So what's to come?

cole256

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

you'd probably get a second chance if you went anywhere other than the Vikings, who have negative luck with kickers

im sure Auburn would give him a good sized check to teach Anders to be better though

This is dumb.  Anders is doing fine.  He's in game freaking 3 of his college career.  The kick he missed yesterday was because of a really crappy snap and had nothing to do with his form. 

It's not like Daniel lit the world on fire his freshman year.  Statistically, it was his worst year at Auburn.  In fact, Anders already has a longer FG made than the longest Daniel made his entire freshman year.  Some of y'all need to get a grip on reality.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think our OL is still holding the offense back.  I hope Kim makes huge strides against Arky. If not, go ahead and make the move of Horton to center and bring in Ashley in the OG spot. I know Horton has struggled, but maybe at the center position, he will excel. I think Ashley could become a solid OG for us. This line will give us a lot of size that would open up more holes for the RBs to shoot.

I think Kim will struggle at the center position and this is one position that must work in order to make our offense work the way it is supposed to. Not sure what will happen and Gus may leave the OL alone. Whitlow is going to become an excellent power runner for us of which is going to open up the passing game to the level where it can make defenses pay.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

This is dumb.  Anders is doing fine.  He's in game freaking 3 of his college career.  The kick he missed yesterday was because of a really crappy snap and had nothing to do with his form. 

It's not like Daniel lit the world on fire his freshman year.  Statistically, it was his worst year at Auburn.  In fact, Anders already has a longer FG made than the longest Daniel made his entire freshman year.  Some of y'all need to get a grip on reality.

me asking him to help his bro be better means Im saying hes bad now? lol 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

me asking him to help his bro be better means Im saying hes bad now? lol 

What have you seen from Anders that indicates he needs to be better right now?   Of his three missed FGs, two were beyond 50 yds (one of which had a bad snap and hold).  50+ is no gimme and he's already drilled one from 53 with room to spare.  Overall, half of his FG attempts have been from over 50 this year.  I doubt another kicker in the country can say the same. 

Remember too that Daniel started 5-for-8 last year with one miss over 50 and another from 26.  So if Anders makes his next two, they are on the same pace year-over-year but Anders has two missed from 50+ vs Daniel's one.

He's also kicking everything for touchbacks on kickoffs and they aren't particularly close.  Obvious during the ASU game that we were working on situational coverage so he pooch kicked, but UW and LSU have had no shots at returns.

So again I ask, what real indications do we have that he needs to be better, particularly keeping in mind that he's a freshman?

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

@DAG

Seriously, we were exposed on both sides of the ball.  OL is bad. C can't pick up a middle blitz and Tega can't stay with a speed rusher. As far as run blocking goes, we don't seem to have the strength to move anyone. Constantly stonewalled at the point of attack. Running backs are fine, but we are not utilizing their strengths. Our outside running is basically non existent. DL is very good at stopping the run, but can't get consistent pressure on passing downs without blitzes.  Big Kat is our best pass rusher and it's not close. Secondary  played very well with some one-sided BS calls.  Noah is getting picked on and having growing pains, but is stepping up his game up. To me, the biggest issue is from a coaching philosophy.  We are not good enough to run to set up the PA pass like previous versions of this O. Period.  We need to utilize our passing better.  Only then will this line be able to open up enough holes to have a run game.  Offensively, we seem to move away from plays that work and try to force things that aren't. JMO.

I agree with most of what you said. However, i think the coaching is the best it's been for years. This game came down to execution IMO. The online looked better at times but I believe kim has reached his ceiling and unfortunately it's not high enough. JS biggest criticism had always been his ability to stand tall in the face of pressure and I saw this multiple times in the game. He is solid enough to get us there but not without the running game getting better. On that note I think we are starting to see a shift with boobie, he looked much better especially with the blocking he had, or didn't. Only thing with him there are times when it looks like he is about to break it and ashoestring tackle brings him down. He needs to work on balance but he has great potential she throw in worm, Kmart and I think asa or joiner will emerge as the year goes in and we will have a good RB combo but it all depends on what e do with the Oline. I'm not bashing Gus and here's why....one yeark we say we need we need a RB by committee, r next thing people are upset that we didn't just pound one guy, one minute he is criticize for playing too conservative in the 2nd half against lsu last year, this year her came out and tried to keep foot in the gas.. But our players just didn't execute. Yes we got some bad calls ... Some were warrant though...looking at their long td catch....if deshaun Davis was two inches taller that's an interception. Football is s gave of inches lol. I think we still have all our goals ahead so everybody needs to calm down. Last year we had 2 losses and we were right there in November...have faith Auburn family. One more thing, a question, I've been thinking about Iggy, he is going to be a great corner but he had a lot to learn. Didn't dinson play nickle last year, what if we moved a more experienced guy like dinson to corner..and had smoke or Sherwood start at safety until Iggy gets his footing? Those frosh safeties look great. Just a thought...I know the coaches obviously have a reason for it so and that's why they get paid millions sand I bust my rear to make ends meet and pay my cable bill so I can watch and every now and then go to a game. Just one fans thoughts WDE

