Al Borges... Gone again

LKEEL75

link

Report: Al Borges leaving Auburn for OC position

The offensive analyst is headed to another school.

Title/Alt Text Auburn was 41-9 during Al Borges' time as offensive coordinator. (Photo: Auburn University)

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn offensive analyst Al Borges has landed an on-the-field coaching job once again.

The veteran coach is headed to UTSA to be the next offensive coordinator for the small school, according to SI.com's Bruce Feldman. Gorges spent a season as an analyst at Auburn after previous stints at San Jose State and Michigan.

Borges helped with Auburn's tight ends and H-Backs under position coach Larry Porter.

Borges was hired at Auburn in April. His San Jose State offense went against Auburn in 2015 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Borges was Auburn’s offensive coordinator from 2004 through 2007, when he resigned as the offense struggled to score points for the Tigers at the tailend of the Tommy Tuberville era. Auburn was 41-9 during his tenure as coordinator, including four victories in the Iron Bowl. He coached Jason Campbell during his stellar career at quarterback. His 2004 offense scored 34 points or more in six SEC games.

Borges interviewed for the offensive coordinator position at Notre Dame in December 2016.

Borges is the second offensive analyst from Auburn's staff to leave for an on-the-field position in the offseason. Brian Blackmon was recently hired as the tight ends coach at Troy.

So do we bring in Hugh Freeze to fill that rile before UAT does?  He’s not getting a coaching job anytime soon but he could really help with scheming.

10 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

So do we bring in Hugh Freeze to fill that rile before UAT does?  He’s not getting a coaching job anytime soon but he could really help with scheming.

Just make sure his headset is a burner. 

No, I will never stop making jokes about Hugh Freeze calling prostitutes on his employer's cell phone. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Hmmmmmmm, some said Al had no interest in coaching job at Auburn, just wanted to retire and live hear.  That changed fast.

Well, I'm sure that they said "probably". ;)

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Just make sure his headset is a burner. 

No, I will never stop making jokes about Hugh Freeze calling prostitutes on his employer's cell phone. 

Somebody needs too. You really can’t make this stuff up!

19 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Hmmmmmmm, some said Al had no interest in coaching job at Auburn, just wanted to retire and live hear.  That changed fast.

Money talks, BS walks.

14 hours ago, Apraser99 said:

I'm sure Gus has a high school OC in his back pocket to bring in to replace Borges...

That's where most good college coaches come from early in their careers. Auburn people are all wanting AU to hire Dell McGhee away from UGA. Just a couple of years ago Dell was a high school coach.

Al is one of my favorite all time position coaches we have ever had. I wish him the best and hope his team kicks some booty in 2018.  Marcus McNeil, former all pro offensive lineman that played for us during Al's days as our OC used to jokingly refer to Al as a blue berry muffin/papa smurf! The way McNeil described him was hilarious. Do any of you remember this?

Archived