USA Today Coaches Poll 2017

KerryThachWDE

43 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Two national championship game appearances in less than a decade of coaching at Auburn, yet you still don't think he's above average? Wow, you're mighty tough to impress.

Yes, that is meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but when Gus has had adequate QB play, we've been one of the best teams in the country. We saw it in 2010, when Cam took us to the national championship. We saw it in 2013, when Marshall took us to within 13 seconds of the national championship. We saw it in 2014 before the late season collapse (that started because of two fumbles by Marshall against TAMU). And we saw it last season before Sean got hurt.

Now, obviously, I don't know how this season will play out. However, we have more quality QB depth than we've had since Malzahn has been here, and, again, when he's gotten adequate play from his QB at Auburn, Malzahn's teams have been among the best in the country. I don't know that he has to win 10 regular season games to keep his job, but history would dictate that it's likely he'll get to that plateau.

Bravo.  Everyone needs to chill with this fire someone crap all the time.  Granted they make a ton of money but Gus has no control over injuries.  You give a coach 4-5 years generally speaking.  He had a huge failure in JJ6 and then injuries.  Now he has the QB room where he wants it.  If he can't get it done the next 2 years I agree some changes need to be made.  But eliminating his successes and just looking on the failures is no way to go about deciding to fire a coach.  Gus has us exactly where we need to be.  Playing solid defense, a steady special teams, and sometimes a dynamic offense.  He has had us in the discussion for conference and national championship picture 3 of the 4 years he's been here late in the season.  

As I've said before and I love the guy but JJ6 about cost the man his job.  

Gus is clearly one of the top 15 coaches in the country.  The top 2 everyone knows.  The 3rd may be Dabo.  4-15 is anyones guess but Gus is in there.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Two national championship game appearances in less than a decade of coaching at Auburn, yet you still don't think he's above average? Wow, you're mighty tough to impress.

Yes, that is meant to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but when Gus has had adequate QB play, we've been one of the best teams in the country. We saw it in 2010, when Cam took us to the national championship. We saw it in 2013, when Marshall took us to within 13 seconds of the national championship. We saw it in 2014 before the late season collapse (that started because of two fumbles by Marshall against TAMU). And we saw it last season before Sean got hurt.

Now, obviously, I don't know how this season will play out. However, we have more quality QB depth than we've had since Malzahn has been here, and, again, when he's gotten adequate play from his QB at Auburn, Malzahn's teams have been among the best in the country. I don't know that he has to win 10 regular season games to keep his job, but history would dictate that it's likely he'll get to that plateau.

Gus' record as HC at AU thus far is Gene Chizik-like in terms of overall record.  I appreciate it that Gus did not lose the team in 2015 and 2016 like Chizik did in 2011 and 2012, but results matter.  The losing to uga under Gus is totally inexcusable.

wde

@KerryThachWDE How is LSU ahead of us? they have so many question marks and lost 10 guys on offense.   While each season is different obviously, Auburn travels to Baton Rouge this year and we have not won there since the Red Sea parted. Not that that affects this year but it might affect someone voting in a poll thinking that is another win for them JMO. I agree with your point however. 

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Gus' record as HC at AU thus far is Gene Chizik-like in terms of overall record.  I appreciate it that Gus did not lose the team in 2015 and 2016 like Chizik did in 2011 and 2012, but results matter.  The losing to uga under Gus is totally inexcusable.

wde

You know, that argument would hold water except for the fact that it was Malzahn's offense which carried Chizik's team to a national championship. You seem unwilling to give Gustav the least bit of credit for the national championship year, whereas I maintain that he is the coach most responsible for it happening. Without Malzahn, Chizik has nothing. Without Chizik, Malzahn still has an SEC Championship and national title game appearance. Thus, while their records are similar, Malzahn decidedly has the upper hand.

Now, I agree that winning 7-8 games a season is not satisfactory at Auburn. However, I recognize the circumstances in each season and judge proportionally. You seem to care only about the bottom line. And that's okay; it's just not how I see things at Auburn.

14 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You know, that argument would hold water except for the fact that it was Malzahn's offense which carried Chizik's team to a national championship. You seem unwilling to give Gustav the least bit of credit for the national championship year, whereas I maintain that he is the coach most responsible for it happening. Without Malzahn, Chizik has nothing. Without Chizik, Malzahn still has an SEC Championship and national title game appearance. Thus, while their records are similar, Malzahn decidedly has the upper hand.

