Let's Grade the 2018 Recruiting Class

Zeek

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/8/2018 at 12:12 PM, SumterAubie said:

I don't follow the concern over a TE or lack thereof. C J Uzomah was as capable as any TE Auburn has had, or at least I though he was, and Malzahn underutilized him. So having a TE on the team doesn't equate to his being a vital cog in the offense

I don't see all the hoopla over not signing one. Up until we got Stidham we had WR's we didn't try to utilize. 

22 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

B-.  We need to do much better next year.

wde

The “much better” implies we didn’t do very well this cycle... which is false.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

The “much better” implies we didn’t do very well this cycle... which is false.

Compared to UGA and spuat, we need to do much better.  We did OK this cycle.  Ok gets you a losing record over the years against your rivals when they are out recruiting you especially when they have better coaching.  

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

Compared to UGA and spuat, we need to do much better.  We did OK this cycle.  Ok gets you a losing record over the years against your rivals when they are out recruiting you especially when they have better coaching.  

wde

Well... yeah but historically they’ve both recruited better than us and we’ve been fine. We beat Bama last year and their 2017 class was arguably just as good as UGA’s this year. Our bad coaches are also the only staff that has beaten Saban twice. I’d go as far to say we’ll beat UGA next year, #1 recruiting classes don’t always translate into wins. 

18 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well... yeah but historically they’ve both recruited better than us and we’ve been fine. We beat Bama last year and their 2017 class was arguably just as good as UGA’s this year. Our bad coaches are also the only staff that has beaten Saban twice. I’d go as far to say we’ll beat UGA next year, #1 recruiting classes don’t always translate into wins. 

Fair enough, that is your opinion although that I would argue that we haven't been fine against either one for many years (since 2008 for spuat and since 2006 against uga) other than the rare win here or there.  Recruiting better than your rivals really matters.  I will give Gus credit for coaching the team up against spuat.  

wde

6 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Well... yeah but historically they’ve both recruited better than us and we’ve been fine

No we haven’t lol. We have beat them three times since 2006 and one was thanks to a miracle after Gus coughed up a sizable lead.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

No we haven’t lol. We have beat them three times since 2006 and one was thanks to a miracle after Gus coughed up a sizable lead.

UGA has owned us since 2006.  We have been outscored 394 to 245 over that span.  Yeah 3-13 is playing just fine against your rivals.

0 November 11, 2006 Auburn, AL Georgia 37–15
111 November 10, 2007 Athens, GA #10 Georgia 45–20
112 November 15, 2008 Auburn, AL #13 Georgia 17–13
113 November 14, 2009 Athens, GA Georgia 31–24
114 November 13, 2010 Auburn, AL #2 Auburn 49–31
115 November 12, 2011 Athens, GA #14 Georgia 45–7
116 November 10, 2012 Auburn, AL #5 Georgia 38–0
117 November 16, 2013 Auburn, AL #7 Auburn 43–38
118 November 15, 2014 Athens, GA #16 Georgia 34–7
119 November 14, 2015 Auburn, AL Georgia 20–13
120 November 12, 2016 Athens, GA Georgia 13–7
121 November 11, 2017 Auburn, AL #10 Auburn 40–17
122 December 2, 2017 Atlanta, GAA #6 Georgia 28–7

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

(Since 06) 

SEC Championships:

Auburn: 3 (2-1)

Georgia 2 (1-1)

National Championships

Auburn 2 (1-1)

Georgia 1 (0-1)

All while UGA has recruited better than us. “Fine” means more than just beating UGA. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

(Since 06) 

SEC Championships:

Georgia 2 (1-1)

National Championships

Auburn 2 (1-1)

Georgia 1 (0-1)

All while UGA has recruite better than us. “Fine” means more than just beating UGA. 

Both of our championship appearances have proven to be nothing more than flash in the pan seasons with no long term sustainability. We are doing “fine” when we are beating our rivals and achieving our team goals. As for your homework for tonight, look up Gus’s record on the road against UGA, Bama, and LSU and tell me how we have done “fine.”

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Both of our championship appearances have proven to be nothing more than flash in the pan seasons with no long term sustainability. We are doing “fine” when we are beating our rivals and achieving our team goals. As for your homework for tonight, look up Gus’s record on the road against UGA, Bama, and LSU and tell me how we have done “fine.”

Since they’re “flash in the pan seasons” they don’t matter right? 

Since they’re “flash in the pan seasons” they don’t matter right? 

Said no one ever. 

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

So then why discredit them?

I’m not even discrediting them? I’m saying those two championship appearances arent enough evidence to say that we have been fine against our rivals. Those were great years but that’s still only two years. Don’t forget that you were the one who said that we have played  “fine” against Georgia’s superior recruiting classes despite losing 10 of the last 13 games against them. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Don’t forget that you were the one who said that we have played  “fine” against Georgia’s superior recruiting classes despite losing 10 of the last 13 games against them. 