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

I thought they came out tight......too much energy and pressure.....that little drop by Kam probably finished his day IMO...and that int right away?    But,  the idea of "trust" as if it is an unfair expectations... I have a hard time understanding.    Players have to earn it.....not get it for free from the coach.    Some folks have latched onto this "trust" complaint about Gus and I sure don't know where that comes from but he's probably playing the guys he trusts not to make mistakes when it matters ...and I don't blame him.  

Otherwise, I think you misread the whole structure of the team and it's skill level.  Got a bunch of freshmen playing...and why is that?....probably because they are the better players at their positions …..and the comment about not changing RBs every few downs seems to run contrary to the prevailing thinking on this board which criticizes Gus for overworking his backs.  

Kam got the starting job because he was the most experienced returning player and it amazed me after watching the Wash game that many people thought he was still going to be the "guy".   JMO but after watching the game yesterday, he will be #3 next week.   No problem there in my mind....we need 3 of them and he can contribute in that role too. 

I agree with most of your points.

RB - I did not get the see the first game, so I didn't see Shivers. but after Saturday, I can understand the coaches giving him more carries. He is just a quick as KM,  and better power. Whitlow is the back they need to run most, even though you can tell he is still learning how to play RB. But in the end...I think we will have a very good 1, 2 punch with KMartin being a good 3rd RB. Coaches made the right call on who has the best chance to contribute.

18 hours ago, bigbird said:

DBs really need to step up...

It's tough, because they made some really great plays on Saturday, and made some other really great plays that were taken away from them, but they also gave up some big plays on critical downs. The talent is apparent - just need more consistency? 

18 hours ago, corchjay said:

No I think the DBs did cost us the game.  Not out of spite but out of what I saw.  

Out of player responsibility of the loss I would say DBs, QB, OL in that order

I think it was a combination of DBs and DL that hurt us.

On the DL, if you noticed and the announcers pointed this out too, that the LSU QB had comfort in the pocket. We did not get enough pressure up the middle, and for that matter from the ends, to make the QB uncomfortable and get rid of it early, or break the pocket down causing him to scramble. One sack. Not enough. 

On the DBs, I agree on the PI call against Dean, Dean was not being smart. He had leverage and was with his man on that play, but once he had control, he needed to quit hold the WR. He did way longer than he needed. It is frustrating to see some of our DBs not turn their heads at any time in their coverage. 

I do thing the order should be in responsibility....DB, OL, QB

I think Stidham disappointed me with his lack of making plays in the late third and fourth quarters. This is where a QB shows that extra ability to continue plays, make plays down the stretch, critical drives. I know i don't watch film and some of it could be the play calling that causes these problems. But so far, Stidham hasn't learned to carry a team when they need him to lead them to a win.

39 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Ensminger had a great plan for us. 

Shoot....LSU had one play where they only sent out one WR in the route to the left sideline....and everyone else stayed back to block and the pass was completed against 5 AU defensive backs.....That's really BAD....

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Kam got the starting job because he was the most experienced returning player and it amazed me after watching the Wash game that many people thought he was still going to be the "guy".   JMO but after watching the game yesterday, he will be #3 next week.   No problem there in my mind....we need 3 of them and he can contribute in that role too. 

I don't think it was as much people thinking he was going to be "the guy" after Washington as much as it was "he's still the most experienced back, and Whitlow has some catching up to do." I expected Martin to continue to be at the top of the depth chart going into LSU - because he was still our most experienced "well rounded" back. With Whitlow, I think it was just a question of when do the coaches feel like he's ready to step into a more significant role. The dude is still super raw - he still has a tendency to "stand up" and he doesn't always finish like you see more experienced backs finish, but he's shown patience and an ability to "move the pile" as Lindsey put it. In my opinion, having that ability is something Gus looks for, and that's probably the single most significant factor in Whitlow moving ahead. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I don't think it was as much people thinking he was going to be "the guy" after Washington as much as it was "he's still the most experienced back, and Whitlow has some catching up to do." I expected Martin to continue to be at the top of the depth chart going into LSU - because he was still our most experienced "well rounded" back. With Whitlow, I think it was just a question of when do the coaches feel like he's ready to step into a more significant role. The dude is still super raw - he still has a tendency to "stand up" and he doesn't always finish like you see more experienced backs finish, but he's shown patience and an ability to "move the pile" as Lindsey put it. In my opinion, having that ability is something Gus looks for, and that's probably the single most significant factor in Whitlow moving ahead. 

