Post a picture

Oh, and @Barnacle, very cool about Main Channel. Did you try any of their stuff and/or talk to them at all? I'm curious who they sent up there and how the beer was. I rep my fam but I haven't actually been to the brewery yet, lol.

Lots to respond to!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

BARNACLE! YES! I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS AND YOUR BARNACLET!!! 

Man, thank you so much. Seriously. It's been a long journey, and much longer than either of us anticipated. We started trying while I was in law school and had no luck, whatsoever. We were trying everything people tell you to try - timing her ovulation, checking body temperature, etc. but still without any luck. After about a year we went to her OBGYN, and eventually to a fertility Doctor. Our Doctor discovered some minor complications - my count was low and she had a mild case of endometriosis. So, our Doctor suggested IUI. We were hopeful, and I would say confident that an IUI would result in a positive pregnancy test. But, after four attempts, we still weren't pregnant. It was a pretty difficult time, honestly. 

The next, and final option in terms of a pregnancy was IVF. Honestly, I never imagined that we would get to that point and it was difficult for me to accept that it might be the only path toward a pregnancy. At the time, I thought what we were going through was really rare. I just assumed that all the people around us were able to have children with ease. Friends were popping out kids left and right, it seemed. As we started to open up to people about what we were going through, we quickly realized that so many other families have been through the same process, even close friends of ours, many of whom I assumed had no trouble at all. 

I'm talking about all of this because I know how it feels to be in that place, and there might be someone on this board experiencing similar difficulties. Anyway, I'm an open book to anyone with questions. 

We completed our first round of IVF treatment in November and we are now 19 weeks pregnant! Baby is due in July!!!

You're going to be great parents.

Thanks man. That means a lot. We'll screw up our fair share, but we're going to love that kid with all that we have.

And get ready, dude. You don't even know your capacity for love yet. It's truly unimaginable and impossible to put into words.

This is what I'm most excited about, and what I appreciate reading the most. I get to see you, and @AUDub and @AUsince72 and @bigbirdand many others post their proud father posts on here, and see the pure joy that it brings you and it makes me SO PUMPED. I can't wait to be a part of that club. 

Oh yeah, we dropped our sophomore album in November. He's great. He laughs a lot which is unusual for such a young fella. He eats, he sleeps, he flirts with the ladies... Solid little dude. 

I love it. Cool as the other side of the pillow. Will likely be sniping off his older sister's friends before she knows what's happening. 

15497643695386232057501524590276.jpg

And I bet she thought your dance moves were pretty cool, too. Something to cherish. 😊

Oh, and @Barnacle, very cool about Main Channel. Did you try any of their stuff and/or talk to them at all? I'm curious who they sent up there and how the beer was. I rep my fam but I haven't actually been to the brewery yet, lol.

Man, there was a girl working the booth who I think may have been a volunteer for the event and not necessarily a rep for their brewery. I tasted their dunkelweizen. I'm totally unfamiliar with the style, but I definitely enjoyed it. I've got a good buddy in Guntersville, and I'm pretty certain he knows your peeps - anyway, he says he loves the place. I still haven't been yet either. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Congratulations! Get ready. Your life is about to speed up. It’s going too damn fast for me now. I have a teenager now, and our little baby is already almost 2. One wonders how time flies. 😢

Days are long, but you’ll literally feel the years getting shorter, especially when you have a little one or two. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Lots to respond to!

Man, thank you so much. Seriously. It's been a long journey, and much longer than either of us anticipated. We started trying while I was in law school and had no luck, whatsoever. We were trying everything people tell you to try - timing her ovulation, checking body temperature, etc. but still without any luck. After about a year we went to her OBGYN, and eventually to a fertility Doctor. Our Doctor discovered some minor complications - my count was low and she had a mild case of endometriosis. So, our Doctor suggested IUI. We were hopeful, and I would say confident that an IUI would result in a positive pregnancy test. But, after four attempts, we still weren't pregnant. It was a pretty difficult time, honestly. 

The next, and final option in terms of a pregnancy was IVF. Honestly, I never imagined that we would get to that point and it was difficult for me to accept that it might be the only path toward a pregnancy. At the time, I thought what we were going through was really rare. I just assumed that all the people around us were able to have children with ease. Friends were popping out kids left and right, it seemed. As we started to open up to people about what we were going through, we quickly realized that so many other families have been through the same process, even close friends of ours, many of whom I assumed had no trouble at all. 

I'm talking about all of this because I know how it feels to be in that place, and there might be someone on this board experiencing similar difficulties. Anyway, I'm an open book to anyone with questions. 

We completed our first round of IVF treatment in November and we are now 19 weeks pregnant! Baby is due in July!!!

Thanks man. That means a lot. We'll screw up our fair share, but we're going to love that kid with all that we have.