No... I said “we’ve been fine” and I already explained that even when UGA recruits better than us, we (Auburn) have been fine. Which is where this:

37 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

(Since 06) 

SEC Championships:

Georgia 2 (1-1)

National Championships

Auburn 2 (1-1)

Georgia 1 (0-1)

All while UGA has recruited better than us. “Fine” means more than just beating UGA. 

came from. Reading comprehension is key here Jeff. Though I will say that I should’ve made this clearer with my exchange with AU1H

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Also shocking that you brought up Gus... when we weren’t even talking about Gus lol. 

Well he is our coach. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well he is our coach. 

Oh yeah the coach that helped us to all 3 SEC Championships and the two National Championship appearances right?  

No... I said “we’ve been fine” and I already explained that even when UGA recruits better than us, we (Auburn) have been fine. Which is where this:

came from. Reading comprehension is key here Jeff. 

Reading comprehension? “We’ve been fine” is a vague, chicken little argument. 

Have it your way,  when Georgia wins 10 out of 13 games, we are “fine.” 

Oh yeah the coach that helped us to all 3 SEC Championships and the two National Championship appearances right?  

You’ve yet to look at his road record against our rivals I see. 

I truly appreciate Gus letting Cam and Marshall run the heck out of that ball though. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’ve yet to look at his road record against our rivals I see. 

I truly appreciate Gus letting Cam and Marshall run the heck out of that ball though. 

I don’t have to look at the road record. I went to LSU in 2017. I went to UGA in 2014 and 2016. I went to Bama in 2014. I know about the records. I get it man, but when I think about those losses, I don’t forget about being in Auburn for 2010. Or going to the DSOR and IB in 2013. Or getting to watch Bama get stomped in Auburn.

Our class is great. With the exception of whiffing on OT’s, we hit all of our needs.

Yes we got the #3 class in the SEC, but when you look at it from a composite standpoint- #1 (#1) Georgia, #2 (#7) Alabama and #3 (#12) Auburn there is a big gap from 2 to 3, we are actually closer to #4 (#14) Florida, #5 (#15) LSU and #6 (#17) aTm.

Heck Willie Taggert took over FSU On 5 Dec they had 7 recruits committed after the Jimbo debacle and he got them to #3 ACC / #11 overall. Just slightly ahead of us.

Florida had 7 recruits when Mullen took over on 26 November and still to put a staff together. 

aTm had 12 recruits when Jimbo got there 2 December and like Mullen had to put a staff together.

I will concede new coaches, can bring some excitement.

2019 we will have some shoes to fill. We will need to restock the cupboard on the OL and DL for sure. 

2019 we are going to step up our game and win some of these head to head battles with our rivals.

This class is a solid B. We improved our depth and talent at several positions. But the huge miss at OT and the lack of elite talent (first Malzahn class with no 5*) keeps this class from being an A.

The next few years are going to be very difficult. We are surrounded by Elite recruiting Head coaches (Saban, Smart, Pruitt, Dabo, & Orgeron). In addition, there are also very solid recruiters in the extended areas (Richt, Jimbo, & Muschamp). We still have to put up with Michigan, Ohio St, & Stanford coming into the Southeast for players too. So we’re going to have to get very creative with our recruiting.

Adding Woodson has opened the door to Mississippi (a state that we’ve never faired well in recruiting), and we have to capitalize. Malzahn also needed to start recruiting Arkansas better now that they have a new & unproven SEC Head coach. 

We also need to hope that Saban retires soon & Kirby goes to the pros. I do not expect Auburn’s results in recruiting or on the field to improve until those two things happen first.

54 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This class is a solid B. We improved our depth and talent at several positions. But the huge miss at OT and the lack of elite talent (first Malzahn class with no 5*) keeps this class from being an A.

The next few years are going to be very difficult. We are surrounded by Elite recruiting Head coaches (Saban, Smart, Pruitt, Dabo, & Orgeron). In addition, there are also very solid recruiters in the extended areas (Richt, Jimbo, & Muschamp). We still have to put up with Michigan, Ohio St, & Stanford coming into the Southeast for players too. So we’re going to have to get very creative with our recruiting.

Adding Woodson has opened the door to Mississippi (a state that we’ve never faired well in recruiting), and we have to capitalize. Malzahn also needed to start recruiting Arkansas better now that they have a new & unproven SEC Head coach. 

We also need to hope that Saban retires soon & Kirby goes to the pros. I do not expect Auburn’s results in recruiting or on the field to improve until those two things happen first.

Guess I'm not near so pessimistic about the situation.....Lots of players out there and lots of schools recruiting the region besides just SEC.   It would be helpful to AU's recruiting if HS football in Alabama picked up and whether we do well in Mississippi seems moot to me considering they had maybe 2 top 300 athletes in the state this year.    Not sure that the Mississippi schools will be any better in the future now that they can't cheat.   Georgia looks like the happy hunting ground for a few years to come....almost as much talent as Texas.....and we have done pretty well there for quite a while....dawgs can't take them all so we just need to keep working. . 

Archived