Hand's contract expires today

lionheartkc

6 hours ago, milehighfan said:

With his new, (sweet), 49 million dollar deal Gus moved into the big boy league. Now, he better be able to make big boy coaching decisions.

Hmmmm....  Or what, exactly?

The way the AUPTB make decisions and negotiate, Gus' contract probably prohibits any outside meddling in the his decision-making process concerning his coaching staff. :brickwall:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted in the recruiting thread other day that I wasn't a big fan of Hand and got blasted. But if your not worried about next years o-line then you need to take off your blue and orange glasses. That was a o-line starting 4 seniors and they absolutely got their butts whipped the entire game. IMO it would be a great way to start the new year if Gus would hire a new o-line coach.

Crazy thought but if we really have an OC wouldn't he have a say in who he wants to coach the Oline?  My concern is that GM and CL comes from high school.  Neither comes from Div 1 pedigreed college coaching tree.  Who would they even think to bring in? 

51 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Better chance at someone here winning Power ball than Gus getting rid of Hand. 

Sweet, gonna buy a ticket after work then!!!!  Thanks for the tip

A lot of people at Penn St were glad to see him go. He's just not very good, and provides only a slight bump in recruiting. Our OL has been progressively worse over the last couple years.

From his final 2 years at Penn St:

Penn State's offensive line allowed 83 sacks in his last two seasons and finished 12th in rushing (134.2 yards per game) in the Big Ten, which was 106th nationally.

It's about results and he's been a failure.

13 hours ago, shabby said:

so continued mediocrity it is. who makes these contract decisions? is it just Gus picking his man or is there hope for someone to inject some sanity

Without the new AD watching Gus can do whatever the heck he wants.

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

Crazy thought but if we really have an OC wouldn't he have a say in who he wants to coach the Oline?  My concern is that GM and CL comes from high school.  Neither comes from Div 1 pedigreed college coaching tree.  Who would they even think to bring in? 

Not to mention what coach with a good reputation would want to work under Gus.  It's hard to look good as any offensive coach when the other team knows every play and tendency.  In my opinion what we do on offense is as detrimental to the OL as any OL coach.  It's just an opinion but I hate our blocking scheme but with this offense that ain't changing no matter who we bring in.  Who is the last interior OL to play for Auburn who has made it in the NFL as a starter for more than 2 years?  None I can think of that has played in this system since 2010.  That is why it is hard to get guys like Hill to come here.  We have had some tackles make it like Greg Robinson, Shon Coleman, and King Dunlap but no interior guys unless I am missing someone.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

We have had some tackles make it like Greg Robinson, Shon Coleman, and King Dunlap but no interior guys unless I am missing someone.

Chad Slade

9 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Chad Slade

TRANSACTIONS: Signed by the Houston Texans as a college free agent on May 8, 2015...Waived by the Texans on Sept. 3, 2016...Signed to the Texans practice squad on Sept. 4, 2016.

I am talking about true starters.  Hey kid come to Auburn to play guard for us.  Look who we have sent to the pros.

4 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

TRANSACTIONS: Signed by the Houston Texans as a college free agent on May 8, 2015...Waived by the Texans on Sept. 3, 2016...Signed to the Texans practice squad on Sept. 4, 2016.

I am talking about true starters.  Hey kid come to Auburn to play guard for us.  Look who we have sent to the pros.

He's played in 5 games this year and started 3. He's no star, but he's in the NFL and playing.

https://scout.com/nfl/texans/Article/Chad-Slade-Signed-to-the-Houston-Texans-Active-Roster--111322379

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadslade/2553601/profile

21 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Who is the last interior OL to play for Auburn who has made it in the NFL as a starter for more than 2 years? 

A sustained starter is what I was referencing.  

I'm definitely at the point where I would not be sad to see him move on. Aside from potential Mercedes Benz Stadium hexing there's no reason our O-line should have regressed in the last two games.

If things play true to form, Coach Hand will get a 7-year contract and a BIG FAT RAISE.  I mean, in for a penny, in for a pound, right...?

Dilly!  Dilly!

37 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I don’t think AUs recruiting angle focuses too much on showing recruits our pipeline to the NFL.  

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I don’t think AUs recruiting angle focuses too much on showing recruits our pipeline to the NFL.  

Agreed. Our offense just doesn't prepare players for that. Which is not a huge killer for us, but our opponents use that against us in recruiting battles. On defense I think that will begin to change, we have been historically bad on D prior to the last few years so I think we will get back to sending studs to the league as we keep getting them and our D continues to play at a very high level.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

I agree but it is a huge detriment in my mind when recruiting against others who can show a guy what they have done to prepare them for the next level.  Longstanding relationships are what we hang our hat on and it has mostly worked but it is pretty easy to sway a recruit or negatively recruit against Auburn when it comes to showing kids that we can get them to the next level.  I would say most kids have aspirations of playing in the league and will listen to coaches who can push it. 

51 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Chad Slade starts for the Texans.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I agree but it is a huge detriment in my mind when recruiting against others who can show a guy what they have done to prepare them for the next level.  Longstanding relationships are what we hang our hat on and it has mostly worked but it is pretty easy to sway a recruit or negatively recruit against Auburn when it comes to showing kids that we can get them to the next level.  I would say most kids have aspirations of playing in the league and will listen to coaches who can push it. 

Long standing relationships, family atmosphere are the characteristics AU pushes.  Those qualities obviously appeal to top 10 rated recruits, because we’ve pulled in top 10 classes for years.  

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Chad Slade starts for the Texans.

I completely understand.  What I asked was who is the last interior OL that has been a consistent 2 year starter.  I'm not saying there isn't one; I just can't think of one.  We have lots of guys who make practice squads and fill in I'm sure.  Slade may be the closest thing we have as a starter at Guard in the NFL.  To me that's not really something to hang your hat on.

I would have defended Hand a few weeks ago. I'm also a Vandy alum, and there's no way Franklin gets Vandy where they were without some OL improvement. But the inconsistency -- hell, we couldn't block Georgia Southern or Mercer -- leads me to wish for change. 

There are reasons less talented lines outplay more talented opponents. They don't reflect well on Auburn.

Please, sweet baby Jesus, let Hand go and find someone who doesn't make our offensive line look like Swiss freaking cheese!

I was looking at stats and since this guy has come to Auburn, we've allowed more than double the sacks on the season as before. I know we've passed quite a bit more this year, but with a talented, senior-heavy line...it's pretty ugly. 

Archived