#ReleaseTheMemo

WDG

5 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

So your contention is Trump was elected solely due to Russian interference and nothing to do with segments of America being forgotten? Yeah, we disagree vehemently. 

That's just flat out dishonest.

Have you no shame at all?     

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AUDub said:

David French's piece. 

http://amp.nationalreview.com/article/456063/nunes-memo-big-flaw-confirms-new-york-times-story?__twitter_impression=true

Think he nailed it. Not quite sure what the Rs were thinking here. The myth of the memo was a far more effective cudgel than the memo itself. 

It was so obvious they were over-playing this.  It's exactly why I was hoping they would do it.  Trump is reliable if nothing else.  

While we’re on the subject of the Mueller investigation, it’s amateur hour. 

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

wut

That was discussed on PBS.  This fool authored a memo about on this without even reading the source material!

Sometimes I think I am living in a movie and can't wake up.   :no:

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Underlying evidence, while intriguing, may be irrelevant if this point is proven:

The memo pointed out that in December 2017, then FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe testified that “no surveillance warrant would have been sought” from the FISA court “without the Steele dossier information.”

So why didn't the Republicans on the senate intelligence committee ask the FBI to come and testify to the committee?  

They didn't.  Even though that's the normal procedure in any congressional oversight process. 

36 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Something we haven't discussed.

Where is the "grave danger" so many were speaking about? What sources and/or methods have been revealed?

Sitting here tonight it appears a misrepresentation for political reasons. A diversion to avoid embarrassment. 

What say you?

That was mostly the IC leading that charge, and I believe the objection was more on the basis of procedure than content, which is a reasonable concern. It has done irreparable harm to congressional oversight of intelligence. Total breach of trust. 

Will the release of this memo, even on the margins, make intel sources less sure the info they provide will not be politicized? Probably. 

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So why didn't the Republicans on the senate intelligence committee ask the FBI to come and testify to the committee?  

They didn't.  Even though thats the normal procedure in any congressional oversight process. 

Go to bed homes. Sleep well.

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

That was mostly the IC leading that charge, and I believe the objection was more on the basis of procedure than content, which is a reasonable concern. It has done irreparable harm to congressional oversight of intelligence. Total breach of trust. 

Will the release of this memo, even on the margins, make intel sources less sure the info they provide will not be politicized? Probably. 

Valid

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) on Friday admitted that did not personally review the applications for surveillance warrants that provide the basis of the classified memo released earlier in the day.

Nunes said he relied on the review of committee member Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.). 

“No, I didn’t,” Nunes told Fox News’ Brett Baier, when asked if he saw the applications.

The memo, released earlier in the day by the House Intelligence Committee, alleges that politically motivated material was used to petition the government for a warrant to surveil an American citizen.

Nunes, the chairman of the committee, brushed off news reports that accused him of not seeing the underlying documents as “bogus.”

He explained that the committee set up an agreement with the Justice Department that would allow just one person to review the documents.

Nunes said he thought Gowdy would be the best choice because of his background as a federal prosecutor, and that Gowdy then shared his notes and observations with the rest of the members.

Then Gowdy should have authored the memo.  I wonder why he didn't?

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

Why would he call reports of him not seeing the documents "bogus" after admitting that he did not see them?  Nunes really lacks the ability to communicate properly. He could call it immaterial as he used Gowdy as a witness to the documents, but "bogus"?

He is Trumpian.  ;D

Then Gowdy should have authored the memo.  I wonder why he didn't?

Dude! Honest question: what are you drinking tonight? I want two bottles. One for me and one for Dub. At a minimum, it would make our conversations more entertaining.

59 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Seriously doubt he wanted it released. As much as I dislike him, Gowdy is an experienced attorney who was probably paying lip service to the myth. His reaction since its release is pretty telling. 

I fell like Nunes is basically the Hill’s version of Leeroy Jenkins. 

