A fourth of July story from Popehat

AUDub

Link

One hot summer in the early nineties, I was working for Judge Ronald S.W. Lew, a federal judge in Los Angeles. One day in early July he abruptly walked into my office and said without preamble "Get your coat." Somewhat concerned that I was about to be shown the door, I grabbed my blazer and followed him out of chambers into the hallway. I saw he had already assembled his two law clerks and his other summer extern there. Exchanging puzzled glances, we followed him into the art-deco judge's elevator, then into the cavernous judicial parking garage. He piled us into his spotless Cadillac and drove out of the garage without another word.

Within ten awkward, quiet minutes we arrived at one of the largest VFW posts in Los Angeles. Great throngs of people, dressed in Sunday best, were filing into the building. It was clear that they were families — babes in arms, small children running about, young and middle-aged parents. And in each family group there was a man — an elderly man, dressed in a military uniform, many stooped with age but all with the bearing of men who belonged in that VFW hall. They were all, I would learn later, Filipinos. Their children and grandchildren were Filipino-American; they were not. Yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for publishing this. It literally brought tears to my eyes. These men who had a real reason to be bitter still loved this country with all its warts with all their hearts.  This is an inspiring story.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Thank you for publishing this. It literally brought tears to my eyes. These men who had a real reason to be bitter still loved this country with all its warts with all their hearts.  This is an inspiring story.

It's very moving. He re-posts it every year and it never gets old.

• 2 years later...