This is what I'm most excited about, and what I appreciate reading the most. I get to see you, and @AUDub and @AUsince72 and @bigbirdand many others post their proud father posts on here, and see the pure joy that it brings you and it makes me SO PUMPED. I can't wait to be a part of that club. 

I love it. Cool as the other side of the pillow. Will likely be sniping off his older sister's friends before she knows what's happening. 

And I bet she thought your dance moves were pretty cool, too. Something to cherish. 😊

Man, there was a girl working the booth who I think may have been a volunteer for the event and not necessarily a rep for their brewery. I tasted their dunkelweizen. I'm totally unfamiliar with the style, but I definitely enjoyed it. I've got a good buddy in Guntersville, and I'm pretty certain he knows your peeps - anyway, he says he loves the place. I still haven't been yet either. 

I'm going to need a real keyboard to get back to you in full. 

We've had complications, too. So now I'm even happier for you. 

• Like 1

Glad to see you guys are doing your part to perpetuate the species.  Tough job raising children these days and instilling good values.  Prayers for all of you.

My oldest grands...now juniors in college were invitro births after several years of no results.....boy and girl twins ….and the excitement of that experience for the parents and grand parents still brings smiles.  

Interesting thing however.   After everyone had gotten life adjusted to raising twins......ooops…..about three years later miss unexpected showed up....but what a joy #3  is. .  :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Liquid lunch at Pinkie Masters in Savannah. Get the Old Fashioned.

IMG_20190214_143454_1.jpg

You been there long enough to make it to Savannah for St Paddy's day ? .    Lived there as a kid and the parade was a big event for us....my sister's birthday.....  never got to try the green beer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You been there long enough to make it to Savannah for St Paddy's day ? .    Lived there as a kid and the parade was a big event for us....my sister's birthday.....  never got to try the green beer.

Last year was my first, but we weren't in Savannah for the big party. That ship might have sailed for me. I did go see the green water coming out of the fountain in Forsyth Park, which is very cool. Instead of digging up the picture I'll just take another one next month :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Last year was my first, but we weren't in Savannah for the big party. That ship might have sailed for me. I did go see the green water coming out of the fountain in Forsyth Park, which is very cool. Instead of digging up the picture I'll just take another one next month :)

Still considering Greensboro?    You'd like it....I think it is a good young family town....

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Still considering Greensboro?    You'd like it....I think it is a good young family town....

We are. But McWifey might have stumbled across a better job opportunity while interviewing for the first one. That opening will probably get posted in April. 

She left with a very favorable impression of the city. She did her undergrad there but hasn't really been back, obviously has different priorities now, and also said- as you did- that the town has come along nicely the last 15-20 years. 

We think we could be very happy there as long as 1) the distance from family isn't problematic and 2) we don't ask ourselves what the hell we were thinking moving *away* from the coast.

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We are. But McWifey might have stumbled across a better job opportunity while interviewing for the first one. That opening will probably get posted in April. 

She left with a very favorable impression of the city. She did her undergrad there but hasn't really been back, obviously has different priorities now, and also said- as you did- that the town has come along nicely the last 15-20 years. 

We think we could be very happy there as long as 1) the distance from family isn't problematic and 2) we don't ask ourselves what the hell we were thinking moving *away* from the coast.

Daughter graduated HS there and went to UNCG ....was away for a few years and then back.    I'm amazed at the changes fromwhen I lived there in the 1980s  but we are there frequently and are impressed at  the things our grand daughters are involved in...music, dance, theater, etc.     Nice lakes in the area and neighboring Virginia...and close to the mountains  if you like cooler weather and lower humidity in the summer.

But it's a distance from Alabama for certain.  My family lived in the Mobile area but I  married an NC girl.... so once I ended up in NC, distance became moot...whether Greensboro or Charlotte….everything was a pretty long drive to Mobile but wife's family was in Wilmington....just far enough away for everyone to get along well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Daughter graduated HS there and went to UNCG ....was away for a few years and then back.    I'm amazed at the changes fromwhen I lived there in the 1980s  but we are there frequently and are impressed at  the things our grand daughters are involved in...music, dance, theater, etc.     Nice lakes in the area and neighboring Virginia...and close to the mountains  if you like cooler weather and lower humidity in the summer.

But it's a distance from Alabama for certain.  My family lived in the Mobile area but I  married an NC girl.... so once I ended up in NC, distance became moot...whether Greensboro or Charlotte….everything was a pretty long drive to Mobile but wife's family was in Wilmington....just far enough away for everyone to get along well.

That's really cool to hear that your granddaughters are so involved in the arts, because that's my wife's line of work. And boy do I ever like cooler weather and lower humidity in the summer.

