Professor Blasts CNN

Proud Tiger

This professor blasts CNN. I for sure agree. CNN used to be the only cable news I watched. Now it's hard to even watch. No wonder their ratings are so low.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/30/respected-professor-blasts-once-proud-cnn-in-scathing-op-ed-cnn-lost-its-way.html

Even Steve Colbert joins in.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/03/30/stephen-colbert-apologizes-to-trump-calls-out-cnn-for-lies.html

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Your sarcasm meter needs tuning.

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

That’s a clear case of headline skimming. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 11:05 AM, Proud Tiger said:

No wonder their ratings are so low.

Don't speak about subjects in which you have zero knowledge.  CNN is coming off it's most watched year in history, with viewership increasing 3% YoY in 2017.  Remember, that's comping an election year number, when ratings for new networks tend to trend higher.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/2017-ratings-cnn-is-down-in-prime-time-but-earns-its-largest-audience-ever-in-total-day/353147

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Don't speak about subjects in which you have zero knowledge.  CNN is coming off it's most watched year in history, with viewership increasing 3% YoY in 2017.  Remember, that's comping an election year number, when ratings for new networks tend to trend higher.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/2017-ratings-cnn-is-down-in-prime-time-but-earns-its-largest-audience-ever-in-total-day/353147

Brad, between the AuFamily forum and Master's week, I don't see myself getting much productivity done. 

To the point: aren't the highest rating news sources FOX and MSNBC? Did the President's attack on credibility of CNN have any influence on their ratings? 

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

Brad, between the AuFamily and Master's week, I don't see myself getting much productivity done. 

To the point: aren't the highest rating news sources FOX and MSNBC? Did the President's attack on credibility of CNN have any influence on their ratings? 

I'm with you on the Masters.  Went to the National Title Game last night too, so I'm running on fumes today.

Yes, the highest rated cable news networks are Fox and MSNBC.  That's not new and it's been that way for years.  But the numbers would show that Trump's attacks on CNN have actually increased the network's viewership, as people are tuning into CNN at higher numbers than ever before, especially during the daytime and weekends.   Fox and MSNBC lead in prime-time weekdays, but that makes sense as partisans love their favorite left/right opinion shows which dominate those time slots.

Non-media folks fundamentally don't understand the difference between ratings, share, and viewership.  CNN will likely always trail Fox and MSNBC because they are less partisan than the other two and viewers like to watch shows that give them confirmation bias. CNN still leans left, but I hope we can agree that it's nowhere near as bad as MSNBC.  However, with all of that said, the total number of people watching CNN is growing, which is an important measuring stick that isn't used by CNN detractors because it's counter to their argument that CNN is somehow on the decline.

8 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Oh big deal. I said their ratings are low and it's a FACT. A 3% increase. Wow. But they are still LOW as I said. Maybe a little info will give your low knowledge a bump.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-top-cable-news-programs-of-february-2018-are/358502

And this is where your ignorance shows again.  You've just linked to the top Prime Time shows only to try and prove something about a network as a whole.  My link actually calls out that CNN doesn't do well in Prime Time (I'm guessing you didn't read it).  However, it does take in account everything else when giving the totality of ratings, share, and total viewership.  CNN is actually growing those numbers because they are crushing day-parts and weekends.

To that point, I present this:

For CNN, 2017 was its highest rated on record in total day. Here, CNN ranks No. 5 among basic cable networks, with an average of 783K viewers – CNN’s first time in the Top 10 since 1995. In primetime, CNN ranked No. 10 among cable nets with an average of 1.062M.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/fox-news-highest-ratings-cable-news-2017-1202230070/

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

You need to get some rest after your big night. Your comprehension is off. I made a simple statement........CNN's ratings are low. They ARE.  I DID NOT say they were on the decline. But a small improvement still leaves the LOW compared to others. Not sure why you feel a need to rationalize that fact away.

They're number 5 among ALL cable networks (not just news) and in the top 10 for the first time since 1995.  Yeah, that's really low *eyeroll*

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Non-media folks fundamentally don't understand the difference between ratings, share, and viewership.

A polite way of telling me I lack a fundamental understanding of this. I wouldn't disagree with you on that lol. I can tell you this, Hannity is becoming a joke. I'm finally noticing how inconsistent he's become re Trump. I suppose there are some liberal media personnel who are the same, but I don't watch them enough to know. He's truly a Trump apologist. When Obama would do an equivalent, he'd turn 180 degrees in his rhetoric. I suppose Tucker has his faults too, but at least he's called out Trump before when its deserved. Don't even get me started on Ingram - she made some very questionable statements this weekend. I don't usually watch her but had Fox on during her hour (maybe Thursday, or whenever the last time was when she was on before Easter) and there were some comments that really illuminated her ridiculousness. For example, she said believing in Jesus is all about a desire of avoiding hell - which is fundamentally incompatible with dogmatics of the Christian faith (not meaning to get too theological). That is but just one ridiculous statement I've heard her make. 

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm with you on the Masters.  Went to the National Title Game last night too, so I'm running on fumes today.

Wow! (Also, chime in on the Master's thread).

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

They're number 5 among ALL cable networks (not just news) and in the top 10 for the first time since 1995.  Yeah, that's really low *eyeroll*

My OP clearly infers I am talking about cable news. But number 5 among ALL still means they are lower than four others doesn't it? So they finally made the top 10. Wow!!  They are climbing but STILL LOW.