Now, I agree that winning 7-8 games a season is not satisfactory at Auburn. However, I recognize the circumstances in each season and judge proportionally. You seem to care only about the bottom line. And that's okay; it's just not how I see things at Auburn.

Based on Gus' track record at AU, unless he has a dynamic QB at AU like Cam or Nick, then Gus is a pedestrian AU fan-proclaimed offensive genius.

wde

If Gus is 8-4 at the end of the year I'll gladly put him on the sizzling hotseat.  But this is definitely not the year unless the team just completely implodes.  We have a very tough schedule which is what everyone has been asking for.  Like I mentioned earlier we play 4 teams ranked in the top 15.  

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Based on Gus' track record at AU, unless he has a dynamic QB at AU like Cam or Nick, then Gus is a pedestrian AU fan-proclaimed offensive genius.

wde

Why the exceptions?  But he did have Cam and Nick.  Plus when Sean has been healthy we have been very solid offensively.  JJ6 flopped.  I'll give you that but every indication he was going to be a stud.  We all saw it, we all believed it.  Gus counted on him and recruited that he would be the starter for 2 years.  He thought he could save a scholarship or 2 and help build some depth on defense with those scholarships and put his QB depth at risk when JJ flopped.  So he went for JF3, unproven but was trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did with Nick.  It didn't work out so your thrust a redshirt freshman into the mix in Sean and it's was up and down depending on his health.  

Granted I'll give you Uga last year.  Inexcusable but there is more to a coach then any one game.  However he better start turning that series around quickly.  Bama is just gonna be a tough pull no matter who we have on the sidelines if they recruit to the level they are now.  I'm not giving Gus a pass on the bama games he knows the deal there but there aren't many that are 1-3 against him in the last 4 years either.

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Why the exceptions?  But he did have Cam and Nick.  Plus when Sean has been healthy we have been very solid offensively.  JJ6 flopped.  I'll give you that but every indication he was going to be a stud.  We all saw it, we all believed it.  Gus counted on him and recruited that he would be the starter for 2 years.  He thought he could save a scholarship or 2 and help build some depth on defense with those scholarships and put his QB depth at risk when JJ flopped.  So he went for JF3, unproven but was trying to catch lightning in a bottle like he did with Nick.  It didn't work out so your thrust a redshirt freshman into the mix in Sean and it's was up and down depending on his health.  

Granted I'll give you Uga last year.  Inexcusable but there is more to a coach then any one game.  However he better start turning that series around quickly.  Bama is just gonna be a tough pull no matter who we have on the sidelines if they recruit to the level they are now.  I'm not giving Gus a pass on the bama games he knows the deal there but there aren't many that are 1-3 against him in the last 4 years either.

With the exception of NS (and maybe there too) unless a coach has a very good QB he's not going far in the SEC.   Just to repeat myself from other posts but there is not a coach in the SEC who I would take over Gus....leaving NS out of the discussion.   The UGA series is a problem ....no question...but the college football is QB driven and even NS can't win with just anyone under center despite his defenses.  And about any offensive scheme is mediocre against a good defense unless there is a good QB directing it.  

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Cam and Nick were dropped in Gus' lap other than recruiting them.  Same goes for Stidham.  They were all developed (other than Nick who had just natural talent) as QBs before they got to Gus.  

Regarding uga, 2014 and 2015 were just as damning to Gus as 2016.  If you add Texas A&M in 2014, Clemson and A&M in 2016 plus other games (Jax State and LSU in 2015 for example), then yes, you can point to Gus as being at best average.

wde

3 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Polls are opinion and opinions are like buttholes. Everybody has one.  

At this point, I really don't care what the polls say.  The season will play out and the polls will take care of themselves.

And most of them stink. :rimshot:

3 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Cam and Nick were dropped in Gus' lap other than recruiting them.  Same goes for Stidham.  They were all developed (other than Nick who had just natural talent) as QBs before they got to Gus.  

Regarding uga, 2014 and 2015 were just as damning to Gus as 2016.  If you add Texas A&M in 2014, Clemson and A&M in 2016 plus other games (Jax State and LSU in 2015 for example), then yes, you can point to Gus as being at best average.

wde

Arkie last year?  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Michigan is getting love from whoever... no clue.

Okie State will be the best team in the Big12 and their schedule is cake.  

I tend to think Okie State wins the Big12 this year. Nothing to really base it on other than their schedule. I really do think they'll be the best team in that conference though. 

