Sean White dismissed

PigskinPat

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, gr82be said:

Some here don't like Scarbinsky but I think he's the one writer at the place which shall remain nameless on this board, who tells it like it is and he nailed this too:

Don't blame Gus Malzahn for Sean White's mistakes

By Kevin Scarbinsky

Of all the issues troubling the Auburn football team three games into the 2017 season, here's one we didn't see coming. Sean White is no longer a member of the team.

The former starting quarterback who lost his job when Jarrett Stidham signed up lost his roster spot after White's late Saturday night arrest for public intoxication.

That was the last strike for Gus Malzahn, who dismissed White and explained his reasoning in a three-sentence statement. One of those sentences resonated more than the others.

"He has made poor decisions that are not in the best interest of our program, and more importantly, himself," the statement said.

Translation: The person most responsible for White's behavior that led to his dismissal is White himself. Going forward, he has more important things to worry about than football.

Let's hope, with the help of family, friends and the toughness he's displayed on the field, he gets back on the right path.

A look back at Sean White's up-and-down Auburn career

If White's two-game suspension to start the season wasn't enough of a clue that he might not be handling his backup status well, his arrest after not getting any snaps against Mercer made it clear.

Remember his admirable August press conference after Stidham inevitably was named the starter? White said all the right things that day and was praised for being a stand-up guy by many - me included - but his actions have spoken louder than those words.

His actions, some of which predated his demotion, suggest he needs to forget about football and focus on life for a while. Now he can do just that.

Now about the embattled head coach. For all his faults, Malzahn remains in the minority as a head coach willing to cut loose a talented player for unacceptable behavior despite his potential value to the team.

See Duke Williams, Jovon Robinson, etc.

Unless White committed multiple violations of an Auburn policy that demanded his dismissal, Malzahn deserves some credit for making a decision that leaves his team terribly thin at the most important position on the field.

Thanks to a combination of questionable evaluation and development, which is on the head coach, Auburn is left with two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster. That's an uneasy place to be with nine regular-season games to play and an offense that surrendered 11 sacks against Clemson.

If at all possible, it would be in Malzahn's best interests to get White some help with his issues and keep him around as an experienced insurance policy. What if Stidham can't withstand another blitzkrieg by a real defense? What if true freshman Malik Willis simply isn't ready to assume the position should Stidham get nicked and sidelined for a play, a series or longer?

Instead the Tigers are left with a starter still shaking off the rust of a two-year layoff and a backup fresh out of high school still learning the ropes.

What Sean White's dismissal means for Auburn at QB

If you want to blame Malzahn for keeping White in last year's Georgia game far too long with an obviously wounded wing, go right ahead. Be my guest. I've got your back.

If you want to blame Malzahn for signing a minimally mobile drop-back passer to compete for the starting quarterback job after Nick Marshall's successful run at the position, join the crowd.

White reached his peak during last year's six-game winning streak, but let's be honest. The hyperventilation of Trent Dilfer and others to the contrary, he was never going to be the quarterback to beat Alabama and lead Auburn back to the SEC Championship Game.

So you can blame Malzahn for a number of things where White's concerned, but if you want to blame the coach for the young man's inability to avoid poor decisions, go there on your own. That's a bridge too far from what's fair.

I actually enjoy reading his articles because this very reason.  I can usually find them by the title of the article.

37 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

So we departed 4 quarterbacks in one summer/fall? 

Sadly but who can blame 3 of them. One didn't have what it takes, one wouldn't do what it takes and one couldn't catch a break. The 4th is just sad to consider what will happen if he can't get things turned around. 

On 9/18/2017 at 6:22 PM, WDE0007 said:

He's a good kid and a talented player, and I do hope he takes advantage of his next opportunity, where ever it may be.

However, Sean's off-the-field issues go all the way back to the 2015 season. I'm going to preface this by saying I graduated from Auburn a little over a year ago. Us students know things, students know people who know people who've witnessed it. This is all from highly reliable insiders.

As many of you have pointed out, Malzahn always seemed reluctant on naming him the starter and sometimes seemed like he would try to avoid it. From what I know and have heard from reliable insiders, CGM indeed was. The coaches knew he was the best QB on the roster in 2015, however there were off-the-field issues that needed to be fixed before giving him the privilege of being QB1 of a major football program. Yes, I believe being QB1 is a privilege, not a right. Please don't hate me for that statement. After the season was progressing the way it did with JJ6 behind center, the coaches gave Sean the chance (obvious reasons are, well, obvious).

