Bama and UGA twice?

Ber798297

I know we shouldn’t look ahead but I did and it got me thinking.  Hypothetical, but could we play bama and UGA twice?  Here’s how I see it could possibly play out:  we win out up to UGA.  Beat them and come into the iron bowl with one loss.  The way UGA is playing, they will make it to ATL repping the East.  If we beat bama, (which will most likely be their only loss) we go to ATL and face UGA a second time.  Now let’s say we beat UGA again.  We’re in the playoff.  Now, if we’re bama’s only loss, I don’t see them dropping out of the top four.  I could be wrong about that but the AP and Coaches won’t drop them... too much love and respect.  I’m guessing the committee may think the same way.  So, if bama is in the playoff as well, we could face them twice as well.  Again this is all hypothetically speaking of course!

35 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Why not add Clemson for the championship game?

The toughest schedule EVER!!!  ;D

Forgot about them!!!

I VERY strongly doubt two SEC teams make it into the playoffs this season with the way the conference as a whole has looked. I'll admit that the greatest likelihood of it happening would be for us to win out and Bama's only loss being to us, but the rest of the country would throw a conniption fit if we get two teams in when the conference is down.

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I VERY strongly doubt two SEC teams make it into the playoffs this season with the way the conference as a whole has looked. I'll admit that the greatest likelihood of it happening would be for us to win out and Bama's only loss being to us, but the rest of the country would throw a conniption fit if we get two teams in when the conference is down.

Had the playoff been in effect in 2013, it would have happened. 

It will happen. Just a matter of when. 

6 hours ago, CCslim said:

With this team I'm going to take it one game at a time

run game hasn't got going yet and no offensive consistency as far as Rythm yet.

Say what??  Did you fall asleep and wake up 2 weeks later?  What game did you watch yesterday? Certainly wasn't ours. Running game killed it. Passing game demolished it (against what was a top 5 in the nation pass defense before the game). But I guess we didn't score 66 so there is that...

3 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Had the playoff been in effect in 2013, it would have happened. 

It will happen. Just a matter of when. 

Honestly, it would've happened man times during the BCS era if a playoff had been in place--Nebraska and Colorado in 2001, USCw and UC Berkeley in 2004, Ohio State and Michigan in 2006, Oklahoma and Texas in 2008, Alabama and Florida in 2009, Alabama and LSU in 2011, and us and Alabama in 2013.

28 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Honestly, it would've happened man times during the BCS era if a playoff had been in place--Nebraska and Colorado in 2001, USCw and UC Berkeley in 2004, Ohio State and Michigan in 2006, Oklahoma and Texas in 2008, Alabama and Florida in 2009, Alabama and LSU in 2011, and us and Alabama in 2013.

Of course. I've noted many of those on numerous occasions. And Alabama and Florida in 2008. And Alabama and Florida in 2012.

4 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Say what??  Did you fall asleep and wake up 2 weeks later?  What game did you watch yesterday? Certainly wasn't ours. Running game killed it. Passing game demolished it (against what was a top 5 in the nation pass defense before the game). But I guess we didn't score 66 so there is that...

He's just being a realist. Only two SEC teams ahead of us in total defense...UGA and Bama. Yep. And we're behind Clemson.We'll have to keep getting better in both run and short passing game to beat those jokers.  

4 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

He's just being a realist. Only two SEC teams ahead of us in total defense...UGA and Bama. Yep. And we're behind Clemson.We'll have to keep getting better in both run and short passing game to beat those jokers.  

You're right Randman. we need to pump the brakes here on our passing game and see the whole picture. We can throw all night on the remaining teams we have til we get to the UGA game. That passing game we had Sat. will not work against UGA and Bama. Stidham will not have time to stand back there and throw 45 yd. passes to wide open receivers. We are going to have to develop a short to medium range passing game that includes throwing to the TE and RB, and also Pettway is going to have to get back to the same beast he was running the ball last year; he is nowhere near that at this point. If these two things don't develop before UGA, then I think we have repeats of the Clemson game with them and Bama.

15 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I have a feeling the rest of the country throws a conniption fit if there are two teams from any conference in a 4 team playoff.  Between the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, and ACC, there are likely to be at least three one loss (or better) conference champions from that lineup.  The SEC Championship Game winner is already basically guaranteed a slot.  A team that did not make it to that game (or lost it), has no business in the national championship picture afterwards.

40 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

You're right Randman. we need to pump the brakes here on our passing game and see the whole picture. We can throw all night on the remaining teams we have til we get to the UGA game. That passing game we had Sat. will not work against UGA and Bama. Stidham will not have time to stand back there and throw 45 yd. passes to wide open receivers. We are going to have to develop a short to medium range passing game that includes throwing to the TE and RB, and also Pettway is going to have to get back to the same beast he was running the ball last year; he is nowhere near that at this point. If these two things don't develop before UGA, then I think we have repeats of the Clemson game with them and Bama.

