clamped to a table with belt up (did not have an actual table top sander) to rough sand and then hand finish.  Material cost ($4 can of poly) and that was it..... for years of fun.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Plus sometimes just simple stuff is fun and useful...made up a big set of building blocks for my grandkids when they were small.....2 x 2 x 8 logs, some 4 x 4 x 1 flat pieces , and a few other sizes  (30 or 40 pieces) made from scrap left from a deck project.   Cut the pieces and then sanded and poly finish without sharp edges and some different sizes and just kept them in  a box in the grandkids room.    They loved to stack and build towers or buildings, etc. with them until they were nearly teens.  Cut the pieces from scrap and finished them on a 3 x 21  belt sander clamped to a table with belt up (did not have an actual table top sander) to rough sand and then hand finish.  Material cost ($4 can of poly) and that was it..... for years of fun.  

That is so cool!

And what an ingenious use of scrap wood. I HATE tossing chunks of brand new lumber. Especially if it's pressure treated. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That is so cool!

And what an ingenious use of scrap wood. I HATE tossing chunks of brand new lumber. Especially if it's pressure treated. 

I almost never throw "scrap" away.....which my wife finally has accepted.....I live in a rural town and getting anything of use for a woodworking project involves some travel so I often buy a little extras and keep everything left over..   I was thinking about the wood you used for the table....beautiful stuff....and good possibilities for some kind of toy box or block toys for example. 

Edited by AU64
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I almost never throw "scrap" away.....which my wife finally has accepted.....I live in a rural town and getting anything of use for a woodworking project involves some travel so I often buy a little extras and keep everything left over..   I was thinking about the wood you used for the table....beautiful stuff....and good possibilities for some kind of toy box or block toys for example. 

Yeah, I got lucky with that stuff. Definitely a case of being flexible with my plan and doing some "ingredient driven cooking". Some old barn siding that the guy at Lifecycle in Atlanta steered me towards when I told him what I was doing. 

OK...sounds good and thanks for doing the work to get it started....so what happens now?    Not familiar with how works....is there a link or something to help me.

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OK...sounds good and thanks for doing the work to get it started....so what happens now?    Not familiar with how works....is there a link or something to help me.

Sorry about that, I had to turn on the Topics feature in order to have a place for conversations. It's a tab now next to Members.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry about that, I had to turn on the Topics feature in order to have a place for conversations. It's a tab now next to Members.

No...that's fine....just did not know what follows.....so does that become the location for chat exchange rather than on the "all things considered" site?    If we have some other comments or pix or whatever, just go there?  

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

No...that's fine....just did not know what follows.....so does that become the location for chat exchange rather than on the "all things considered" site?    If we have some other comments or pix or whatever, just go there?  

That's the idea. I think basically the clubs act as mini-forums with some additional functionality, such as photo repositories and notifications for all new content for members. 

54 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the idea. I think basically the clubs act as mini-forums with some additional functionality, such as photo repositories and notifications for all new content for members. 

OK thanks...so here is one of my favorite pix of something pretty much anyone can build.  My grand daughter has been a voracious reader since she was 4 or 5 and had accumulated a lot of books.    Some years ago she wanted a larger book case to fit in a certain place in her bedroom.....her mom sent me this picture after I delivered it. 

image.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

OK thanks...so here is one of my favorite pix of something pretty much anyone can build.  My grand daughter has been a voracious reader since she was 4 or 5 and had accumulated a lot of books.    Some years ago she wanted a larger book case to fit in a certain place in her bedroom.....her mom sent me this picture after I delivered it. 

image.png

Adorable picture and nice work! Some nice accenting on the edges, too. Very very cool.

Made of 3/4 birch plywood and the trim is just standard stuff from the bins at Lowes....which can dress up the facing.  This is one of the jobs I was mentioning about getting stuff pre-cut.   Drew up the book case, then bought a 4 x 8  piece of cabinet type plywood, had them cut it into the parts I needed and back is  cheap luan panel and base is 1 x 6 with cuts using a skill saw.    All I have is Honda CRV so can't haul around much big stuff.   Probably built a dozen similar to this over the years for home and various family to fit the size they need.....stand alone or built in. . . 

1 hour ago, Mike4AU said:

Perfect for bunk beds!

Great idea for children's room...can make bookcase as the footboard and a frame for headboard. Early on I "shopped" at local furniture stores and got ideas for building stuff and I bet most of us could build about any wood furniture item you see in an Ikea catalog or store these days.   

One of the great joys of this hobby is building things for my children and grand children.(and wife too). 

They have loved helping with ideas and were usually thrilled that something was being done especially for them?    …..well you can see from Kaki's big smile....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AU64 said:

One of the great joys of this hobby is building things for my children and grand children.(and wife too). 

They have loved helping with ideas and were usually thrilled that something was being done especially for them?    …..well you can see from Kaki's big smile....

One of my daughter's favorite adornments for her hair recently got disassembled. (The bow came off a headband.) I fixed it. She said, "Oh, you fixed it!" and then gave me a hug and said, "Daddy, you're the best." I don't have to tell anybody what an ego boost that was.

You're multiplying that by bunches and bunches.

• Love 1

One of my daughter's favorite adornments for her hair recently got disassembled. (The bow came off a headband.) I fixed it. She said, "Oh, you fixed it!" and then gave me a hug and said, "Daddy, you're the best." I don't have to tell anybody what an ego boost that was.

You're multiplying that by bunches and bunches.

Girls are special that way....know how to win your heart almost instinctively......boys  ?  not always?   but they are worth the effort too..:)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Girls are special that way....know how to win your heart almost instinctively......boys  ?  not always?   but they are worth the effort too..:)

Fingers crossed. This little animal is giving me optimism.

IMG_20190130_185243.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@McLoofus

Beer festival in Huntsville. Saw these guys and thought of you. Cheers!

IMG_20190209_163029.jpg

PS how old is the youngest Loofus above? Afraid I missed the new arrival. I haven't been paying attention, clearly. Double cheers to that!!

Mrs. Barnacle has one cooking at the moment. Due in July. First one! We are super pumped.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

@McLoofus

Beer festival in Huntsville. Saw these guys and thought of you. Cheers!

IMG_20190209_163029.jpg

PS how old is the youngest Loofus above? Afraid I missed the new arrival. I haven't been paying attention, clearly. Double cheers to that!!

Mrs. Barnacle has one cooking at the moment. Due in July. First one! We are super pumped.

BARNACLE! YES! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS AND YOUR BARNACLET!!! Oh man, I am so damn happy to hear that. You're going to be great parents. And get ready, dude. You don't even know your capacity for love yet. It's truly unimaginable and impossible to put into words. Hell yeah!!! This is great!!!!

Oh yeah, we dropped our sophomore album in November. He's great. He laughs a lot which is unusual for such a young fella. He eats, he sleeps, he flirts with the ladies... Solid little dude. 

Went to my first daddy daughter dance tonight with our 4 yr old. I'm one lucky ducky. 

15497643695386232057501524590276.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1