Sean White dismissed

PigskinPat

I think people have figured Gus out. He's not a guru. And people gave him passes. Like last year. Many of you will go to your grave saying we were good when sw played....that's not it. We played weak teams when he happened to play. His offense is good if the o line can down right physically dominate. Any resistance to that we lose period. Games where strategy, technique come into play? We haven't won them in the last 3 years

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think people have figured Gus out. He's not a guru. And people gave him passes. Like last year. Many of you will go to your grave saying we were good when sw played....that's not it. We played weak teams when he happened to play. His offense is good if the o line can down right physically dominate. Any resistance to that we lose period. Games where strategy, technique come into play? We haven't won them in the last 3 years

Mostly I agree with you, but the other component of that run last year was that Rhett was calling the plays. And we were *dominating* teams. We'd never beaten an SEC team like we thumped Arkansas last year. Last year Arkansas beat Ole Miss, Mississippi State, TCU and the pants off Florida. 

But, yes, Gus clearly has lost his ability to run an offense. I don't think anybody is disputing that at this point. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Mostly I agree with you, but the other component of that run last year was that Rhett was calling the plays. And we were *dominating* teams. We'd never beaten an SEC team like we thumped Arkansas last year. Last year Arkansas beat Ole Miss, Mississippi State, TCU and the pants off Florida. 

But, yes, Gus clearly has lost his ability to run an offense. I don't think anybody is disputing that at this point. 

Sideline communication during that stretch was visibly noticeable and much better during that stretch too.  I distinctly remember feeling like players knew their assignments and went out and executed much more smoothly than in other games.  

At one point in last weeks game I swear I saw our WRs blocking while Stid was rolling out looking for an open receiver, it was on a 3rd down and I forget what qtr but it was evident some folks weren't on the same page.  

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You left out Shaun Shivers. Some are saying that he's the best football player at any position in South Florida. 

If we're talking about size, then we've established before that we don't share that preoccupation. We'll just have to continue to agree to disagree on that part. 

As for what Miller and K. Martin have shown, they've actually both shown to be pretty effective, other than Martin putting the ball on the carpet a little too much. Miller was a meaningful contributor until he got hurt last season. Martin has made plays every time he's been allowed to touch the ball. Barrett... who knows. He's another guy who looked great in practice but Gus has mystifyingly refused to play him in games.

And that's what it comes back to for me. Pettway got every carry against *Mercer*? With an injured foot??? That's when fans tend to get angry and call their coach crazy. At this point, I refuse to believe that Gus is consistently making good decisions about who is on the field, or really about anything where the offense is concerned. His judgment and, quite honestly, sanity are wide open for discussion. His is definitely not the final word on how good our RBs are. 

We don't have bama's stable of backs, that's for sure. But we've got 5 guys on campus... okay, 3 and 2 injury-prone guys (funny that nobody's saying that Pettway isn't an every-down back)... who can play. We've got 2 more studs coming in unless something happens with their recruitment, in which case we probably have bigger problems.

Final point: Even in our worst year, we can get a Peyton Barber to 1,000 yards. Without a QB, though, we're not winning many important games. 

I did forget about Shivers, and I'm also very excited about him. Thank you for reminding me.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but I think our differences have always been about whether we see KJ as an every down back, and you're right that I have cited to his size among other factors in the past to support my position, but I can't recall us coming to differences about RB size as a general rule. 

As a general rule, top SEC backs weigh around and over 200 pounds. That's not my opinion, it just is what it is. And, it applies to Auburn's top running backs. So, if I do have a preoccupation with size, that's why. I'm not saying it can't be done, but Kam Martin becoming a successful RB1 for Auburn would constitute an exception to the rule. The last exception that I can think of is what Dexter McCluster did during the second half of the 2009 season. 

I agree that Kam Martin has been shown to be effective as a role player. As an every down back he's also shined, but against weaker, smaller teams: Alabama A&M and Georgia Southern. Not to take anything away from either of those two fantastic performances, but I'm asking whether he can withstand 20+ carries over the course of a full SEC schedule. Malik Miller played 2 games and 16 snaps in 2016 against Arkansas State and Louisiana Monroe. He had 3 carries against Georgia Southern. So, its difficult for me to say that Miller has been a "meaningful" contributor.

I can't understand for the life of me why Gus has been so reluctant to use our other backs more. However, when you've got 3 guys on the bench, and you refuse to take an injured player out of the game, that tells me something. Is Gus rational? No. But, I don't see him risking his job and Pettway's health if he has another player on the bench that can be trusted perform that job in a tough spot or big game. Assuming there isn't such a player, it doesn't excuse the lack of rotation. I just don't know what else to think. 

Question about Shivers

Will our staff even let him on the field? I mean the defense usually plays at least ONE linebacker at a time and if our current RBs aren't big enough........

*edit: not a knock on Shivers at all I think he can be an explosive weapon for us

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We beat arky with jj, we beat them another time with just throwing something like 5 passes. Then we went on to do the exact same thing with Tennessee. But there wasn't a game where we couldn't run the ball and sw put it on his shoulders. Which of course isn't his fault but he didn't have to play teams like that. Even when jj played Gus can make it look good. But a team making it where we would have to pick and pop them to death, (pretty much intermediate routes or whatnot) Gus hasn't been able to handle that

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

@Barnacle, your last paragraph is exactly the kind of thing I said until last year's Clemson game.

I'm more of a let a guy show you. They said sw was a much better real game player than practice...show me that kam Martin and Malik Miller is worse than a hurt and tired pettway. Let's not forget the ONLY reason we know about kp is injury and guys quitting.....

I saw this on 24/7 and credit to the poster who posted it.   Sean was let go for making bad decisions that were detrimental to himself and the team.   Shouldn't Malzahn follow him for doing the same thing, especially since he's paid 4.5 million for making decisions?.    I do agree with the dismissal though, and would agree with the same thing concerning Malzahn

Archived