Yep he is a bit raw.....but even with his flaws, he's still the guy to get you some yards when you need them..  Hoping he will fine tune some of his running style as the season goes along.      Having 3 pretty good RBs is nice....makes me feel like an injury to a RB does not wreck the season as we saw last year when KJ was ailing.....though IMO, losing Boobee would have a much bigger negative impact on the offense than losing either of the other two guys....

I wish we’d just chuck it all and run the Fun n Gun the rest of year. At least 50+ pass attempts and run game consist of draws and shuttle passes. We got the QB and WRs for it. Would be exciting to watch. I’d love to see Stidham throw it that much every game 

On 9/16/2018 at 7:08 AM, cole256 said:

what do you think is going to happen rest of the season

LSU looses to Mississippi State and Ole Miss. We win out looking unstoppable doing it and all is right with the world again. 

I think half the problem we saw last week will improve this week. Steele owned the problem and he will fix it next week. Look for better checks at the line by DBs from here on out . Watch some shift from man only to some combo man/zone. Also he will stunt more and bring extra pass rushing . I think on OL we will see some changes at guard and Center. Not sure exactly how that will work I would assume that we were actually playing the ones we thought were best already. I don’t think RB or WR is a problem. I think it’s a matter of scheme and combinations to get these guys in the best place. We need more of Asa and the wheel route. Also everyone talks about Swartz speed but the guy has great hands too. My biggest worry at the moment is JS. He has regressed fromlast year in my opinion. Maybe it’s more pressure from being able to make calls under center. He started last year with happy feat then got much better towards the end of the season. But so far this year he is still working with happy feet. Not going thru his progression. Leaving open receivers running down the field and throwing behind his receivers . Hope they get that fixed.

Today I see us losing the Texas A&M game as well as the Ugag and Bama games.  I think we will struggle with the Ole Miss WR talent but we should beat them due to their D being horrible.  I think we handle MSU but the Ole Miss game scares me if it is close going into the 4th quarter in a shootout.

15 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think half the problem we saw last week will improve this week. Steele owned the problem and he will fix it next week. Look for better checks at the line by DBs from here on out . Watch some shift from man only to some combo man/zone. Also he will stunt more and bring extra pass rushing . I think on OL we will see some changes at guard and Center. Not sure exactly how that will work I would assume that we were actually playing the ones we thought were best already. I don’t think RB or WR is a problem. I think it’s a matter of scheme and combinations to get these guys in the best place. We need more of Asa and the wheel route. Also everyone talks about Swartz speed but the guy has great hands too. My biggest worry at the moment is JS. He has regressed fromlast year in my opinion. Maybe it’s more pressure from being able to make calls under center. He started last year with happy feat then got much better towards the end of the season. But so far this year he is still working with happy feet. Not going thru his progression. Leaving open receivers running down the field and throwing behind his receivers . Hope they get that fixed.

JS has indeed regressed. He has not put a complete all SEC type game yet this season which he really needed to do during the last couple prime time games 

I don't think Gus really has any motivation to win, at this point. Giving him that buyout was a suicide move, and we might have to suffer the consequences of JJ's final insult (thank GOD he's gone!). I'd say if we win our next six games, then Liberty, then bowl, it would be an acceptable season (two straight 10 win seasons, however likely or unlikely that may be)--the problem would be the ramifications of rivalry losses on recruiting.

Certainly anything below 9-4 and his seat deserves to be nuclear going into next year, but again, that buyout takes A LOT of the leverage off. I hate sounding like I want an employee to be desperate to keep his job, but we're talking about a multi-millionaire here, not someone earning minimum wage and struggling to pay the bills.

OL is an obvious problem, but I think a lot of our ills will be cured if Gus and staff embrace the idea that this team is built for finesse.

Our front 4 needs to get pressure.

We lost a hard fought game in a heartbreaker. This is a step up from our HC Gussing it up like he has in the past. This is why I'm only disappointed and not pissed at the loss.

Look, we lost to the current #6 team in the country by 1 point as time was expiring. It hurts more because we had them on the ropes (like last year), but this is in no way a bad loss in the eyes of those who matter -- The CFP committee. The tough part about it is that we promptly turned around and used up all of our margin for error that we gained from beating UW. Now we must run the table. Which is not impossible, but we could've afforded to not win the division had we gone into Amen Corner without any losses, now we we need to win 10 in a row. 