Would love to live in central NC and have inlaws on the coast! That's a pretty solid deal. I sure hear you about "just far enough". Sometimes it was actually a bit of a drain in Atlanta because there were 4 in-law households- the parents and 3 sibs, with 1 of the sibs having kids- all 45-60 minutes from our house. Which meant that we were going to every birthday, holiday, baseball games, etc, and it took close to an hour one way for each one. And lord only knows how many times we got stuck in Atlanta traffic on the way home. (Always on the way home.) Fortunately we got along with everybody quite well, but family is family and I think that even with the best of families, a good thing can turn into too much of a good thing without warning. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's really cool to hear that your granddaughters are so involved in the arts, because that's my wife's line of work. And boy do I ever like cooler weather and lower humidity in the summer.

My daughter and her girls have been involved with Community and Children's Theaters for many years...youngest started at age 5  has been in six productions of Wizard of Oz (six years) starting as a poppy or something and working up to speaking roles... and the older one was in four or five productions and has been a wardrobe coordinator for three seasons.   Youngest has been in a dozen plays, Lion King a couple time and a couple Christmas programs.  We try to make one a year at least.   My daughter explained.....if you had grandsons playing sports you would be attending important games......so dance and theater are "our sports".  though we now have a pretty good HS tennis player to watch. 

https://ctgso.org/ctg_shows/wizard-of-oz/

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

My daughter and her girls have been involved with Community and Children's Theaters for many years...youngest started at age 5  has been in six productions of Wizard of Oz (six years) starting as a poppy or something and working up to speaking roles... and the older one was in four or five productions and has been a wardrobe coordinator for three seasons.   Youngest has been in a dozen plays, Lion King a couple time and a couple Christmas programs.  We try to make one a year at least.   My daughter explained.....if you had grandsons playing sports you would be attending important games......so dance and theater are "our sports".  though we now have a pretty good HS tennis player to watch. 

https://ctgso.org/ctg_shows/wizard-of-oz/

Very cool!

I suppose seeing them accomplish any task they set their minds to is very gratifying for us parents and grands. 

But that's really great that they have that passion and can share it as a family. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Very cool!

I suppose seeing them accomplish any task they set their minds to is very gratifying for us parents and grands. 

But that's really great that they have that passion and can share it as a family. 

lots easier to be a grandparent.... visit 'em, .love 'em and leave 'em.   ....

• Haha 1

It's official, I now have two soccer players. Jillian just won her first game 5-1.

RZTzq6C.jpg

Edited by AUDub
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It's official, I now have two soccer players. Jillian just won her first game 5-1.

RZTzq6C.jpg

Great for her... and you.    My little grandkid soccer players did not have much success...and turned to dance and theater.....at which they have been much more successful.....and it is inside viewing for the grand parents.  ..:)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Great for her... and you.    My little grandkid soccer players did not have much success...and turned to dance and theater.....at which they have been much more successful.....and it is inside viewing for the grand parents.  ..:)

We did dance, which, as a dude, I couldn't stand, but thankfully she's suddenly decided to give soccer a go like her big sister. Sadie has turned into a bad ass keeper for Trussville's 07 competitive team.

Jillian is extremely green, but she played the entire game today, most of which we played a man down, and ended up blowing out Briarwood. She was nervous as hell going into her first game, and today was a huge confidence booster. She's got a lot of learning and growing to do, but we couldn't have asked for a better start.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AUDub said:

We did dance, which, as a dude, I couldn't stand,

Understandable....spent an hour a few afternoons watching other kids dance ...just waiting on our two dancers to appear for about 10 minutes.....and then wait another hour for the event to end so we could give them a bunch of flowers.   Only had a couple years of that until fortunately the dance turned into theater dance/musicals and we gotten to see some very good performances in recent years.  

Come to think of it, the musicals were better than standing around on a cold day watching little knots of kids trying to get the ball clear of the mob so that someone could take a shot …..and parents along the sidelines shouting at their mostly mystified kids to get involved  :)   Unlike the parents.....as grandparents we were not invested in the success of the kids..  .just enjoyed bragging about them after the event. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Come to think of it, the musicals were better than standing around on a cold day watching little knots of kids trying to get the ball clear of the mob so that someone could take a shot …..and parents along the sidelines shouting at their mostly mystified kids to get involved  :)   Unlike the parents.....as grandparents we were not invested in the success of the kids..  .just enjoyed bragging about them after the event. 

Luckily, both girls entered the game relatively late, and Trussville has a great training program. Those big scrums are extremely uncommon at this level. Positional play is emphasized, and just about every touch takes place with lots of space to work. Gives them lots of room to try and be creative. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 8:51 PM, AUDub said:

Ava drew this. The longer I stare at it, the funnier it gets. 

iI1sxGZ.jpg

The funniest thing is the fact that she is actually a pretty good artist. This, however, may be her best work. 

Love this.  So according to the drawing, is it Dad or Mom that is flatulent?  😄

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Love this.  So according to the drawing, is it Dad or Mom that is flatulent?  😄

Momma. Daddy is an alcoholic, apparently. 

• Haha 2