Sean White dismissed

PigskinPat

59 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Layne kiffin gets another one 

seriously......if SW can get it together, than maybe Kiffin can use a QB that has potential when his head is on straight.  just hope this is not a Johnny Manziel issue with SW having the same kind of mental illness. This is such as sad situation.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

seriously......if SW can get it together, than maybe Kiffin can use a QB that has potential when his head is on straight.

Sean goes juco. Lights it up. Then goes to West Va. tenth in the draft . 

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

There has to be more to this story than just a public intoxication arrest?  This sounds like something very serious that was called a PI arrest to avoid public scrutiny. I'm not looking to pile on the kid but hope he's okay. Da'Shawn Hand was arrested for a DUI and he's still there.

No, it was a public intox arrest.  But this wasn't just the 2nd or even third time this issue has come up with Sean.  

1 hour ago, nurbis said:

The thing that frustrates me is bammer players do all of this same stuff and worse and get no suspensions, no discipline, and only get kicked off the team if they nearly kill a guy. Then the players get welcomed back a year later. Guys fail drug tests 8 times and no discipline. Guy gets a DUI and some BS story that he was asleep in the car and no discipline. Guy with drugs and illegal firearm in the middle of the night and no legal trouble or discipline. There need to be across the board NCAA enforcement rules of suspensions for these type of issues. Schools shouldn't get to allow players to be criminals with no repercussions as long as they produce on the field.  

These issues had come up multiple times with Sean and he was still playing.  This wasn't just the 2nd or 3rd incident with him and this stuff.  It's just the 2nd or 3rd you made public.

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

So, are we the only power 5 program with only two scholarship QBs on its roster? I have never seen Auburn so shallow at the QB position before. 

Bama only has 2 at the moment. A Sophomore and a true freshman.

37 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Yeah. It's really sad. It seems to have gotten worse since he lost his starting position. Some people are able to handle disappointment better than others. Seems like he's just really spiraling out of control at the moment.

That interview he did after not getting the starting job seemed telling of a mature beyond his years young man. I'm not saying that these shortcomings now define him but I really wish he stayed the course as he implied.

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

Gus made every effort to help this kid, including some tough love at times, he tried to show him that there were consequences to off the field actions.  When Gus was finally forced to let up and had no recourse but to throw SW on the field, he (Gus) then tried positive reinforcement to help the kid grow up, take that leadership role and push him even further to make good choices both on and off the field.  

Totally agree. I see where my post might have read differently than I intended.

I only meant to suggest that Gus being reluctant to start Sean- at a time when, IMO, he was clearly our best option at QB in terms of ability to lead the offense- might have been a clue that Sean wasn't meeting all obligations off the field. It was a clue that I didn't quickly pick up on and I regret some of my criticisms of Gus at the time. 

Speaking of, I very much respect the way Gus has managed the locker room. We're averaging about one major discipline issue a season, and I can live with that. Elijah Daniel, Duke Williams, Jovon Robinson, and now Sean White. Am I missing any? I mean, it super duper sucks that it's those names, but overall I feel like we're running a pretty tight ship.

The offense has been a massive disappointment for too long now, but that shouldn't cloud what Gus has been doing right. Which is a lot. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

There is plenty more to this story, an accumulation of over a year of almost continuous little issues.  CGM, the coaching staff, fellow teammates, and many AU people provided resources to help educate our student-athletes stepped up big time to aid SW.  In my opinion Gus was beyond patient and the AD exhausted every effort to provide resources to help the kid grow up, mature, make better decisions and grow into a  leadership role.

***Not directed at you personally, but I really wish people would STOP comparing any and everything Auburn does to Alabama.  Every program, every coaching staff runs their program's the way they see fit.  Gus Malzhan does not run his program like Nick Saban and I'm perfectly fine with that.:dunno:

Thank you for this. It's good to hear that every attempt was made to help him. I hope he reaches the point where he accepts some help.

1 hour ago, nurbis said:

The thing that frustrates me is bammer players do all of this same stuff and worse and get no suspensions, no discipline, and only get kicked off the team if they nearly kill a guy. Then the players get welcomed back a year later. Guys fail drug tests 8 times and no discipline. Guy gets a DUI and some BS story that he was asleep in the car and no discipline. Guy with drugs and illegal firearm in the middle of the night and no legal trouble or discipline. There need to be across the board NCAA enforcement rules of suspensions for these type of issues. Schools shouldn't get to allow players to be criminals with no repercussions as long as they produce on the field.  