This.

Running the ball right up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs WILL NOT work against teams with a great defense, i.e. bama and thUGA.  The wildcat will not work either.  I think we have found out that all the MSU hype was just hype.  The LSU win means nothing because LSU is pathetic and they got stomped by UGA, so we have not had a good game against a good team.  I hate it when the wildcat works because it just gives Gus more of a reason to continue doing it.  

7 minutes ago, 1856 said:

This.

Running the ball right up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs WILL NOT work against teams with a great defense, i.e. bama and thUGA.  The wildcat will not work either.  I think we have found out that all the MSU hype was just hype.  The LSU win means nothing because LSU is pathetic and they got stomped by UGA, so we have not had a good game against a good team.  I hate it when the wildcat works because it just gives Gus more of a reason to continue doing it.  

Yep! And we are still running a shotgun snap inside the 5 yd. line and giving the opposing lb's an extra 2 seconds to fill the running lanes. When will Gus learn? Don' t seem like he ever will. And for the love; when we have 3rd or 4th down and less than a yard, we have a 6'3" 215 pd. qb; how about a qb sneak Gus?

7 minutes ago, 1856 said:

This.

The only thing I can conclude thus far is that in the last two games, the team has appeared to improve.  How much of that is actual improvement instead of just trouncing overmatched opposition, no one can really know.  That said, there are plenty of opportunities for continued improvement between now and when they play the two most difficult remaining opponents.  I think we will end up with a better idea of where everyone is by the time the Georgia game comes around.

42 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Yep! And we are still running a shotgun snap inside the 5 yd. line and giving the opposing lb's an extra 2 seconds to fill the running lanes. When will Gus learn? Don' t seem like he ever will. And for the love; when we have 3rd or 4th down and less than a yard, we have a 6'3" 215 pd. qb; how about a qb sneak Gus?

Same guy wanted to kick a FG after we ran all the way down the field on the first drive... So yeah, probably not going to learn anytime soon.  

10 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Of course. I've noted many of those on numerous occasions. And Alabama and Florida in 2008. And Alabama and Florida in 2012.

Honestly I think in 2008 it would've been USC or Penn State getting that fourth spot. Agree about 2012.

OU will probably stay undefeated, Clemson Will probably stay undefeated. Whoever wins the big ten will get in. Then whoever wins the SEC. Unless there is a 2 loss big ten champion AND 2 loss PAC 12 champion, I cannot see two SEC teams making it in. In fact, unless it is blatant, the playoff committee will do its diligence to make sure this does not happen.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

OU will probably stay undefeated, Clemson Will probably stay undefeated. Whoever wins the big ten will get in. Then whoever wins the SEC. Unless there is a 2 loss big ten champion AND 2 loss PAC 12 champion, I cannot see two SEC teams making it in. In fact, unless it is blatant, the playoff committee will do its diligence to make sure this does not happen.

From the Selection Committe Protocol (link):

When circumstances at the margins indicate that teams are comparable, then the following criteria must be considered:

•Championships won

•Strength of schedule

•Head-to-head competition (if it occurred)

•Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory)

I remember it being stressed that conference championships matter.  What that told me is that attention was paid to the low ratings and criticism of Alabama vs. LSU in a BCS National Championship game.  In 2014, when the SEC West had four teams in top 10 midseason, there was all this talk about two SEC West teams making the playoff.  I thought it was nearly impossible then, and I think it still is.  Unless the committee ends up with absolutely no other viable alternative, no conference will be sending two teams.

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I have a feeling the rest of the country throws a conniption fit if there are two teams from any conference in a 4 team playoff.  Between the Big 10, Big 12, PAC 12, and ACC, there are likely to be at least three one loss (or better) conference champions from that lineup.  The SEC Championship Game winner is already basically guaranteed a slot.  A team that did not make it to that game (or lost it), has no business in the national championship picture afterwards.

While I do agree to a point, there was at least decent rationale in putting Ohio State in last year despite not making their conference championship game. They had only lost one game, and though it WAS to the eventual conference champion, it was also by only 3 points and at their place, and Penn State had lost two games, itself. OSU had also had a big non-conference victory over Oklahoma, so I could understand that decision. Was it the right one? Who knows? But things are not always as cut and dried as only the conference champions should have a spot in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, 1856 said:

Same guy wanted to kick a FG after we ran all the way down the field on the first drive... So yeah, probably not going to learn anytime soon.  

Agree.... Hopefully though the calling time out and deciding to go for it is a positive step in the right direction... I wont hold my breath though

It is not inconceivable we could play UGA twice, UAT twice, and Clemson twice. Unlikely, but not inconceivable. It would likely cause changes in the CFP.

Archived