Same thing emerged in 2016. They knew he was the best QB on the roster. They knew strictly in terms of playing, he was the best choice. However, the off-the-field issues had the coaching staff reluctant. But again, they gave him the chance at QB1 again for obvious reasons.

His suspension and subsequent dismissal is an accumulation of three seasons worth of off-the-field issues. Personally, I think CGM made the right call and I support him on this one. It wasn't an easy decision for him; he finally had depth at QB. But he also gave Sean multiple opportunities to fix it and tried to help. As his coach, there's only so much he can do until he bites the bullet and lets his player go.

Very interesting you gave a student perspective - why you may ask? Because this summer, I had a few AU interns at work who were NOT fans of SW for many different reasons. Their reasons were based on different things, but it was almost shocking to me since he had such a Rambo attitude on the field. 

The mom in me is so heartbroken for his family...I think his brother is on scholarship playing football for Notre Dame (if I recall correctly). That I imagine, will be very hard for SW. 

13 hours ago, jAUSon said:

So we departed 4 quarterbacks in one summer/fall? 

That's kind of misleading though.  JF3 wasn't going to play QB and had moved to WR.  Tyler Queen never recovered from his shoulder injuries.  Woody Barrett was frankly lazy as far as preparation and working to be in the mix.  Sean has personal issues.  Only the latter two were realistic options at the position and both situations are totally on them.

Pay attention to JJ here. 

"A kid can't live his dream because of what the fan base say"

Now of course the fan base has nothing to do with his mistakes and him living his dream so JJ is pretty far off base on that one, HOWEVER, it proves these KIDS hear what you all are saying.  It's time to stop bashing everyone and start lifting them up. They deserve better. 

Hope Sean finds a good landing spot and kills it there. Really think he can be a great QB for a team that will play to his talents. He should have left AU after spring training though....wasted some valuable time sticking around. 

45 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Pay attention to JJ here. 

"A kid can't live his dream because of what the fan base say"

Now of course the fan base has nothing to do with his mistakes and him living his dream so JJ is pretty far off base on that one, HOWEVER, it proves these KIDS hear what you all are saying.  It's time to stop bashing everyone and start lifting them up. They deserve better. 

I zoomed in more on the second part of that sentence for some reason...."A kid can't live his dream because of what the fan base say.....and whoever else above the head coach!!

A lotta meddlin been goin on for years can't be a good thing for the program.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

The fan base didn't cause Sean's issues, or JJ's.  

Of course not!  I just hope like hell that the whoever else above the head coach didn't add any fuel to the fire.

Kinda like Gus receiving directives from higher up's in the wake of the CU game that he had to can his clip board, completely step away from the offense and the decision to move Lindsey physically as far away from Gus as possible up to the booth.

Who the hell's pulling Gus' strings, and is that individual(s) qualified, educated, or experienced enough to be able to make those type of detailed decisions relative to D1 level coaching?

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

Of course not!  I just hope like hell that the whoever else above the head coach didn't add any fuel to the fire.

Kinda like Gus receiving directives from higher up's in the wake of the CU game that he had to can his clip board, completely step away from the offense and the decision to move Lindsey physically as far away from Gus as possible up to the booth.

Who the hell's pulling Gus' strings, and is that individual(s) qualified, educated, or experienced enough to be able to make those type of detailed decisions relative to D1 level coaching?

I'd bet a cup of coffee that Ellis Johnson could tell you some things. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd bet a cup of coffee that Ellis Johnson could tell you some things. 

This. I don't think anyone whose been on this board for a while has any misunderstanding about the PTB meddling with Auburn. If you lived through the Tubby years it's pretty apparent.

Shoot, if you worked for the school system at some point you know full well how bad the unseen powers can be. They will micromanage every hole punch if allowed. Takes a very strong willed coach to stand against those pressures.

35 minutes ago, War Knight said:

This. I don't think anyone whose been on this board for a while has any misunderstanding about the PTB meddling with Auburn. If you lived through the Tubby years it's pretty apparent.

Shoot, if you worked for the school system at some point you know full well how bad the unseen powers can be. They will micromanage every hole punch if allowed. Takes a very strong willed coach to stand against those pressures.

One could wonder, when the PTB are searching for a new coach, do they like an up and comer so they can "mold" them into the coach they want?  It seems that has been the case at Auburn for a while now.  If this is the case, we may be looking for another up and comer in the near future.  Offensively, it seems, we have lost our way.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

That's kind of misleading though.  JF3 wasn't going to play QB and had moved to WR.  Tyler Queen never recovered from his shoulder injuries.  Woody Barrett was frankly lazy as far as preparation and working to be in the mix.  Sean has personal issues.  Only the latter two were realistic options at the position and both situations are totally on them.