Bammers play by a diffeeent set of rules.  Not fair, just the way it is.  Welcome to the politics of college football.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I hate to see this, but expected as much once the final straw broke the camel's back Saturday night.

What exactly happened to SW Saturday night that was so awful he felt the need to get wasted?

8 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

What exactly happened to SW Saturday night that was so awful he felt the need to get wasted?

I'd bet that most of our team got wasted Saturday night.

And no, I'm not trying to make some sort of joke based on our team's performance but it was homecoming weekend and a Saturday night And these are college kids that are on a football team. They will take advantage of the party perks they get on weekend evenings.

10 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Some don't need a reason, just an opportunity.

The mix of college football stardom, fast ladies, endless parties, people wanted to hang with u, booze, drugs, etc. For some players it's a bad mix. They just can't handle it. SW was one of them. Good luck kid.

Very sorry for Sean.  I can understand his frustration with all the injuries, poor coaching and being replaced as the starter but as Forrest Gump's mama said "stupid is as stupid does."  I just wish he had hung in there as the backup and waited on his chance.   Even if Stidham stayed healthy all season and remained the starter Sean was going to be able to choose a situation where he could go in as a graduate transfer next year.  Now a lot of coaches are going to see him as a problem and many are not going to want to invest time and effort on him because he has shown he can't be trusted.  

I do support Gus in dismissing him.  I don't think he had much choice.  

16 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

More worrisome is how did he manage to get arrested in Auburn, being a well-known QB, on a Saturday night when the cops could take their choice at a PI arrest. I don't think I want to know.

I know I'll probably get hammered for this by a few people, but going to say it anyway. I always have taught the youth in my church that if you don't ever take that first drink of alcohol, you will never be an alcoholic and you don't ever partake of that first drug, you will never be a drug addict. Abstinence is always the best policy to not ruining your life (doesn't mean it won't get ruined some other way; in my case marrying the wrong woman). Just think if Sean hadn't taken that first drink, he would not be in the embarrassing situation he is in now.

9 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I know I'll probably get hammered for this by a few people, but going to say it anyway. I always have taught the youth in my church that if you don't ever take that first drink of alcohol, you will never be an alcoholic and you don't ever partake of that first drug, you will never be a drug addict. Abstinence is always the best policy to not ruining your life (doesn't mean it won't get ruined some other way; in my case marrying the wrong woman). Just think if Sean hadn't taken that first drink, he would not be in the embarrassing situation he is in now.

Not going to hammer you, but could you close the barn door now that the horse is gone? 

2 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Will the NCAA also oversee which students can stay on scholarship who aren't in sports?  Are they going to be subject to the exact same requirements?  If the answer is no then the whole argument can't come to fruition. It's either for all scholarship students or none IMO.  

same requirements would also mean student athletes would  need to maintain a 3.0 to stay on scholarship, of course the argument could be made that would be a good thing 

20 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I bet you're fun at parties.

2 hours ago, keesler said:

There is plenty more to this story, an accumulation of over a year of almost continuous little issues.  CGM, the coaching staff, fellow teammates, and many AU people provided resources to help educate our student-athletes stepped up big time to aid SW.  In my opinion Gus was beyond patient and the AD exhausted every effort to provide resources to help the kid grow up, mature, make better decisions and grow into a  leadership role.

***Not directed at you personally, but I really wish people would STOP comparing any and everything Auburn does to Alabama.  Every program, every coaching staff runs their program's the way they see fit.  Gus Malzhan does not run his program like Nick Saban and I'm perfectly fine with that.:dunno:

I know this is true

From the looks of his mugshot he looked like he could care less about being arrested, could be the booze or whatever he was on. But to me it said a lot more is going on than meets the eyes.

22 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Good policy. Unfortunately, that's a tough sell these days. Anyhow, that ship has sailed in this case. SW may not even truly be an addict of any particular substance, just having fun or dealing with some issues and it gets polarized by being an SEC player. 

Either way, the route for him now begins with grace and humility. Get the right people in his life and he will be just fine. Unfortunately, very few people these days are willing to be the right people. 

Archived