Professor Blasts CNN

Proud Tiger

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Hey, apparently facts are immaterial to the argument at hand (his words, not mine).  Thus, I'm losing.

They should have a picture of PT next to the explanation of "cognitive dissonance" in Wikipedia.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Spin it anyway you want. You just want to argue about nothing really important. So run along, be happy........YOU Win!! Hope that makes you feel better and is saves me very non productive time trying to discuss anything with you.

Ah yes, the infamous PT tactic of "you're just a big meanie so I'll take my toys and go home" whenever he's backed into a corner.  Could set a damn sundial by its predictability.  Heaven forbid you simply admit you made too broad a statement and didn't realize CNN's ratings overall are actually quite good and getting better.  Couldn't have THAT.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Ah yes, the infamous PT tactic of "you're just a big meanie so I'll take my toys and go home" whenever he's backed into a corner.  Could set a damn sundial by its predictability.

It's funny.  All it would take is "I could have been more clear in my opening post that I was only referring to cable news networks.  However, the data does show that CNN is making gains too, while still being #3 in against their top two competitors."

Do this, and the thread's done while maintaining credibility.  But instead, we have to go on and on because he refuses to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, he was wrong about something or worded it poorly to start with.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

It's funny.  All it would take is "I could have been more clear in my opening post that I was only referring to cable news networks.  However, the data does show that CNN is making gains too, while still being #3 in against their top two competitors."

Do this, and the thread's done while maintaining credibility.  But instead, we have to go on and on because he refuses to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, he was wrong about something or worded it poorly to start with.

Mules, as a breed, are more flexible.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

So let me put this in a way that you may understand:

Auburn football is rated #5 in the country.  Well they suck, because that means they are still lower than four other teams!

See how utterly dumb that sounds?

Look, no one is disputing that CNN is third among cable news networks.  But your original statement was that they their ratings were low.  Actual evidence shows that they are actually growing rapidly, and when shown that, you're throwing a hissy-fit.

#5 only sucks when bammer is one of the other four in front.

11 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

From a business perspective, the author gets this wrong.  As stated, overall CNN ratings were up last year and per the article, the network brought in $1.1B in profits.  Why would you do anything to abandon that success?

So how does this affect CNN's ratings as far as the number of viewers they get based on having TV's in the airport (so called Out-of-Home)?  No one actually watches it.  I guess when you have a captive audience that is not paying attention, it still counts for something, right?

Nielsen has announced the addition of two new subscribers to its Out-of-Home audience measurement service: CNN and Turner Sports.

Under terms of the agreement, both CNN and Turner Sports will get weekly reports that include daily data for program and commercial audience estimates for TV viewing in offices, airports, gyms, bars, hotels and basically anywhere one can watch television outside of the home.

1 hour ago, auburn41 said:

So how does this affect CNN's ratings as far as the number of viewers they get based on having TV's in the airport (so called Out-of-Home)?  No one actually watches it.  I guess when you have a captive audience that is not paying attention, it still counts for something, right?

Nielsen has announced the addition of two new subscribers to its Out-of-Home audience measurement service: CNN and Turner Sports.

Under terms of the agreement, both CNN and Turner Sports will get weekly reports that include daily data for program and commercial audience estimates for TV viewing in offices, airports, gyms, bars, hotels and basically anywhere one can watch television outside of the home.

Here's a good read on the difficulty in measuring ratings now, especially with streaming services now:

variety.com/2017/tv/features/nielsen-total-content-ratings-1202027752/

As for the "out of home" audience question, it's meant to capture the total audience, but would have no affect on ratings.  Basically allows a company like CBS to say to advertisers:

"Hey, the Final Four ratings are 4.7 but the total audience is actually xx people because the official ratings don't take into account the actual amount of people watching.  The total audience was confirmed by Nielson, so you know we aren't making this up, thus it's gonna cost that much more to advertise during this event."

Ratings are all about ad dollars.  Nothing else.

Archived