Good thing is, we have every opportunity to play our way back into this thing. Now is when our schedule is actually a blessing rather than a curse. Because if we beat those teams on our schedule we are in the playoffs no matter what. Yes, I'm concerned about the OL and our secondary but the fact is our season, at this very moment in time, is not done. We thought we were done with 2 losses last year after LSU. We only have 1 loss with 3/4 of our schedule in front of us.

I hope Gus stays true to trying to remain aggressive and does not coach scared. I still think we have a chance against anyone in the nation. Fact is, we did not play very well on Saturday and still had a chance to win the game. The game turned on the no-call on the big pass to Slayton. Something about the reffing for this game reminded me of the Miss State game in 2014. Either way, some shuffling on the OL may go a long way for us. It certainly has in the past.

Also, count me in on the Gus + dual threat QB. His QBs are not good at scanning the entire field. Sean White was the only one good at this it felt like but he came in knowing how to do this. Gus cannot seem to teach his QBs to be better. This is why I think a QB who's legs can punish a defense is paramount for Gus' offense. It saves him from bad playcalls and also allows our O to pick up yardage during otherwise poor plays

50 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I don't think Gus really has any motivation to win, at this point. Giving him that buyout was a suicide move, and we might have to suffer the consequences of JJ's final insult (thank GOD he's gone!). I'd say if we win our next six games, then Liberty, then bowl, it would be an acceptable season (two straight 10 win seasons, however likely or unlikely that may be)--the problem would be the ramifications of rivalry losses on recruiting.

First of all, Gus isn't that kind of man/person.  Yes, he and his agent bent AU over a barrel and used any leverage the Arkansas (lol what a joke) threats could get an extension at the most opportune time possible last season.  But Gus is not a money hungry man that would take AU's $$ and then back off his motivation to do his job to the best of his ability.  I just think he has more character and his conscience wouldn't allow him to pull something like that.

Second, Jay Jacobs was totally and completely out of the decision making process that approved Gus's contract and extension.  In fact Jacob's voluntarily removed himself from the discussions, negotiations and the approval process relative to CGM.  So JJ imposed no insults that Auburn will have to suffer consequences in the future. 

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

It's tough, because they made some really great plays on Saturday, and made some other really great plays that were taken away from them, but they also gave up some big plays on critical downs. The talent is apparent - just need more consistency? 

That was sarcasm

3 hours ago, DAG said:

JS has indeed regressed. He has not put a complete all SEC type game yet this season which he really needed to do during the last couple prime time games 

I’m wondering if he is to focused on the NFL. I like the guy and I wish the best for him but if he doesn’t pick his game up he is going to be a  un-drafted free agent come next May.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

OL is an obvious problem, but I think a lot of our ills will be cured if Gus and staff embrace the idea that this team is built for finesse.

Our front 4 needs to get pressure.

We lost a hard fought game in a heartbreaker. This is a step up from our HC Gussing it up like he has in the past. This is why I'm only disappointed and not pissed at the loss.

Look, we lost to the current #6 team in the country by 1 point as time was expiring. It hurts more because we had them on the ropes (like last year), but this is in no way a bad loss in the eyes of those who matter -- The CFP committee. The tough part about it is that we promptly turned around and used up all of our margin for error that we gained from beating UW. Now we must run the table. Which is not impossible, but we could've afforded to not win the division had we gone into Amen Corner without any losses, now we we need to win 10 in a row. 

Good thing is, we have every opportunity to play our way back into this thing. Now is when our schedule is actually a blessing rather than a curse. Because if we beat those teams on our schedule we are in the playoffs no matter what. Yes, I'm concerned about the OL and our secondary but the fact is our season, at this very moment in time, is not done. We thought we were done with 2 losses last year after LSU. We only have 1 loss with 3/4 of our schedule in front of us.

I hope Gus stays true to trying to remain aggressive and does not coach scared. I still think we have a chance against anyone in the nation. Fact is, we did not play very well on Saturday and still had a chance to win the game. The game turned on the no-call on the big pass to Slayton. Something about the reffing for this game reminded me of the Miss State game in 2014. Either way, some shuffling on the OL may go a long way for us. It certainly has in the past.

Also, count me in on the Gus + dual threat QB. His QBs are not good at scanning the entire field. Sean White was the only one good at this it felt like but he came in knowing how to do this. Gus cannot seem to teach his QBs to be better. This is why I think a QB who's legs can punish a defense is paramount for Gus' offense. It saves him from bad playcalls and also allows our O to pick up yardage during otherwise poor plays

I disagree about the front four. If you go back and review it as some have said and I have verified by re-watching the game, LSU kept 7 to 9 players in to block those four guys . That meant we had 7 guys to cover 2 or 3 backs and couldn’t get it done. I fault KS on this . If you see this happening you have to bring the blitz . You can’t give a QB that much time. 

Archived