Massively missing on 33% of your QB evals is pretty bad. And that's leaving out all the usual suspects from prior years that these conversations often involve. 

Gus thought JFIII and Woody Barrett could be SEC QBs. His poor judgment is very much a factor in our current depth problem at the position. 

Edit: And, so far, Stidham hasn't been nearly as good as we'd hoped. Willis remains to be seen. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Massively missing on 33% of your QB evals is pretty bad. And that's leaving out all the usual suspects from prior years that these conversations often involve. 

Gus thought JFIII and Woody Barrett could be SEC QBs. His poor judgment is very much a factor in our current depth problem at the position. 

33% is a generous number in favor of Gus if you look back at his tenure at Auburn.

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: And, so far, Stidham hasn't been nearly as good as we'd hoped. Willis remains to be seen. 

I don't disagree.  I was simply responding to the idea that we lost 4 QBs in one year.

31 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

33% is a generous number in favor of Gus if you look back at his tenure at Auburn.

Again, I'm just going to point out some numbers at that school up the road.  QB signees at Alabama under Saban:

Nick Fanuzzi - transferred

Brad Smelley - transferred

Star Jackson - transferred

AJ McCarron - three year starter

Philip Sims- transferred

Phillip Ely - transferred

Alec Morris - transferred

Blake Sims - starter as a senior (was signed as an ATH)

Jake Coker - transferred in from FSU, starter as senior 

Cooper Bateman - transferred

Parker McCloud - transferred

David Cornwell - transferred

Blake Barnett - transferred

Jalen Hurts - current starter

Tua Tagovailoa - 2017 signee

Mac Jones - 2017 signee

That is 11 out of 16 signees who transferred out, for a retention rate of 31.25% at the QB position.  That's an awful lot of poor evaluation if this is how we're measuring coaches.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't disagree.  I was simply responding to the idea that we lost 4 QBs in one year.

Okay. The "totally on them" bit at the end read to me as though you were addressing the issue of blame. 

That said, I still don't see how it's misleading. We went into the offseason with 6 scholarship QBs and now we have 2. Unless you count the guy who might be moving over from WR. 

If we're lucky, we'll have 4 guys going into next offseason- Stidham, hopefully a sophomore instead of a RS FR in Willis, and 2 true freshmen. And Ryan Davis. Unless we get Gatewood, Fields and Torrance Gibson. Then we'd have 5. And Ryan Davis.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, I'm just going to point out some numbers at that school up the road.  QB signees at Alabama under Saban:

Nick Fanuzzi - transferred

Brad Smelley - transferred

Star Jackson - transferred

AJ McCarron - three year starter

Philip Sims- transferred

Phillip Ely - transferred

Alec Morris - transferred

Blake Sims - starter as a senior (was signed as an ATH)

Jake Coker - transferred in from FSU, starter as senior 

Cooper Bateman - transferred

Parker McCloud - transferred

David Cornwell - transferred

Blake Barnett - transferred

Jalen Hurts - current starter

Tua Tagovailoa - 2017 signee

Mac Jones - 2017 signee

That is 11 out of 16 signees who transferred out, for a retention rate of 31.25% at the QB position.  That's an awful lot of poor evaluation if this is how we're measuring coaches.

It's one thing to transfer because you got beat out by a better guy. Its another thing to transfer because you failed miserably . A lot of those Bama guys left or didn't make it because the guy in front of them was flat out better and it showed on the field . 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay. The "totally on them" bit at the end read to me as though you were addressing the issue of blame. 

That said, I still don't see how it's misleading. We went into the offseason with 6 scholarship QBs and now we have 2. Unless you count the guy who might be moving over from WR. 

If we're lucky, we'll have 4 guys going into next offseason- Stidham, hopefully a sophomore instead of a RS FR in Willis, and 2 true freshmen. And Ryan Davis. Unless we get Gatewood, Fields and Torrance Gibson. Then we'd have 5. And Ryan Davis.

I see where you’re coming Fromm now. I guess I was sort of addressing blame. Just saying we lost 4 qbs seemed to imply that with no deeper examination, it was all the coach’s fault. But we had two who were misevaluated. The other was a very good qb that made dumb life choices and another that was unlucky with injuries. That doesn’t seem alarming to me in terms of coaching just sucky timing. 

Amd that’s not to be taken as a general blanket acceptance of Gus’s qb decisions. 

Archived