4 minutes ago, PDub said:

Prolly the mullet

Strong mullet but outside of our own coach I love Gundy the most.

Plus like they have probably the most underrated QB in the country IMO in Mason Rudolph

At worst I see Okie State at 9-3 and thats if they lose their tossup games.  Schedule is weak with a down bottom half of the conf.  

They have Okie at home, texas on the road and west virginia on the road in back to back games.  I think they lose one of those road games.  Toss up with Oklahoma and have them at home.  TCU, Baylor, TT are all down at the moment.  KSU could be a surprise late in the season but my prediction is 11-1.  

I cannot figure out why Lsu is ahead of us in this poll. Uga is also a head scratcher imho.? (maybe Uga is a butt instead of a head scratcher)

1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

I cannot figure out why Lsu is ahead of us in this poll. Uga is also a head scratcher imho.? (maybe Uga is a butt instead of a head scratcher)

Uga's schedule is horrible.  They play us and florida and that's about it.  Tennessee with a new starter QB, a horrendous defensive team in ND, and then the usual east opponents.  

I think they play 3 ranked teams.  AU, UF, UTk.   AU away, UF jacksonville, UTk at home.  

4 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

LSU - someone has to be 3rd in the west.  In an opinion based poll without looking to deep it's either us or LSU a few more unknowing coaches (or AD's or media relations person) chose LSU to be 2nd then chose us.

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

I resemble that

Sure, but I never understand this thinking and it permeates our fan base so much.

At the end of the day, the ultimate goal is to be #1 right? Guess what? If you are #1 this year, the responsibility only goes up again next year. No such thing as jinxes, hocus pocus, etc. Get out there and play up to par for 60 minutes and it will work itself out. Quite frankly, if you are getting top ten classes, you should be in the top ten. There is absolutely no reason a team like the AGGIES are out of the top 25 with the talent they have. Zero excuses for that and as a fan, I would be livid.

30 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

So what? How does that change anything about my statement that when Gus has had adequate QB play, we've been one of the best teams in the country? And, by all accounts, we have a very good QB at the helm this year, with another solid QB slated behind him, and a freshman who looks pretty darned good behind those two. It matters not that Malzahn, himself, is not a QB guru. That's why he hired Chip Lindsey.

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Sure, but I never understand this thinking and it permeates our fan base so much.

At the end of the day, the ultimate goal is to be #1 right? Guess what? If you are #1 this year, the responsibility only goes up again next year. No such thing as jinxes, hocus pocus, etc. Get out there and play up to par for 60 minutes and it will work itself out. Quite frankly, if you are getting top ten classes, you should be in the top ten. There is absolutely no reason a team like the AGGIES are out of the top 25 with the talent they have. Zero excuses for that and as a fan, I would be livid.

DAG I agree with you but situations happen that depth becomes a concern.  If every team on bama's schedule wasn't looking at a loss squarely in the face then it'd be kind of usual.  Again I'm not giving any passes to bama but reality is reality.  Takes a special team to beat them.  Plus AU has a "pattern" of reading their own press clippings as they used to say when getting ranked high.  It's made people cautious.  

aTm - look at their schedule.  AU, @LSU, Bama, @UF, Ark, @USCe, @UCLA, Miss State, and @OM.  If they lose to the teams "ranked" in front of them they have 4 losses already,  If they are somehow able to split the road games 2-1 at USC, OM and UCLA you're looking at 5 losses.  Any slip up and you're at 6... even with all the talent they have.  SEC West is a cruel cruel world especially if you pull UGA, UF, or even UTk from the east on your schedule.  

Who would rank them in the top 25 starring at 5/6 losses?

36 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Who would rank them in the top 25 starring at 5/6 losses?

IMO teams should not be ranked because of their schedule or what you "think" could happen by the end of the season. It should purely be "do I think this team is better than that team as of right now".

Which brings me to my biggest poll issue. Texas ranked? A team that wasn't even bowl eligible is now top 25 because of a new coach? Maybe they can get to that point by the end of the season, but like I said before this should be a poll of right now.

6 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

IMO teams should not be ranked because of their schedule or what you "think" could happen by the end of the season. It should purely be "do I think this team is better than that team as of right now".

Talent beats coaching almost always but some coaches get a little more out of talent or scheme a little better.  

As my dad always used to say,  "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t"

So for you a good poll to look at is the composite recruiting rankings combined over the last 4-5 years and then ranked against each other.  

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

As my dad always used to say,  "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t"

That is beautiful.

Archived