I had to look that up. :dunno:

I had to look that up. :dunno:

Silly millennials with their inside jokes. ;D

8 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Dude! Honest question: what are you drinking tonight? I want two bottles. One for me and one for Dub. At a minimum, it would make our conversations more entertaining.

Weasel

16 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Golleeee!  I am so clueless.  :gofig:

But I am reminded of a Larsen cartoon:

Gary Larson wrote "Dammit Moon Moon" before it was cool.

Now I do love the Far Side.

Anyway we can merge this thread with the one in the non-smack board? Many sources are quoted here that would benefit the other discussion.

21 hours ago, AUDub said:

OK, lunch break. Read the memo. It's hugely unimpressive. Shockingly short too. 

It asserts that Page was only under investigation because of the Dossier. Page had been under FISA investigation since 2014 (2013?).

It asserts that the Dossier was a partisan creation of Hillary and pro-Hillary elements. It was originally conceived and funded by Republicans.

It seems to assert that Papa was under investigation BEFORE and INDEPENDENT OF Page and the Dossier. I have no idea how that was supposed to help the Trump cause.

Without being able to see the classified info behind it to confirm that the Dossier was the only thing used to approve a new Page FISA investigation (which still isn't illegal or necessarily improper, especially if the Dossier is accurate), there is nothing here. It is three pages of complaining about Steele not liking Trump enough to provide the FISA court with very troubling information about Trump and the people in his immediate orbit.

Sorry if this has already been covered here. I am at the farm and not paying much attention to the news and don't have the greatest connection...

The dossier was originally conceived and funded as "opposition research" by Republicans against Trump. OR is nothing new. But if I understand everything, the republicans realized it lacked any credibility and Fusion GPS peddled it to the democrats, right? I know this doesn't change anything in the memo, just trying to get my facts straight.

We don't know if the dossier was used to extend FISA warrants on Page but, if it was and those submitting it were aware of how fictitious the dossier was that is a big problem for the FBI.

Hahahahaha this is the whole memo? The big deep state scandal to take down Trump was about surveillance of Carter Page who had been an FBI target for years before the dossier? https://twitter.com/curtishouck/status/959476051243085824 

As far as Republican operative Tim Miller, who was formerly on Jeb Bush’s presidential campaign and advised the anti-Trump Super PAC Our Principles, is concerned, the highly anticipated Republican “memo” on the FBI’s Russia investigation into Donald Trump’s campaign was much ado about nothing.

The release of California Republican Rep. Devin Nunes’s controversial memo, which conservatives spent weeks claiming would reveal earth-shattering evidence of partisan bias that would permanently damage the ongoing investigation, turned out to be somewhat underwhelming to many.

For weeks, conservatives defending Trump have tried to make the case that the Nunes memo shows the deep-rooted political bias in the FBI against the Trump administration. One of this campaign’s leading voices, Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), tweeted that the FBI spied on American citizen Carter Page based on faulty and politically motivated evidence.

But with the release of the memo, Miller pointed out a series of hypocrisies in the conservative campaign to put an end to special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Trump’s campaign, tweeting about known actions by the Trump campaign:

1. Russia hacked Trumps opponents private email to influence election

2. Trump gleefully used that hacked info

3. Trump team had meetings with Russians explicitly about dirt on Hillary

4. They lied about those meetings repeatedly.

5. The FBI’s only public action during campaign actually targeted Hillary, not these actions by Trumpworld.

“If you concede all those points and then want to argue that this memo is the ‘real scandal’ — then ok let’s hear it,” Miller said, pointing out that the memo fever, compared to the actual information in the memo, doesn’t begin to compare to the series of Russia-tied scandals the Trump administration and campaign has found itself in this year.

Not to mention that Trump has repeatedly tried to politicize investigative and independent agencies, notably asking then-FBI Director James Comey and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein for their “loyalty.”

In that case, as Miller points out, Republican leaders in Congress just said Trump didn’t know any better.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/2/2/16965082/republican-operative-hypocrisy-nunes-memo

Archived