10 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

A politie way of telling me I lack a fundamental understanding of this. I wouldn't disagree with you on that lol. I can tell you this, Hannity is becoming a joke. I'm finally noticing how inconsistent he's become re Trump. I suppose there are some liberal media personnel who are the same, but I don't watch them enough to know. He's truly a Trump apologist. When Obama would do an equivalent, he'd turn 180 degrees in his rhetoric. I suppose Tucker has his faults too, but at least he's called out Trump before when its deserved. Don't even get me started on Ingram - she made some very questionable statements this weekend. I don't usually watch her but had Fox on during her hour (maybe Thursday, or whenever the last time was when she was on before Easter) and there were some comments that really illuminated her ridiculousness. For example, she said believing in Jesus is all about a desire of avoiding hell - which is fundamentally incompatible with dogmatics of the Christian faith (not meaning to get too theological). That is but just one ridiculous statement I've heard her make. 

Wow! (Also, chime in on the Master's thread).

About the only thing I watch on cable news anymore are Chris Wallace on Sunday's, Brian Williams on weekday nights (he has really good discussions), Chuck Todd weekday afternoons, and Michael Smerconish on the weekends.  I find those four to be the most even-keeled.  Can't take much CNN because all they do is yell at each other, whereas the other shows listed allow for thoughtful questions and conversations.

17 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

You need to get some rest after your big night. Your comprehension is off. I made a simple statement........CNN's ratings are low. They ARE.  I DID NOT say they were on the decline. But a small improvement still leaves them LOW compared to others. Not sure why you feel a need to rationalize that fact away.

That's the whole point you're missing:  they aren't low.  They have low ratings for prime-time shows, but not overall.  Overall, their numbers are up and very strong.

16 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

My OP clearly infers I am talking about cable news. But number 5 among ALL still means they are lower than four others doesn't it? So they finally made the top 10. Wow!!  They are climbing but STILL LOW.

So let me put this in a way that you may understand:

Auburn football is rated #5 in the country.  Well they suck, because that means they are still lower than four other teams!

See how utterly dumb that sounds?

Look, no one is disputing that CNN is third among cable news networks.  But your original statement was that they their ratings were low.  Actual evidence shows that they are actually growing rapidly, and when shown that, you're throwing a hissy-fit.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

About the only thing I watch on cable news anymore are Chris Wallace on Sunday's, Brian Williams on weekday nights (he has really good discussions), Chuck Todd weekday afternoons, and Michael Smerconish on the weekends.  I find those four to be the most even-keeled.  Can't take much CNN because all they do is yell at each other, whereas the other shows listed allow for thoughtful questions and conversations.

CSPAN is actually quite entertaining (sometimes). They play audio of Supreme Court oral arguments on some afternoons. Granted, it's not news, but its often later included in news coverage via other outlets. If you really want to see how badly media takes things out of context, listen to an audio of an oral argument (which obviously includes judge's remarks) and then compare it with media coverage. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Auburn football is rated #5 in the country.  Well they suck, because that means they are still lower than four other teams!

Look, no one is disputing that CNN is third among cable news networks.  But your original statement was that they their ratings were low.  Actual evidence shows the complete opposite, and when shown that, you're throwing a hissy-fit.

Poor analogy. Being # 5 out of 162 or so teams is great. Not so being #5 out of a few. I'm not the one throwing a hissy fit. You started it with your "zero knowledge" bit and now doggedly try to rationalize with all your might that my simple statement in the OP is right.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Look, no one is disputing that CNN is third among cable news networks.  But your original statement was that they their ratings were low.  Actual evidence shows the complete opposite, and when shown that, you're throwing a hissy-fit.

Brad, slow your role. We pay big bucks with the objective of being #1. I won't settle for #5. Bad analogy!!

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Poor analogy. Being # 5 out of 162 or so teams is great. Not so being #5 out of a few.

It's #5 out of 105.  Below link is a weekly tracker that shows every network it's ranked against.

https://www.scribd.com/document/370903898/Basic-Cable-Ranker-Week-of-Jan-29-Total-Viewers#from_embed

Also, there are only 129 FBS football teams.

Let me know when you're tired of getting owned by actual facts.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's #5 out of 105.

https://www.scribd.com/document/370903898/Basic-Cable-Ranker-Week-of-Jan-29-Total-Viewers#from_embed

Also, there are only 129 FBS football teams.

Let me know when you're tired of getting owned by actual facts.

I should have said 129 or so. But those little facts are totally immaterial to the main point you can't refute. You are just at the end of your rope and can't admit it that nothing I said in the OP is wrong. You lose more with every post.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

I should have said 129 or so. But those little facts are totally immaterial to the main point you can't refute. You lose more with every post.

Except he's not losing.  CNN ranked 5th among all cable networks, period.  No matter how you slice it, that is not "low."

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Except he's not losing.  CNN ranked 5th among all cable networks, period.  No matter how you slice it, that is not "low."

Hey, apparently facts are immaterial to the argument at hand (his words, not mine).  Thus, I'm losing.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

It's lower than four others. And you just can't accept I was referring to cable "news in the OP. You are now losing too.

Only if "losing" means, "exhibits excellent reading comprehension of actual words" and "doesn't read PT's mind."

The fact of the matter is, you made a blanket statement that was wrong.  They are the lowest rated cable news channel, but their ratings are not 'low' anymore than an SEC team ranked 5th in the country (but 4th in the SEC) would be considered to be ranked "low."

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Only if "losing" means, "exhibits excellent reading comprehension of actual words" and "doesn't read PT's mind."

The fact of the matter is, you made a blanket statement that was wrong.  They are the lowest rated cable news channel, but their ratings are not 'low' anymore than an SEC team ranked 5th in the country (but 4th in the SEC) would be considered to be ranked "low."

Spin it anyway you want. You just want to argue about nothing really important. So run along, be happy........YOU Win!! Hope that makes you feel better and is saves me very non productive time trying to discuss anything with you.

Archived